Power Cut Threatened As Protests Spread

george

UPRISING IN MAKING

Power cut threatened as protests spread

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters on Friday threatened to shut down Mae Moh power plant, as calls for an uprising have triggered raillies at southern airports and disrputed train services. A university radio station was seized and large numbers of people were believed to be heading to Government House.

Somchok Chanthong, communications coordinator for Mae Moh power plant and a People's Alliance for Democracy leader in the North, said that if more police forces are deployed to crush anti-government protesters at the Makawan Bridge and the Government House, he is ready to lead supporters in the North to shut down Mae Moh power plant.

Protests have been staged at the Hat Yai and Phuket airports, causing inconvenience to travellers but there were no reports yet of flight cancellation. This added to the PAD-engineered railway strike which involved work stoppage by 240 workers and cancelled 35 train routes as of Friday.

THAI union leaders have encouraged the national airline workers to "take leave" in support of the PAD. The movement's sympathisers in Trat, Trang and Kanchanaburi were said to be planning to travel to Bangkok to join the Government House protest.

State enterprises' worker associations, who are the PAD's key allies, were also discussing more measures to increase pressure on the government. The measures could involve electricity and water works employees.

Emails were circulated yesterday apologising the public for "inconvenience" caused by PAD's moves.

The Manager's website reported that hundreds of students at the Prince of Songkhla University have "taken over" the university's radio station (FM 88 MHZ) and use it to relay broadcast from anti-government ASTV.

Opposition and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and 10 senators visited anti-government protesters on Friday afternoon and made a strong plea for both the government and its political rivals to refrain from voilence.

The protesters have retaken full control of Government House, driving out police who had penetrated parts of the compound earlier Friday.

Skirmishes at Government House entrances and bigger scuffles at the nearby Makkawan Bridge left some protesters injured. Abhisit said he visited protesters at the Makkawan Bridge because he was concerned by reports of the clashes.

He called on Parliament to convene an urgent session to address the growing political crisis.

Bangkok senator Rosana Tositrakul led other 9 senators to visit the protesters at Government House.

The Senate earlier on Friday interrupted its normal session and went into an urgent debate after police's clashes with anti-government protesters brought political tension to new heights.

ASTV, the cable TV station belonging to the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, repeatedly replayed incidents at the Makkawan Bridge. Footages of scuffles and some protesters being assaulted, as well as blood-stained clothes were shown to home audience as protest leaders encamping inside Government House urged more people to join their protest.

ASTV repleatedly ran traffic advices on how to get to Government House.

Tension, which decreased on Thursday after Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej vowed a non-violent approach, rose again Friday. PAD sympathisers were making phone calls to friends, colleagues and relatives, some discussing plans to join the Government House sit-in.

There have been no reports of serious injuries from the Makkawan Bridge incidents. Nonetheless, what happened there was thought to be backfiring against the government as the PAD sought to bounce back from a major set-back to its image.

On Tuesday, PAD hardline members stormed the government-owned NBT station, briefly controlling it and terrifying news staffs. The invaders left the facility at last but the incident was a major blow to the movement's reputation.

The circulating emails said the PAD regretted the incident. They also said the protesters didn't mean to harm anyone. "We are fighting on your behalf and we are sorry for any inconvenience," the emails said.

The Senate cut short its routine session earlier on Friday and started a debate on the political tension. Many senators called for their colleagues to travel to the protest site in order to ensure there was no violence erupted.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is consulting with Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondet to convent a House-Senate session to debate the issue.

Policemen in full riot gears moved into the back of Government House in the morning to post the eviction order and removed protesters on the grounds. They also cleared the protest site at Makawan Rangsan Bridge which the People's Alliance for Democracy vacated earlier in the morning to move to Government House.

Police seemed to gain control of the bridge, Rajadamnoen Nok Avenue and the Mitsakawan intersection.

The PAD-led rally on the lawn in front of the Thai Khu Fah Building at the frontal of Government House continued Friday without interruption.

