Building With Aerated Concrete Blocks

NotNew2You

Does anyone perceive any security risk when building exterior and interior walls using the light aerated thermal concrete bricks (Q-Con, R-Con, etc.)? The bricks are very light weight and by design are full of air-holes so doesn't this make it relatively easy for someone (say a theif for instance) to punch a hole thought either an exterior wall of a house or maybe a interior condo or apartment wall?

I know there is a thin layer of finish plaster/cement on each side of the blocks but still seems a hammer and chisel would make short work of one of these walls wouldn't they?

Edited by NotNew2You

Does anyone perceive any security risk when building exterior and interior walls using the light aerated thermal concrete bricks (Q-Con, R-Con, etc.)? The bricks are very light weight and by design are full of air-holes so doesn't this make it relatively easy for someone (say a theif for instance) to punch a hole thought either an exterior wall of a house or maybe a interior condo or apartment wall?

I know there is a thin layer of finish plaster/cement on each side of the blocks but still seems a hammer and chisel would make short work of one of these walls wouldn't they?

why would a burglar knock through a wall instead of breaking a door or window to enter a house? i admit however that the pathetic 7.5cm inside walls in most condos are reason for concern.

why would a burglar knock through a wall instead of breaking a door or window to enter a house? i admit however that the pathetic 7.5cm inside walls in most condos are reason for concern.

Maybe security bars on window and doors? Maybe more of a concern for interior condo/apt walls.

Just seems to me that at least with the cheapo red bricks, one would need a sledge hammer to smash in the wall but with these thermal bricks, a hand drill and hacksaw might be all you need. Maybe I have just seen to many bank-robber movies :o

The 2 easiest access points are through the ceiling or bust the lock on the door to gain entry.

Not to many monkeys (thieves) use the wrecking maul technique . Much easier ways in. Thats what a BOA constrictor is good for while your away on vacation.LOL. I wouldn't give the brick to much concern as it is far easier to cut before installed.

Why smash a window when they can go through the wall!! :o:D

That said when the walls are initially built without the render you could easily kick a hole through one or shoulder charge one down. However once there is a couple of centimetres of cement rendered on each side they become very solid - I can assure you it takes more than you think.

Sure if you get a pointed round tipped cold chisel you can put a hold through the wall . . . after about 5 minutes of belting it with a lump hammer . . . but to make a man sized holed ... they'd neeed something pneumatic.

So it just ain't gonna happen! :D

The most common problems with AC blocks is that the cement do crack.

Thai companies that have been building homes for 20+ years have all recommended regular bricks over AC blocks. While many like AC blocks because it makes their project go faster, they say regular bricks are stronger and better suited for building projects in Thailand.

Although... I don't think you'll have ANY security risk what-so-ever with AC blocks. Better to watch your windows. :o

The most common problems with AC blocks is that the cement do crack.

Thai companies that have been building homes for 20+ years have all recommended regular bricks over AC blocks. While many like AC blocks because it makes their project go faster, they say regular bricks are stronger and better suited for building projects in Thailand.

Although... I don't think you'll have ANY security risk what-so-ever with AC blocks. Better to watch your windows. :o

Yep and that is the reason my house was build with regular orange bricks. The render bonds to the AC blocks and unless you provide sufficient time for the cement to truly harden (i.e. one month or so) and soak the render down everyday it then cracks breaking the blocks with it.

My workshops area out back was thrown up with blocks and rendered in the space of a couple of days then just left. There is numerous large splits in the render and blocks. The problem being that the concrete blocks absorb the water out of the render.

My house on the other hand the orange bricks were soaked for about a day or two prior to render then once the render was on it was soaked regularly for a week or so. The upshot being after 3 months of drying we had *some* hairline cracking of the render which were easily taken care of with some white plaster.

I believe cement take over one month to completely hardened and during this time still absorbs water.

:D