Baked Beans....

Niloc

I have been looking for some real tinned beans for a while and I found some in Tesco.. Not that pommie muck but real baked beans, packed by Ardmona foods in Shepparton, Victoria, Australia.

I was in Shep in December last year staying with my sister, drinking decent wine and enjoying the races.

Colin

Firstly may I inform the rather uneducated Niloc and Bananaman that the word Pommie comes from the letters on the jackets worn by your ancesters P.O.M.E. Prisoner Of Mother England. Secondly the "pommie muck" is made by a massive american company called Heinz.Hardly unheard of unless you have spent most of your life under a billabong tree in Wagga Wagga

POME anagram is almost correct, but it reffered to those left behind in England, not transported.... Prisoner, Person is still a source of debate

Niloc used Pommie, which is correct.

POM E became Pommy (POM), Pommie in Aussie slang.

Edited by ozsamurai

Not that I'm an expert on tinned food but whats wrong with those baked beans from Malaysia...Aytam brand. Slightly bigger than the norm but not too bad. If you'd have been here 29 years ago....believe me, you would have seen farangs ( sorry,mustn't say that apparently ) kill for a tin of baked beans. A mate and I used to bring 'em in by bag load on the way back from our Penang visa runs to give to the less fortunate. Then we conceived the idea of legally bringing in a whole pick up trucks worth for a healthy profit but we were stumped by the expensive import duty :o

Not that pommie muck but real baked beans, packed by Ardmona foods

Yeah, real baked beans made by that world famous company Armona foods unlike that pommie muck made by that entirely unheard of company Heinz.

Reputations speak volumes.

1.Never heard of that mis-spelt company and :D

2. I'd check your facts where Heinz originated from cos it wasnt The Dis-United Kingdom, mate. I think it was in another colony somewhere! :o

From the Heinz website

Heinz was founded in Sharpsburg

(a suburb of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, in 1869 by entrepreneur Henry John Heinz

Pennsylvania, i believe, is in the USA. This, in turn, is owned by the UK. (it's not well known because we are highly embarrassed about it).

All of this is irrelevant though. If the beans are good enough to increase flatulence they are good enough to eat :o

I take the Heinz beans, add:

Molasses

Brown sugar

Brown mushrooms

Green peppers (painless ones)

Onions

Let that simmer for a couple hours, and that my friends is Fat Jack's Amelican BBQ Beans

Edited by bunta71

I don't have anything against the Pommie muck style baked beans except they don't taste as good as they could. They all seem to eat baked beans straight out of the can like tramps and hobos do in America. No one, but a welfare mom with no self respect would eat them like that where I come from.

We like baked beans something like this:

bunta71 Posted Today, 2008-08-27 17:32:32

I take the Heinz beans, add:

Molasses

Brown sugar

Brown mushrooms

Green peppers (painless ones)

Onions

Let that simmer for a couple hours, and that my friends is Fat Jack's Amelican BBQ Beans

The best baked beans in Thailand come from He11's Kitchen in Chiang Mai and the Hard Rock Cafe in Bangkok. No Pommie muck comes close. :o

First, choose your beans (kidney, navy, whatever you like...). Soak in water overnight. Next day, boil until they begin to soften, and drain.

In a large pan, cook some onion and garlic in a little oil. Add a few cups fresh or canned tomatoes plus tomato paste, mushrooms, bacon/ham, your favourite herbs/spices. Add beans. Cook. Eat.

Firstly may I inform the rather uneducated Niloc and Bananaman that the word Pommie comes from the letters on the jackets worn by your ancesters P.O.M.E. Prisoner Of Mother England. Secondly the "pommie muck" is made by a massive american company called Heinz.Hardly unheard of unless you have spent most of your life under a billabong tree in Wagga Wagga

A point well made.

And of course sitting under that billabong tree one wouldn't know where Heinz originate (well would they) :o

You're all as mad as toast...

Who's been going to Tesco and reaching past the delicious Brook brand baked beans (38 Baht) to pick up the slightly cheaper and much nastier Ayam muck! Ayam beans are huge and the sauce is overly sweet - try Brook and you'll never look back... lovely sauce and nice beans to boot.

