PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

If I were Samak I'd order in the military to restore order and arrest these hooligans. It's really getting out of control with schools and unies shut. For what?

The problem with that, apart from the fact that we really shouldnt be advocating approaches that would inflame the sitution or lead to more violence, is that if Samak orders the army out he wont be sure whether they are backing him or moving against him. The military certainly has no love for Thaksin or most of the PPP and are not really too bothered who won an election.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were Samak I'd order in the military to restore order and arrest these hooligans. It's really getting out of control with schools and unies shut. For what?

I think he has done that already a few times, just the military does not care much what Samak orders them.

From The Nation:

PAD is trying to seize power and depose gov't: Natthawut

Government deputy spokesman Natthawut Saikua claimed on Wednesday that the People's Alliance for Democracy was coordinating with an underground movement to incite a coup to oust the government.

Natthawut said authorities might have to round up selected protest leaders and certain generals who are working behind-the-scene with the PAD.

He said a general met with PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul on Tuesday's night to finalise a plan to use the PAD as a catalyst for coup.

He said the PAD has planned to disrupt the government from functioning in selected areas in the capital and upcountry. If left unchecked, the PAD might try to raid key airports and provincial halls along with trying to control strategic locations in the capital.

The Nation

end quote

Actually a joke....the government never functioned, you can hardly call Samak a government

I guess the question is now: Where is the government and where is Samak? Is he using the media to calm the situation or waiting for this to blow over? Very Thai. It appears to me as a "foreigner" that right now I am residing in a rudderless ship.

These people are a pain in the arse. Protests never solve anything.

Learn history......From France, Russia to Cuba and and and all was done by protests....

No - you learn history mate. All of the above were absolute monarchies or dictatorships. Thailand has a democratically elected Government. BIG difference

Which one? where?

All the government parties are on the way to be disbanded for fraud and vote buying. So it is a dictatorship and not an elected government.

Just look ASTV.1 or ASTV.2 then you see what a bunch of fools this PAD are. But dangerous fools or what are this thugs with black masks doing peaceful protest?

I hope they will be jailed and their leaders for live. :o

with respect, likening the PAD to the third reich is so spectacularly misinformed as to be downright offensive.

Well said that man!

Anybody who chooses to refer to the deeply corrupt Taxin government, or his current puppet regime as democratically elected is also severely misinformed.

Taxin bought his way into power by wholesale vote purchase from the rural Thais. 1M Baht per village buys a lot of votes. He retained power the second time by7 simply threatening to demand repayment of the loans etc. every villager took out from his 1M Baht scheme. Democracy? My @ss!

What has that to do with armed PAD thugs storming a TV station and ordering personal off their desks?

And if you watch TV news - you can clearly see the arms they carried during that raid.

If you read their "new politics", their position regarding the temple issue, and listen to their nationalistic rants - then comparison to Fascist and Nazi ideology is not too far off.

Just because they are against a corrupt government doesn't make their own philosophy any less fascist.

Maybe we should consider that those protesters may be neither fascists nor communists or any other such "bad evil folk" who do not share your viewpoint. Maybe PAD are just people of the centre and NOT the extremes you quote, who are fed up with what they feel is a corrupt fascist style Government who got in by buying votes and corrupting the course of democracy. Maybe they realise that if they do not have the courage to protest and show some level of threat of force then they would not be taken seriously and that nothing will then ever change or happen. In all democracies protest has been shown to be the only way when democracy (i.e. will of the majority of citizens) is being seen to be raped. We have seen it in the UK and in USA too (Vietnam where the majority were clearly against it, Thatcher's hit the poor Poll Tax too) and lo and behold it worked and things changed for the better !!! It is too easy to glibly blame the protesters as maybe the current Government, clinging to office yet knowing that they are really in power without the true will of the people, are the very people maybe more responsible for the current troubles. So should the current PPP Government not stand down and ensure that we now get fair elections with NO vote buying ?? New elections monitored by an invited in UN (or internationally accepted) based unbiased observation team too, sure it wont happen but I know in my heart that it really should if we want to see true democracy here for the Thai people. Anyone caught vote buying or rigging is then banned from Thai politics for LIFE.

I can look back at my country the UK and a hundred years ago or so we were ruled by the extreme right wing elitist ruling class, very much a them and us society who kept the poor in poverty for their own ends, much as we appear to see here today. The people in the UK got together and not without protests formed the Labour Party, and this at least, even when they were only the opposition in Parliament, repressed the elite ruling class from having their own way so much. Then there was a true valid alternative to the ruling class and no more (or at least a lot less) immoral suppression of the ordinary working folk who after all were and still are the majority, we now have a so much fairer and morally just society than those bad old days. Maybe that is what is happening here and if so in the long term it may be just what is needed.

