Ninja 250 Vs Cbr 150

bobbin

Wow, so you kinda base your classes on the Euro standards but you move a bike out of one and then create a new class. I don't know the rules and regulations but if you would kindly state what you think the classes should be at it would help me understand where you're coming from. I was under the belief that you were simply looking at overall size/output ratings to create general classes. And just out of curiousity, would a NSR 150 fall into a CBR 150 class or a Ninja 250? I mean it has greater output than a 250 but a smaller frame. It's very confusing.

Sorry for being so confusing, but it's like in US you have other standards which is unfamiliar for Europeans, so I understand the confusion. Both of the bikes are small don't get me wrong, but due to the system from back home I see them as small and medium frame, in US you would call both of them small. The NSR is also a small frame (as 125) bike which granted would outperform the 250, it has nothing to do with performance, but the frame is still in 125 size. If you like 2 strokes that bike is a great bike.

The frame size on 125's (150 has same frame) is basically smaller then the 250, which is why I saw them as small and medium, hope that cleared up the confusion I unfortunately created.

Ok, I'll allow you to place the Ninja in the medium frame sized class. I still disagree since a few millimeters does not move it to that classification in my book. If it does, what are some examples of other medium sized bikes? And where does even the 400, which has a much bigger frame than either of the two bikes fall? Into a medium-large class?

I believe the whole intent of this thread was to keep the *ahem* friendly discussion from over-running the Ninja thread. I also believe that the Thai Visa members who own a Ninja should start a 'club' thread as was started for the CBR 150R. I'm sure that min-flame wars such as these would be quickly extinguished by PeaceBlondie. I'm all up for riding with anyone, I just responded to Richard's quote because although it had the ability to be funny it lost the humour by the person delivering it. It would be similar to an Irishman telling an joke that was slightly slanderous about Irish and than an Englishman telling the same joke. When a 'joke' is told in with no malice intended, it's just that, a joke. When malice is intended it's quite different. I'm not convinced that RichardBKK intended it to be a joke....

I don't see anything unfriendly in this debate at all, just a debate between the two bikes. I driven both, I like the Ninja more due to far less vibrations, and with me in the seat the Ninja definately outperforms the CBR, if you put a 45 kilo Thai in the CBR vs 90 kilo me on the Ninja the situation is way different.

There is a Ninja 250 thread which went OT big time with debates of CBR, Er-6N etc. So it was good this thread removed that from the Ninja thread I am very happy for that.

I cannot speak for RichardBKK, I'm not him, but I believed it was a funny remark, that's all.

Ok. I'm really quite a pleasant fellow, at least in my view. :o I try and stay civil, but I'm obviously have enough of a temper not to keep quite should I feel that doing so would be out of my character. I'm also glad that this thread was started, because it will allow the Ninja owners, and those interested in becoming Ninja owners not have to get through all these posts.

As an aside; middle of November I'm going to be back in LOS. If anyone wants to meet up and ride at the track behind Seacon Sqaure locate on Srinarkarin, I'm game. In fact, I'm going to start a thread about that. The cost is minimal and the track is open to bikers on Saturday morning. I've ridden with several forum members there before, and it's great fun unless you have a 400+ cc bike. Reason being is that it's actually a go-kart track and while they open up the outside lanes which circumnavigate the whole track, you really can't get up to that much speed. If you try and go where the little bikes are mostly ridden you'll get your ass handed to you if you're on a big bike since you can't carry your speed into corners like us little bike riders can.

I would be game for some playing on the field, why not do it on Bira. It's open every day for bikers between 08:00 and 12:00 it's a full FIA track and that would be lot's of fun. I would be happy to do some racing, I love it.

Good idea with the thread also, could set up races around the Kingdom for fun and learning from eachothers, brilliant idea.

I'm up for it. Try and round up some others. We'll keep in touch. Perhaps starting a thread would be good?

Happy riding everyone :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll allow you to place the Ninja in the medium frame sized class. I still disagree since a few millimeters does not move it to that classification in my book. If it does, what are some examples of other medium sized bikes? And where does even the 400, which has a much bigger frame than either of the two bikes fall? Into a medium-large class?

OK thank's for letting me have it as a medium frame bike, let us compare the Ninja 250 R with a CBR400RR to see how much bigger the 400 really is.