-- The Nation 2008-08-29

Mmmm 10% of the national grid knocked out

I don't know the conditions of the Thai grid (the cable are everywhere nice and neat :o:D )

If you make an emergency shutdown of it, what happens

a) enough other power sources=nothing

:D an area will take out of the grid till other power sources bring enough power

c) the next power plant gets overloaded and must make an emergency shutdown....half or the complete grid collapse and we can sit in the dark--beer gets warm.

Which areas in Thailand would be affected if the Mae Moh power plant was shut down ?

Is it mainly areas around Bangkok or further away ?

"According to the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand which operates the power plant, Mae Moh has the capacity of 2,625 megawatts/ or about 10 per cent of Egat's capacity. Most of the supply goes to the northern part of Thailand."

Source: The Nation Business section

PS. Mae Moh is located a few kilometers from the city of Lampang (Lampang Province).

Which areas in Thailand would be affected if the Mae Moh power plant was shut down ?

Is it mainly areas around Bangkok or further away ?

The target reserve margin for the Thai grid is 15%. Presently, it's a little more than that. So if Mae Moh is completely shut down, there will still be enough generating capacity; although with very little margin left.

There is a 500 kV transmission line from Mae Moh to Bangkok (Nong Chok).

Edited by Deke

If there are significant power cuts disrupting commerce (which the one discussed above may not), and a simultaneous crippling of the transportation system via strikes, then I see the military "gently" ousting Samak et al, and announcing that the goals of the PAD have been substantially met. Under this reasonable enough rationale they will be able to quickly restore order, the infrastructure to the status quo, and gain some credibility in the process especially if they came up with an amnesty program for the PAD in exchange for their agreement to shut up and transform into a political party with an agenda. What happens after that I won't venture to predict. Of the police, government and military, I view the latter as the least corrupt. If they learned the lesson from the last coup that they should leave the basic government (especially economic) policies to career civilian professionals, they may be able to fractionally improve the next elected government that eventually replaces them. An optimistic rant!

Edited by cloudhopper

Just read the following on the Nation Newspaper...

COALITION IN CRISIS

"Govt allies want Samak to resign"

Leaders of the People Power Party's key coalition partners have agreed to ask Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to step down, sources said.

The decision were made at a meeting at Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa's residence late Friday evening, the sources said.

The allies wanted Samak to resign to defuse the crisis but didn't want him to dissolve Parliament, according to the sources.

As the People Alliance for Democracy increased nationwide pressure on the government, political attention turned to the allies, whose pressure would be needed if Samak was to be forced to step down.

All but Pracharaj leader Snoh thienthong were present at Banharn's house. Deputy Prime Minsiter and senior Chart Thai member Sanan Kachornprasart was said to be the one who "coordinated" the meeting.

Earlier, it had been reported that Banharn was planning a press conference at 9 pm. Then it was reported that he decided to cancel the meeting.

Allies' withdrawal of support will mean the government will virtually collapse. Samak will either have to resign or dissolve Parliament.

Samak's resignation means Parliament will have to elect another MP as prime minister.

The present Constitution stipulates that the prime minister must be an elected MP. However, "suspension" of certain constitutional clauses, it is believed, will be enough to pave the way for appointment of a non-MP prime minister if necessary.

.......Looks like Samak will be out soon, I just hope that the PAD keeps going until the Government comes down. Don't just let them replace one puppet leader with another one

Protests have been staged at the Hat Yai and Phuket airports, causing inconvenience to travellers but there were no reports yet of flight cancellation.

My car is parked at Phuket airport. I wonder when I can take it off the parking lot. How is paying the parking fee? Who is paying for a possible damage to the car? Is this a riot not covered by first class insurance? The plane came from BKK about half an hour too late, the gates at the airport were closed already, had to climb the fence at the airfreight part of the airport to get out. :o

Protests have been staged at the Hat Yai and Phuket airports, causing inconvenience to travellers but there were no reports yet of flight cancellation.

My car is parked at Phuket airport. I wonder when I can take it off the parking lot. How is paying the parking fee? Who is paying for a possible damage to the car? Is this a riot not covered by first class insurance? The plane came from BKK about half an hour too late, the gates at the airport were closed already, had to climb the fence at the airfreight part of the airport to get out. :o

Go and pick it up, they won`t lynch you. Bring them food and water while you`re at it.

