Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of the word FARANG is just BACKWARDS.

30 years in the US, most people called people of Asian descent ORIENTALS.

Many people still do, they are considered clueless.

Now the general word is ASIANS. And once you know more, you get more specific: Thai, Chinese-American, Filipino, etc.

Thailand is still at the ORIENTALS phase. How quaint.

Exactly, and it won't get out of this phase if white foriegners continue to call themselves farang.

The problem comes from most "foriegners" lack of ability in Thai so they are basically clueless to their being insulted and Thai people taking the mickey.

I spoke to an Indian woman today about being called "kaek" and she said that it was definately an insult but 20 years ago it was fine.

Mark my words in 10 years time many people here will have changed their tune.

Mostly like you first mate. I would put money on it but it's not allowed here, even by us farangs. :o

I don't see why not, goo and meung (forgive the phonetics), were acceptable years ago but now it is only used up country and by teens here and considered rude here in the city.

Words Goo & Meung also being use among close friends as well. It isnt rude if they agree on and its show how close you and your friends are.

I don't see why not, goo and meung (forgive the phonetics), were acceptable years ago but now it is only used up country and by teens here and considered rude here in the city.

Words Goo & Meung also being use among close friends as well. It isnt rude if they agree on and its show how close you and your friends are.

Agreed, same with farang, no?

Agreed, same with farang, no?

I said if you agree on it but if you dont like to be call farang then tell ppl your name or whatever you want to be called, isnt that easy ?

Good morning :o

Yes its morning here in NL.

Keep up on 'farang"

How can some (almost nice) person here call Thai woman hooker ? and compare to the word we call (insult) them "farang"

Agree with Thithi that the word hooker is so much worse to call we that...and if you can compare Thai woman as a hooker then I would call you "f***ker" it would be similar word

If anyone who dont like the "farang" word then tell people your name / nationality and how you like to be calls.

A stupid unworkable idea.

If westeners did that it would take up far too much time.

Most here would agree that the word is OK if used correcly not as a negative like it often is . The problem is the word is used in every situation in every context and often it is used inappropriately. There are many words that Thais could use to talk to/about/with a westener.

Yes sometimes Farang is perpectly apt, but just as often it is not, it's used in a derogitory/negative/racist way. This point has been brought up time and time again, but some Thais just don't want to understand, or they don't have sufficient intellegence, or have their racism so ingrained to be unable to understand this important distinction in the use of the word appropriately.

Keep up on 'farang"

How can some (almost nice) person here call Thai woman hooker ? and compare to the word we call (insult) them "farang"

Agree with Thithi that the word hooker is so much worse to call we that...and if you can compare Thai woman as a hooker then I would call you "f***ker" it would be similar word

If anyone who dont like the "farang" word then tell people your name / nationality and how you like to be calls.

Most here would agree that the word is OK if used correcly not as a negative like it often is . The problem is the word is used in every situation in every context and often it is used inappropriately. There are many words that Thais could use to talk to/about/with a westener.

Yes sometimes Farang is perpectly apt, but just as often it is not, it's used in a derogitory/negative/racist way. This point has been brought up time and time again, but some Thais just don't want to understand, or they don't have sufficient intellegence, or have their racism so ingrained to be unable to understand this important distinction in the use of the word appropriately.

I mean if you comepare the word farang and to call Thai woman hooker only then I would call you f***ker.

Keep up on 'farang"

I mean if you comepare the word farang and to call Thai woman hooker only then I would call you f***ker.

I was referring to your last sentence beginning with the words "If anyone who..." Not the rest of your tripe.

You guys are just like the ENERGIZING bunnies….on and on…on …on…

I bet…. you all will have white hair and more wrinkles, by the time this is over and done with!!!

And still we might be back to the “square one” again until …may be next month? When this ritual dance starts yet...all over again :o

I bet…. you all will have white hair and more wrinkles, by the time this is over and done with!!!

And still we might be back to the “square one” again until …may be next month? When this ritual dance starts yet...all over again :o

You Orientals are so inscrutable!

Keep up on 'farang"

I was referring to your last sentence beginning with the words "If anyone who..." Not the rest of your tripe.

Oh ok then, at least I know my sugession was unworkable. Quiet simple though, but for millions population in Thailand not to call "farang" is more unworkable !

By the way howmany foreigners who dont like to be calls "farang" ?

I'm not upset being called as a hooker, bcos i'm NOT. And i dnt care what people say or think about me.

as long as they are not willing to kill me or something.

I can deal with - "Thai girls are hookers" ...

i cant stop them to think like that

Farang is not as rude as hooker.

Farang is just an usual word. unlike hooker

Do i still have to teach u english ?

U call every thais u met as hookers?

I'd suggest u to call us as s*lut much better!

You are obviously not very good at thinking about things.

You said "farang" can be used positively but many of us object to it and think it is negative in meaning. That should be enough for you to understand how we feel and stop using it but you don't and continue to use it.

I used the word "hooker" to illustrate the way that we can generalize and how it is done in a very negative way and YOU took great offence to it. This shows what a hypocritical attitude you have.

