Proof Of Return Flight For Waiver Entry

Having a house here I come and go on waivers and tourist visas, depending on how long I'll be here. Two weeks ago I flew Samui to Singapore and back, no problems. Last week, checking in at Singapore, they asked to see my exit flight from Thailand. This is the first time is probably 4 years I have had this happen, but this time is different. When I said I didn't have one, they were happy to let me board so long as I signed an indemnity form so that the airline (Bangkok Airways) would not be responsible for my onward flight. Not sure if this applies to all airlines, but it's something for anyone in the same postion - ask for the indemnity form if you get questioned.

Edited by simey

Having a house here I come and go on waivers and tourist visas, depending on how long I'll be here. Two weeks ago I flew Samui to Singapore and back, no problems. Last week, checking in at Singapore, they asked to see my exit flight from Thailand. This is the first time is probably 4 years I have had this happen, but this time is different. When I said I didn't have one, they were happy to let me board so long as I signed an indemnity form so that the airline (Bangkok Airways) would not be responsible for my onward flight. Not sure if this applies to all airlines, but it's something for anyone in the same postion - ask for the indemnity form if you get questioned.

I have done that many a time on Emirates from manchester to Bangkok, its normal for one way with out a visa.

I have done that many a time on Emirates from manchester to Bangkok, its normal for one way with out a visa.

You are blessed. You will soon come a cropper. In simple terms, you DO NOT qualify for a 30 day visa exemption without an outbound ticket within 30 days of arrival.

You are blessed. You will soon come a cropper. In simple terms, you DO NOT qualify for a 30 day visa exemption without an outbound ticket within 30 days of arrival.

Yes your correct I am Blessed its called a credit card, been working for 28 years around and around the globe.

But you know everything, dont you.

I've come in on one-way tickets many times already. I've never been asked to show proof of onward travel. Not even Cebu Pacific asked to see a return coming to Thailand 2 weeks ago, neither have Thai Airways asked to see one.

I must say, I've always carried one with me just in case.

Years ago I was asked in Tokyo when heading to Bangkok about onward tickets as on a one way and I just told them I woud buy a ticket in Thailand.

I don't think you need a ticket out of the country to get a 30 day stamp or how would the thousands who go to the border each day get their stamps when loads of them must not have onward flights. Who says you have to fly out anyway ? You could go overland to any number of countries or by boat or whatever.

Of course being able to show funds and credit cards is useful but I am not sure you need to prove you have onward transport arranged do you ?

Years ago I was asked in Tokyo when heading to Bangkok about onward tickets as on a one way and I just told them I woud buy a ticket in Thailand.

I don't think you need a ticket out of the country to get a 30 day stamp or how would the thousands who go to the border each day get their stamps when loads of them must not have onward flights. Who says you have to fly out anyway ? You could go overland to any number of countries or by boat or whatever.

Of course being able to show funds and credit cards is useful but I am not sure you need to prove you have onward transport arranged do you ?

It is a requirement to get the 30 day stamp but rarely enforced

The requirement is clearly stated in law. It is up to the immigration official if he checks or not (just as with the money requirement). For several years they have often been checking on entry from Cambodia and for a brief period this was extended to Bangkok airport entry. Airlines are responsible and often check.

I can understand airlines as they may be forced with the costs of repatriation. Didn't think it was "real" law just one of those other "requirements".

How would they deal with that law if you were to say drive in from Malaysia, intending to return say in XYZ but less than 30 days. With your own car, it wuold be impossible to show proof of onward travel would it not ?

Pedantic I know but TIT !

I can understand airlines as they may be forced with the costs of repatriation. Didn't think it was "real" law just one of those other "requirements".

How would they deal with that law if you were to say drive in from Malaysia, intending to return say in XYZ but less than 30 days. With your own car, it wuold be impossible to show proof of onward travel would it not ?

Pedantic I know but TIT !

But the driver is very likely to have a Thai visa.

Yes your correct I am Blessed its called a credit card, been working for 28 years around and around the globe.

But you know everything, dont you.

I'd hazard a guess that I know a lot more than you.

I have been asked several time, not from Europe (I always come in with a return in any case) but in Hong Kong, Phnom Penh and KL. Singapore they did not ask. Most of these places with Air Asia.

It's a hit and miss, or so it seems, but better safe then sorry, If they stand their ground, you're not flying, costly experience.