PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a breaking news only thread on this? Hard to wade thru pages of comments (I'm being nice :o ) to keep an eye on the actual picture...

you hit the nail on the head! there should be a 'closed' news channel/thread with no comments by no one. and then a discussion channel, where we can exchange arguments and opinions.

Is there a breaking news only thread on this? Hard to wade thru pages of comments (I'm being nice :o ) to keep an eye on the actual picture...

you hit the nail on the head! there should be a 'closed' news channel/thread with no comments by no one. and then a discussion channel, where we can exchange arguments and opinions.

This would be the discussion thread for breaking news regarding today's events. Turn on your television for pure news broadcasts. WADR

Oh and I though PAD was for freedom of information....... This article just shows and proves what their hidden agendas are for Thailand. So much for PAD standing up for freedom of the press....

oh how do you know that it is pad? who told you? who is the beneficiary? what is your 'hidden agenda'? who is against freedom of press?

Peoples Alliance for Democracy?

Do they actually know what the words of their own name means? You've got a government in power that was voted in - fair enough this constitution thing might put an end to them anyway - but wanting to force out an elected government does not demonstrate truth in what PAD is supposed to stand for.. simply "we don't like this - let's change it through forceful protest"...!!

This is Thailand. An elected government is a government elected in Thailand, which is to say, a meaningless plebesite, an election controlled and directed by the ruling elites.

Further, Thailand is currently into its what, 18th or 19th constitution since 1932?!?

Extra-constitutional action is simply another aspect of the Thai Way.

Moreover, this hasn't the appearance of the classic coup d' etat (bloodless or otherwise); in fact, the military appears confused, lost and confounded; nor do the well coordinated present ongoing events apppear to be the work of anyone abroad.

Consequently, I'm going with it at the moment and for the moment. PAD isn't exactly a part of the Thai Establishment, which is well identified in an above posting.

BREAKING NEWS:

Kowit orders police to evict protesters out of Government House by 6 pm

BANGKOK: -- Interior Minister Kowit Watana has ordered police to evict protesters from Government House compound by 6 pm, a well-informed source [said].

Government Spokesman Wichianchote Sukchokerat, meanwhile, expressed confidence that the prime minister will be able to enter Government and work in his office there as usual on Wednesday.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

I also agree.

I would also say that Its easier to read news articles when they are posted without the posters own commentary , or bits being highlighted or deleted.

CHeers

EDIT ^^ thats a example of how it should be done.

Edited by percy2

This would be the discussion thread for breaking news regarding today's events. Turn on your television for pure news broadcasts. WADR

Remember not everyone is in BKK.

Cheers

Cheers

this is a forum for discussion ... you have internet and there are streaming news sites :D

Cheers

One is in Samui and one in Trang. They should get good reception there.

Edited by grantbkk

Cheers

this is a forum for discussion ... you have internet and there are streaming news sites :D

JD I agree in large part.

But this is the Thai news clippings section , and a lot f people use TV to get there news.

Cheers

Thaksin, Samak et all are business people who took advantage of the inherent greed of the ordinary Thai voter. They saw the opportunity in the Politics Business to invest 30 million baht to buy 60,000 votes at 500 baht each. 60, 000 Thai voters happy to sell democracy for 500 baht each in each constituency. The businessman/politician will then reap his rewards through corrupt government tenders.

This country won't change until ordinary Thai people stop selling their votes for 500 baht.

I think the statement is "a society has the government it deserves" !

It's the top story on the Beeb's International page now. And as usual, it takes the BBC to call things accurately. Calling a spade and spade..Here's an excerpt.

BBC>

This is a mass protest movement with a difference, according to the BBC correspondent in Bangkok, Jonathan Head.

Despite the name, the People's Alliance for Democracy is actually campaigning for an end to democracy, arguing that in Thailand Western-style elections have only led to corrupt and ineffective governments.

Instead, it wants a largely appointed parliament, and a legalised role for the military as a kind of referee in Thai politics, our correspondent adds.

I reckon if that's what it wants, then Thailand will need to change its name to Burma, eh?

Edited by thaigene2

PAD to continue laying seige on gov't installations for three days

BANGKOK: - People's Alliance for Democracy spokesman Suriyasai Katasila on Tuesday said protesters would continue to lay seige on Government House and other installations for three days.

"We will not waver in the Thai Khu Fah plan to force the prime minister to step down," he said.

On Wednesday, the PAD will step up pressure by cutting electricity and water supplies at key government installations, he said.

Should the government insist on clinging to power, the PAD will prescribe stronger measures, he said.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

It's the top story on the Beeb's International page now. And as usual, it takes the BBC to call things accurately. Calling a spade and spade..Here's an excerpt.

BBC>

This is a mass protest movement with a difference, according to the BBC correspondent in Bangkok, Jonathan Head.

Despite the name, the People's Alliance for Democracy is actually campaigning for an end to democracy, arguing that in Thailand Western-style elections have only led to corrupt and ineffective governments.

Instead, it wants a largely appointed parliament, and a legalised role for the military as a kind of referee in Thai politics, our correspondent adds.

