Translation Of Thai National Song

lannaman

We hear this song in Thai every day at 8am and 6pm. I've often wondered what the words were, so here it is:

I photographed this today at the school where I teach. Written by a Thai teacher there are a couple of grammar mistakes.

post-42984-1219845943_thumb.jpg

holy crap! is that the real translation? nothing against the royalty and all, but this song screams propaganda.

Cambodia killed millions of their own people for "the greater good of the nation".

I've always wondered if Thailand would be capable of such a thing. I think it is a scary possibility (however unlikely).

We hear this song in Thai every day at 8am and 6pm. I've often wondered what the words were, so here it is:

I photographed this today at the school where I teach. Written by a Thai teacher there are a couple of grammar mistakes.

Click on this link for a comparision and other songs

--

http://www.learningthai.com/songs/index.html

Have sent this to many people for entertainment value

Think about when that song was made.  1932, right?  That kind of mentality was quite popular worldwide I would imagine.

lived here 4 years, and not really taken note of the english meaning of anthem

but from reading the link and the translate in th OP, it is pretty scary............ , i think an update is needed

And they are taught it at a very early age......how many western children know their National Anthem?

I think it's a credit to them to be so patriotic.

Edited by Tafia

Thanks for that. Its not what I expected. Short & to the point. Puts 'Johnny Foreigner' firmly in his place.

I'd much prefer my pretty little girls to be singing something a bit more romantic first thing in the morning but hey, this is thailand.

Most national anthems are militaristic. However, few other are so overtly xenophobic.

I'm partial toward the American anthemn (however I may be prejudiced!). However, even getting into the third verse of that is a bit scary:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country should leave us no more!

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

However, overall it's quite uplifting; the confusion brought about by not know wether or not the town was taken slowly giving way to the knowledge that they were victorious and thus establishing a new country is quite stirring.

Interesting tidbit: the song was penned in 1814 but didn't become the national anthem until 1931.

The British national anthem had a line "rebellious Scots to crush" in 1745 ish, time of the Jacobite uprising, but I think it was never used afterward. The second verse still has the line "scatter her enemies"

Interesting if the Thai National anthem was composed as long ago as 1932, what happened when the Japanese Imperial Army arrived in WW2.

PS ; I have just read that the lyrics were added in 1939.

Edited by phutoie2

The British national anthem had a line "rebellious Scots to crush" in 1745 ish, time of the Jacobite uprising, but I think it was never used afterward. The second verse still has the line "scatter her enemies"

Interesting if the Thai National anthem was composed as long ago as 1932, what happened when the Japanese Imperial Army arrived in WW2.

The Thais fought for approximately 9 hours and then reached a rather unfairable armistice. In fact there was an invasion force of Australian and Punjabi who tried to enter Thailand to help stop the Japanese on the 8th, but were set upon by Thai Royal Police. The real defining act by the Thais during Operation Krohcol was calling in Japanese conquerors to attack these Allied soldiers who were trying to stop the Japanese........

PS ; I have just read that the lyrics were added in 1939.

National Anthems are written specifically to generate nationalistic xenophobia. Much better to listen to Joni Mitchell.

I fully agree.

Governments love to use this idea to make "unpatriotic" people feel guilty, thus helping to maintain a "sheep" mentality throughout the population.

I have attached Australia's national anthem. Nowhere in this anthem is the word "blood" used.