I am purely a bystander being a guest here in LOS and just an observer taking neither side and just raising more points as food for thought, BUT in my heart I feel it would be nice to get rid of all unelected and cheat vote rigging elected extremist corrupt Governments in any countries in the world. I want to see justice for the poeple, and crap low life like Toxin (and even the far worse corrupt criminals), who care only about themselves and not their country, brought back to face true and moral justice (internationally monitored if necessary) and not harboured in so called "morally high ground" countries.

I just hope there is no bloodshed over this and that the outcome whatever it is will be good for Thailand, the country that I love and chose to live in for my retirement. I feel sorry for the normal decent Thai folk who are having to go through this turmoil. They are stuck with it, we as guests if push comes to shove have our own countries we can return to if we do not like what we see, so lets all think about the ordinary Thai folk and not just ourselves here hmmm.

I guess the question is now: Where is the government and where is Samak? Is he using the media to calm the situation or waiting for this to blow over? Very Thai. It appears to me as a "foreigner" that right now I am residing in a rudderless ship.

they are probably looking over their shoulders and trying to check all the ducks are still in line and nobody has betryed them. They have a cabinet meeting at the same location as the military have a meeting. Mmmm coincidence no doubt.

Samak will probably stay quiet for as long as he can which considering his propensity to make loud statements might only be until he is sure he is still supported and has got the cabinet meeting out of the way and probably a phone call from Thaksin.

Plus of course this whole little event today could have beena show to ensure the cabinet agreed to soemthing that the other side wanted.

Thailand has been rudderless for a long time now.

And if they didnt come charging to his beck and call ???

Its possible to read the 'the army will not get involved' to mean they will not come to his assistance.

Edited by LivinLOS

If this action by PAD causes the price of beer to rise in the capital there is going to be hel_l to pay!

I know that some here on Thai Visa want to compare this situation (perhaps a revolution) to famous communist coups around the world since the 1950's. I prefer to compare PAD to that once infamous German Army corporal, Adolf Hitler.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) is using scare tactics to mold the opinion of the uninformed populace to their own ends. While complaining and pointing fingers at the elected government about anything and everything they refuse to negotiate on any subject and simply call for an end to present government rule. Sound familiar? Same thing happened two years ago which led to a coup d'état and the ousting of a seated, elected government.

This is nothing new. Many of us remember from our history lessons that back in the 1930's Europe they had their own PAD saying exactly the same thing about the seated government. The Nazi Party used the economic hardships suffered by the Germans to grab power. Adolph Hitler and his ilk fooled the German people into joining their extreme and radical movement to overthrow the government.

Like the Nazi's in Germany PAD has no business in a civilized Thai society. They are trampling on the peoples consciences and revising history to suit their own ends. These extreme, unconscionable leaders are master manipulators, preying on the weak, drunk with power and serve no constructive purpose. It is time to put an end to the madness and remove PAD and their self-serving leaders. They have had their fifteen minutes in the spotlight and have fooled innocent Thai people long enough.

IMHO

It is very disappointing. After 14 years of no-perfect democracy, but still democracy (1992-2006), all forces seem to want to destroy it and prevent democracy to take roots.

In fact, it doesn't matter if me or you or other Thais don't like Samak, but the fact he won the elections and if PAD wants to oust him by the force, they are not worth of being called Democratic party.

Democracy doesn't work this way. Protests , strikes, ok, it is a right in the Constitution, but ousting a government in this way is unaccepatble.

Don't they realize the damage they are doing to Thailand ? I guess many investors will loose their faith in this country.

Economy will start to suffer from all these political turmoils for sure.

Some posts here are really amazing !

Why those advocates of violence do not take their own golf-clubs (preferably titanium ones) and go out to show to the Police what they have to do ?

It is the job of the police to enforce the law and do the clubbing, not us or PAD, understand?

Oh by the way my wife has been asked why she don't participate (in the protest :D ) easy way to earn some money. Stop dreaming this PAD leaders are thugs with a hidden agenda. (not so hidden they want power :o )

with respect, likening the PAD to the third reich is so spectacularly misinformed as to be downright offensive.

Well said that man!

Anybody who chooses to refer to the deeply corrupt Taxin government, or his current puppet regime as democratically elected is also severely misinformed.

Taxin bought his way into power by wholesale vote purchase from the rural Thais. 1M Baht per village buys a lot of votes. He retained power the second time by7 simply threatening to demand repayment of the loans etc. every villager took out from his 1M Baht scheme. Democracy? My @ss!

What has that to do with armed PAD thugs storming a TV station and ordering personal off their desks?

And if you watch TV news - you can clearly see the arms they carried during that raid.

