Phuket, Krabi Airports Remain Closed As Protests Continue

george

Phuket, Krabi airports remain closed as protests continue

PHUKET: --A total of 118 flights which were scheduled to land or depart from Phuket international airport in southern Thailand were canceled, while more than 15,000 passengers were unable to proceed on their journeys as protesters of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) continued blocking access to all airport entrances for the second day Saturday.

A similar situation occurred at the airport in the adjacent resort province of Krabi, where six domestic flights were unable to land since early Saturday.

Phuket's international airport director said the facility would remain closed until 6 pm, when concerned officials would evaluate the situation.

The officials will discuss the safety of passengers and of aircraft before deciding to opened fir business as usual, the director said.

Of Saturday's canceled flights, 93 were domestic and the remainder 25 served international destinations.

Meanwhile, PAD activists who had earlier blocked roads leading to Krabi airport successfully occupied the landing strip and access tarmac.

They said they would not leave the airport's runway until their colleagues in Bangkok achieved victory – ousting the coalition government of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej.

As six flights of two airlines were unable to land at Krabi airport, officials arranged three air-conditioned coaches for passengers to travel to Bangkok.

-- MCOT/TNA 2008-08-30

First of all, the protestors are almost all Chinese (when they ask you when you go home, you should return the question) secondly the protestors are all anti foreigners. So they do not care at all.

I was at the site today. If there were more than a few thousand people than I eat my shoes. Still groups of idiots are running around with sticks. One par of the road, wired one free to move. Che seem to be popular. I saw his face on many black t-shirts. the lack of education is painfully clear. Che Quevara would turn himself over in his grave knowing that the elite is misusing his image to keep the poor and their votes suppressed.

It is amazing to see that a handful of people can hold a nation hostage. They sem to have the backing of the boss.

They demanded the government to play by the law, yet they did not play by the law.

Easy conclusion means that Thailand is the land of outlaw, where no laws exist.

Secondly, no, majority of the mob are not Chinese, but rather uneducated normal Thai citizens who will slave themselves or the nation for just 500 baht per day.

How pathetic.

Edited by Seizhin

Is any of this airport protesting affecting Suvanaphumi airport? Is it likely to affect it?

I am assuming that people trying to connect from the islands to an international flight will be affected.

I wonder what % of these protesters, rely on these pi$$ed off delayed or cancelled tourists for their main source of income??

choppy

i can bet that the majority of the idiot protesters have no idea why they are there in the first place and even give a thought what impact this will have on tourism with the peak season only short time away - sure that most tourists will be heading to Vietnam and china now --- they come on holiday to relax - not wonder when the next protest is going to close down the airports and trains -- no way will they come here - and then the business owners will be complaining they have no tourists they can fleece-- no tourists - no incomes -=- and a ton of unemployment -- all because a couple of bent guys have a personal vendetta against taksin

Phuket's international airport director said the facility would remain closed until 6 pm, when concerned officials would evaluate the situation.

But the above news bulletin was posted at george

Rating: 3

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

post Today, 2008-08-30 19:24:57

so this is 1 hour and 24 minutes after they said they would open the airport?

Any news on if the airport is open also i thought there was a speech at 6pm to sort this out?

Anyone have real updates?

i can bet that the majority of the idiot protesters have no idea why they are there in the first place and even give a thought what impact this will have on tourism with the peak season only short time away - sure that most tourists will be heading to Vietnam and china now --- they come on holiday to relax - not wonder when the next protest is going to close down the airports and trains -- no way will they come here - and then the business owners will be complaining they have no tourists they can fleece-- no tourists - no incomes -=- and a ton of unemployment -- all because a couple of bent guys have a personal vendetta against taksin

We are in Summer high season!

and yes it's all about money - the country, the people can provide as a background for the "heavenly tourists"?

It's their COUNTRY, it's their lives, they ain't no tourists here they are the citizens of this - their country, Sir!

And they have every right within the means of law just to do whatever they think is right!

