No Plan To Revoke Thaksin's Passport Or Seek His Extradition

george

No plan to revoke Thaksin's passport or seek his extradition

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Friday that he has no plans to revoke passports of fugitive prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra or to ask Britain to extradite him.

Thaksin jumped bails on a trial which he was accused of abusing his power to help his wife; Pojaman, to purchase a plot of land. The couple and fled to England last week.

About 2,000 protesters rallied outside the Foreign Ministry on Thursday, demanding that it cancel his passport and work to extradite him from Britain, where the multimillionaire owns several properties and the Manchester City football club.

Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag said on Thursday that Samak will have a final say whether to revoke Thaksin's passports or not.

Responding on questions whether he will revoke Thaksin's passport or seek his extradition, Samak said on Friday, "I have no policy to revoke his passport or doing anything on that.

Thaksin's ouster by the military followed months of huge street protests which accused him of massive corruption and trying to subvert the country's fledgling democracy.

-- The Nation 2008-08-22

:o There's a suprise.

He's better of out of the way as far a Samak is concerned. I do like the Samak sentence, " I have have no policy to revoke his passport or doing anything on that." I'm sure he should have just cut the sentence to, "I have no policies of my own".

More joke politics from the PPP.

Surely such matters as extradition are for the court to decide??

Clearly he is not wanted in Thailand. :o

Sadly, No.

Extradition treaties are between governments, only the government can make an extradition request, it would then be up to the UK courts to hold an extradition hearing, this could be appealed all the way to the House of Lords. Even after that, the Home Secretary...equivalent of Interior Minister has the final say.

I'm also surprised that people think there is more or less automatic political asylum for Thaksin, not the case at all, a lot of human rights people keeping a very careful watch on this....

Edited by roamer

What I find even more staggering about this government is that 5 PPP members went to the British Embassy armed with documents to persuade the Ambassador to support Taksin's request for exile.

I an sure that this is a case of perverting the course of justice - another criminal offense to add to their already vast portfolio.

What I find even more staggering about this government is that 5 PPP members went to the British Embassy armed with documents to persuade the Ambassador to support Taksin's request for exile.

I an sure that this is a case of perverting the course of justice - another criminal offense to add to their already vast portfolio.

I do hope that the Ambassador listened very intently and then adroitly switched the conversation round to more important matters.

" Would you care for a little more tea? Another bun perhaps?" :o:D :D

This being Thailand I would not be surprised if a sheaf of documents was all they took along. Did a certain cake tin (sans cake) put in an appearance I wonder.

For reasons that I don't completely understand, it seems that most Thai folks seem to think that the worst punishment possible is not being able to live in Thailand. Is nationalism getting a little extreme?

the PM of Bermuda has said he is ready to welcome Thaksin.

He wants to seek Thaksin's expertise on genocide...

Premier promises to get 'creative' in drug dealing fight

Premier Ewart Brown last night said action against drug dealers in Bermuda will soon get so tough people may think it will infringe their human rights.

Speaking in a question-and-answer session at Camden House, Brown said: "On our watch, the drug dealers ought to pay attention. We are going to take steps that are going to be significant in Bermuda. Some of you may even believe those steps are too draconian. You might start talking about human rights."

The Premier did not reveal specific details of the crackdown, but did say: "The time has come for us to be creative. We have to do what we have to do."

- The Royal Gazette (Hamilton, Bermuda) / TODAY

Let's not forget that just 8 months ago his incarnates (PPP) were voted into power. The fact is, he is wanted in Thailand by the people in the northeast and they comprise the majority of voters. Scary isn't it?

Do you infer that democracy scares some people ?

Weird, but somehow I'm not that surprised....

Let's not forget that just 8 months ago his incarnates (PPP) were voted into power. The fact is, he is wanted in Thailand by the people in the northeast and they comprise the majority of voters. Scary isn't it?

Not sure if democracy scares people away, but vote buying sure does reel in a bunch. :D

A majority of a majority is not necessarily a majority. Remember that the PPP was not voted into power. The ruling coalition was formed from the PPP + ostensibly anti-Thaksin parties.

Perhaps Old Man still cherishes his old values and refuses to reconsider them just because of some "democratic election", especially if it was done in Thai style.

