Thailand 'plans' To Ease Restrictions On Foreign Investment

george

If they are going to relax the rules in order to tempt foreign investment, then I doubt 'opening up new sectors' is the carrot they need - relax the rules on the existing allowed businesses.

Drop the ridiculous 4:1 Thai/Foriegn ratio (stops most start up straight off) - and the need for Thai shareholders. Allow continual in-country WP/Visas whilst the company is operating for the owners (OK some restrictions here of course to stop too many Farangs using their 1 share to get a lifetime here, but that's easy enough).

In the long run farangs who work here will put the money straight back into the ecomomy anyway (and giving jobs both in these businesses and by the simple fact that by spending back into the economy people will be needed to provide the services that we are paying for). Taxes return to Thailand and as workers move around, and start up on their own, then Thailand begins to compete in these sectors too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are going to relax the rules in order to tempt foreign investment, then I doubt 'opening up new sectors' is the carrot they need - relax the rules on the existing allowed businesses.

Drop the ridiculous 4:1 Thai/Foriegn ratio (stops most start up straight off) - and the need for Thai shareholders. Allow continual in-country WP/Visas whilst the company is operating for the owners (OK some restrictions here of course to stop too many Farangs using their 1 share to get a lifetime here, but that's easy enough).

In the long run farangs who work here will put the money straight back into the ecomomy anyway (and giving jobs both in these businesses and by the simple fact that by spending back into the economy people will be needed to provide the services that we are paying for). Taxes return to Thailand and as workers move around, and start up on their own, then Thailand begins to compete in these sectors too.

I agree - I have been put off from starting a business in Thailand for many reasons but the ones i really dont like -

1. The 4:1 Thai/Foriegn ratio

2. The need for the buiness to have to earn a minimum amount just to have the right to stay here - what is this all about

- you all already have enough pressure from buisness without BiG Brother governement acting as your " boss " ! :o

Why invest in a place like Thailand anyway? Mickey Mouse rules and regulations and no one willing to listen, there is always Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia or Vietnam. As the national anthem says Thailand for Thais, and that is just they way the want it, Thailand exclusively for Thais! Not that there is anything really wrong in that, but you shouldn't expect people to part with hard earnt money in such a jingoistically nationlist environment.

You forgot Laos. That's the missing gem. Just a gorgeous place and quiet as can be if you like that kind of thing. Although, development in that country is decades behind Thailand. But get in early and enjoy the ride. It can only go up.

I finally saw this article in the paper and noticed it was all about setting up commissions to study what would be good. The draft of that law has been made a year ago. Now it's back to the drawing board, and some people here are hugely optimistic, for some reason.

An article in my local paper in Scotland printed this:-

Thailand's king is the richest royal in the world - leaving Queen Elizabeth trailing in 12th place. King Bhumibol Adulyade, 80 the world's longest-reigning monarch, has £18.79 billion assets. Our Queen has £349 million and The United Arab Emirates Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed was second with (£12.35 billion). The Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz third(£11.27bn).

How can there be so much poverty in Thailand when a king has so much?

Thailand's king is the richest royal in the world - leaving Queen Elizabeth trailing in 12th place. King Bhumibol Adulyade, 80 the world's longest-reigning monarch, has £18.79 billion assets. Our Queen has £349 million and The United Arab Emirates Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed was second with (£12.35 billion). The Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz third(£11.27bn).

Its a sufficiency thing and if you understand it, you have been in Thailand too long.

Crown Property Bureau has been accumulating these assets for centuries, long before the current monarch was born, what do you want it to do?

Much of this property is used for people's benefit - low rents, investments in various projects and so on.

Crown Property Bureau has been accumulating these assets for centuries, long before the current monarch was born, what do you want it to do?

Much of this property is used for people's benefit - low rents, investments in various projects and so on.

Any idea what the value of Crown property Bureau is ??? Deducting that would give us the correct value. Also remember that the King and Queen both use their money to fund many projects in thailand that help the poor. How many other monarchs do the same ?

how is it that so many ignorant people -who ask @#^%# questions- exist on this planet? :o

And why would a king that has so much give so much back to his people? You know, it might do you well to do some research on "news reports" such as this before commenting on them. The King and Queen have sponsored many programs throughout the Kingdom that have aided those who are willing to come out of poverty. The reason the Royal Couple is so highly regarded by the people is because of their attitude of giving.

I correspond occasionally with a man who knows quite a bit about the modern history of Thailand. King Bhumibol started out with almost nothing himself in real terms. As the individual I correspond with likes to put it (as per my memory): "You can't exactly sell the crown jewels." In the beginning, HRM the King had to battle the government to put any money back into helping the ones who could not help themselves, and often had to dig into his own pocket to sponsor and get programs off the ground. He and the Queen lived quite modestly for more than just a few years. Constrast that with other countries who, with their "president for life" or other dictators, ravage the country, destroy the economy and spill innocent blood on the ground!

