Vigo Prerunner 3.0 Extra-cab Automatic - Does It Exist?

Thanh-BKK

Fair enough...amend my previous comment to read "that you have chosen to follow the way that nature programmed you".

You do realize that my comment re: "motorcycle advice" was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek, yes?

Hi :D

Yeah, i did indeed. I just wanted to tell you that... because usually gays have that kind of image like.... can cook and do makeup but helpless with machines... well, i'm a queen but a power queen, my heart is a two stroke engine and i've got oil in my veins, maybe i WAS born with a wrench in my hand :D

However, back to the "pickup" topic, if it's all about the longer gearbox then i don't understand why they (yup,Toyota themselves!) offer to "jack it up"..... of course, voiding the guarantee in the process, but nevertheless it is possible! And, what is the difference (regarding the gearbox!) between a two-door and a four-door - as the four-door IS available in raised form, from Toyota as well as Isuzu. As the engine in both versions sits at the same place, as does the gearbox, as does the axle - so why the heck "auto, raised suspension" only in four-door, if not for simple marketing purpose? "Four-door = sedan-like, can have automatic". BS.

Anyway, decision is made - Isuzu D-Max it is, SLX, Space Cab. They DO have turbos, just not that new VGS turbo (which, again, comes in connection with auto only in a four-door). 25 horses less, screw it - still got more than enough :D Maybe we'll put the 16" wheels on it from the "Highlander" series, but not sure - the stock ones also look ok, and outright nice if compared to the standard Vigo :D

Best regards......

Thanh

Kewl...any chick who can wrench is fine in my book :o

It probably does just come down to the marketing, seeing as how you are dealing with the same wheelbase...my family is in the auto business in USA (Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Ford); I saw plenty of strangeness in the marketing/packaging when I worked there. In USA everything is based on "packages", buy this set of equipment, get something free (usually air con or automatic trans). To where you almost cannot find a plain-jane "work truck", if you were looking for such a thing...they end up costing almost the same as a very nicely equipped one. The dealers do not want to stock the plain-janes..harder to sell initially and they do not want them back on trade.

It is getting difficult to buy anything with a manual transmission in USA anymore. Something like an SUV, forget it, in many cases it is not even offered. Even when a manual is an option, many dealers do not want to order a vehicle so equipped...my stepfather is one of them. He does not like manual transmissions, so he does not like to sell them. Even the low-end, "first cars" for teenagers are more often than not ordered with automatics...the spoiled brats don't want them.

I think you will be happy with the D-Max. If you want to do some 16" aftermarket wheels that would dress it up nicely.

And we are completely in agreement, the "standard" Vigo looks really, really, really stupid with those large wheelwells and the 15" wheels, coupled with the cheap-ass small tires.

i don't understand why they (yup,Toyota themselves!) offer to "jack it up"..... of course, voiding the guarantee in the process, but nevertheless it is possible! And, what is the difference (regarding the gearbox!) between a two-door and a four-door - as the four-door IS available in raised form, from Toyota as well as Isuzu. As the engine in both versions sits at the same place, as does the gearbox, as does the axle - so why the heck "auto, raised suspension" only in four-door, if not for simple marketing purpose?

If there's a potential problem with auto transmission after raising the truck, no surprise they void the warrantee.

I don't understand this 2 door/ 4 door business. There's no auto box for raised 3l 2wd engine, period. Doesn't matter how many doors. Or are you "bitching" about something else here?

>>>

So you settled for the oldest truck with the oldest engine. Good luck to you. For that kind of power you should have looked at 2.5l offerings from other makers build on all-new platforms and with modern engines.

My friend...

you may want to read the entire thread before you start making things up and then complain about what you just made up.

There ARE raised body, 2WD, 3 litre, automatic options - both from Toyota AND Isuzu, and BOTH only in the 4-door body version! Vigo "PreRunner" respectively D-Max "Highlander", the latter even with the VGS-Turbo engine.

THAT is what i am ranting about - them BEING available in raised/2WD/3L/auto, but in 4-door only! Because a 4-door cost more than 4x the tax of the 2-door and at the same has a much smaller load bed, so small in fact that i can't get my motorbike on it.

Oldest engine? Who cares? I don't. I would prefer if the car came without ANY of the modern computer-controlled gizmos - designed to break down and waste money. I have learned to drive a car myself, without a computer making the decisions. You know what, HONESTLY, would be MY pickup if i were the one to chose?

Mitsubishi Cyclone/Aerobody. NO Electronics, a REAL car. Fixable with wrenches, not laptops. If it breaks down in first place, that is, which it won't for lack of breakable things.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I read the thread, thank you, there's no Pre Runner with auto box, not matter what YOU say or rant. They are all manual. I don't know about Highlanders.

Your "old" engine has all the same electronics as the new VGS, but shittier. I believe VGS has better management of common rail system, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey please...don't close this thread...it gets more interesting by the day. Been there, done that, and am currently going back to 'there': had a Toyota Tiger 2door 4x4, eventually bought a DMax Highlander 2 door, and am now am thinking seriously of returning to Toyota with the purchase of the new Prerunner Smart door 'cause it just feels right. Keep up the goode work flagman. :o

• 8 months later...
You could get a D-Max Highlander 2WD auto (I've got one) or go the Vigo 4*4 route or perhaps another make has a raised truck with auto ?
Or buy a 3 inch lift kit for the vigo, 2500 baht installed,.

Does anyone have any more info about this lift for the 2WD? What type of lift would this actually be? As far as the front end is concerned, what is the difference between the reg 2wd and the pre-runner anyways? Is it basically just different spindles? Also is this 2500b lift good as far as handling or is it a crappy lift like balljoint spacers or something? And who offers this 2500b lift kit installed. I don't imagine Toyota would for that price. What type of lift does Toyota offer and how much does it cost? Thanks for any info.

Hi :)

Wow one of my old-old topics came back :D Sorry, while i can't answer that last question about the lift type i can for sure say that since last November (hence two months after writing my last word in this topic) i am proud owner of an Isuzu D-Max, Platinum series, SLX Space-Cab 3.0 Automatic :D Very good truck, got a ton of freebies from the dealer, it has lots of power, is fast and very economic to drive despite being automatic.

Not raised, stock 15" wheels, but very good looking truck. 7,500 trouble-free kilometers so far (used only on weekends and for long-distance trips).

And my boyfriend loves it, too :D

Regards.....

Thanh

Now that Toyota make a "smart cab" like Ford and Mazda have been doing for years, off I go yesterday with money in hand hot to buy. Well............

No 3.0 diesel auto as reported by Tanah - petrol only and the logic given is that it is a work truck

The 2WD jacked up Prerunner does not have any air bags at all!! - this is a deemed necessary option for us

No other jacked up 2WD model so you must buy 4WD at 90K more to get the higher suspension.

4WD has 15/255 x 7 inch rims and 2WD has 16/215 x 6 inch rims.

I do not need 4WD and balking about the 90K more just for the ride height.

Tell me more about the lift kit and where to get it in CM

My wife and I bought a 2 year old Vigo "prerunner" , 3.0 lt turbo diesel , 4 door. 570,000 baht. (50,000 km,s)

I really dont like slush boxes and I feel far more at home with a manual box.

Its a great motor, I was surprised how much punch it had and dont get intimidated by tail gaters anymore,,

Auto boxes kind of take the fun away from your drive, I think,, as if your not fully in control.

Any way,, hope you enjoy your new motor.

Cheers