PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

At the end of the day, we're all humans...

dll103.jpg

pic20.jpg

how nicely said and documented. can't be beaten. thank you so much. just one 'minor' difference: some are unarmed, peaceful civilians who pursue their duties for civil disobedience. the others are armed to their teeth to defend a sinking (sunken?) corrupt regime.....(guess who is who). at the end of the day, we're not much equal........

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers, Egat workers to join protests

The association of northeastern Prachaban teachers said yesterday that it would close schools in 19 northeastern provinces and its members would participate in the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) rally if the PM Samak Sundaravej government uses violence to subdue the PAD protesters.

Meanwhile, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) labour union is to take a leave to join the protest.

The association chairman Chainarong Montripo said its meetฌing yesterday did not agree with the government's usage od violence to tackle the protest. If the government uses violence, they would protest by closing schools in 19 provinces and gathering teachฌers to join the PAD protest to pressure the government.

Sanong Tahom, chairman of Confederation of Teacher's Associations of Thailand, said it has already informed all the teacher's associations in the country's four regions and they agree with the confederation to take action if the government uses violence measures.

Somchok Chanthong, communications coordinator for Lampang's Mae Moh power plant and a PAD leader in the North said as the EGAT labour union found there were a lot of protesters injured on Friday and the State Enterprises Workers' Relations Confederation (SERC) had told its members to take a leave and protest to force Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to resign, EGAT labour union—as one of SERC members had announced to let state enterprises workers take a leave to join the demonstration since Saturday.

Somchok said state enterprises workers have rights to take a leave continuously for two days without medical certificate.

He expected that 1,000 more Egat labour union's workers will attend the protest after 10,000 have earlier participated in the protest.

- The Nation

Am I right in thinking that in saying they (The pro-government group) will march to parliament, they mean government house where the PAD are?

And am I also right in recalling them saying that they will take a route that avoids PAD protesters so as to avoid conflict?

If i am right on both counts then surely they are saying that they will take a route that avoids the PAD whilst marching towards the PAD? :o:D

Could somebody please clarify this.

They are marching to Parliament, which is in the same district but in a completely different location, and they will take a route which will avoid confrontation with PAD.

Don't ask me how, I don't know the area. But it does occur to me that neither side will want to get into a confrontation, and sure as hel_l the police will not want to wade into the middle of any such confrontation, so they will be sending along troops to try and prevent any conflict.

Now that the DAAD has announced its intentions, and if it does not stray from its plan and any confrontation takes place, the blame will lie squarely on the shoulders of PAD and/or its supporters - which obviously will diminish their support further.

BTW, Tony (bit off topic) - how's the little one doing? I mean that sincerely - still remember the thread where you described the months leading up to the joyful arrival :o

Edited by onethailand

TAH...maybe you do know her as I do (quite well), you have posted a lot on this particular thread...but why are you wasting your time and energy (not to mention your brain capacity) posting about stuff that will make absolutley NO DIFFERENCE to how this thing pan out. I'm done now...anyone else wanna flame me for saying how it REALLY IS..then feel free

I d say the same about your last 2 posts, makes absolutely no difference on the numbers of future posts on here.

I do not know from what cave you Tony Clifton are barking and weather you are in Thailand at all but you are an absolute idiot.

Notice that the last PAD action regarding airports mostly hurts foreigners. I am not surprised: PAD is among other things a xenophobic organization and IMHO they may start hurt foreigners if their leadres decide that it is in their interests.

I am glad to hear the news that PPP finally start to mobilize their supporters to move to BKK. This is the only reasonable way out. PAD claims that they started a "revolution". Hey, it is time for people to do just that. I sincerely hope that it is going to happen.

Samak should go: it is not about him , it is about the Thailand.

Hope there are PPP leadres who understand that. The time is running out. For the sake of Thailand they need to act now.

for the sake of thailand (?) you use strong words: cave, barking, idiot. and you wanna see protesters hound each others. what a fine example you are. i understand thais, who are 'mumbu'phobic. i myself am against corruption, i am samakphobic. my strong support goes to the only people who do something against him and against corruption. i've decided to give all savings achieved thru samaks vote-buying attempts, eg free water & electricity directly to pad. i beg you to do the same. for the sake of thailand (!) you need to act now.

Phuket, Krabi airports still shut

Phuket and Krabi airports remained closed yesterday as People's Alliance for Democracy supporters occupying them insisted they would continue their protest until the prime minister resigned or PAD leaders said otherwise. The situation returned to normal at Hat Yai Airport.

