Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think this CALL THEM ORIENTALS movement has legs!

I am serious. It is just as IGNORANT as ORIENTALS calling us FARANGS.

Isn't turnabout fair play?

ORIENTAL is a mildly offensive word of ignorance just like FARANG, so it is perfect!

Get on board, and give those ORIENTALS a taste of their own ORIENTAL medicine. If it isn't offensive, how can us calling them ORIENTALS be offensive? Or, is it?????????????

Oriental carpets aren't impolite.

I believe the Buddhist philosophy many live by would differ with fight fire with fire. One can gain far more by opting to use honey.

We're all individuals. I'm a honkey and that's how I was made. If someone is impolite, they have to live with it, not me. I have my own life... I think energy spent addressing the inner Thailand racism is a nastier problem that hurts many good people (like America 120 years ago). Farang's lives as a whole are head and shoulders above the lives of many in LOS....how much, really does a little word hurt me? I may not like it but some are simple, others may be rude. Until I know their motive, I may react wrong or hurt an innocent person by answering name calling with name calling. Many like the word Cowboy...but believe me, it can be a slur in some parts.

Call me Farang? I can go back home, they can't get out. We're all people, through no fault of our own, born into a specific ethnicity or color, country causing higher/lower treatment. I believe the overt, disgusting problem seen daily in Siam is the overt racism. Call me farang or honkey all day long. It's not easy seeking good hearted people who are poor and seeking a job, experiencing prejudice and having to fight every day just to exist, maybe to help their family...(it's hard to understand how it may feel on the receiving end...but one thing that opened my eyes to the pain was seeing it done to a loved one).

Edited by HYENA

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this CALL THEM ORIENTALS movement has legs!

I am serious. It is just as IGNORANT as ORIENTALS calling us FARANGS.

Isn't turnabout fair play?

ORIENTAL is a mildly offensive word of ignorance just like FARANG, so it is perfect!

Get on board, and give those ORIENTALS a taste of their own ORIENTAL medicine. If it isn't offensive, how can us calling them ORIENTALS be offensive? Or, is it?????????????

Oriental carpets aren't impolite.

I believe the Buddhist philosophy many live by would differ with fight fire with fire. One can gain far more by opting to use honey.

We're all individuals. I'm a honkey and that's how I was made. If someone is impolite, they have to live with it, not me. I have my own life... I think energy spent addressing the inner Thailand racism is a nastier problem that hurts many good people (like America 120 years ago). Farang's lives as a whole are head and shoulders above the lives of many in LOS....how much, really does a little word hurt me? I may not like it but some are simple, others may be rude. Until I know their motive, I may react wrong or hurt an innocent person by answering name calling with name calling. Many like the word Cowboy...but believe me, it can be a slur in some parts.

Call me Farang? I can go back home, they can't get out. We're all people, through no fault of our own, born into a specific ethnicity or color, country causing higher/lower treatment. I believe the overt, disgusting problem seen daily in Siam is the overt racism. Call me farang or honkey all day long. It's not easy seeking good hearted people who are poor and seeking a job, experiencing prejudice and having to fight every day just to exist, maybe to help their family...(it's hard to understand how it may feel on the receiving end...but one thing that opened my eyes was seeing it done to a loved one).

Nothing wrong with the word cowboy ( I think I read that somewhere in your post). In fact, used a correct manner it could be a compliment...

Go gett em cowboy

Wooah cowboy

Ride me like a cow - boy

Meet me at Soi Cowboy

and so on.

Same with the word farang I suspect...

Is that a farang in your pocket or are you just happy to see me

How many farang does it take to screw in a light bulb

In farang we trust

Confucious say, farang and mouse alike, both end up in pus*y

and so on.

Good morning :o

Yes its morning here in NL.

Keep up on 'farang"

How can some (almost nice) person here call Thai woman hooker ? and compare to the word we call (insult) them "farang"

Agree with Thithi that the word hooker is so much worse to call we that...and if you can compare Thai woman as a hooker then I would call you "f***ker" it would be similar word

If anyone who dont like the "farang" word then tell people your name / nationality and how you like to be calls.

A stupid unworkable idea.

If westeners did that it would take up far too much time.

Most here would agree that the word is OK if used correcly not as a negative like it often is . The problem is the word is used in every situation in every context and often it is used inappropriately. There are many words that Thais could use to talk to/about/with a westener.

Yes sometimes Farang is perpectly apt, but just as often it is not, it's used in a derogitory/negative/racist way. This point has been brought up time and time again, but some Thais just don't want to understand, or they don't have sufficient intellegence, or have their racism so ingrained to be unable to understand this important distinction in the use of the word appropriately.