This kind of nonviolent civil protest can spread to the private sector as well. I visited Venezuela in 2002/2003. Imagine an entire country without soda pop, beer, or other normal items, and queues for gasoline and gas cylinders several km long....and the currency exchange rate lost sixty percent in several weeks....

Mass power failure............ the possible scenarios are wild.

Would it be like the time on the eastern seaboard of Canada/USA (60's I think) when big cities went dark. 9 months later there were a lot of new babies or would it be like New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina where the locals went on a killing and looting rampage? Imagine the fun to be had if Bangkok went dark.....

Sometimes what we wish for turns out to be a taste of hel_l.

All condo living TV members can now start to lose their beerguts by taking the stairs instead of the lift.

On a more serious note I have a mate living in LOS who tells me he would never enter a lift there without taking water with him, paranoid or just 30 years as a firefighter..... :o

All condo living TV members can now start to lose their beerguts by taking the stairs instead of the lift.

On a more serious note I have a mate living in LOS who tells me he would never enter a lift there without taking water with him, paranoid or just 30 years as a firefighter..... :o

Must get awful hot pretty fast in that elevator shaft with no air supply when it's 34 degrees outside.

On a more serious note I have a mate living in LOS who tells me he would never enter a lift there without taking water with him, paranoid or just 30 years as a firefighter..... :D

Must get awful hot pretty fast in that elevator shaft with no air supply when it's 34 degrees outside.

I hope my wife doesn't get stuck in an elevator, or I may get pretty anti with the PAD types who live here :o

On a more serious note I have a mate living in LOS who tells me he would never enter a lift there without taking water with him, paranoid or just 30 years as a firefighter..... huh.gif

Yeah we had a company come to 'service' the lifts in our building a few months back. Three of us have been trapped in the lift since, two had to be rescued. One person experienced the left suddently falling to the next floor...stopping, falling again three times. And the floor indicator bounces up and down wildly with no connection to the actual direction of movement!

Goodnight, see you Closet Revolutionaries and Armchair Samak Apologists in the morning :-)

you poor guy, i pity you, i will report this immediatelly to khun samak and ask, no better order him to fully pay for your parking fee. he will perfectly understand, that your problem is more important (like those of many other posters here) than corruption in thailand. i will also order him, to lower the beer price, or else all farangs will leave this ugly country immediatelly and samak will suffer and has to bear the responsibility to have let thailand into despair. is that ok with you? can you forgive, excuse, pardon thailand? please!

...and the currency exchange rate lost sixty percent in several weeks....

We live in hope.

Now that would be a most spectacular own goal for all the nationalistas who would evidently only be happy with 'democracy' resulting from another election after of course they rigged the voting process in their favour. In all of this the only redeeming unsullied feature is he who is rightly venerated and the institution he represents which we can't discuss, besides which without the aforementioned institution the words banana and republic would be on a most spectacular collision course.

you poor guy, i pity you, i will report this immediatelly to khun samak and ask, no better order him to fully pay for your parking fee. he will perfectly understand, that your problem is more important (like those of many other posters here) than corruption in thailand. i will also order him, to lower the beer price, or else all farangs will leave this ugly country immediatelly and samak will suffer and has to bear the responsibility to have let thailand into despair. is that ok with you? can you forgive, excuse, pardon thailand? please!

brutal

Whats the current update.. The thai news was just on and I wasnt paying attention, then the girls here said that both power and water will cut off on 3rd or 4th !! I obviously fired about 10 different questions (full time, for one day only, ongoing, regional, etc etc etc) which just got that look.. Even tho it was apparently an entire news story that was all the news they could hear they went back to eating !!!!!

Edited by LivinLOS

One of the heads of the Labour Union did mention on stage yesterday that many Ministries, including the Interior Ministry have outstanding water and electrical bills in the hundreds of millions and have been dragging for years, corruption being so rampant that the rape of the yearly budgets leave nothing behind to pay those bills. They will be cutoff as well if it remains the same.