$118 Offered As Compensation To Motorcyclist Shot By Policeman

sriracha john

Shot youth pressured to drop case

A relative of the Khon Kaen technical-college student allegedly shot in the leg by a traffic-police officer as he fled a helmet checkpoint said the youth had been pressured to drop charges.

Khampang Pamo, 53, said yesterday that after he brought his nephew, Wittaya Jamwan, 19, back from Khon Kaen Central Hospital on Friday evening, two senior policemen visited them at their Muang district home to intercede for the accused, Senior Sgt-Major Chalong Reungsi.

They urged him to say his wound was from a motorcycle accident following the pursuit and to take Bt4,000 *US$118* "compensation money", Khampang said.

- The Nation / today

Isn't tampering with evidence & witnesses a criminal offense? Will these individuals be investigated..............

Yes I know, I am delusional, but the minister did tell us that Thailand was a nation of laws and that we could count on law enforcement to help us blah blah......oh why do I bother, let me just go slam my head into the wall.

How sad. There should be some NGO out there that can help people like this. I don't know that he needs a lot of compensation, but I do think that the police who told him to lie need to be punished.

The Thai police are scum, they're no better than the mafia. Find me a good Thai cop and I'll find you a pig with wings. I feel sorry for the poor Thais who are the ones who suffer the worst treatment from those so called police.

No, they are the mafia. I am tired of people referring to them as police. They are simply just criminals who wear uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe if you get shot running away from the police you should have to pay $118 for the bullet.

Use of a weapon would be considered 'deadly force'.

Shooting a kid because he wasn't wearing a helmet and so didn't stop when flagged is criminal.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Just out of mainly fun curiosity,which country in se asia would you say has the biggest joke of a police force.Can Thailands finest really compete with Cambodia.i recon Thailand's bib would easily win in the afternoon whiskey drinking contest,& the illegal workers pass me 200 baht race,but with Cambodia's finest surely money can buy you more love. :o

So maybe Thailand should host a police olympics:

Who can drink the most? Bribe the most? Intimidate the most? Sleep the most? etc. etc. Would be interesting, but I don't think I'd want to be a judge.

Just out of mainly fun curiosity,which country in se asia would you say has the biggest joke of a police force.Can Thailands finest really compete with Cambodia.i recon Thailand's bib would easily win in the afternoon whiskey drinking contest,& the illegal workers pass me 200 baht race,but with Cambodia's finest surely money can buy you more love. :o

Thailand has the worst police force in the world. I've spent alot of time in many of the worlds poorest countries,corruption is rampent but you do see some justice. In Thailand the police only care about money, pay them or forget any help.

The Thai police are scum, they're no better than the mafia. Find me a good Thai cop and I'll find you a pig with wings. I feel sorry for the poor Thais who are the ones who suffer the worst treatment from those so called police.

No, they are the mafia. I am tired of people referring to them as police. They are simply just criminals who wear uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less.

You 2 are nothing less than 2 morons!

I know several good Police officers in this country.

They live in small 1-room apartments, being too proud to take any bribes, etc.

They really hate what the majority of their colleagues do.

Naturally they will never testify what their colleagues do.

But nevertheless these guys are honest.

Not all are corrupt!!

You two are the same type of people that fuel the idiotic posts that All brits are loud drunkards, or the Americans step on all people in other countries, or that all Thai ladies are hookers, etc, etc.

Finally, I have never ever had any trouble with the Police here, even long time before I met my (Police) friends.

I have never met any foreigners that personally had to bribe themself out of trouble. Even though I know that happens.

Not all are corrupt!!

You two are the same type of people that fuel the idiotic posts that All brits are loud drunkards, or the Americans step on all people in other countries, or that all Thai ladies are hookers, etc, etc.

Finally, I have never ever had any trouble with the Police here, even long time before I met my (Police) friends.

I have never met any foreigners that personally had to bribe themself out of trouble. Even though I know that happens.

I know quite a few local cops where I live. I've lived here some 14 years now. I converse with them regularly, sometimes teach English to their kids, they might occasionally call me to translate when some expat or tourist has found himself requiring their "attention", etc.

And I wouldn't trust one of them as far as I could throw him...

Not all are corrupt!!

:o Your words not mine..... Which one are you, im guessing the drunk brit..

Not all are corrupt!!

I agree that painting every police officer in Thailand with the same "corruption brush" is ridiculous. Certainly, there are a few that really do take pride in their jobs and don't take many bribes, but be careful about assuming that some are your "friends". I would strongly supect that if it came down to the choice of protecting your butt or making some money from a situation, 99% of Thai cops will opt for the money. These police officers you speak of may be friendly towards you, but that's a lot different than being your friends.