More train services were also suspended yesterday as part of the workers' strikes to support the PAD, while the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) was reported to have lost 51 million baht in income in the past three days.

In Krabi, the provincial airport remained closed for the second day, with six inbound flights, two of them international, cancelled. Tourists who have booked outbound flights have been told they can get refunds.

Meanwhile, PAD supporters, vowing to keep blocking Phuket Airport entrance until Samak Sundaravej resigns, continued their mission for a second day.

Some 400 police and volunteers were there to ensure security and safety. Deputy Phuket Governor Worapoj Ratthasima affirmed that no violence would be used to drive protesters out.

The airport occupation has alienated some PAD members in Phuket who were upset that the province's tourism was being affected. Some have disowned the movement and called for an end to the closure.

In Songkhla, Hat Yai Airport was reopened. Banjong Nasae, a leading member of local PAD supporters, warned the government not to disperse the Bangkok rally with violence or they would seize Hat Yai Airport again and this time might camp there for at least five days.

A protest has also taken place at Surat Thani Airport, forcing THAI to suspend flights to the province.

Meanwhile, 255 railway workers continued their strike yesterday, affecting 12 northern routes, 27 northeastern routes, 39 southern routes and 45 freight services.

- The Nation

The airport occupation has alienated some PAD members in Phuket who were upset that the province's tourism was being affected. Some have disowned the movement and called for an end to the closure.

LOL, why am I not surprised? Hits a bit too close to home...

and now..... here we go..... news straight from Thaksin's hometown .....the word from London is in...

PM 'may dissolve House today'

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej may dissolve Parliament today as his own resignation alone would not solve the crisis, Chiang Mai People Power Party MP Surapong Towijakchaikul said yesterday.

He said his reading of Samak's behaviour in the past few days suggested the PM would ask the electorate to decide whether it wanted the PPP, the Democrat Party, or the People's Alliance for Democracy to run the country.

MPs would not like a dissolution, he said, but Samak's resignation would just see the PAD asserting its power to approve the formation of a new government. Surapong, a prominent Northern PPP member, previously gathered signatures of PPP MPs calling on Samak to clarify why he had let the police issue an arrest warrant for former Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

Meanwhile, Samut Prakarn MP Pracha Prasopdee said the anti-PAD Democratic Alliance for Democracy had called on its supporters to rally at Sanam Luang.

However, House Speaker Chai Chidchob said Samak had told him earlier, insisting not to resign nor dissolve the Parliament. Chai has scheduled 1.30pm today for a parliamentary meeting for MPs and Senators to discuss solving the political crisis, House of Representatives Secretary-General Pitoon Poomhirun said yesterday.

Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej told Senators during a seminar in Hua Hin that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej had informed Chai that he wanted to invoke Article 179 of the Constitution to hold a general debate on the problems stemming from the protests by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

Samak argued in his letter dated Friday that the group's seizure of government offices had caused unrest and the situation seemed to be escalating.

As a result, the PM wants Parliament to hold an urgent meeting to discuss the situation and find a peaceful solution.

- The Nation

Everybody faces making sacrifices at times... and more so now....

It's 21.35 now and I just got some important news, (but as yet unconfirmed). A colleague tried to drive their car off Phuket Island and over the Sarasin Bridge which connects Phuket with the mainland (PhangNga province). however, they were turned back by PAD protesters who have shut the bridge!

I can only confirm this by driving up to the bridge - so I might do this and report back.

Simon

no airport, no bridge....Phuket faces isolation.... perhaps dissolving Parliament is warranted

I'm surprised the Phuket taxi/tuk-tuk/limo mafia haven't been kicking the sh1t out of fighting with the PAD mafia mob. The former can never make up the lost rip-offs money that they extort make from the tourists.

Taking into account the time.

Does today mean today as in Sunday. Or is it old news from Saturday or whenever that didn't happen?

I'm not dis-respecting your update SJ, just curious that's all.

It means today, Sunday... the story is about 2 hours old...Parliament is being called in today.

Simon's post was made severak hours earlier than the article being put out...

AFAIK, he's never reported back after leaving to check on the bridge.

Edited by sriracha john

Samak seems intent on dragging this out huh?

He is not allowed to use force so the demonstrations will go on until they get tired and go home.

That's not a bad idea. Offer them 3 meals a day and sleeping facilities too....wouldn't that be a laugh.

Edited by tropo

He is not allowed to use force so the demonstrations will go on until they get tired and go home.

