Aniseed

xwteee

Chinese anis is available. Ask for "Poy kak". It's not exactly anis but still has the licorice flavor. It looks like a star with eight points.

Great on pork!

meandwi

You might also want to try Fennel seed....sprinkle on a pork chop...nice and crunchy with its aniseed like flavour.

Chinese anis is available. Ask for "Poy kak". It's not exactly anis but still has the licorice flavor. It looks like a star with eight points.

Great on pork!

meandwi

You might also want to try Fennel seed....sprinkle on a pork chop...nice and crunchy with its aniseed like flavour.

Actually I was thinking of aniseed milk ! :o

Great on pork!

meandwi

Actually I was thinking of aniseed milk ! :o

In milk? ,,,Oh thats easy! Add a splash af sambuka :D

Chinese star anise in nowhere similar to aniseed and is not a substitute.

You can buy aniseed by the kilo from Nguan Soon.

If you go to their shop in Bangkok you can get smaller qtys.

www.nguansoon.com

I couldnt find it on their website, but they do sell it.

I have bought plenty from them to make my own pepperoni.

Better to call them, perhaps, but have a Thai friend look it up in a dictionary/translator to get the correct Thai name, or you may end up with fennel seed or Chinese star anise.

Good luck.

www.nguansoon.com

Better to call them, perhaps, but have a Thai friend look it up in a dictionary/translator to get the correct Thai name, or you may end up with fennel seed or Chinese star anise.

Good luck.

chinese star anise is the same as regular anise, exept it has a much stronger taste, it's even used in pastis, the french alcohol.

www.nguansoon.com

Good luck.

chinese star anise is the same as regular anise, exept it has a much stronger taste, it's even used in pastis, the french alcohol.

LOL. :o Its not even in the same family.

Star Anise (Illicium verum) an evergreen tree attaining a height of 8-15 meters and a diameter of 25 cm.

Aniseed (Pimpinella anisum) a dainty, white-flowered urnbelliferous annual, about 18 inches high.

Star Anise (Illicium verum) an evergreen tree attaining a height of 8-15 meters and a diameter of 25 cm.

Aniseed (Pimpinella anisum) a dainty, white-flowered urnbelliferous annual, about 18 inches high.

Isn't nature well made, different species, different location but same taste exept one is stronger than the other.

when i was talking about the french using it to make pastis, i wanted to show the regular anise we know in europe is replaced by its chinese cousin because of its strong taste.

Isn't nature well made, different species, different location but same taste exept one is stronger than the other.

when i was talking about the french using it to make pastis, i wanted to show the regular anise we know in europe is replaced by its chinese cousin because of its strong taste.

Perhaps to those with blurry palates.

To me, there is a striking difference.

Edited by ChefHeat