Bangkok Earth Tremor?

Journalist

same here....33rd floor Sathorn

One condo at Thong Lor, at 34th floor, has been dormant for years. 8 years, according to missing new buildings from the area view. I would not live in a building that high, especially not be that high myself.

The place, inside, was (and is) a value for money. But no takers.

BKK buildings are not built to whitstand earthquakes. It's not Japanese construction standard.

There were posts here, after the tsunami, about the exodus of tenants from high rise buildings.

One condo at Thong Lor, at 34th floor, has been dormant for years. 8 years, according to missing new buildings from the area view. I would not live in a building that high, especially not be that high myself.

What's it like? How much do they want for it? Any idea?

Felt nothing whatsoever here (Asoke, near Petchaburi). Quite disappointed actually. About 7.30 was it?

What's it like? How much do they want for it? Any idea?

Felt nothing whatsoever here (Asoke, near Petchaburi). Quite disappointed actually. About 7.30 was it?

30K ? For a 80sqm 2BR 2 BT. I forgot now but the building is quite a prominent one. If you insist, maybe I can pull that ad again.

Living in Japan, I know all about earthquakes. One tipped over a glass that I was just about to reach..Power lines were swinging like a jumping rope.

Another one almost rocked me out of my bed.

No cracks, nothing happened.

BKK buildings are not built to whitstand earthquakes. It's not Japanese construction standard.

There were posts here, after the tsunami, about the exodus of tenants from high rise buildings.

Not true in theory. All recent and new buildings in Bangkok should be designed and constructed with seismic loads considered. T stress "in theory" and "should" as we all know how strictly building regs are enforced in Thailand.

You may be correct in that the buildings are not designed in accordance with Japanese standards as parts of them may be well OTT for the minor tremors experienced in Bangkok. However design standards do not define in absolute terms the design details for building with seismic resistance. They will define seismic factors dependant on location, building type, occupancy and importance and from these the loads on the structure are calculated and the design is then based on standard engineering practices modified by the seismic standard as necessary. They could just as easily utilise American or New Zealand standards with similar results.

Yep, I was in my condo on 33rd floor for both of the tsunami tremors - one on Boxing Day and the secondary on Easter Monday. Last night's was much milder by comparision, but even the tsunami ones weren't that bad (according to my partner, who is Japanese, and has lived through them there). All I can say is that it was a bit unnerving.

The tremors here (all three times) were probably only about 1 on the richter scale, and if that's as bad as it gets, Bangkok's buildings will be fine.

Edited by samtam