Violence

ProfessorFart

In my last spell in Thailand I used to enjoy a few late night drinks at the tables at the mouth of Soi 13 near the Miami Hotel on Sukhumwit road.

By this time the closing times were being well enforced and the street would be rammed with blokes who'd clearly enjoyed a night on the sauce and were on the pull.

Had this been the UK it would have been a battlezone, yet the fact that in BKK every bloke is probably getting plenty or at least has the chance of some, this seemed for a more subdued atmosphere. I must admit to being amazed that in 10 months I only ever saw 1 minor kerfuffle and 1 or 2 face offs. In fact in all my time in Thailand I've only ever seen one significant Westerner on Westerner ruck and that was smellies on Ko Pha Ngan getting tarred by some Bikers.

Towards the end of my stay however I began to hear reports of Westerners scrapping in the streets at chucking out time in Cowboy and near Nana in BKK, as well as in Patters and Samui, and I'm still hearing similar reports today from mates in Thailand.

My question is this:

Has there been a sharp rise in beer fuelled Westerner on Westerner violence since the closing time laws have thrown large numbers of drunken blokes on the pull together or has this always gone on and just been unreported?

Has there been a sharp rise in beer fuelled Westerner on Westerner violence since the closing time laws have thrown large numbers of drunken  blokes on the pull together or has this always gone on and just been unreported?

Possible I guess ... but it is getting close to peak tourist season. Fortunately LoS is a big enough place to avoid this stuff, or at least arrive early and leave early.

Cheers Spee,

My main point is that this kind of thing is now becoming a frequent occourence in LOS, not off the beaten track but right on it.

What compounds this further is the report from a friend just back from BKK who said that the area around KSrd was like any UK town centre at 2PM.

Full of drunken couples who couldnt give a <deleted> about local sensitivities, and those who hadnt pulled were just plain nasty. Des, I was glad to leave and get back home and frankly I was ashamed to find that the city I once loved has become like Manchester.

That was a quote from his email.

I just got this in an email from a mate in Bangkok.

''I was on Soi 4 leaving bus stop last night and there was a major scrap near big dogs. Looked like Germans and Dutch kicking off over a bird. They all ended up in the monkey house but not before there was claret everywhere.''

Anyone see this?

''I was on Soi 4 leaving bus stop last night and there was a major scrap near big dogs. Looked like Germans and Dutch kicking off over a bird. They all ended up in the monkey house but not before there was claret everywhere.''

Anyone see this?

Didn't see any of it the last time I was in BKK and I spent a lot of time in Soi 4 :D . Having said that: when the Dutch and Germans get near each other the chance of claret tends to rise sharply, regardless of where they are. It's been like that since AH popped over 'for a cuppa'. :o

Anyone see this?

maybe they were fighting over a girl named TAR who works in Big Dogs , she is a good looker but has been thru the mill and lived with a number of Brits , but is now solo again.

her last bloke lost 25,000 pounds on a dodgy deal with a thai bloke , so he had to go home broke .

her last bloke lost 25,000 pounds on a dodgy deal with a thai bloke , so he had to go home broke .

A familiar story.

I spoke to my mate earlier and he reckons that the 2 sides involved had been baiting each other all night in and around NEP. I wouldn't be surprised if an argument over a woman provided the spark which ignited the fracas.

I've run two bars in Thailand and fortunately never had a serious problem in either.

It was always agreed, that should there be an aggressive, drunken farang causing problems, the girls would take care of the situation. If it got really messy, the katoeys would be called from other bars to intervene.

Woe betide any farang who caused trouble.

I've run two bars in Thailand and fortunately never had a serious problem in either.

It was always agreed, that should there be an aggressive, drunken farang causing problems, the girls would take care of the situation. If it got really messy, the katoeys would be called from other bars to intervene.

Woe betide any farang who caused trouble.

I knew a guy in New Zealand who used to swear by female bounces. Had next to no problems at all at his pub. :o