You can thank me later, but don't steal all the cans off the shelf please ;-)

You're all as mad as toast...

Who's been going to Tesco and reaching past the delicious Brook brand baked beans (38 Baht) to pick up the slightly cheaper and much nastier Ayam muck! Ayam beans are huge and the sauce is overly sweet - try Brook and you'll never look back... lovely sauce and nice beans to boot.

You can thank me later, but don't steal all the cans off the shelf please ;-)

My Tescos has only just started selling Ayam beans, either that or they have been well hidden. It's the only choice i have. It's been so long since i had a "real" can of baked beans that Ayam is more than good enough.

Slightly off topic, but pertinent, is the billabong tree. It is actually the Coolabah tree in the song. Or to give it it's true name, Eucalyptus microtheca F. Mueller.

But in 1994 the foremost eucalypt botanists Hill & Johnson published a taxonomic revision in which this entity was split into 8 species (Hill, K D & Johnson, L A S, Telopea vol. 5(4):743-771).

'Waltzing Matilda' was penned by A B Paterson reportedly while visiting a sheep station at Winton in western Queensland and after hearing a local legend. The subspecies in that region is subsp. arida - or to give it its full name ...

Eucalyptus coolabah Blakely & Jacobs subsp. arida (Blakely) L. Johnson & K. Hill. I believe Hill & Johnson's revision of the coolabahs is generally accepted among Australian botanists, though some of their other eucalypt revisions have aroused controversy (e.g. recognition of Corymbia as a distinct genus).

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bo...53425865.html?1

Meanwhile back to the Baked Beans

In 1876 B&M baked beans were the first baked beans to be sold in cans. The Burnham & Morill Company canned baked beans for use by fishermen who worked their fishing fleet out of Portland, Maine.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fbakedbeans.html

Kingaroy is also known as the Baked Bean Capital of Australia. We can probably thank our lucky stars that the bean's other popular name at the time ("the Yankee bean") didn't catch on.

http://www.beangrowers.com.au/about.htm

I picked up a couple of cans at Rimping recently to try. One was Heinz Baked Beans in Barbecue Sauce and one with Ham. I thought they were pretty good. But then I haven't had baked beans in years so probably any would tasted fine. :o

Not that pommie muck but real baked beans, packed by Ardmona foods

Yeah, real baked beans made by that world famous company Armona foods unlike that pommie muck made by that entirely unheard of company Heinz.

Reputations speak volumes.

1.Never heard of that mis-spelt company and :D

2. I'd check your facts where Heinz originated from cos it wasnt The Dis-United Kingdom, mate. I think it was in another colony somewhere! :o

Well we already established that I made a typo there and missed out a 'D' but that doesn't detract any from my point that Ardmona is known to no one outside of Australia and Heinz is known worldwide. With regards to your second point, nowhere in my post did I say that Heinz was a UK company, I just suggested that it was a tad more famous for its beans than certain other companies.

Anyways pointless bickering aside, I think beans are one of those things that you grew up eating so everyone has a clear idea of what they think they should taste like from an early age. Horses for courses and all that.

I guess sarcasm is way over your head.

The word 'Pommy' originates from the Pomegranates the English sailors ate to ward off scurvy, the illness caused by a lack of ablutions for which the Poms are well known.

Colin

With all the gas coming out of you I bet you don't smell too fresh either! and while you're at it, eat some yogurt I hear it's good for flatulence and it's got it's own culture too!! :o

The word 'Pommy' originates from the Pomegranates the English sailors ate to ward off scurvy, the illness caused by a lack of ablutions for which the Poms are well known.

Colin

I heard it was the acronym POHM (not POME) on convict uniforms which stands for Prisoner of Her Majesty. But I wouldn't really know as my grandfather was never a criminal.

Australians are a little like their Scottish sisters. They puff and blow against anything English (consumption of baked beans with all meals). Ask your Head of State whether beans are an Australian food or an English food derivative, afterall she is English.