REMEMBER many are inserting THEIR cultures and values upon another's. Whether it's "proper or polite"?...it's their culture, they do it...some like farangs some don't. Who are we to say what is correct or incorrect unless we speak the language and FULLY understand the culture? Many Thais have said here it's OK but I also understand the country folk may use it out of ease, meaning no harm while city folk may opt for a slur. All up to the individual. Earn respect and you'll get it.

Note to self - earn respect then when someone calls me a farang I won't be upset. Got it..thanks and have a nice weekend :o

It is a fact that Thais respect people who can keep their cool despite provocation.

I have also seen some mischievous Thais deliberately trying to get a rise out of someone just to see if they can get them wound up. But believe me if you can stay cool despite provocation you WILL gain respect in the eyes of Thais.

JJ.

I have also seen some mischievous Thais deliberately trying to get a rise out of someone just to see if they can get them wound up. But believe me if you can stay cool despite provocation you WILL gain respect in the eyes of Thais.

This is what I like to do sometimes...always good for a laugh.

Incidentally, the feeling of being "offended" is not created by the "offender". It is created by the person who has DECIDED to be offended.

I'm not going back to quote the poster who questioned the tern gai-gin but as someone who lived in Japan, worked in Japan and had a Japanese wife I reckon I've enough knowledge under my belt to know how it is used in normal society and also amongst the japanese when by themselves.

The problem with the word farang is that whilst I will admit it is used as descriptive in the sense of a certain type of non Thai, it is also used in a derogative fashion. Now in the boonies amongst those westerners who have "gone native" to prove how much they love Thailand then they may have lost the plot and think that it is ok and not realise that it is also used negatively. Then again, they call their house a "farnag house" and they eat "farang food". Do you call your house in the UK a "farang house" or do you eat "farang food", <deleted> do you. It is a western / English house and western / english food. Thai food is called Thai food in the UK and in LOS, as is a Thai style house. Not derogatory in any way.

I liked the comment about "farang know too much" or should that be "too mutt" ? Often used when someone, a westerner, gets to grips with some of the Thai ways and like the bloody masons the Thais see it as bad that anyone except them should be allowed to understand their ways or what they are thinking. Short sighted in the extreme.

Now I live in the countryside and in the city so I know both ends but if you go to a tourist area then the word farang is almost interchangeable with any one of the following: idiot, someone we can rip off, arsehol_e, unwanted except for their money, ATM and suchlike. Please tell me where the positive is in any of them ?

To me, the use of farang by westerners is merely an attempt to speak Thai which shows their true ignorance just as the ridiculous wais they do. Many years ago it was taught to me in Japan that rather than make an arse of yourself by bowing incorrectly because you just don't know how to do it, you should just do nothing except perhaps a facial sign of respect. many westerners should stop embarassing themselves by thinking that they reall do know "too mutt" when they really know next to bugger all.

wot? 19 pages.. where theres smoke theres fire..

I think farang is yet another habit of the uneducated masses that make up most of this country. All you who dont think its negative probably sit around the pub back home talking bout them dam_n pakis, gooks, slants whatever.

I only go postal when its english speaking thais that use the word. They can just say foreingers. Recently a i met an indian-thai with perfect english who would go on and on about "farangs", even if im sure he knew the word "foreigner". He tried to sell something, but i told him i was in a curry and had to go.

To me, the use of farang by westerners is merely an attempt to speak Thai which shows their true ignorance just as the ridiculous wais they do. Many years ago it was taught to me in Japan that rather than make an arse of yourself by bowing incorrectly because you just don't know how to do it, you should just do nothing except perhaps a facial sign of respect. many westerners should stop embarassing themselves by thinking that they reall do know "too mutt" when they really know next to bugger all.

fo sho brotha, if mohammed cant come to the mountain let the mountain come to mohammed.

Anyone care to join the new linguistic movement I have just started? Call everything Thai ORIENTAL????

If you can't beat em (we can't!) maybe we should JOIN THEM? The ORIENTALS, I mean ...

To the ORIENTALS who are posting on this topic (welcome!) how does that make you feel? To be called ORIENTAL rather than Thai when we all bloody well know you are Thai, that we are eating Thai food, that we are in Thailand? Don't hold back or be polite as we do understand is part of your ORIENTAL culture.

I'm with you! Great idea. It's about time we stood up for ourselves.

Anyone care to join the new linguistic movement I have just started? Call everything Thai ORIENTAL????

If you can't beat em (we can't!) maybe we should JOIN THEM? The ORIENTALS, I mean ...

