Information About The Fair

earlofwindermere

I just received an email about a big expo/fair this weekend at the old Floral Expo site (Rachapruek). The email said that it's a giant OTOP-like event going on Sat and Sun. Can anyone provide more details?

I noticed it on the TAT website - http://www.tatnews.org/events/events/2008/august/3883.asp

I was thinking of going down there but it's a bit hot today and lethargy has set in. Anyone know if it's worth a visit?

A friend of mine sent me this.

-----

This evening we were invited by our Thai friends to go walk around the Royal Flora (Ratchapruek Gardens). There is a fair (something like an OTOP - One Tambon One Product) that is open to the public - for free. Parking is free, entrance is free and they had some wonderful cultural shows happening both outdoors and in the large exhibition hall.

We went there around 5:30 p.m. and first took the 'tram' for a tour of the grounds. (This cost 20 baht for adults, and 10 baht for kids) The last tram leaves some time before 6 p.m.

There were close to 100 vendors (some one compared it to the walking street fair). Lots of food is available to snack on or to have your dinner.

If you do go... make sure you check out the display that is set up in front of the entrance to the exhibition hall. It is a glass enclosed case with wood carvings that depict village life. What makes this incredible is by inserting 10 baht into a coin box, the whole wood carving set comes alive - monkeys swinging on trees, rice being planted, fish being caught - you name it, this scene depicts it!

This 'fair' is running till Sunday (24th) evening, closing at 9 p.m. both nights.

A great place to take a family, and going at 5 p.m. it was getting somewhat more comfortable with the sun beginning to set behind the Doi Suthep