Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm Thai and have to say this for about the millionth time here that "Farang" is NOT an impolite word. :yawn: If any of you wanna take offense whenevr you hear the word, then it's your own problem not anyone else's.

Oh really, tell us about "Kaek" and "Jek" and "mun" then.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Thai and have to say this for about the millionth time here that "Farang" is NOT an impolite word. :yawn: If any of you wanna take offense whenevr you hear the word, then it's your own problem not anyone else's.

It's the same in English where you have "black" and the N word, etc... (If you don't see the differences in the two, then I think you need help.) Anyway, I can't be bothered to explain or spend much time on this. If you, a foreigner, think you know Thai, my mothertoungue better than me, then fine. :o

Edited by ThNiner

It's the same in English where you have "black" and the N word, etc... (If you don't see the differences in the two, then I think you need help.) Anyway, I can't be bothered to explain or spend much time on this. If you, a foreigner, think you know Thai, my mothertoungue better than me, then fine. :o

It's absolutely nothing the same! If you're a Thai and think you know English better than I, fine :D:D

What's that saying that you say about "farang" knowing too much? I suppose you'll conveniently forget that. :D

Edited by Neeranam

TheNiner :D

It's absolutely nothing the same! If you're a Thai and think you know English better than I, fine :D:D

How's exactly the correct meaning of "Farang" have anything to do with the understanding of English language?

:o

It's the same in English where you have "black" and the N word, etc
:D

When reading a second language it's often good to read it twice.

Edited by Neeranam

So I am just curious, how would you explain the OP? He said his Thai students did say it was impolite. Would you say they are all wrong?

Neeranam, are you saying that "black" is as offensive a word as the N word? I was saying that "Farang" is not a deragotory term in Thai unlike "mun" or "Jek" ...and to me "kaek" isn't exactly offensive.

I guess I was being too subtle in my explanation?

So I am just curious, how would you explain the OP? He said his Thai students did say it was impolite. Would you say they are all wrong?

I not sure how Neeranam asked the question to his students. I highly doubt that any Thais would think that "Farang" is impolite. It's just a word to call white people in general. You can make it either polite or impolite depending on the contexts.

:yawn:

Anyway, I can't be bothered to explain or spend much time on this. If you, a foreigner, think you know Thai, my mothertoungue better than me, then fine.

Work on those ESL skills, you're almost there

That would be "mother tongue" or seeing as you're thai: ภาษาแม่.

IF in fact you are thai, you would know already that the "f word" can be used in MANY contexts to denote a negative attribute, much as the word "thai" can be used by foreigners the same way.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to explain or spend much time on this. If you, a foreigner, think you know Thai, my mothertoungue better than me, then fine.

Work on those ESL skills, you're almost there

That would be "mother tongue" or seeing as you're thai: ภาษาแม่.

IF in fact you are thai, you would know already that the "f word" can be used in MANY contexts to denote a negative attribute, much as the word "thai" can be used by foreigners the same way.

Thank you teacher for pointing out my one typo. :o What a disastrous mistake it was, wasn't it? :D

Oh Look! Teacher Tod-Daniels, there's another typo!!! Please help me! :o

I not sure how Neeranam asked the question to his students. I highly doubt that any Thais would think that "Farang" is impolite. It's just a word to call white people in general. You can make it either polite or impolite depending on the contexts.

:yawn:

Well yes I can imagine this topic would make you yawn although its good for us to hear from Thais. I don’t know if you have ever lived in a Western country. If you lived in the UK you might hear all sorts of names like: Oriental, Asian, Chinky, Slant-eyes, yellow skin, etc. Some of them you might like less than others. It might be more of an issue for you.

Teacher Tod-Daniels, please read my post, the one right above yours. Khob khun krab. :D:o

In the end it doesn't matter what you think it means, it matters for those that are on the receiving end of it.

For many we find it offensive, racist, demonstrative of a limited education. I.E. Some of don't us like it.

End of story

It is no longer appropriate to use many terms in polite socety and refer ot people in racial terms and farang is no exception IMHO.

Well yes I can imagine this topic would make you yawn although its good for us to hear from Thais. I don't know if you have ever lived in a Western country. If you lived in the UK you might hear all sorts of names like: Oriental, Asian, Chinky, Slant-eyes, yellow skin, etc. Some of them you might like less than others. It might be more of an issue for you.

I've never set afoot in the UK, but I have frequented a lot of football (EPL) forums, so I'm aware of those nice words you people use for oriental or chinese-looking people. And I'm still not sure why you had to bring them up, if you were open-minded and had listened to (or read in this case) what I wrote about "farang."

Actually you just reminded me of why I haven't bothered to post on here for a while. People like you are really aplenty at Thaivisa.com. :o:D

Edited by ThNiner

Neeranam, are you saying that "black" is as offensive a word as the N word? I was saying that "Farang" is not a deragotory term in Thai unlike "mun" or "Jek" ...and to me "kaek" isn't exactly offensive.