Ninja 250R vs Honda CBR400RR (Size)

Total Lenght 2085mm vs 1990mm So the Ninja is a bit longer

Total Width 715mm vs 670mm So the Ninja is wider

Total Height 1115mm vs 1080mm so the Ninja is higher

Wheel base 1400mm vs 1375mm so the Ninja has longer wheel base

Seat Height 790mm vs 750mm so the Ninja has more leg room for larger people

Weight 152kg vs 163kg so the Honda is heavier which is logical due to larger displacement engine

The Ninja is in fact a bit bigger but lighter, but then again that is a RR which is all I bothered to dig up. So I would call both of them medium frame bikes.

Ok. I'm really quite a pleasant fellow, at least in my view. :o I try and stay civil, but I'm obviously have enough of a temper not to keep quite should I feel that doing so would be out of my character. I'm also glad that this thread was started, because it will allow the Ninja owners, and those interested in becoming Ninja owners not have to get through all these posts.

I agree with you there, it was good to move it out of the Ninja thread.

I'm up for it. Try and round up some others. We'll keep in touch. Perhaps starting a thread would be good?

Absolutely, I called Bira and they have no problems with it, you can drive superbikes there as well which allows more people to join in friendly open races. So there could be a 150 - 400 race and a 600 --- race plus an open for all race... One round to decide starting place and 3 or 4 laps race?

I also checked with the drag strip in Bangkok who is game for drag 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile which would be fun as well...

Happy riding everyone :D

I can remember that the Honda CBR400RR is something like 10 year old, does Honda still make this bikes? Anyway, the service manual of the CBR400RR-L says it is 180kg dry weight, maybe a printing error...

Edit : the -K was 182kg...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Most Japanese sportbikes have underestimated their dry weight by as much as ten percent for years now. I have no faith in factory weight figures. Nor do I care about five kilos in one way or the other, especially since the riders can differ by 25 kilos, wear a backpack, have a passenger, a full tank of fuel, etc.

The Ninja is a 250, and therefore should be better in almost every weigh. I mean, way. Or, as Bill and Ted said in their excellent adventure, "WAY!!"

Weight 152kg vs 163kg so the Honda is heavier which is logical due to larger displacement engine

The Ninja is in fact a bit bigger but lighter, but then again that is a RR which is all I bothered to dig up. So I would call both of them medium frame bikes.

WOW amazed !!

Having owned 400RR's they were a bit cramped (mostly weight on hands issues) but not madly so, knowing the Nnja is larger than the 400RR make me want to find one to go sit on it and get a feel.. Pics made me think it was slimmer / smaller.

The shorter wheelbase of the Honda CBR400 would theoretical make it more maneuverable then the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but I belief that the larger sizes tires on the Honda would eliminate that advantage. With it’s larger wheelbase and similar tires compared to the Honda CBR-150, the Kawasaki 250R would probably be more difficult to maneuver in tight traffic jams. The percentage of this disadvantage is probably very small.

Personal I would be interested in how the Ninja 250R would stand up against possible upcoming rivals. It is said that Honda is going to start importing motorcycles from Japan in the beginning of 2009. Honda manufactures only one 250cc “road” bike in Japan and that is the Honda VTR250. The Honda VTR is a 90-degree V-twin 250cc naked ala Ducati Monster style. In Japan is the Honda VTR250 more expensive then a Kawasaki 250R and Honda only keep sales numbers high by offering excellent financing for the bike.

As I already have a scheduled meeting with a graphical designer for end-of-the-year greeting cards, we can conclude that it not takes that long before we could legally buy larger Honda motorcycles.

WOW amazed !!

Having owned 400RR's they were a bit cramped (mostly weight on hands issues) but not madly so, knowing the Nnja is larger than the 400RR make me want to find one to go sit on it and get a feel.. Pics made me think it was slimmer / smaller.

Yeah I was surprised by this as well, but like I've said before, for some reason the Ninja looks quite a bit smaller in pictures (and in my opinion not as good looking) than it is when you stand next to one.

The riding position is slightly more upright than a CBR, but the seat is quite big so you can shift back or forward depending on what suits your size, although I have found that it slopes forward so I sometimes end up pressed against the tank.

