Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PS. Khun Teacup and Thithi krab, as a Thai guy, I'm a bit sad to see you two fighting for a farang man. :cry: ... Kidding na krab. :D

Heck I didn't know he's a farang, it was quite dark

Hey don't blame me :D

Ahh I see krab. :D:o

And Nong Thithi, I understand now krab. :D

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has been beaten to death, only to resurrect itself on this forum time and again.

I still stand by my original assessment that it isn't so much the word, as the context it is used which carries the derogative connotation.

Up-country, I don't even react to its usage as many people rarely see Caucasians other than on t/v. In any larger city, especially Bangkok, I interpret it as derogatory or plain ignorance on the part of the speaker.

I see some thais have weighed in with their satang's worth on this subject as well. The fact that they are even on an english language only forum, indicates their education level is much higher than the marginal ป๖ (Bpaw-Hok) education possessed by the majority of the population in this country. I believe their perceptions may be skewed due to their higher education, and/or their innate 'thai-ness'.

"The truth? You can't handle the truth. .." (quote from the 1992 movie A Few Good Men)

PS. Khun Teacup and Thithi krab, as a Thai guy, I'm a bit sad to see you two fighting for a farang man. :cry: ... Kidding na krab. :D

Heck I didn't know he's a farang, it was quite dark

Hey don't blame me :D

Ahh I see krab. :D:o

And Nong Thithi, I understand now krab. :D

Glad to see you are right on top of thngs Th

nothing bad with this word. since i'm thai...

we cant tell which nationalities u guyss are ...

so all caucasian are called Farang... cos we cant say chao tang chad all the timeg

unlike we got a word to call chinese....

You note calling Chinese, chinese (I think). What about Koreans, or arabs, or Africans? Just curious. Farang means "foreigner," correct?

we call Korean as Kao-lee also as the country name.. also african

Arabs we put into Kaek just like indians ..... Persian .. Indian ... samesame [thais' thoughts]

prolly

Farang doesn't generally bother me, after all I tend to describe myself and other westerners as 'farang'.

It all depends on the context though. For example I was up-country once and some bloke wanted some money from me for beer, and so he approaches me and asks "You, farang have song roi baht?". This I found incredibly rude as considering he was asking me for money the very least that he could do was to call me by name or at least make an effort to know my name.

I simply replied that my name is not "farang", and did not give him a single baht (Which then made me a farang kee-nok :o )

RJ

A p…ssy is what you lookin for,….not a kitty

I think you're in the wrong aisle :o

Nar girl im looking for the one with the glass slipper so baby girl will you be my Cinderella?

But I already got my prince charming, w/ probably bigger castle than yours or the whole wideworld!

Hmm....what should I do :D

RJ

I think you're in the wrong aisle :D

Nar girl im looking for the one with the glass slipper so baby girl will you be my Cinderella?

But I already got my prince charming, w/ probably bigger castle than yours or the whole wideworld!

Hmm....what should I do :(

Its not the size that’s counts. It how we rock the boat. :o:D:D:D

hehe P'Thniner ... jealous really?

bkkjames ... i already thought Chao-Tang-Pra-Ted in here are 30+ with 3 kids ..... since i read some of yr posts :o

P'RJ ,,, go tell ye mummy!!!

Kinda sorta back on topic,,, I was wondering too all you Thai natives on here if someone is called Mia Farang, is that un-polite?

Need to know what to call Teacup and Thithi when I marry them.

RJ

Its not the size that’s counts. It how we rock the boat. :o:D:D:D

I meant his "brain".......and hmm doesn't seem like you have any

Sorry bbkjames i cant marry you tho life is too short..

but yr 3 kids ... hmm mm... and i'm underage...

Mia farang is not that impolite

but since i'm not going to marry u ... cant call me THAT!!!

glad to hear that, otherwise I would have call you my mia noi farang or is it mia farang noi or even farang mia noi, too confusing.

bkkjames ... i already thought Chao-Tang-Pra-Ted in here are 30+ with 3 kids ..... since i read some of yr posts :o

Kinda sorta back on topic,,, I was wondering too all you Thai natives on here if someone is called Mia Farang, is that un-polite?

Most of the mia farangs in Thailand are also mia luangs or mair yais

EWwwi??? mai aow !www mia noi

grrrr bkkjames ... since when i'm a mia noi huh??

EWwwi??? mai aow !www mia noi

grrrr bkkjames ... since when i'm a mia noi huh??

gig gaddai

RJ

Its not the size that's counts. It how we rock the boat. :o:D:D:D

nar girl Im at the Top of my GAME!..You want my hands from the bottom to the top of your brain ..And I...just wanna take a lil ride on your curves And get erotic giving your body just what it deserves and..Let me give you some swimming lessons on the P####!! Backstroke, breaststroke, stroke of a GENUS!!!!!!!

Edited by RakJungTorlae

RJ

I think you're in the wrong aisle :(

Hmm....what should I do :D

Its not the size that's counts. It how we rock the boat. :o:D:D:D

nar girl Im at the Top of my GAME!..You want my hands from the bottom to the top of your brain ..And I...just wanna take a lil ride on your curves And get erotic giving your body just what it deserves and..Let me give you some swimming lessons on the P####!! Backstroke, breaststroke, stroke of a GENUS!!!!!!!

And Again :D