To the ORIENTALS who are posting on this topic (welcome!) how does that make you feel? To be called ORIENTAL rather than Thai when we all bloody well know you are Thai, that we are eating Thai food, that we are in Thailand? Don't hold back or be polite as we do understand is part of your ORIENTAL culture.

"Sticks & stones"....again. Yawn :o

Thanks for the support. I do think this is a really good idea that actually has POWER.

We CANNOT change Thai behavior!

But we CAN change OUR behavior.

So, yes, ACCEPT that the Orientals here are going to call us farang even when they know better and know much more about us.

So, also yes, CONFORM to the local ORIENTAL culture, and call them ORIENTALS back. Its only fair.

I suggest as a first step, those who want to support this little movement, do not call Thais Thais in your posts here at orientalvisa.com! Call them ORIENTALS! It is really fun. And if enough people do this, for enough time, the concept will spread to the wider community of European descent people and make it to the street level.

This is not in any away anti-ORIENTAL! It is about fairness and CONFORMING to the oriental cultural standards, here in Orientalland!

Nothing wrong with the word cowboy ( I think I read that somewhere in your post). In fact, used a correct manner it could be a compliment...

Go gett em cowboy

Wooah cowboy

Ride me like a cow - boy

Meet me at Soi Cowboy

and so on.

Same with the word farang I suspect...

Is that a farang in your pocket or are you just happy to see me

How many farang does it take to screw in a light bulb

In farang we trust

Confucious say, farang and mouse alike, both end up in pus*y

and so on.

Unawareness doesn't mean slurs aren't there (I had to use a very popular, usually positive term to make my point) When used, it's akin to redneck (redneck is usually a slur but not so in some places now. Cowboy slurs (mountains states)in the gang settings (Utah-specifically across the tracks in 3 cities and some other mountain states poppulated suburbs-across the tracks), it would be like saying "hey countryf*ck" This is a good example of a little distance and a meaning could be different. Time passes and it's OK to say Hippie and Country Boy, GI, Spook (CIA worker), Nigga (not to be confused with Nigg*r)...all depends on whose saying it and where.

Up north, Isaan say farang and I smile and figure they're plotting something nice, figuring out how to ask for help or trying to do too much to make me feel comfortable; Thai say farang and I have my hand on my wallet, smile dissapears and paranoia sets in.

The only reason honkey doens't bother me is because in my country I feel more of a majority (security in race, opportunity, etc). In a place where it's not so, I can see how some falang don'et like the word (me included in many instances). If farang were easily accepted, never scammed then the word farang would be just fine (I suspect).

Edited by HYENA

Thanks for the support. I do think this is a really good idea that actually has POWER.

We CANNOT change Thai behavior!

But we CAN change OUR behavior.

So, yes, ACCEPT that the Orientals here are going to call us farang even when they know better and know much more about us.

So, also yes, CONFORM to the local ORIENTAL culture, and call them ORIENTALS back. Its only fair.

I suggest as a first step, those who want to support this little movement, do not call Thais Thais in your posts here at orientalvisa.com! Call them ORIENTALS! It is really fun. And if enough people do this, for enough time, the concept will spread to the wider community of European descent people and make it to the street level.

This is not in any away anti-ORIENTAL! It is about fairness and CONFORMING to the oriental cultural standards, here in Orientalland!

Yes JT, "name calling" can be fun but when it becomes a "movement", it is likened to a culture/religion/segregation technique. I don't think that segregation is the answer. I do think that tolerance IS part of the answer.

Revenge may seem sweet but attitudes like yours could be a catalyst for an ongoing problem. I cite Israel & Palestine as a reference.

I think that you have an axe to grind. I have no idea why you have such a feeling & I have no objections to you grinding your axe. My suggestion is that you grind your axe in such a way as to not make a religion/culture/following from it. Simply do it privately. Remember, every drop in the ocean accounts for something. You & I are two of those drops.

From a different point of view, trying to change people to suit your beliefs, is a fruitless exercise. I refer to the many dictators that exist. They may begin with good intentions but sooner or later, they are well hated.

If you really feel strongly about the "tipping" issue as well as the "name calling" issue, I would suggest that you take a more passive stance ie make comments to your hearts desire but in no way refer to starting "movements".

Edited by elkangorito

Yes JT, "name calling" can be fun but when it becomes a "movement", it is likened to a culture/religion/segregation technique. I don't think that segregation is the answer. I do think that tolerance IS part of the answer.

Who SAID anything about segregation! I love the Orientals and Orientalland! Is your middle name WET BLANKET? Frankly, if others don't see the beautiful logic behind the NAME THEM ORIENTALS movement and start doing it also, I will drop it. I disagree with you. Yes, one person can change the world but ONLY if lots of people are INFLUENCED by him or her. Clearly, you are not. Your choice, but I don't appreciate the WET BLANKET, I am not needful of warmth or moisture at the moment, Sir!