That's not a bad idea. Offer them 3 meals a day and sleeping facilities too....wouldn't that be a laugh.

Yes, if they want to keep Phuket airport closed for a month let them do that too. And if General P starts fire bombing stuff wait that out also. And if those school shut down and Thai Air stops flying, so be it.

I bet PAD is getting tired and is ready to quit at any minute. Sondhi is probably eager to start serving his life sentence.

Edited by lifeisrandom

seriously though i am surprised how many of you are buying into the theory of "Samak's plan to do absolutely nothing is working perfectly"

Samak has already stated that he would like to call a state of emergency but is powerless to do so because General A told him no. Yep, he's in complete control of the situation. Just have to wait for PAD to give up and go home...

In fact, I seem unable to post a new reply on the other thread - think there's a technical problem....

But happy to say that the bridge was quiet. No sign of any protesters.

Simon

Yes the last pages of posts of the 2 airport closure threads are not displaying

I have reported it in the forum help thread

Here's my guess for the outcome of the special session of Parliament today.

As I see it there are 3 options, barring a military coup.

1. Samak resigns.

2. Samak calls a state of emergency

3. Samak dissolves Parliament and calls for fresh elections.

Option 1 is very unlikely.

Option 2 is also very unlikely now because the army don't want this mess dropped in their laps.

Option 3 seems the most likely. Especially since Samak came back from his audience with the King vowing not to resign.

Yes, if they want to keep Phuket airport closed for a month let them do that too. And if General P starts fire bombing stuff wait that out also. And if those school shut down and Thai Air stops flying, so be it.

I bet PAD is getting tired and is ready to quit at any minute. Sondhi is probably eager to start serving his life sentence.

Sorry I didn't make it clear for you. I was referring to the Government grounds.

1. Samak resigns.

Option 2 is also very unlikely now because the army don't want this mess dropped in their laps.

Option 3 seems the most likely. Especially since Samak came back from his audience with the King vowing not to resign.

Just curious. Why is there no option for status quo? Another day? Another week? Would that not be his best option? He is completely off the hook for any disruption because he is not allowed to use force to stop it.

1. Samak resigns.

Who knows what will come of the meeting today.

It won't br Samak doing anything on his own,

It should come as joint resolution from both houses of parliment.

Samak has the backing of his coalition parters after the meeting last night.

If I was to speculate I would say option 2 with conditions imposed.

Option two might be able to stop the illegal strikes and get transportaion back to normal.

As far as getting PAD out of goverment house I think it will be to to just let them stay for a while.

Edited by ubonjoe

For those that think the PAD will go home because they are tired I suggest you follow this link to Australia's international news channel SBS. It shows Protesters being fed and even handed out vitamins. There is even a medical unit set up in cse of injury. If indeed they are also being paid a daily fee then why would they go home? They look pretty comfortable to me.They are also subject to constant speeches and ra ra and you know if your told something often enough there is a brain wash effect. this link isn't direct so click on watch videoes (top right page),news,aussies stuck in Thailand

http://video.sbs.com.au/player/news/index.php?chid=12

1. Samak resigns.

Just curious. Why is there no option for status quo? Another day? Another week? Would that not be his best option? He is completely off the hook for any disruption because he is not allowed to use force to stop it.

Agreed. We should add option 4, -- status quo.

Government House becomes refugee camp

By The Sunday Nation

Published on August 31, 2008

Five days after having been occupied by thousands of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters, the stately Government House compound has not only lost its dignity but is looking like a disorderly refugee camp.

The fleeing parties, however, were not the current occupants of Government House but the staff at the Prime Minister's Office.

Bangkok garbage collectors, who spend much of their workฌing hours around foul odours, complain of the smell from the tonnes of rubbish they collect twice a day from the comฌpound.

The packed compound has not only generated foul smells and garbage, it has become a logistics and hygiene nightmare for protesters inside. Food shortage is not an issue, as generous donors make sure that these PAD troops do not march on empty stomachs.

Mounds of garbage are piling up, bras hang drying from bushes and toilets overflow. Some of the residents have to turn to garbage bags to relieve themselves.

But the protesters, with numbers reaching about 17,000, seem unperฌturbed by the mess around this grand Venetianstyle building. Morale is as high as ever in spite of the uncertain future.

Built in 1908 by Italian architects, the twostorey Gothic Thai Khufah resembles the Doge's Palace in Venice.

But the Venetian charm is gone. In its place is the noisy rally of angry PAD protesters who are as determined as ever to rid the country of the current administration.