Can you not understand that some of us don't like this word???? Is your brain so fixed and small that you cannot understand that some of us object to be called this word and that we find it offensive?

Can't you understand that people don't need to divide the human race into categories and that in the end we are all people not farangs, niggers, wops, gringos, chinks etc

OK, you don't like this word. You would like people to stop using this word when referring to you.

How about when Thai people refer to the burger and fries you're eating, farang food. You are eating farang food, does that offend you ? How would you like Thai people to refer to western food ? Invent a new word ?

There are many things in Thai which use the word "farang" because they were introduced to Thailand by "farangs", such as potato - man farang, parsley - chii farang, bubblegum - mak farang, to name a few. New words for these ?

Would you like the 60 million or so people of Thailand to stop using a word that has been in their language for 100's of years because a few farang get their knickers in a twist because they "don't like the word".

Farang are sometimes referred to "farang ngo - stupid farang" because of stupids thing they do when they're in Thailand.

"farang ngo" just about sums up this thread.

And still we might be back to the “square one” again until …may be next month? When this ritual dance starts yet...all over again :D

You Orientals are so inscrutable!

inscrutable!

I hate it when you use big word

Ok let me go and look it up first

Be back :o

Alot of do find it annoying, at least sometimes. It isn't worth getting upset over, not much we can do.

Anyway, how about this for another idea? How about we decide to stop calling Thai people Thais or khon Thai but start calling them Oriental or khon Oriental? And I mean with a thick Thai accent, as in:

hey you OR EEE ENT TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

When a bunch of us are having a European meal, every time we see a Thai (which would be alot) we say ORIENTAL. Instead of Thai food, its ORIENTAL food. Thai culture? ORIENTAL culture. This might be fun!

If most of us starting doing this, all the time, do you think at the very least some of the brighter Thais may begin to understand how we feel? Might some of them angrily tell us: YOU ARE A STUPID FARANG, WE ARE THAI! Now wouldn't that be hilarious?

Or is that an overly optimistic estimation of the inscrutible ORIENTAL culture?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not upset being called as a hooker, bcos i'm NOT. And i dnt care what people say or think about me.

as long as they are not willing to kill me or something.

I can deal with - "Thai girls are hookers" ...

i cant stop them to think like that

Farang is not as rude as hooker.

Farang is just an usual word. unlike hooker

Do i still have to teach u english ?

U call every thais u met as hookers?

I'd suggest u to call us as s*lut much better!

You are obviously not very good at thinking about things.

You said "farang" can be used positively but many of us object to it and think it is negative in meaning. That should be enough for you to understand how we feel and stop using it but you don't and continue to use it.

I used the word "hooker" to illustrate the way that we can generalize and how it is done in a very negative way and YOU took great offence to it. This shows what a hypocritical attitude you have.

Can you not understand that some of us don't like this word???? Is your brain so fixed and small that you cannot understand that some of us object to be called this word and that we find it offensive?

Can't you understand that people don't need to divide the human race into categories and that in the end we are all people not farangs, niggers, wops, gringos, chinks etc

OK, you don't like this word. You would like people to stop using this word when referring to you.

How about when Thai people refer to the burger and fries you're eating, farang food. You are eating farang food, does that offend you ? How would you like Thai people to refer to western food ? Invent a new word ?

There are many things in Thai which use the word "farang" because they were introduced to Thailand by "farangs", such as potato - man farang, parsley - chii farang, bubblegum - mak farang, to name a few. New words for these ?

Would you like the 60 million or so people of Thailand to stop using a word that has been in their language for 100's of years because a few farang get their knickers in a twist because they "don't like the word".

Farang are sometimes referred to "farang ngo - stupid farang" because of stupids thing they do when they're in Thailand.

"farang ngo" just about sums up this thread.

Thxx, think my job is done now :o

Burgers served with fries are American food.

Pizza is Italian food.

Is pad Thai ORIENTAL food?

Is dim sum Chinese food or ORIENTAL food?

Matching foods to nationalities is not rocket science. Are you saying Thais are stupid? I hope not.

You don't have to invent a new word. You just have to turn on your BRAIN.

Anyone care to join the new linguistic movement I have just started? Call everything Thai ORIENTAL????

If you can't beat em (we can't!) maybe we should JOIN THEM? The ORIENTALS, I mean ...

To the ORIENTALS who are posting on this topic (welcome!) how does that make you feel? To be called ORIENTAL rather than Thai when we all bloody well know you are Thai, that we are eating Thai food, that we are in Thailand? Don't hold back or be polite as we do understand is part of your ORIENTAL culture.

Don't get me wrong. I love ORIENTALS and I love ORIENTALLAND!

By the way, how do you feel about that Oriental criminal Thaksin and his old ORIENTALS LOVE ORIENTALS party?

Edited by Jingthing

All words can be used negatively or positively.

Why don't you complain to CNN? CNN talk about African Americans, Hispanic Americans when they are all Americans - no more, no less! The world is full of different groups and will never be a 'one size fits all' place.

Last weekend, I was asked to teach an intensive course to 4th year, university Sociolgy Students.

