Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean you can't distinguish?. They are your friends/family a totally different situation. If someone didn't know you and called you something inappropriate (displaying their ignorance and their lack of social skill or grace) would that be OK? On second thought, for you it may be.

Unlike a lot of posters here, I have neither an inferiority complex nor feelings of inadequacy. It's all water off a duck's back.

For example I was up-country once and some bloke wanted some money from me for beer, and so he approaches me and asks "You, farang have song roi baht?". This I found incredibly rude as considering he was asking me for money the very least that he could do was to call me by name or at least make an effort to know my name.

'Some bloke', implying that you did not know him, wants some money and he has to ask you your name and then call you by name??? Is that a joke? Have you ever thought about having your name tattooed on your forehead?

Edited by mr_hippo

Last weekend, I was asked to teach an intensive course to 4th year, university Sociolgy Students.

I taught them about describing one's ethnicity but first asked them to fill in a group questionaire as to what was polite to say in Thailand.

I found the results interesting but actually thought as much:-

1 - Black - polite

2 - Kaek(Indian) - impolite

3 - Jaek (Chinese) - impolite

4 - Farang - impolite

PLease don't embarass yourselves by calling yourself a farang.

So a straw pole of an undefined group of "4th year sociology students" is enough to define the language usage of a word that is used 1000s of times every day for decades?

what kind of a teacher ARE you?

Edited by kedawi

I have never tried it. What happens?

Actually, I'd like to know English language insults for Thai people. Anyone know any?

Jeff

Well just refer to a thai person as thai: "Hey Thai - come here" Interesting reaction... :o

Not recomended

In an English Language context the usual insulting term is "Thais" or "the Thais" or "a Thai" as if this is some sub-division of the human race.

Yank Brit Limey Paddy etc ....all have a "them" sub-meaning as in "Us and Them" a group definition with derogatory undertones.

If you address someone in the West, and you don't know their name, you say 'sir' or 'friend' or 'Ms' or 'Madame' You don't say: "Hey Paki, were you come from? Oh Pakistan, right!" We don't say Chink, chuckker, kite, spic, beaner, or other more derogatory words. We address the person not the ethnicity. And if the word farang does mean 'caucasian' we don't say that either.

I think using the term 'farang, is a sign of cultural insensitivity or no education or both. Saying that man or that woman would be an improvement, in terms of politeness...

gig gaddai

n......... o

how can i be yr gig since i'm P'thniner's gig??

LMAO

P.S. Thithi is looking at RukJungTorlae vs teacup

Am Totally lost now :D

this thread is stressful what u think?

I concur

It was the highlight of my day. Now im going to take a snooze :o .

me2 :D

but U2 still owe me a house! :D

gig gaddai

n......... o

how can i be yr gig since i'm P'thniner's gig??

LMAO

P.S. Thithi is looking at RukJungTorlae vs teacup

Am Totally lost now :D

this thread is stressful what u think?

I concur

It was the highlight of my day. Now im going to take a snooze :o .

me2 :D

but U2 still owe me a house! :D

a house! would a small studio apartment on or near ekkamai do?

If you address someone in the West, and you don't know their name, you say 'sir' or 'friend' or 'Ms' or 'Madame' You don't say: "Hey Paki, were you come from? Oh Pakistan, right!" We don't say Chink, chuckker, kite, spic, beaner, or other more derogatory words. We address the person not the ethnicity. And if the word farang does mean 'caucasian' we don't say that either.

I think using the term 'farang, is a sign of cultural insensitivity or no education or both. Saying that man or that woman would be an improvement, in terms of politeness...

I don't know your nationality or where you live. As I look around me, I can see cars with Thai licence plates, banana tress, notices, newspapers and magazines in Thai and people speaking Thai, now guess where I am. Yes, give that man a cigar, I am in Thailand. You start with "If you address someone in the West...", but you are not in the West so Thai values/standards operate here and not Western values/standards.

Edited by mr_hippo

I don't know your nationality or where you live. As I look around me, I can see cars with Thai licence plates, banana tress, notices, newspapers and magazines in Thai and people speaking Thai, now guess where I am. Yes, give that man a cigar, I am in Thailand. You start with "If you address someone in the West...", but you are not in the West so Thai values/standards operate here and not Western values/standards.

couldnt agree more..

and using Farang word doesnt mean No education.

cant u handle that

i know it's rude

but u r in my Undeveloped country, Sir.

couldnt agree more..

and using Farang word doesnt mean No education.

cant u handle that

i know it's rude

but u r in my Undeveloped country, Sir.

Just when I thought this thread had some hope, thithi, did you drop a coin recently?

she would say NOT ok...

and stay away from that cute girl , James!

ei ei ei

cute girl? to whom you refer? Anyways, James and stay away from that cute girl should never be used in the same sentence.

errr... i dnt know to whome i refered to

i am now in the class

i'm blur blur mer mer slurp slurp

:o:D:D

Good Lord, how difficult can it be?

Farang: Collective noun used to describe someone of caucasian appearance.

Thai: Collective noun used to describe a citizen of Thailand.

You don't see the Thais getting bent out of shape every time they are referred to as Kon Thai. Why do Kon Farang have to have such a big chip on their shoulder about this.

JJ

my english is undeveloped

Your English is uneducated.. and if you still use the word "farang" then so is your Thai.

Okkkk

sollieee misterrr... it's all my badddddd that i'm not born to be a native English Speaker or a westernerrrrr...

but still pround enough to be a Thai...

Thanks bkkjames ... but how do u knw that !!! actually i'm 40 with a 3-year-old brain

Edited by thithi

The difference is that Thai is not based on skin colour.

You can be white skinned and Thai, dark skinned and Thai etc.

Farang only denotes a white skinned person of European appearance.

British/American/Australian do not denote skin colour do they?

It's a racist term used by uneducated morons.

Good Lord, how difficult can it be?

Farang: Collective noun used to describe someone of caucasian appearance.

Thai: Collective noun used to describe a citizen of Thailand.

You don't see the Thais getting bent out of shape every time they are referred to as Kon Thai. Why do Kon Farang have to have such a big chip on their shoulder about this.

JJ

Because there ace, I am a Canadian, call me Kon Canadian. DO you think Thais would like to be called Kon Asian, Kon Oriental etc etc. No, they would be upset.