How many times Quantas, BA, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Banks, trains, public services in the "real world" go on strike and then what who cries "foul"?

get real!

It's a major security worry that activists were (assumably) easily able to get onto the runway. Terrorists may see this as an opportunity.

my point as before, this show serious lack of security from the Thais!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Violent avatar. Do you care?

YES..!

I have family here and Phuket is where I lay my hat. Not sure if your aware, but the tin mines are long gone and pasty looking people that turn a lobster red colour arriving in big metal birds keep the Phuket economy going nowadays.

I have a lot of friends who rely on the tourism trade for there bread and butter.

Are you implying that because I have ( in your view ) a "violent avatar" that I'm beyond caring?

Never judge a book by its avatar.

Choppy

Edited by choppychugger

Just in from the international press

Three Thai airports close indefinitely after protesters vandalise Phuket terminal

PHUKET, Aug 29 (TNA) -- Three major tourism-and-trade oriented airports in southern Thailand were closed late Friday due to People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) vandalism and interference with airport operations in three provinces.

Serirat Prasutanond, acting president of Airports of Thailand (AoT), said he had cancelled all flights at the three tourist-packed airports – Phuket International, Krabi and Hat Yai -- until further notice after anti-government protesters invaded Phuket International airport.

First Phuket airport was ordered closed indefinitely after more than one thousand PAD demonstrators forced their way into the passenger terminal, smashing glass doors and partitions, while others blocked airport entrances.

The closure order was made jointly by the Phuket provincial governor and the director of the airport, with all aircraft stopped from landing or departing as of 5 pm Friday in order to prevent further violence.

Before the closure was announced, protesters rampaged through the passenger terminal, causing much damage to property as the proceeded. PAD leaders called on the protesters not to destroy airport property, and they called on them to move outside to facilitate passengers to board buses.

The protesters later moved out as requested by their leaders, but the damage had already been done.

On Friday PAD protesters also blocked entrances at two other southern airports in Krabi, near Phuket, and at Hat Yai international airport, causing hundreds of passengers to miss their flights.

The blockade at the two airports had caused inconvenience to many foreign tourists.

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said security measures at airports nationwide had been tightened after security agencies had received reports that the PAD protesters planned to move against all upcountry airports if police break up the ongoing PAD demonstration in Bangkok.

State-owned Thai Airways International (THAI) labor union chief Jamsri Sukchotirat said all 15,000 members of the union planned to stop work after police used force against PAD protesters at Government House early on Friday.

If the government does not stop harsh actions against the protesters, the union would ask all 25,000 airline staff nationwide to stop work and join the protest, Mrs. Jamsri said.

In another development, Mr. Samak was holding talks with armed forces commanders in Bangkok. Details of the talks were still unknown. (TNA)

Political News : Last Update : 18:31:31 29 August 2008 (GMT+7:00)

Source http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=5996

First of all, the protestors are almost all Chinese (when they ask you when you go home, you should return the question) secondly the protestors are all anti foreigners. So they do not care at all.

I was at the site today. If there were more than a few thousand people than I eat my shoes. Still groups of idiots are running around with sticks. One par of the road, wired one free to move. Che seem to be popular. I saw his face on many black t-shirts. the lack of education is painfully clear. Che Quevara would turn himself over in his grave knowing that the elite is misusing his image to keep the poor and their votes suppressed.

It is amazing to see that a handful of people can hold a nation hostage. They sem to have the backing of the boss.

I completely agree. I was just looking for immages of the protesters and how many of them their are. I couldn't immagin to many. The mob will definatly push for democracy, big business can move in this way.

No, we are in extreme low season right now.

As reported by the travel agencies regarding how many people that where affected [from my home regions countries] when the blockade of airports begun.

Che seem to be popular. I saw his face on many black t-shirts. the lack of education is painfully clear. Che Quevara would turn himself over in his grave knowing that the elite is misusing his image to keep the poor and their votes suppressed.