Not all are corrupt!!

I agree that painting every police officer in Thailand with the same "corruption brush" is ridiculous. Certainly, there are a few that really do take pride in their jobs and don't take many bribes, but be careful about assuming that some are your "friends". I would strongly supect that if it came down to the choice of protecting your butt or making some money from a situation, 99% of Thai cops will opt for the money. These police officers you speak of may be friendly towards you, but that's a lot different than being your friends.

NEVER in 20 tears have i met a traffic cop that wasnt on the take, and thats only the bottom rung of the ladder,.

Not all are corrupt!!

They are guilty of breaking the law. They witness crimes being committed daily by their fellow officers and do nothing.

So your honest friends are criminals...blatantly ignoring corruption, shakedowns, bribes and probably worse.

Their all scum.

I have known a number of police officers over the years and corruption is simply a part of their daily operation. First of all, one who isn't really 'corrup' ends up taking money because he is required to provide 'tea money' for his commander--who lets the lower ranks know how much they are expected to give him.

As for a policeman 'reporting' corruption, my guess is he wouldn't live long enough to sign the official complaint form.

The first thing that needs to be done is to clean up the institution itself. They are way too powerful here.

Not all are corrupt!!

NEVER in 20 tears have i met a traffic cop that wasnt on the take, and thats only the bottom rung of the ladder,.

Interesting! I've been stopped by the police three times while driving. Once was on a motorcycle, and I was guilty of not wearing my helmet. The officer would not take any money but insisted that I go to the station to pay the fine. Another was also while riding a motorbike. This time the officer accused me of driving in the outside lane. I held my ground and explained that I was not in that lane. After he threatened me twice by saying that I'd have to go to the police station, I said, "Fine -- no problem. Give me the ticket and I'll go pay it." He finally gave up and sent me on my way without a ticket or paying him. The last time was while driving a car, and this time I was guilty of letting my tax sticker expire. Once again, the officer refused to take any money on the spot but made me drive to the nearest police station to pay the fine.

I guess it's just luck of the draw, but it's intersting that you've NEVER met an honest Thai traffic cop in 20 years, yet 2 out of 3 I've had encouters with appeared to do the proper thing.

Shot youth pressured to drop case

A relative of the Khon Kaen technical-college student allegedly shot in the leg by a traffic-police officer as he fled a helmet checkpoint said the youth had been pressured to drop charges.

Khampang Pamo, 53, said yesterday that after he brought his nephew, Wittaya Jamwan, 19, back from Khon Kaen Central Hospital on Friday evening, two senior policemen visited them at their Muang district home to intercede for the accused, Senior Sgt-Major Chalong Reungsi.

They urged him to say his wound was from a motorcycle accident following the pursuit and to take Bt4,000 *US$118* "compensation money", Khampang said.

- The Nation / today

This is a crimminal act on many levels. At least the policeman's name is out. Why isn't he being charged with something.

Not all are corrupt!!

Absolutely agree.

I know several play it by the book police officers here. One has been in the force for over 30 years and is as sound as they come.

These guys risk their lives for us day in day out. I have nothing but respect and the highest regard for the boys and girls in brown.

The only people that make remarks like to two above (dumb & dumber) are those who have no respect for the law in the first place. The OP quoted that the lad jumped a stopping point before the police drew arms and who knows what else was involved. Police dont just shoot people for the sake of it. I`m sure in this case it was well deserved.

The OP quoted that the lad jumped a stopping point before the police drew arms and who knows what else was involved. Police dont just shoot people for the sake of it. I`m sure in this case it was well deserved.

you're right... he wasn't wearing a helmet... very much deserving of a load of lead in the leg...

Police dont just shoot people for the sake of it. I`m sure in this case it was well deserved.

I'm sure too. Just ask the police here in Pai if you don't believe me.

:o

Or Kanchanaburi.

Isn't it amazing how some in LOS are so badly in need of a reality attack?

I have nothing but respect and the highest regard for the boys and girls in brown.
You want to try riding a bike in Bangkok and then tell me how you feel about the police.

My previous Thai gf used to call them 'Thieves in Uniform'.

Edited by RusticCharm

Seriously.... I hope those of you that are defending Thai police never fall victim to them like I and thousands of others. They DO just shoot people, do some bloody research before saying something so obviously ignorant and uninformed. Im sure there a couple of "nice guys" Thai cops that are very polite to you..... doesn't change the fact that the police force is Thailands mafia and worse than that... they dont help you when you are in legitimate need of police work.