I reckon if that's what it wants, then Thailand will need to change its name to Burma, eh?

I am sure the BBC is properly providing unbiased news. </sarcasm>

News anchorman Kitti punched by protesters

News anchorman Kitti Singhapad said he is now safe after being attacked by protesters during a commotion at the NBT station on Tuesday morning.

Kitti said he went to observe around the People's Alliance for Democracy's rally this morning because he had long good relationship with the PAD's leaders.

He did not think any bad thing would have happened to him. he was hit by a punch and poured water on.

However, when the protesters saw him, they booed at him before tried to hurt him.Kitti said the protesters misunderstood that guards of People's Alliance for Democracy took him into their custody so many attacked him by pouring water on him and booing him.

He said the guards helped him out of the scene during which he was punched one time. He thanked PAD security staffs who helped him get out to a taxi.

Hmm, So much for peaceful PAD protests. They have gone too new lows. Its time the police stepped in and started being a little more serious with these hooligans.

are you blind? illiterate? poor english? the anchorman clearly said, that pad helped him, saved him and he thanked them for getting him out. how can you turn that clear message upside down and accuse the pad? the 'protesters', punchers and water pourers were obviously not related to pad but paid 'agents' to provoke unrest (disguised as pad).

Edited by scyriacus

Samak issues ultimatum to PAD

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej warned protesters on Tuesday that his government's tolerance is drying up but fall short of saying what actions he will take.

Samak assigned Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Pol Gen Kowit Wattana to handle the security situations and to oversees the overall police operation.

Samak acccused People's Alliance for Democracy of crossing the lines with its mass protest in Bangkok Tuesday that included the seizing of state-run National Broadcasting Television (NBT) studio and some ministries.

His government's tolerance has nearly come to an end when the PAD-led protesters stormed into the Government House on Tuesday afternoon.

He warned that if the PAD co-leaders still continued their cross-the-line movements, his government is still have many procedures and mechanism to handle the situation.

He mentioned about the emergency laws but said that is another steps.

He warned protesters to go home and go back to their families if they did not want to face legal action. He thanked Bangkokians for not joining the protest.

But for people from up country who joined the protest, the prime minister said they were lured to join and should go back home.

He also said he will take legal action against PAD's leaders who impolitely criticised him on the stages. He said all were recorded and they will surely be faced legal action.

--The Nation 2008-08-26

PAD to continue laying seige on gov't installations for three days

BANGKOK: -- People's Alliance for Democracy spokesman Suriyasai Katasila on Tuesday said protesters would continue to lay seige on Government House and other installations for three days.

"We will not waver in the Thai Khu Fah plan to force the prime minister to step down," he said.

On Wednesday, the PAD will step up pressure by cutting electricity and water supplies at key government installations, he said.

Should the government insist on clinging to power, the PAD will prescribe stronger measures, he said.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Apparently the "PAD" have been paying people 2-300 THB to pretend to be protesters. For those who wonder why these people aren't at work, technically they are.

Where did you get that snippet from Gym?

Cheers, Rick

I asked some Thai friends here why all those people weren't at work and they laughed and told me to look closely at them, not a majority of mid class Bangkokians. Apparently it is no secret they have been offering people in the provinces money and shirts to protest, this time and last time.

BBC>

I am sure the BBC is properly providing unbiased news. </sarcasm>

Would you mind pointing which part of the quoted BBC report is inaccurate?

Schools Temporarily Suspended in Fear of Violence Breaking Out

UPDATE : 26 August 2008

BANGKOK: - Schools located near the locations of the PAD mobile rally sites have decided to temporarily closed down to ensure students' safety.

Schools that have decided to temporarily suspend classes are Makutkasatriyaram Temple school, Wat Sommanas school, Rajavinit Mothayom school, Mathayom Wat Benjamabopit school and Chitralada school.

Other schools nearby are currently reviewing the situation and will notify parents and students via traffic radio network 100 FM. These schools are Santiratwitthayalai school, Sriayudhya school, Surasak Montri school, Samsen Witthayalai school, and Satriwithaya school.

-- Thailand Outlook Channel 2008-08-26

Apparently the "PAD" have been paying people 2-300 THB to pretend to be protesters. For those who wonder why these people aren't at work, technically they are.

Where did you get that snippet from Gym?

Cheers, Rick

My staff and my wife went there, as well some of our wealthy customer. I guess they wouldn't care of 300 THB. It is complete nonsense that they get paid. Actually our staff even give some money there.

My staff and my wife went there, as well some of our wealthy customer. I guess they wouldn't care of 300 THB. It is complete nonsense that they get paid. Actually our staff even give some money there.

Yeah, some are there of their own will, but some are being paid. What grounds do you have to say it's nonsense?

Can I ask a simple question ?

Why is it that Gymshark has so much to say today ?

Today's postings so far :-

..............Member Joined ...Total Member Posts..... Posts Today........... % of today's posts

gymshark 2008-06-03 ............400 ..........................89 ..................3.84%

george ... 2002-11-20 ...........19,896....................... 49 ...................2.11%

Classifieds 20.07-09-23 ........7,851......................... 37 ....................1.59%

Edited by LeungKen