If you read their "new politics", their position regarding the temple issue, and listen to their nationalistic rants - then comparison to Fascist and Nazi ideology is not too far off.

Just because they are against a corrupt government doesn't make their own philosophy any less fascist.

Maybe we should consider that those protesters may be neither fascists nor communists or any other such "bad evil folk" who do not share your viewpoint. Maybe PAD are just people of the centre and NOT the extremes you quote, who are fed up with what they feel is a corrupt fascist style Government who got in by buying votes and corrupting the course of democracy. Maybe they realise that if they do not have the courage to protest and show some level of threat of force then they would not be taken seriously and that nothing will then ever change or happen. In all democracies protest has been shown to be the only way when democracy (i.e. will of the majority of citizens) is being seen to be raped. We have seen it in the UK and in USA too (Vietnam where the majority were clearly against it, Thatcher's hit the poor Poll Tax too) and lo and behold it worked and things changed for the better !!! It is too easy to glibly blame the protesters as maybe the current Government, clinging to office yet knowing that they are really in power without the true will of the people, are the very people maybe more responsible for the current troubles. So should the current PPP Government not stand down and ensure that we now get fair elections with NO vote buying ?? New elections monitored by an invited in UN (or internationally accepted) based unbiased observation team too, sure it wont happen but I know in my heart that it really should if we want to see true democracy here for the Thai people. Anyone caught vote buying or rigging is then banned from Thai politics for LIFE.

I can look back at my country the UK and a hundred years ago or so we were ruled by the extreme right wing elitist ruling class, very much a them and us society who kept the poor in poverty for their own ends, much as we appear to see here today. The people in the UK got together and not without protests formed the Labour Party, and this at least, even when they were only the opposition in Parliament, repressed the elite ruling class from having their own way so much. Then there was a true valid alternative to the ruling class and no more (or at least a lot less) immoral suppression of the ordinary working folk who after all were and still are the majority, we now have a so much fairer and morally just society than those bad old days. Maybe that is what is happening here and if so in the long term it may be just what is needed.

I am purely a bystander being a guest here in LOS and just an observer taking neither side and just raising more points as food for thought, BUT in my heart I feel it would be nice to get rid of all unelected and cheat vote rigging elected extremist corrupt Governments in any countries in the world. I want to see justice for the poeple, and crap low life like Toxin (and even the far worse corrupt criminals), who care only about themselves and not their country, brought back to face true and moral justice (internationally monitored if necessary) and not harboured in so called "morally high ground" countries.

I just hope there is no bloodshed over this and that the outcome whatever it is will be good for Thailand, the country that I love and chose to live in for my retirement. I feel sorry for the normal decent Thai folk who are having to go through this turmoil. They are stuck with it, we as guests if push comes to shove have our own countries we can return to if we do not like what we see, so lets all think about the ordinary Thai folk and not just ourselves here hmmm.

Why those advocates of violence do not take their own golf-clubs (preferably titanium ones) and go out to show to the Police what they have to do ?

It is the job of the police to enforce the law and do the clubbing, not us or PAD, understand?

The job of the police is to police, not to start clubbing people. Understand?

Learn history......From France, Russia to Cuba and and and all was done by protests....

No - you learn history mate. All of the above were absolute monarchies or dictatorships. Thailand has a democratically elected Government. BIG difference

When it comes to organising and planning public protests then PAD could learn a lot from the French truck drivers and farmers. If they were to be that well organised and beligerant then Thailand would grind to a halt very quickly.

However, looking on the bright side, any group of people who are able to shut down a media service, constantly bombarding their viewers with unadulterated violance, broadcasting at times when young children are watching must be good. I am alluding of course to the Thai soaps - roll on the PAD take-over of channels 3 and 5 to put an end to that garbage.

yeah, I'm sure they would listen to reason.

Who has paid for this yet again? You Think Thaiksin is sitting there in the UK Twiddling his Thumbs Grow Up. Thailand was destroyed by greedy Chinese years ago. Where did they get their money look at Thai history you will see? Almost every Amphur Office, Who is in charge, Thai's no greedy Chinese. PAD yes? Well were these PAD people or paid by other people.

I see everyday what Thaksins and his cronies have done to this country.

Democracy you tell me where it has ever worked not in any country. Vote buying in every election.

Look at the banks and see their big local loans Thai people no. Thai Chinese yes go and look at the books.

Look at your history please and be warned by it. It always repeats itself.

Its on the Beeb now

BBC

Thousands of protesters have descended onto the streets of Bangkok to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej and his cabinet.

They occupied the offices of the state broadcaster NBT, and surrounded the main government offices, forcing most civil servants there to stop working.