As long as we are comparing longan to durian, I will compare my CBR150R with my boyfriend's Yamaha ZR1 scooter, with 135cc. I just got my CBR back today, and drove it after two months on the ZR1. The CBR150 is not much faster, not noticeably (in fact, the bf bought the Yamaha because it was faster than his 2007 Phantom 200). The CBR footpegs are much more rearset, and my crotch is squeezed against the big CBR tank, which is nearly three times the capacity. Both have twin disks, liquid cooling, 4 valve engines, carburetor, standard shifting, etc. But the scooter has 4 speeds, wire wheels, skinnier tires, step-through frame, bigger storage under the seat, etc. The CBR has a windscreen, tach, six speeds.

So, in one sense, it is silly to compare them. Yet they are more like one another than they are like a Ninja 250R. And neither is like a Phantom 200, or a 2300 Triumph triple. Silly.

The shorter wheelbase of the Honda CBR400 would theoretical make it more maneuverable then the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but I belief that the larger sizes tires on the Honda would eliminate that advantage. With it's larger wheelbase and similar tires compared to the Honda CBR-150, the Kawasaki 250R would probably be more difficult to maneuver in tight traffic jams. The percentage of this disadvantage is probably very small.

Even more important that the tire size is the rake/trail. For instance, look at Buell's bikes. If you were to solely consider the wheel base, you'd think the bike was really twitchy. However, with the rake/trail it has it is plenty stable.

Personal I would be interested in how the Ninja 250R would stand up against possible upcoming rivals. It is said that Honda is going to start importing motorcycles from Japan in the beginning of 2009. Honda manufactures only one 250cc "road" bike in Japan and that is the Honda VTR250. The Honda VTR is a 90-degree V-twin 250cc naked ala Ducati Monster style. In Japan is the Honda VTR250 more expensive then a Kawasaki 250R and Honda only keep sales numbers high by offering excellent financing for the bike.

I suppose that Honda importing a 'naked' bike into Thailand wouldn't hurt sales. After all, look at the little hooligans who race their Nuovos and Sonics. What's the first thing they do to go faster? Remove the fairings, wind resistance be damned!

As I already have a scheduled meeting with a graphical designer for end-of-the-year greeting cards, we can conclude that it not takes that long before we could legally buy larger Honda motorcycles.

"meet up and ride at the track behind Seacon Sqaure locate on Srinarkarin"

OMG, for real?! The first time I saw that little go cart track I thought it was for RC (Remote Control) cars. :o

That track is Thai-nee :D I'm sorry I don't mean to come across as condescending, but the idea of riding a sportbike on a go cart track does make me chuckle.

One a track that small there's no doubt that you'd want the smallest bike you could get your hands on. I mean hel_l, on a track that tiny I think I might be able to give you a go on my BICYCLE :D On a motorcycle would you ever get out of 1st gear???

Again- it's a good example of how impossible it is to compare a CBR150 and a Ninja 250R. As someone aptly said- It's Durian vs Mango! :D

At 5'10" and 70 Kg the 250R fits me perfectly. I think what you get for the price is a very good value. If I rode mostly in the city, then perhaps a smaller bike (or scooter) for Bangkok Rot Tit traffic might make sense. In fact, when I need to run to the store to pick up ice or whiskey I just steal the maid's Honda Click- it's certainly more functional for running errands and picking up grocieries than my Ninja 250R.

But then I didn't buy the Ninja 250R for riding in Bangkok traffic or for getting groceries.

I got it for weekend road trips into the countryside, and the added size, weight and displacement of the 250R do, in my humble opinion, make it the perfect bike for my needs.

My last bike was a CBR 600 F2. I loved that bike- I mean really LOVED it! So much so that when the first one was destroyed by a drunk driver the first thing I did when I got out of the hospital was to buy another, identical to the first. When I moved to Japan I brought my F2 along- what a blast since they don't sell them in Japan. I almost cried when I made the move to Thailand and discovered how impossible it would be to bring my beloved F2 along with me. I gifted it to a good friend in Japan and I hear it's still going strong.

The CBR 600 F2 was the most reliable easy to ride bike I ever owned. No wonder the CBR 600 series, going all the way back to the old Hurricane (CBR600F) OWNED the Bike of the Year position for so many years in the US and Europe. I mean, didn't Honda INVENT the modern fully faired sportbike with the CBR600F?