BTW, just because you have never wanted to start a "movement" and don't believe in following them, does it follow there is no social value in any of the movements, big and small, throughout history?

Edited by Jingthing

If a Thai calls you Farang, then just call them somchai, see how they like it. (Unless it is actually their name)

Better to call them ORIENTALS! You see Somchai is too Thai-specific and shows you 'tink too mutt' and actually KNOW what specific country you are in! Don't do that! You don't sound like fun at all. The Orientals do not value serious people like you who know too much. Much better to conform to the local custom of grouping everybody together (it is so much easier, you don't have to think, you don't have to know anything, you don't even have to care) such as how they call are European descent people FARANG, we need to CONFORM and call them ORIENTALS.

Now, the local Orientals may not YET know the word Oriental. Not to worry. We were able to learn the one Oriental word FARANG, I am sure the Orientals are capable of learning the word Oriental.

Also keep in mind: not to worry about being called FARANG. Do not be offended. This is just orientals being oriental. Why fight it or let it annoy you? You will be much happier if you blend in and adapt to the Oriental way.

Edited by Jingthing

Who SAID anything about segregation! I love the Orientals and Orientalland! Is your middle name WET BLANKET? Frankly, if others don't see the beautiful logic behind the NAME THEM ORIENTALS movement and start doing it also, I will drop it. I disagree with you. Yes, one person can change the world but ONLY if lots of people are INFLUENCED by him or her. Clearly, you are not. Your choice, but I don't appreciate the WET BLANKET, I am not needful of warmth or moisture at the moment, Sir!

BTW, just because you have never wanted to start a "movement" and don't believe in following them, does it follow there is no social value in any of the movements, big and small, throughout history?

You can call me what you want...I couldn't give a toss.

Incidentally, I didn't call you a wet blanket nor did I even infer that you were.

As for your "Frankly, if others don't see the beautiful logic behind the NAME THEM ORIENTALS movement and start doing it also, I will drop it" remark, you should drop it now.

BTW, how could you possibly know that I "never wanted to start a "movement"? And yes, there IS social value in following/supporting/starting WORTHWHILE movements. I feel that your "movement" is not worthwhile.

You seem incensed with trying to change things in Thailand very quickly. Why? Can't you simply change how you react to situations...or is that too difficult? Can't you be happy with the fact that your comments alone may assist "change" in this country, instead of trying to force the issue?

BTW, the creation of any "movement" automatically creates a divide or strengthens an existing divide. This therefore assists segregation. But not withstanding this, SOME movements are beneficial & in the long term, help to break down segregation barriers. Could you please explain how your movement would do such a thing?

Edited by elkangorito

Never said you called me a wet blanket. I called you one. The logic behind the CALL THEM ORIENTALS idea is that we cannot change what the Orientals do or say, but we can change what we do or say. We must accept the Oriental Way being here in the land of the Orientals. By CALLING THEM ORIENTALS (WHICH IS STUPID!!!! and stupid in EXACTLY the same way as the Orientals calling us farangs, THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF IT) we are using SATIRE AND IRONY to change the dynamic of the social situation between the Orientals and those of European descent in Thailand. Maybe you think it is OK for the Orientals to continue with their ignorant, backward naming conventions forever. Some of us might want to be CHANGE AGENTS. This is my interesting idea to be change agents. If it is not tried en masse, we will never know the effect. Doing nothing and eating being racially stereotyped will 100 percent do nothing.

I think your idea is DO NOTHING. Thats OK for you. For those who think it might at the very least be FUN to try SOMETHING, and you don't like the CALL THEM ORIENTALS idea, do you have a BETTER idea?

Edited by Jingthing

At the rate this discussion is going, it won't be long before "farang" is equal to "farang ngo muan khwai".

Is this the same 'khwai' as in 'khwai yai' ?

My comments in blue.

Never said you called me a wet blanket. I called you one. The logic behind the CALL THEM ORIENTALS idea is that we cannot change what the Orientals do or say, but we can change what we do or say. We must accept the Oriental Way being here in the land of the Orientals. By CALLING THEM ORIENTALS (WHICH IS STUPID!!!!) [it sure is stupid] we are using SATIRE AND IRONY to change the dynamic of the social situation between the Orientals and those of European descent in Thailand. Only you perceive this use of "satire & irony" so far.

Somehow, I don't see your posts on this subject as being satirical or ironic. I do see an "obsession" in your posts. Unfortunately, your obsession seems quite on the offensive side of things (opposite to "defensive").

