Increasing Your Lung Capacity...

desi

the early stages of emphysema (which my grandmother died from).

That sounds serious. Are you going to get any treatment for it? Any follow ups? Are you seeing a pulmonologist?

I've also been recently diagnosed with emphysema by CAT scan at Bumrungrad, that is on top of near 50% lung capacity I already lost to a very rare disease called LCH involving my lungs. And yes, I've too quit smoking for almost 15 years.

I also use two air purifiers with HEPA filter. I've learned that the suspended particulate matter from diesel fume is a high risk factor for lung cancer so I'm hoping HEPA filters might remove them (I keep all windows in my condo closed anyway even though I live slightly off the center from the city). Pulmonogist at Bumrungrad told me some people are more prone to develop emphysema from air pollution than others (even though they may never have smoked in their life). You can get tested for that (expensive).

Edited by Nordlys

the early stages of emphysema (which my grandmother died from).

That sounds serious. Are you going to get any treatment for it? Any follow ups? Are you seeing a pulmonologist?

Hi Nordlys, right now everything is up in the air. Although I've had asthma for years, the tests say it's a possibility of asthma and the early stages of emphysema, not a given. So we are still at the 'lets throw a bunch of tests at it before we say it's so' stage.

No, I'm not seeing a a pulmonologist (yet). But I'll ask about getting an appointment (thank goodness for decent insurance).

I've also been recently diagnosed with emphysema by CAT scan at Bumrungrad, that is on top of near 50% lung capacity I already lost to a very rare disease called LCH involving my lungs. And yes, I've too quit smoking for almost 15 years.

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. After watching my grandmother struggle to get across the room, I have a personal fear of emphysema. I'll ask them about getting a CAT scan during my next visit as I'm tired of all this waiting around. The only time I've been decently sick, it took doctors in the US, UK (England and Scotland), France and Borneo almost ten years to figure out the problem. And I did most of that myself in the end just via googling.

Yes, from past experiences, I'm not going to do a lot of waiting around for doctors to fix everything...

I also use two air purifiers with HEPA filter. I've learned that the suspended particulate matter from diesel fume is a high risk factor for lung cancer so I'm hoping HEPA filters might remove them (I keep all windows in my condo closed anyway even though I live slightly off the center from the city). Pulmonogist at Bumrungrad told me some people are more prone to develop emphysema from air pollution than others (even though they may never have smoked in their life). You can get tested for that (expensive).

Do you wear a mask outside?

I'm starting with just the one HEPA air cleaner, then I move it to the bedroom at night. I'll go through the cost of another in a few months as they are expensive and I've had a run of large expenses lately.

I arrived here from Borneo with 6 air filters (I went through the haze), but couldn't find any filters for them so donated all six to whoever before moving to this condo. They weren't HEPA and the filters had to be exchanged out new each week, so no great loss.

Today was the first time I kept my windows closed in the condo. But, I did go out for a walk around 10am no problem.

When I first started coming to Thailand in the 90's, everyone smoked and the air quality in BK was horrible. Now things have improved a good deal (here's hoping it gets better...)

So far I've been keeping a positive outlook due to the improvement in air quality just with the HEPA alone. I'd seriously suggest everyone in BK to get one, breathing problems or not.

Central are having a Midnight sale with some air-purifiers going for 50pc discount.

Today I bought a Toshiba model CAF-C4A with remote control which has an ion generator, HEPA filter, deoderant filter and anti-bacteria filter and designed for max. floor area of 32 sq. m. for 8,950 baht.

No idea if this model is any good but the price was right.

(Bought at Central, Silom Complex)

Yours sounds like a bargain! The one I bought was also on sale, but not half off - HEPA filter, 50 sq metres for under 30 thou baht.

It's a new model and seems to work fine. Today was a day of turning the house upside down to make it as dust free as possible and I didn't get ill (just a sneeze or two). I'm thinking the HEPA kept up with it? I usually need to vacate for a night or two if book dust gets disturbed so this was a switch.