So, I know that the CBR 150 has an excellent pedigree, and I'm sure that it's a great value for the price. But, if you are in THAILAND and outgrow your CBR150, where do you go? What's the next step up? Given the limited choices in Thailand for fully legal, dealer serviced, warrantied motorcycles, I believe the Ninja 250R @ 140.000 Baht perfectly bridges the WIDE gap between the small and capable and very reasonably priced CBR150 and the Yamaha FZ6-Fazer @ 437.000 Baht

Just my two cents. I am happy to ride with anyone- your attitude is far more important than what you ride, IMHO :D

OMG, for real?! The first time I saw that little go cart track I thought it was for RC (Remote Control) cars. :D

You're obviously not a realtor. It's not small it's cozy!

That track is Thai-nee :D I'm sorry I don't mean to come across as condescending, but the idea of riding a sportbike on a go cart track does make me chuckle.

The fact that it's small and twisty is what makes it fun. Unless, of course you're an American who likes Nascar.

One a track that small there's no doubt that you'd want the smallest bike you could get your hands on. I mean hel_l, on a track that tiny I think I might be able to give you a go on my BICYCLE :D On a motorcycle would you ever get out of 1st gear???

Sure. I suppose you can exit out the second to last turn and accelerate to over 100 KPH in the stretch before the final turn? I like the track because it definitely re-enforces driving lines, braking etc. But as I alluded to earlier, if your cup of tea is a drag race or a bunch of left turns, I could see how it would be too much.

Again- it's a good example of how impossible it is to compare a CBR150 and a Ninja 250R. As someone aptly said- It's Durian vs Mango! :D

A slightly bigger bike with more power should allow it easy to handle the smaller bike. But of course, would you want to go to a bigger track and race in the 600 bracket with your Ninja?

At 5'10" and 70 Kg the 250R fits me perfectly. I think what you get for the price is a very good value. If I rode mostly in the city, then perhaps a smaller bike (or scooter) for Bangkok Rot Tit traffic might make sense. In fact, when I need to run to the store to pick up ice or whiskey I just steal the maid's Honda Click- it's certainly more functional for running errands and picking up grocieries than my Ninja 250R.

But then I didn't buy the Ninja 250R for riding in Bangkok traffic or for getting groceries.

Ain't that the truth. These pocket sportsbikes are extremely limited on carrying options. The stalks on the CBR 150 carry a LOT of grocery bags, but FWIW, don't ever try and use the helmet hooks under the pillion for carrying bags.

I got it for weekend road trips into the countryside, and the added size, weight and displacement of the 250R do, in my humble opinion, make it the perfect bike for my needs.

My last bike was a CBR 600 F2. I loved that bike- I mean really LOVED it! So much so that when the first one was destroyed by a drunk driver the first thing I did when I got out of the hospital was to buy another, identical to the first. When I moved to Japan I brought my F2 along- what a blast since they don't sell them in Japan. I almost cried when I made the move to Thailand and discovered how impossible it would be to bring my beloved F2 along with me. I gifted it to a good friend in Japan and I hear it's still going strong.

The CBR 600 F2 was the most reliable easy to ride bike I ever owned. No wonder the CBR 600 series, going all the way back to the old Hurricane (CBR600F) OWNED the Bike of the Year position for so many years in the US and Europe. I mean, didn't Honda INVENT the modern fully faired sportbike with the CBR600F?

So, I know that the CBR 150 has an excellent pedigree, and I'm sure that it's a great value for the price. But, if you are in THAILAND and outgrow your CBR150, where do you go? What's the next step up? Given the limited choices in Thailand for fully legal, dealer serviced, warrantied motorcycles, I believe the Ninja 250R @ 140.000 Baht perfectly bridges the WIDE gap between the small and capable and very reasonably priced CBR150 and the Yamaha FZ6-Fazer @ 437.000 Baht

You're quite correct. It is a huge spread between the 150 and the FZ6. I blame the tax man. I think that if people were really serious about going up to a bigger bike after the CBR 150, I don't think that only getting a 250 (and that's no slam against the Ninja) would satisfy them. If I was living in Thailand permanently, I would be very tempted to get a Versys. So there, all you who think I'm a Kawasaki hater!