Maybe you think it is OK for the Orientals to continue with their ignorant, backward naming conventions forever. Why can't you ignore them? Some of us might want to be CHANGE AGENTS. Unfortunately, your idea of "change" is to suddenly & swiftly reduce/eliminate all things that YOU deem to be inappropriate. This is my interesting idea to be change agents. If it is not tried en masse, (movement?) we will never know the effect. Doing nothing and eating being racially stereotyped will 100 percent do nothing. The effect will be quite obvious if you have your way. Again, I cite Israel & Palestine...a never ending war.

I think your idea is DO NOTHING. Really? You obviously don't read my posts on other threads. Thats OK for you. For those who think it might at the very least be FUN to try SOMETHING, and you don't like the CALL THEM ORIENTALS idea, do you have a BETTER idea?

My much better idea (repeated) is to simply ignore any perceived derogatory remarks. If you decide to react to an external influence (a "name" for example), you have simply indicated to the name caller exactly what buttons they should push to elicit a prescribed reaction from you. Ergo, you are being controlled by them BECAUSE YOU CHOOSE TO BE. And now you wish to create a movement to prevent "name calling"? Do you know how "juvenile" this sounds? Are you not an adult, who can tolerate simple "name calling"? Were you not told as a child that those who call you names were lacking "something" & if you bought into their comments, you would be supplying them with ammunition?

Geez JT, leave Thailand & go on a "holiday"...preferably somewhere in the worst part of Africa. You may return to Thailand with a little more tolerance.

Further, would you consider the words "poof", "poofter", "fag", "faggot", "pillow biter" etc to be offensive?

Edited by elkangorito

At the rate this discussion is going, it won't be long before "farang" is equal to "farang ngo muan khwai".

Is this the same 'khwai' as in 'khwai yai' ?

If you're talking about a large Oriental buffalo, yes. However I feel you are talking about something else which, in that case, no it is not the same :o

My comments in blue.
Never said you called me a wet blanket. I called you one. The logic behind the CALL THEM ORIENTALS idea is that we cannot change what the Orientals do or say, but we can change what we do or say. We must accept the Oriental Way being here in the land of the Orientals. By CALLING THEM ORIENTALS (WHICH IS STUPID!!!!) [it sure is stupid] we are using SATIRE AND IRONY to change the dynamic of the social situation between the Orientals and those of European descent in Thailand. Only you peceive to be using this "satire & irony" so far.

Somehow, I don't see your posts on this subject as being satirical or ironic. I do see an "obsession" in your posts. Unfortunately, your obsession seems quite on the offensive side of things (opposite to "defensive").

Maybe you think it is OK for the Orientals to continue with their ignorant, backward naming conventions forever. Why can't you ignore them? Some of us might want to be CHANGE AGENTS. Unfortunately, your idea of "change" is to suddenly & swiftly reduce/eliminate all things that YOU deem to be inappropriate. This is my interesting idea to be change agents. If it is not tried en masse, (movement?) we will never know the effect. Doing nothing and eating being racially stereotyped will 100 percent do nothing. The effect will be quite obvious if you have your way. Again, I cite Israel & Palestine...a never ending war.

I think your idea is DO NOTHING. Really? You obviously don't read my posts on other threads. Thats OK for you. For those who think it might at the very least be FUN to try SOMETHING, and you don't like the CALL THEM ORIENTALS idea, do you have a BETTER idea?

My much better idea (repeated) is to simply ignore any perceived derogatory remarks. If you decide to react to an external influence (a "name" for example), you have simply indicated to the name caller exactly what buttons they should push to elicit a prescribed reaction from you. Ergo, you are being controlled by them BECAUSE YOU CHOOSE TO BE. And now you wish to create a movement to prevent "name calling"? Do you know how "juvenile" this sounds? Are you not an adult, who can tolerate simple "name calling"? Were you not told as a child that those who call you names were lacking "something" & if you bought into their comments, you would be supplying them with ammunition?

Geez JT, leave Thailand & go on a "holiday"...preferably somewhere in the worst part of Africa. You may return to Thailand with a little more tolerance.

Further, would you consider the words "poof", "poofter", "fag", "faggot", "pillow biter" etc to be offensive?

Look, think before you post.

I know many people of Asian descent in the US and they have been VERY OFFENDED by being called ORIENTAL. They CHOSE to move to the US and they did what they could to change the language usage. Now it has been changed. Thailand and the US are very different places. Thailand is not a POLITICALLY CORRECT place. I don't think it will change here in the Orient in the same process as the USA. I don't appreciate being preached to. I have presented an idea, people can take it or leave it.