Che was just a murdering psycho, who cared only about his own grandissement. But he probably did know how to spell his own name.

Violent avatar. Do you care?

YES..!

I have family here and Phuket is where I lay my hat. Not sure if your aware, but the tin mines are long gone and pasty looking people that turn a lobster red colour arriving in big metal birds keep the Phuket economy going nowadays.

I have a lot of friends who rely on the tourism trade for there bread and butter.

Are you implying that because I have ( in your view ) a "violent avatar" that I'm beyond caring?

Never judge a book by its avatar.

Choppy

I like your avatar Choppy. I hope your famliy is not impacted by these events, but I don't expect any change to the situation down south until things get straightened out here in the capitol. Whatever happens, this does not make Thailand look good in from the outside world perspective. I agree that people will most likely reconsider their vacation destinations and look to other SEA locales without a political crisis every two years. We shall see.

I really hope all this will not spread to Suvarnabhumi airport, as I am coming back to Thailand on the 4th of this month :o

Unless Samak resigns, then I fully expect Suvarnabhumi Airport will be infiltrated by well-organised protesters causing its immediate closure for security reasons.

No, we are in extreme low season right now.

As reported by the travel agencies regarding how many people that where affected [from my home regions countries] when the blockade of airports begun.

Don't know for which place you are speaking but on Samui August is definitely the busiest month during summer. All european countries have summer holidays. Only mid december-march is better.

Phuket, Krabi airports remain closed as protests continue

PHUKET: --A total of 118 flights which were scheduled to land or depart from Phuket international airport in southern Thailand were canceled, while more than 15,000 passengers were unable to proceed on their journeys as protesters of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) continued blocking access to all airport entrances for the second day Saturday.

A similar situation occurred at the airport in the adjacent resort province of Krabi, where six domestic flights were unable to land since early Saturday.

For once I'm happy to have a private, overpriced but safe from this kind of nonsense airport in my village which is Chaweng, Koh Samui. My guests are coming and going smoothly and I would not be surprised to see few more who cancel thier Phuket stay and come to Samui instead.

It's all because people at the private airport and private airline would not allow the bunch of tugs to affect their money making ability .. something people working for government don't care for.

But maybe they should. If they care as much for their country as they say doing what they do is definatelly the wrong. They should find other ways of expressing their discomfort with the goverment without affecting crucial infrastructure of the country. This amongst other things leads me to think that they are not what they seem like (popular protest) and only slaves acting on belhaf of somoene else in their ruthless power game.

I really hope all this will not spread to Suvarnabhumi airport, as I am coming back to Thailand on the 4th of this month :o

Unless Samak resigns, then I fully expect Suvarnabhumi Airport will be infiltrated by well-organised protesters causing its immediate closure for security reasons.

samak is getting a little advise from the King today, wont be long now.

And they have every right within the means of law just to do whatever they think is right!

How many times Quantas, BA, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Banks, trains, public services in the "real world" go on strike and then what who cries "foul"?

get real!

Since when is breaking into an airport and blocking the runway legal?

I'm leaving at a good time...arrived a few weeks after the coup and am leaving just before the next...or during it, depending on when these bastards who have been stalling my traffic to and from work for what seems like 6 months now decide to finally do whatever it is they've been planning. The percentage of successful democratic transitions in Asia is incredibly low...nothing can function democratically when corruption is so deeply ingrained in the whole of society.

Che seem to be popular. I saw his face on many black t-shirts. the lack of education is painfully clear. Che Quevara would turn himself over in his grave knowing that the elite is misusing his image to keep the poor and their votes suppressed.

Che was just a murdering psycho, who cared only about his own grandissement. But he probably did know how to spell his own name.

I just think you cannot spell your name.

get real!

Since when is breaking into an airport and blocking the runway legal?

hmmm.... this is what i have said a hundred times, why are the police not arresting these people, at least it would show some law and order in Thailand......... oh sorry i forgot the police where being paid by the PAD...........