Just my two cents. I am happy to ride with anyone- your attitude is far more important than what you ride, IMHO :(

I'll be there mid-November. Let's arrange a large ride. If everyone has an iron butt, we could even ride up to Chiang Mai and visit PeaceBlondie. I'll supply the truck to carry whatever luggage is needed. And I'm sure that PB will let us crash in his house. :o

You're quite correct. It is a huge spread between the 150 and the FZ6. I blame the tax man. I think that if people were really serious about going up to a bigger bike after the CBR 150, I don't think that only getting a 250 (and that's no slam against the Ninja) would satisfy them. If I was living in Thailand permanently, I would be very tempted to get a Versys. So there, all you who think I'm a Kawasaki hater!

Is it on the Thai market ??

I knew the FZ6 was a dealer purchase, just didnt know the Versys was. Rumors of the ER6N for next year are often but its a wait and see.

Edited by LivinLOS

One of the best places to race for bikes is at Bira international race track. I tried to race on some kart tracks before and they are not designed for bikes, yes you can drive bikes there but honestly the narrow lane and 180 curves is not very good for speed with bikes, nor overtake. Doable yes, but I bet you a scooter with automatic will beat most bikes on a kart track.

So Bira which does Supercar, Superbike and what have you is open every day exept race days or if it's reserved for motorbikes from 08:00 to 12:00 price is 1000 Baht drive all you want. First of all it's a great track, secondly it's wide enough to overtake, thirdly it's long enough and it's FIA approved for safe zones etc. so if you do slide it's the safest place to do so...

I talked to them and they said why don't you just split in a >400 race and <400 race plus an open for all race? Everyone can be there and enjoy. Afternoon people can race with there cars if they want to, so it would be a blast for anyone who likes to race cars as well... Not for the few who would be beaten by Finos anyway... You might be surprised who win in open races, I've seen 400's win over literbikes there so it would be real fun.

OMG, for real?! The first time I saw that little go cart track I thought it was for RC (Remote Control) cars. :o

Khun Manna will rent the track to whoever has money. You should hear them power shifting their NOS boosted Ciefiero's. All slide & no glide.

It's funny to us but I'm sure they all think they are in the fast & the furious.

I'll be there mid-November. Let's arrange a large ride. If everyone has an iron butt, we could even ride up to Chiang Mai and visit PeaceBlondie. I'll supply the truck to carry whatever luggage is needed. And I'm sure that PB will let us crash in his house. :o

If my evil boss won't send me offshore during that time, I'm on the Iron Butt Ride... :D Might be able convince my wife to drive the car up with luggage, and some other passengers if GF's, BF's or kids want to go as well.

Lots of nice places to ride up there, How long will you be in Thailand when you come over anyways?

Please see the layout for Bira, note the small track is for karts and the big one for bikes and cars, probably going to do shifterkarts there next year as well. Anyway it's not a Nascar thing or only one turn circuit, it's a very nice track.

post-60239-1220526564_thumb.jpg

If my evil boss won't send me offshore during that time, I'm on the Iron Butt Ride... :D Might be able convince my wife to drive the car up with luggage, and some other passengers if GF's, BF's or kids want to go as well.

Lots of nice places to ride up there, How long will you be in Thailand when you come over anyways?

I have a 4 door Toyota Pre-Runner. So with the wife and baby in it, I should still have 3 seats left over. Luggage space is what's to be expected from a short bed truck.

I will be in Thailand for 17 days. I'm planning on leaving Bangkok on the 20th-ish and riding up to Chiang Mai. I don't know how long it will take me to get up there, just depends on the route. I have a Garmin Zumo so I don't get lost too badly though.

We have room out on the sala, next to the klong, for visiting firemen and would-be minibike racers. :D I use the term minibike because that is what 250 and 150 bikes are considered in the West, kid's learner bikes. I saw a 250 Aprilia in Houston and thought it was a pit bike. :o Here it is fun to compare a CBR150 to a Ninja 250 or a Yamaha 135. We are in the pee-wee league.

We have room out on the sala, next to the klong, for visiting firemen and would-be minibike racers. :D I use the term minibike because that is what 250 and 150 bikes are considered in the West, kid's learner bikes. I saw a 250 Aprilia in Houston and thought it was a pit bike. :o Here it is fun to compare a CBR150 to a Ninja 250 or a Yamaha 135. We are in the pee-wee league.