I guess I was being too subtle in my explanation?

Of course my Thai is not as good as yours - as your English is not as good as mine. Funny though as a lot of Thais seem to think the opposite.

Anyways, ThNiner, black and N word - they seem to change all the time - isn't it okay to use the N-word these days?

As I've said before, Jek used to used by all Thais when speaking about Chinese. Kaek, as you've admited is a little different(not polite). Farang used to be okay and still is to the masses of tourists and newcomerswho don't know any better. When I was a kid, I used to call the guy in the same street, "golliwog" and even had a golliwog doll. This was okay back in the 70s with shows like , "on the buses" on TV. Fortunately for the African/Jamaican coloured people, there weren't masses coming to Scotland for a shortime shouting out, "I'm a golliwog" , you Scottish. Unfortunately in Thailand we have such fools, who also say things like "sanook, same same, farang mee poong" and stick "na" on the end of their sentences.

Edited by Neeranam

I was at a meal the other evening. Mostly Thai women (wife's friends and firiends of friends - we were at a friend's house) and just us two (dare I say) Farangs :o

One girl that was new to my wife and I, but an old aquaintance (not seen for some time) of the host. We all had a good evening and the booze flowed quite freely - this girl drining an awful lot of red wine. The chat flipped from Thai to English, back and forth. Then at one point the girl - now really quite drunk - referred to me using the 'mun' term and used a context as if she was referring to an animal - all said jovially and while laughing. All the other Thais stopped laughing immediatly and all made pretty nasty comments about her later. They were all offended - I just thought she was drunk and had made a pratt of herself. I don't know if they will invite her back, but it didn't look good. My Mrs was really quite angry about it.

I don't beleieve most Thai's generally believe 'Farang' is derogatory, but they do know 'mun' is. Therefore, I take affence at the latter, not the former. Its intent that makes the insult, not the words.

So, I don't belioeve MOST (as said earlier) Thais refer to us as 'mun' - maybe just some classes of people - or in situations (drunk perhaps, or in temper).

Personally, I don't mind being referred to as farang when generalising or picking someone out (and names are not know), any more than us here say 'Thai people'. I do not like children refering to me as Farang when addressing me - that's rude and I let them know it. They can call me Pee or (at worse) Khun Farang if the don't know my name.

I do the same as someone here already said they do, when someone calls out 'farang! farang!' for no apparant reason - I shout back (and point if they are) 'Thai! Thai!'.

What's wrong with white expats living in Thailand trying to blend in with us? :o :yawn:

Nothing, its what most of us would dearly like to do - if only we could. Can I ask you (and ThiThi) do you really believe normal Thai people want us to blend in and be part of the Thai landscape as opposed to be eternal stowaways?

PS: I think your English is better than many of the Westerners' English here!

Actually why do does anybody bother what the locals call u.....as far as I am concerned u should all spend your time making money....in thailand as long as you have money.....they will lick your ......... even if u have not showered for days...lol!

Is not race that rules anything but money folks

What's wrong with white expats living in Thailand trying to blend in with us? :o :yawn:

Hmmm - yes I think that is the point of this thread - the problem is that many Thais seem to want to alienate many people who have decided, for many diverse reasons, to live in their country, on the basis of the colour of their skin.

Actually why do does anybody bother what the locals call u.....as far as I am concerned u should all spend your time making money....in thailand as long as you have money.....they will lick your ......... even if u have not showered for days...lol!

Is not race that rules anything but money folks

Nice one, coming from a sponser...

As long as you have money they will lick your ..... what exactly ?

And when you say they, do you mean Farangs on the bones of their azz, or Thai people ?

Kindly explain yourself Sir!

Hmmm - yes I think that is the point of this thread - the problem is that many Thais seem to want to alienate many people who have decided, for many diverse reasons, to live in their country, on the basis of the colour of their skin.

And that's totally different to a Family from Albania who have decided, for many diverse reasons, to live in the UK ?

Nothing, its what most of us would dearly like to do - if only we could. Can I ask you (and ThiThi) do you really believe normal Thai people want us to blend in and be part of the Thai landscape as opposed to be eternal stowaways?

PS: I think your English is better than many of the Westerners' English here!

Of course Khun Wolf5370, we'd like you to blend in and be part of Thai landscape. You can see it on TV already that there are plenty of "Luk Krueng"s who have been accepted as part of our culture. I think it will just take time for us (I mean the whole country) to get used to seeing you be like us. :D

And thank you for complimenting my English, Khun Wolf5370. I know I still have a lot to learn though. (I already see many of my mistakes in this thread. :D)

Farang is from the word France, French.

K. thithi,

You will see a lot of disagreement on that if you search around a bit. Many sources say it is a derivation of the Persian word "farangi", foreigners. And "farangi" made it's way to SE Asia via Arab traders .. some say, long before the French.

This is true.

It was the Arabic word for Franken, a Germanic bunch who featured prominently in the Crusades, best remembered for their absolute

lack of mercy.