Personally, I have quite a bit of admiration for the King and Queen, and I'm a farang! One of the royal couple's projects teaches opium farmers how to live off of organic farming instead. It takes courage and selflessness to take on such a project (even Kings might not be able to stand up to powerful drug dealers, after all). The monarchy has been about the only stable thing in Thailand involving politics in the past few decades. May both Their Majesties live for a long time yet. Thailand needs that stability.

economy goes better or new government = bye bye invester visa

people with a bit of brain & common sense can see this is just a temp solution for the thai economy and when it gets better, they also get rid of the investers

why they don't make doing business for foreign the same as for locals

as most western countries do not make a difference in nationality if thais want to start up a business in a foreign country

in my home country, any person can start a business with as little as about 10k euro funds

no need for 4 local people to hire, needed or not ...

why don't they start with that ?

There is a large difference between developed and developing countries.

European countries are allowing anyone to invest or start a business because it will benefit their economies. There is no risk that these investment will hurt the local industry, as their economies are already advanced.

But Europe (and America) is protecting themselves everywhere it will hurt them, and are not less nationalistic than Thailand. For instance, developing countries can sell oranges to Europe without any problems. But can they sell processed oranges like jam and juice? No, import quotas are set to make it impossible to export it and still make a profit. Hence the European food processing companies are protected.

It should also be remembered that the current international trade system is heavily tilted in favor of developed countries. It is estimated that for every dollar given in foreign aid, the developing world is loosing 3 dollars due to European and American subsidies in agriculture.

Following advice from organizations such as IMF has already done so much damage to a lot of countries.Thailand is still a relatively poor country and should look after their self-interest and their own people.

A relatively poor country with the richest monarch in the world. It's ockay, I know you won't post this.

nice

Uh oh! to people speaking about "he who is not to be spoken" you have to be careful or the spineless thai visa thought police will come down on you.

The reality is that's the way it is in Thailand. The rich and influential get richer the poor get poorer. Actually, not just Thailand but "developing world" in general. This is nothing compared to the Phillipines though where poverty is so grinding you have people eating out of the trash while the rich are living in mansions an flying to France for weekend excursions.

Let's face it, it will never change here. The middle class has been increasing but I really doubt it'll reach the point where people advance past the feudalistic mindset. Nor do most seem to want to which is their perogative and I don't look down on it.

Edited by wintermute

Why invest in a place like Thailand anyway? Mickey Mouse rules and regulations and no one willing to listen, there is always Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia or Vietnam. As the national anthem says Thailand for Thais, and that is just they way the want it, Thailand exclusively for Thais! Not that there is anything really wrong in that, but you shouldn't expect people to part with hard earnt money in such a jingoistically nationlist environment.

You forgot Laos. That's the missing gem. Just a gorgeous place and quiet as can be if you like that kind of thing. Although, development in that country is decades behind Thailand. But get in early and enjoy the ride. It can only go up.

I've been to Laos several times; always relaxing and quiet.

But in Vientiane, I could still hear a cacophony of useless noise -- coming all the way across the river from Thailand !!!

Frankly, Laos seems more appealing place to live than Thailand, certainly a lot of entrepreneurial opportunity... but I don't know much about their laws, and the communism thing scares me a bit.

I've been to Laos several times; always relaxing and quiet.

But in Vientiane, I could still hear a cacophony of useless noise -- coming all the way across the river from Thailand !!!

Frankly, Laos seems more appealing place to live than Thailand, certainly a lot of entrepreneurial opportunity... but I don't know much about their laws, and the communism thing scares me a bit.

Technically, it's the "democratic republic of Laos" now. Although, I'm sure its all the old communist generals running things but I really don't know the details. I heard its much easier to get a visa for a foreignor that wants to live there year round without much problem at all. In fact, it might be real easy to get a residency or Laos passport and use that to go into Thailand when you need to :o

I think that Laos is a fantastic place and if there are old communists running things I don't think they are making problems for the farang as Thailand has been doing for years.

Personally, I have quite a bit of admiration for the King and Queen, and I'm a farang! One of the royal couple's projects teaches opium farmers how to live off of organic farming instead. It takes courage and selflessness to take on such a project (even Kings might not be able to stand up to powerful drug dealers, after all). The monarchy has been about the only stable thing in Thailand involving politics in the past few decades. May both Their Majesties live for a long time yet. Thailand needs that stability.

Hear-hear! :o

even though nothing tangible, it is a subtle positive message.

But the reality is that its just a message about a plan of questionable effect. Who in their right mind would make a business investment in Thailand under the current political situation under a leadership that runs the country on the basis of fortune tellers who deal from a stacked pack of cards

Heard reports that while they still have the opportunity the PPP are going to allow unlimited foreign investment in Thai companies. It is also suggested that they will allow land investment also. Apparently both changes are subject to the foreign investors paying into offshore accounts in the BVI or purchasing London property as nominees. :o

Edited by esprit