Thaksin has commited enough crimes to ban him from politics forever, but Isanese still want him, and that's scary - their values are so much different from ours, and even from what is put into the Thai law. From our point of view Thaksin supporters are truly fuc_ked up people, and if they live in Isan, well, that casts a bad light on the whole region, though it would be politically incorrect to tarnish all Isanese with the same brush but for the sake of generalisation...

Clearly he is not wanted in Thailand. :D

I have had to put up with my Thai wife in the USA getting up at all hours of the night to turn on ASTV....(She is from Surin). When she has had some pretty heated talks with relatives at home, the consistent story is...."Why should we hate Thaskin, he gave us more money to vote for him than anyone else offered?!!!!!" Democracy....I think not...

Look at what has happened....you take a lot of minimal educated people have the government offer to loan money against the land they eek out a living on, then when they cannot pay, (in fact they never even tried to consider how they could repay the money), government takes the land, sell it to government employees, and keep the poor Thai farmer, even poorer....

Look no further than Zimbabwe to see the far side of this kind of a policy....

Certainly IMHO Thaskin and his family gene pool should be eliminated. :o

Against what I wanted to do, we have picked up some of this land rather than letting it be forfeited to the government.

Perhaps Old Man still cherishes his old values and refuses to reconsider them just because of some "democratic election", especially if it was done in Thai style.

Thaksin has commited enough crimes to ban him from politics forever, but Isanese still want him, and that's scary - their values are so much different from ours, and even from what is put into the Thai law. From our point of view Thaksin supporters are truly fuc_ked up people, and if they live in Isan, well, that casts a bad light on the whole region, though it would be politically incorrect to tarnish all Isanese with the same brush but for the sake of generalisation...

Different people will have different ideas about what is "scary".

I would be interested to know who exactly is meant by "our" when you say "our point of view".

Does this mean you are against democracy ?? What would you prefer ? As for your other comment, it implies that not withstanding your desire to be politically correct, you have a low opinion of people in the provinces. All your comments seem to indicate that you are , or would like to be, a member of the Thai armed forces ????

I would be interested to know who exactly is meant by "our" when you say "our point of view".

I suppose you can count all corruption charges and the drug war as being against "our" common values, give or take. Who exactly shares these values? Basically anyone who is not a die hard Thaksin supporter, even PAD opponents like you or old Colpyat.

Does this mean you are against democracy ?? What would you prefer ? As for your other comment, it implies that not withstanding your desire to be politically correct, you have a low opinion of people in the provinces. All your comments seem to indicate that you are , or would like to be, a member of the Thai armed forces ????

I'm against so called "democracy" overriding most basic human values. That is - "democracy" is not above the law.

If I measure Thaksin supporters against my set of values, yes, my opinion is quite low. Maybe they don't know any better yet. In the beginning the explanation was that they were brainwashed by government propaganda. Now, with ASTV being so popular and many people changing their minds about him, it no longer holds.

They've been given access to alternative information, they've seen that he was really stealing through tax evasion, they've seen that he tried to rig April 2006 elections, they've seen him badmouthing his onw country, they've seen him running away instead of defending himself, they've seen how he divided the country, even split families. Whoever is left in that camp is seriously lacking in intellegence - I mean, who in his right mind would think that Thaksin could somehow bring back the good days of 2003??? They'll be dreaming about those days for ages, that's granted, but to take this daydreaming seriously requires complete suspense of thinking abilities.

For reasons that I don't completely understand, it seems that most Thai folks seem to think that the worst punishment possible is not being able to live in Thailand. Is nationalism getting a little extreme?

How can it possibly get more extreme than here in Thailand?!! It really really cannot. And yes, in the average Thai's mind, those who do not have the funds to travel (most of them) and find out for themselves if they might not like living in another country for a bit, not being able to live in Thailand is worse than having your genitals fed to the soi dogs. Whilst they are still attached to your body.

Heard on the PAD stage that the PM of Bermuda has said he is ready to welcome Thaksin.

They are wondering if the square headed man willl fly through the triangle. :o

I read that the 12 billion baht the Revenue Dept want unfrozen may have Bermuda as its final destination.

Regarding the working class support for Thaksin, the Democrats and Thaksin's opponents have got to realise it was his policies they loved, not the pastry faced, square headed man himself.

It's all been said a hundred times but until the Democrats get together some programmes aimed at the majority working class they are condemned to sit on the Opposition benches. I like Korn, he has some good ideas for the rural sector, strong coperatives for rice farmers is an excellent idea, but Apphisit? He can't cook food for soldiers, can he talk to vendors like Thaksin can?