I believe the maid understands how it's going to work - do not use a small brush on the dense fabric furniture (use the Dyson w furniture adaptor) - do not use a feather duster on books (use a small brush, book by book - a DustBuster is on my mind but won't fit the present pocket book...) - do not sweap dust (use a dust mop).

Tomorrow the AC guys are out to super clean and spray an anti-mite / germ chemical into the units.

A Xaphoon Pocket Sax arrives early Sept. An if anyone is interested, this is the company I ordered from while I try and source these products in BK (my first shot at it failed).

Slooooooooooowly...

try this i bought 1 a long time ago and it does work!

//www.powerbreathe.com

Excellent find! Especially the drug-free part. And the fact that I can get it on the NHS.

How much did you pay? (I can't find a price).

(A pity it can't bang out a tune too :-)

I'm in the quiet part of Ari (part way to the army base), which is a lot cleaner than the Soi Ari side.

And after buying a condo and going through months of a reno hades, I can't see moving until I tackle all available options and then some.

When I lived on the Soi Ari side, I had to clean off the patio furniture and floors daily if I wanted to enjoy being outside without coming back in with black feet and more.

Over here, I haven't had to clean the seat cushions at all (now here a year). And the tops of the washer and dryer only need a wipe down every two weeks or so (and even then it's minor dust, not black soot).

And even though they have medications to increase the air passages (I dislike pills, nose sprays and atomisers), I'm leaning towards a proactive (hate the buzz word but it fits) treatment. Like playing the flute.

After googling, I read that almost any musical instrument such as the trumpet (not a good idea in a condo) or bagpipes (again, not a good idea) would help to increase lung capacity.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? And no, I'm not the type to play a didgeridoo... at least I don't think I am...

Why not just buy a packet of ballons and blow these up regularly in the comfort of your own home, NO NOISE and LOTS of LUNG excercise :o

Why not just buy a packet of ballons and blow these up regularly in the comfort of your own home, NO NOISE and LOTS of LUNG excercise :o

I might just do that while waiting for the Xaphoon Pocket Sax to arrive. I did purchase a local flute while in Ayutthaya, but when practicing during the drive back to BK, my friend threatened to pitch me out of the car if I continued on.

Do you wear a mask outside?

Apology for my belated response.

No, I don't wear mask outside. I just cover my nose and mouth with hand towel when I cross road but I'm never really outside in town long enough that I feel I need to wear a mask (and I get around by car), but I used to wear one I bought at a bike shop when I rode bicycle in town late at night when I just moved to Bangkok. But the mask was suffocating me and it took pleasure away from it and of course it didn't take me too long to realize I was doing myself more harm than good by putting myself in a grave danger of getting involved in road accident before the air pollution would have caued long term health effect, with or without mask.

Yours sounds like a bargain! The one I bought was also on sale, but not half off - HEPA filter, 50 sq metres for under 30 thou baht.

It's a new model and seems to work fine. Today was a day of turning the house upside down to make it as dust free as possible and I didn't get ill (just a sneeze or two). I'm thinking the HEPA kept up with it? I usually need to vacate for a night or two if book dust gets disturbed so this was a switch.

Air Purifiers are sold in Thailand at outrageous price for some reason. I have Toshiba models CAF-E5A and CAF-E4A. CAF-E5A cost me 21,900 Baht when I bought it two years ago. I did a bit of research checking its price in Japan on internet and found that the same model was sold for as low as 4,800 Baht in Japan. It also comes from the same factory in Thailand (one I bought had packaging written entirely in Japanese). It has since dropped out of Toshiba product line up in Japan and replaced by new model for at least twice, while in Thailand they still sell the exact same model at exact same price I bought two years ago. There's air purifier with HEPA filter (and ionizier) available for my Toyota which I'm contemplating buying, but it comes at hefty price of 13,000 Baht.