Well the pee-wee legue seems to be coming up for a visit, so be prepared for some really unserious people around :D

How's the Zumo performing in Thailand btw dave_boo? I was consider the Zumo 550 but it's really overpriced here in Thailand. >40k baht including the maps from the mapping company who sells them here, so that was another OMG, so I would like to check up with some users to see how well it performs...

Well the pee-wee legue seems to be coming up for a visit, so be prepared for some really unserious people around :D

How's the Zumo performing in Thailand btw dave_boo? I was consider the Zumo 550 but it's really overpriced here in Thailand. >40k baht including the maps from the mapping company who sells them here, so that was another OMG, so I would like to check up with some users to see how well it performs...

I really like the performance. I bought mine off of ebay and it flew into the country with me. Ended up paying ~800 USD. Maps were some 7 000 THB. It's pretty quick for locking onto satellites, although in parking garages it can't get a signal and you have to tell it to retry. If you don't choose the retry button, it will automatically not retry and just give you the last map without tracking. All the streets that I travel on are on there, and I live out in the sticks. Another negative is there's what appears to be a full street that continues past Huai Khai Khaeng (although it appears the same way in Google Earth, so...) but I've been down that 'street' and it's nothing more than a really poorly maintained fire road in the woods.

The GPS also automatically resizes the displayed map (like instead of 200 meters per cm it goes up to 500) depending on speed. VERY helpful. The ability to lock it with just being at home co-ordinates to unlock is a plus; saves having to enter a pin. Bluetooth allows phone connections with the call being displayed on the screen. However, not having Thai language loaded limits the number of caller IDs that my wife's phone can display when someone calls. Another minus is the volume of the speaker built into the car mounting unit. Or rather the lack thereof. However, the microphone is rather good, and thus allows hands free operation of the phone. Also, it has an SD slot, so a memory card with music can be loaded and streamed to a bluetooth headset.

Biggest problem I have with it is convincing the wife that yes, she can trust it!

We have room out on the sala, next to the klong, for visiting firemen and would-be minibike racers. :D I use the term minibike because that is what 250 and 150 bikes are considered in the West, kid's learner bikes. I saw a 250 Aprilia in Houston and thought it was a pit bike. :D Here it is fun to compare a CBR150 to a Ninja 250 or a Yamaha 135. We are in the pee-wee league.

If you think that you're going to get me to dress up as a fireman and fullfil some type of fetish....well how much gin do you have to loosen me up? :o

I don't think that I would be able to take you up on your generous offer, unless you want to listen to a nine month old child. However, I'll volunteer the wife to cook a meal for all of us, and I'd even get one going if everyone's up for good mid-western US food.

Nothing wrong with pocket rockets, I had a friend who had an Aprilia 125 (or was it a 150?) two stroke. Little sucker could keep up with most of the bikes around if he kept it in the sweet zone. However, he also had to ride the clutch like something else coming from a stop sign/red light or it would stall out.

dave bo, have you used your GPS to calculate your speedometer and odometer errors?

Added: by 'visiting firemen' that does not mean you have to dress up like a member of the Village People, although that would be cute.

At 140 there's, according to my memory, a 12 kph drift.

Hi All!

I know this is off topic, but as you were discussing GPS units above...

Can you tell me if the Garmin Zumo is water proof, or at least water resistant?

I've decided I definitely need a GPS, but I'd hate to kill it by riding in the rain. What do you do to protect your GPS from the elements?

Thanks for your help!

As LivinLOS stated, it's water resistant. Rbberized all the way around. All connectors are tucked up and out of the way.

I checked with ESRI Thailand who is also the provider of the most accurate maps over Thailand, they do it all for the Gov't and they supply the Zumo 550 including maps and free lifetime update on Thai maps for 41.100,- Baht including VAT. Expensive... Yes absolutely I am still considering it, anyway it is waterproof down to 1 meter for 30 minutes, and comes with the MC and Car mounting kit. It is very very very nice and I would love it, but I burnt enough on bike for a while, so its now my list for Christmas gift from Santa Claus... You can contact ESRI as per description in attached file.

Happy riding everyone. :o

post-60239-1221192491_thumb.jpg