Cheers

"It is the job of the police to enforce the law and do the clubbing, not us or PAD, understand?"

Which one ?

The one that allows corrupt politicians to be put in jail ?

Or the one that disbands political parties which do fraud elections ?

Please don't suggest some of posters joining in and using golf clubs -- from the sound of some of the posts they are stupid enough to do it so don't encourage them

When it comes to organising and planning public protests then PAD could learn a lot from the French truck drivers and farmers. If they were to be that well organised and beligerant then Thailand would grind to a halt very quickly.

However, looking on the bright side, any group of people who are able to shut down a media service, constantly bombarding their viewers with unadulterated violance, broadcasting at times when young children are watching must be good. I am alluding of course to the Thai soaps - roll on the PAD take-over of channels 3 and 5 to put an end to that garbage.

A recent books argues that the reason why we don't see more terrorist acts like 9/11 is that most terrorist are dumbs.

Our chance is this applies to PAD supporters too.

yeah, I'm sure they would listen to reason.

Coverage was live on CNN about 30 minutes ago. Nothing on BBC.

I don't think it would be wise to take advice on the subject of civil disobedience and the reactions to it from somebody who's avatar is a burning skull and who's signature advocates the use of weapons - do you?

Cheers

Please don't suggest some of posters joining in and using golf clubs -- from the sound of some of the posts they are stupid enough to do it so don't encourage them

Sorry, I was wrong to suppose a bit of humor could be understood ...

You're right, stupid people do not do humor !

"It is the job of the police to enforce the law and do the clubbing, not us or PAD, understand?"

Which one ?

The one that allows corrupt politicians to be put in jail ?

Or the one that disbands political parties which do fraud elections ?

Both, when you work for the government you stand between them and the agressor, right or wrong that is your duty and when people steam into building and lamp people carrying golf clubs and bats then you stop it, that's your job. Police and military are soldiers not politicians. I've waded in to quell protest before (and I was actualy sympathetic in principle to their cause) because it is a matter of duty to protect those people who are trying to do their job and earn a crust.

According to Bangkok Pundit, Matichon reports that Gen. Anupong (Arm C-in-C), Gen. Boonsrang (Supreme Commander), Pol. Gen. Pol. Gen. Patcharavat Wongsuwan (Police Chief), Prayuth (Army First Region Commander - First Region includes Bangkok), and Theerapol (Samak's key aide) are meeting at the Air Force HQ to discuss the PAD protests. It notes that the Air Force Chief and Navy Chief did not attend or have any representatives present.

The same article reports that Samak says the government is safe.

I don't think it would be wise to take advice on the subject of civil disobedience and the reactions to it from somebody who's avatar is a burning skull and who's signature advocates the use of weapons - do you?

Cheers

Right you are.

"Note to self": Do not react to numpties.

If this action by PAD causes the price of beer to rise in the capital there is going to be hel_l to pay!

I know that some here on Thai Visa want to compare this situation (perhaps a revolution) to famous communist coups around the world since the 1950's. I prefer to compare PAD to that once infamous German Army corporal, Adolf Hitler.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) is using scare tactics to mold the opinion of the uninformed populace to their own ends. While complaining and pointing fingers at the elected government about anything and everything they refuse to negotiate on any subject and simply call for an end to present government rule. Sound familiar? Same thing happened two years ago which led to a coup d'état and the ousting of a seated, elected government.

This is nothing new. Many of us remember from our history lessons that back in the 1930's Europe they had their own PAD saying exactly the same thing about the seated government. The Nazi Party used the economic hardships suffered by the Germans to grab power. Adolph Hitler and his ilk fooled the German people into joining their extreme and radical movement to overthrow the government.

Like the Nazi's in Germany PAD has no business in a civilized Thai society. They are trampling on the peoples consciences and revising history to suit their own ends. These extreme, unconscionable leaders are master manipulators, preying on the weak, drunk with power and serve no constructive purpose. It is time to put an end to the madness and remove PAD and their self-serving leaders. They have had their fifteen minutes in the spotlight and have fooled innocent Thai people long enough.

IMHO

It is very disappointing. After 14 years of no-perfect democracy, but still democracy (1992-2006), all forces seem to want to destroy it and prevent democracy to take roots.

In fact, it doesn't matter if me or you or other Thais don't like Samak, but the fact he won the elections and if PAD wants to oust him by the force, they are not worth of being called Democratic party.

Democracy doesn't work this way. Protests , strikes, ok, it is a right in the Constitution, but ousting a government in this way is unaccepatble.

Don't they realize the damage they are doing to Thailand ? I guess many investors will loose their faith in this country.

Economy will start to suffer from all these political turmoils for sure.

After Chamlong ousted the dictators 1992....