At any rate air purifiers are not versatile nor almighty. Like I said it will remove dust and SPM but it won't remove fume like carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nicotine, photochemical smog, etc (carbon layer of the filter might remove some nicotine but then activated carbon won't last too long anyway).

One thing that bothers me living where I live which is a bit off the CBD in rather quiet neighborhood of Bangkok is that there's a housing complex for the military nearby my condo and they burn trash out in open field in their premises which can be a real nuisance depending on which way the wind is blowing (or when there's no wind at all). They're right opposite the fire station and I have made complaints through my condo management contractor and the fire department but that obviously didn't seem to have stopped them and I'm now starting to seriously consider moving out of this place although it's not an easy option as I own my unit here and it's a bit of a hassle buying another condo let along moving.

Edited by Nordlys

But the mask was suffocating me and it took pleasure away from it and of course it didn't take me too long to realize I was doing myself more harm than good by putting myself in a grave danger of getting involved in road accident before the air pollution would have caued long term health effect, with or without mask.

I'd have the same problem. But it's also too hot for me to wear a mask. If I put anything on my head or feet that does not allow breathing, I'm a mass of sweat. Same with a mask. During the Haze one of my clients brought back official masks from the UK. They had HUGE filters on each of the cheeks. In no way could I wear that over my face.

There's air purifier with HEPA filter (and ionizier) available for my Toyota which I'm contemplating buying, but it comes at hefty price of 13,000 Baht.

Ouch. I had an ionizer in Borneo, but I'm sure it didn't do anything much.

At any rate air purifiers are not versatile nor almighty. Like I said it will remove dust and SPM but it won't remove fume like carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nicotine, photochemical smog, etc (carbon layer of the filter might remove some nicotine but then activated carbon won't last too long anyway).

Yesterday I had the house sprayed for termites. Last night I ended up sleeping on the sofa as the smell in the bedrooms was too strong to be around. Even with the HEPA. The smell is still here today...

One thing that bothers me living where I live which is a bit off the CBD in rather quiet neighborhood of Bangkok is that there's a housing complex for the military nearby my condo and they burn trash out in open field in their premises which can be a real nuisance depending on which way the wind is blowing (or when there's no wind at all). They're right opposite the fire station and I have made complaints through my condo management contractor and the fire department but that obviously didn't seem to have stopped them and I'm now starting to seriously consider moving out of this place although it's not an easy option as I own my unit here and it's a bit of a hassle buying another condo let along moving.

Having to move after you've bought is a real pity. From what I've heard, it's difficult to sell (?). I couldn't even contemplate the problems you'd need to face. Could you just let it out instead of selling? (scrambling here...)

Luckily, I'm far enough away from both the military compounds and government housing that I don't get any backlash (although the short cut to Villa is through the gov housing rat infested car park).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? And no, I'm not the type to play a didgeridoo... at least I don't think I am...

your name lets me assume you are a Lady... perhaps blowjobs increase lung capacity? :o

Hmmm... I believe you don't quite have the concept down... good try though :D

I smoked 40 cigarettes a day for just over forty years and in the course of my life ended up living and working in some pretty polluted places. Living in Chiang Mai I would get chest/respiratory infections on a regular basis and even a minor infection became a serious event requiring antibiotics. Sixteen months ago I moved to Phuket, gave up smoking and began to exercise - today I am as fit as a fiddle, my lungs are free and clear and I don't run out of breath even during strenuous aerobic exercise. The biggest win for me personally is that I have only had one minor throat infection in the past sixteen months and this was two weeks ago following a visit to Chiang Mai (hmm he says to himself) and whereas before this would have certainly gone to my chest and become serious, on this occasion it stayed away from my chest and eventually went away - for the fist time in a long long time I had a normal cold like anyone else and it ended without becoming a medical event.

So, to answer the questions raised thus far:

Can I improve my lung capacity? - yes, with regular exercise and by living in a clean environment you will be amazed at the difference.

Will long term living in the city catch up with me? - almost certainly, eventually.

As Sheryl said, some of these changes can make a world of difference.