Perhaps the Democrats need to set up a new party in Issan with sustainable populist policies because the present party is seen as southern orientated and hostile to Issanites. A red card from the EC could be a blessing in disguise!

Sonthi Limtongkun was a hero in my mind for his role in exposing and ousting Thaksin, but his absurd 'new' politics of 70% appointed MPs and his 'descendants of Chinese save the Nation' T shirts have alienated many.

How can Suriyasai from Sisaket stand by idly?

I won't be surprised if there is a rift in the PAD and this 'final' rally is a way to'climb down the ladder'.

Some middle class Bangkokians just don't get the emotional effect Thaksin has had on many people. For the first time in their lives policies were directed at benefitting them, Thaksin's financial crimes are seen as mere white collar offences whilst the drug war was supported by nearly all, when I'm at home in Ban Pai, Khon Kaen, misdeeds in the stock market, etc seem a long way away.

And now in Bangkok the working class are appreciating the free buses programme, when you only earn 6,000 baht a month,savings of 20 to 30 baht a day are significant.

Thailand needs new politics where MPs really work for their constituents, not their party boss, they need decent salaries and corruption must be punished promptly and fairly.

Perhaps the courts have begun, the rest of us must follow.

I'm against so called "democracy" overriding most basic human values. That is - "democracy" is not above the law.

Be honnest :

" I'm against so called "democracy" overriding most basic "Plus" (yourself) values ."

If people don't think like you, they are wrong.

You're against democracy it it doesn't go your way

You're against democracy

Now things are clear !

I suppose you can count all corruption charges and the drug war as being against "our" common values, give or take. Who exactly shares these values? Basically anyone who is not a die hard Thaksin supporter, even PAD opponents like you or old Colpyat.

If I measure Thaksin supporters against my set of values, yes, my opinion is quite low. Maybe they don't know any better yet. In the beginning the explanation was that they were brainwashed by government propaganda. Now, with ASTV being so popular and many people changing their minds about him, it no longer holds.

They've been given access to alternative information, they've seen that he was really stealing through tax evasion, they've seen that he tried to rig April 2006 elections, they've seen him badmouthing his onw country, they've seen him running away instead of defending himself, they've seen how he divided the country, even split families. Whoever is left in that camp is seriously lacking in intellegence - I mean, who in his right mind would think that Thaksin could somehow bring back the good days of 2003??? They'll be dreaming about those days for ages, that's granted, but to take this daydreaming seriously requires complete suspense of thinking abilities.

Although I don't care for Taksin much I would have to say there was nothing ' so called ' about his democracy since it was the result of the ballot box. An example of ' so called ' democracy would be Democratic Kampuchea, led by the great humanitarian , Pol Pot. I'm sure non of his victims remember voting to be killed.

I'm surprised that you mention propaganda and ASTV in the same paragraph given that it is Sondhis own mouthpiece. About as unbiased as PTV.

As for tax evasion...this popular activity is strictly speaking, not against the law. Sondhi also evades taxes as do most of the Thai military. The Tax office once tried to shame tax evaders by taking out a double spread in the Bangkok Post listing the top 100 taxpayers in Thailand. There were very few Thai names on the list.

Still, you have at least nailed your colours to the mast for all to see. You are against democracy if it doesn't suit your sensibilities and feel that as a Bangkokian you are the intellectual superiour of anyone who does not share your views. Hmmm as for people seriously lacking in intellegence try to unravel this simple sentance.

Calling the black pot the kettle .

At least Thaksin just lost his say that the government isn't his pals...

Nothing changed and of course they do not want to have him back, Thaksin in jail would be a nightmare a recipe for a civil war. A deal has been reached months ago. He will leave, his money will be confiscated by the tax authorities, they take the back taxes and the fine and the remainder is returned to his son and daughter who owned the company on paper anyhow. It looks by the way that you do not have a clue of what is going on outside Bangkok. Thaksin or his stand in, as long as it is clear that he or she has Thaksin's support would win any election with two fingers in the nose.

You need two things to have democracy: i) voting and ii) good governance, to contain abuse of power by the people that get elected. Thailand does not have a decent system of governance, that's why its democracy is struggling. In a true democracy getting elected does not give a politician carte blanche.