I taught them about describing one's ethnicity but first asked them to fill in a group questionaire as to what was polite to say in Thailand.

I found the results interesting but actually thought as much:-

1 - Black - polite

2 - Kaek(Indian) - impolite

3 - Jaek (Chinese) - impolite

4 - Farang - impolite

PLease don't embarass yourselves by calling yourself a farang.

To call myself "BLACK" would be a disgrace- forget polite or impolite

Look, if they orientals want to call us farangs, they are going to call us farangs. When in the Orient, do as the Orientals do! I am getting hungry now, must go out for some oriental tom yum goong, those orientals sure can eat spicy food!

Edited by Jingthing

OK so now we all know we can lump everything related to Thais and Thailand into one simple phrase and it won't matter what it is because there is not bad intent in the words we use. Glad we cleared that up.

From now on we will refer to Thais as orientals or maybe we should call them Lao or Cambodians just because we can't be bothered to be more accurate or more appropriate. What about "rice monkeys" or "noodle <deleted>", would these all be nice words to use?

In time you'll be ashamed you ever used the word farang....

So it's ok if we still use the word "nigger" then too? That's an old word too. What about "golliwog", that's also quite an old word. I find your argument weak and shallow that you can condone the use of a certain epithet just because it is old....

Edited by haltes

I think this CALL THEM ORIENTALS movement has legs!

I am serious. It is just as IGNORANT as ORIENTALS calling us FARANGS.

Isn't turnabout fair play?

ORIENTAL is a mildly offensive word of ignorance just like FARANG, so it is perfect!

Get on board, and give those ORIENTALS a taste of their own ORIENTAL medicine. If it isn't offensive, how can us calling them ORIENTALS be offensive? Or, is it?????????????

Edited by Jingthing

Burgers served with fries are American food.

Pizza is Italian food.

Is pad Thai ORIENTAL food?

Is dim sum Chinese food or ORIENTAL food?

Matching foods to nationalities is not rocket science. Are you saying Thais are stupid? I hope not.

You don't have to invent a new word. You just have to turn on your BRAIN.

Anyone care to join the new linguistic movement I have just started? Call everything Thai ORIENTAL????

If you can't beat em (we can't!) maybe we should JOIN THEM? The ORIENTALS, I mean ...

To the ORIENTALS who are posting on this topic (welcome!) how does that make you feel? To be called ORIENTAL rather than Thai when we all bloody well know you are Thai, that we are eating Thai food, that we are in Thailand? Don't hold back or be polite as we do understand is part of your ORIENTAL culture.

Don't get me wrong. I love ORIENTALS and I love ORIENTALLAND!

By the way, how do you feel about that Oriental criminal Thaksin and his old ORIENTALS LOVE ORIENTALS party?

I like it thought, but not really use to it or when somebody call me Oreintal I may not answer or turning to see the calling. Im Thai living in Europe, people here dont really know calls me Asian/tan/yellow/brown whatever I dont complian at all..too easy huh ?

By the way I hate Toxin and his @ss's licker - Samak and those corrupts govt, doesnt mean im support protesters..abit selfish though, they not effect me much here but the family there in Thailand. They have to live wiht it and waiting for one day they'll have govt who they like and not a crooks !!

my more educated and polite Thai friends never use the word farang. They usually call a non-Thai a foreigner. The high school drop-outs of Issan know of any other owrd except "Farang" to describe a non-Thai & care nought if such may have a negative connotation.

What have you got aginst Isarn people? There ae a lot more drop-outs in Bangkok.

Actually it's usually the Chinese Thai in Bangkok that are the most rascist.

GEEZ I HATE THE RACISM so prevalent in Thailand...light skinned this, 100% Thai that Isaan bad this... Thais are the minority in Siam. I prefer Isaan people because of the more simplified and pure hearts versus this "I'm educated therefore I'm high" BS. In different regions it means different things. Most Isaan people use the word to describe a generic Caucasian where the Thais (it appears to me) may opt to use it in an impolite sense more often. Just my observations....I see far fewer Isaan people impolite by choice versus Thai (good example above).

I don't like the word Farang myself but I'm not fluent in Thai so I don't sweat it. Regarding this attitude south and north...I did see enough prejudice to vow not to associate or do business with those individuals. Maybe dropping out of a Thai school may be better for city Thais?

Edited by HYENA

I like it thought, but not really use to it or when somebody call me Oreintal I may not answer or turning to see the calling. Im Thai living in Europe, people here dont really know calls me Asian/tan/yellow/brown whatever I dont complian at all..too easy huh ?

By the way I hate Toxin and his @ss's licker - Samak and those corrupts govt, doesnt mean im support protesters..abit selfish though, they not effect me much here but the family there in Thailand. They have to live wiht it and waiting for one day they'll have govt who they like and not a crooks !!

They'll never get rid of corruption as long as the officials from the very top all the way down to the police and the hotel manager are corrupt. It is so deep seeded, I don't see corruption changing for another 1000 years there. Once it starts, it never really goes away. All they do is change the entire constitution if they don't like it. I'd bet on same stuff different decade for Siam (unfortunately).