I doubt very much your throat irritation would have been caused by a trip to Chiang mai. As you can find on the graph, the air in Chiang mai is much cleaner than the air in Phuket at this time of year.

http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/G...?task=graphsite

A brand new IQ Health Pro Plus air purifier, probably the most capable product on the market covers 900 square feet usage and costs circa $750 in the US. If anyone can figure out how to get a couple into Thailand without paying ridiculous import fees, I'll have two please.

Edited by chiang mai

Hi Khun Desi,

I've read most of your replies, and I think you have lots of good advice, but I'd like to add my opinion that you need to evaluate the symptoms in light of your total physical health and mental health. Have you had a standard cardio test ? Is this a time of unusual major life changes and/or stress in your life ?

Once you have excluded any major problem in the body's vital systems, then I think you will be in a position to evaluate which of many alternatives (aerobic exercise, yoga breathing [pranayama], swimming, etc.) and what environmental improvement (air cleaner, etc.) might be useful.

I practice pranayama regularly (as a preparation for meditation), and I am convinced it has really increased my already excellent lung-power. And I think the great body of scientific research supporting the value of aerobic exercise for vascularisation, cardiac efficiency, and therapeutic impact on many forms of stress-related illnesses (from acid reflux to migraine, yes, even on allergies) might suggest you consider evaluating your current exercise regimen to make sure you are reaching and maintaining the minimum intensity level of cardio-vascular exertion over a long enough time period that you are getting the aerobic benefits.

best wishes for your health, ~o:37;

Hi Khun Desi,

I've read most of your replies, and I think you have lots of good advice, but I'd like to add my opinion that you need to evaluate the symptoms in light of your total physical health and mental health. Have you had a standard cardio test ? Is this a time of unusual major life changes and/or stress in your life ?

No the the treadmill test. Yes to major life changes (which brings on stress). The major changes were put in place to free my life of stress. Hah. It backfired.

I practice pranayama regularly (as a preparation for meditation), and I am convinced it has really increased my already excellent lung-power.

I did a search on pranayama. Sounds good. I was in the process of digging out a Hatha Yoga course to get into breathing exercises, but pranayama lessons via

might be just as good.

It sounds odd, but right now I'm trying to get my breath back after cleaning up the life around me to get on the road to health. Getting the maid to do a super clean brought up all sorts of book dust, etc. Having the ac men do the same with the units, ditto. Then there was the termite men who were a little too generous with their poison. So I'm worse off for awhile.

Wth the advice I've read, walking (outside in the early am, and a air walker inside), yoga, and playing some sort of flute suits my present pace. When I'm stronger I'll bring more in (like swimming).

best wishes for your health, ~o:37;

Thank you for your thoughts.

Many people find that simply moving from Bangkok to a place with good air quality makes a world of difference.

I'm sure, but unless it gets back to the air quality of the haze days, I'm dug into BK. Changmai is the only other option in Thailand and the air is horrible there.

But I'm more looking for suggestions on what type of instrument I could learn.

air quality affects me. instrument, hmm have to look at that as its good news... Didgeridoo dontcha love it

air quality affects me. instrument, hmm have to look at that as its good news... Didgeridoo dontcha love it

Yeah, but when does someone go to Oz? :o

While I'm waiting for my instrument to arrive, I grabbed one of those cheap tourist flutes. The holes don't really work, but it's useful for the meantime as it creates a pressure to blow against (harder than breathing).

And it drives the cats batty!

Google Buteyko. I had declining asthma and began seeing a practitioner here in BKK a month or so ago. I have had my only medication free days in 20 years after a few weeks practice. It does require a commitment to the exercises but in my experience works wonders. It is based on the principle that to absorb more oxygen we actually need to breathe less. It seems counter-intuitive, but seemingly many of us are actually hyperventilating which decreases our C02 levels which actually carries the 02 to our organs. Anyway there's a wealth of stuff on the 'net and I recommend having a look if you are concerned about breathing difficulties.