Nationwide Atm Charge Now?

Just tried using my NW card for the first time in a few months in Bkk. Two banks machines said communication error and would not cough up while the siam city bank worked but charged a 20 baht fee. Hardly breaks the bank but in the past I was never charged a fee by any bank, are there any which do not or are they all the same now?

Some atms charge me 20 baht, like siam, but it doesnt go to Nationwide, at least not from my statement. I was still withdrawing last night using nationwide flexaccount cash card and just checked internet banking- no change, no fee.

Edited by OxfordWill

Even domestic ATM cards are getting hit with a 20 baht fee now if you withdraw out of area. I was shocked to find I got nailed 20 baht for withdrawing 3000 baht in Kanchanburi last week.

It's a brave new world here in Thailand, where they have now figured out how to screw the consumer just like in the West. Better get used to it. If there are any banks that aren't doing this, it's only because there is a bug in the system which will soon be corrected.

Just tried using my NW card for the first time in a few months in Bkk. Two banks machines said communication error and would not cough up while the siam city bank worked but charged a 20 baht fee. Hardly breaks the bank but in the past I was never charged a fee by any bank, are there any which do not or are they all the same now?

Nationwide DO NOT charge. This has been covered before and other posters have also confirmed this.

Siam Commercial charge 20 Baht for 'foreign' cards. I am not sure about others that do, but most don't. There is also the 'inter-province' charge that applies to Thai bank cards.

Even domestic ATM cards are getting hit with a 20 baht fee now if you withdraw out of area. I was shocked to find I got nailed 20 baht for withdrawing 3000 baht in Kanchanburi last week.

It's a brave new world here in Thailand, where they have now figured out how to screw the consumer just like in the West. Better get used to it. If there are any banks that aren't doing this, it's only because there is a bug in the system which will soon be corrected.

nothing new about that.

Nationwide DO NOT charge. This has been covered before and other posters have also confirmed this.

Siam Commercial charge 20 Baht for 'foreign' cards. I am not sure about others that do, but most don't. There is also the 'inter-province' charge that applies to Thai bank cards.

Correct - the charge is made by the local bank - In the past few months I have had no problems with using Bangkok Bank machines - no charge - but things change.

I used my NW card at a SCB machine over the weekend. For the first time I was charged 20 baht for the transaction. I will use BB machine next time. I am guessing that it is only certain (greedy) banks who are making the charge.

Siam C Bank charge 20 baht transaction on foreign visa/Debit card withdrawals in our local Tesco Lotus, use Bangkok Bank ATM -no charge.

I am going back to UK for family reasons but will pick up my new Nationwide Debit card and card reader thingy?? from my local branch. Have been a NW member many years and they still will not send cards to Thai home address.

When you quizz them and ask the real reason why? - "Thailand on the list of dodgy countries!!"

With the current situ in Bangers, you can see why.

PS: 20 baht is not exactly not going to worry ex-pats unduly, however at 59.44 Baht v GBP & 3 to 4 ATM withdrawals a month from SCB, well that's a night out.

Edited by phutoie2

There have been other TV threads on this.

Siam Commercial Bank began charging a 20 baht per transaction fee for all foreign ATM card withdrawals a couple of months ago.

Most other Thai banks have not followed suit as yet... I can assure that BKK Bank is not charging such a routine fee as yet when customers use foreign ATM cards in their ATMs.

Although, BKK Bank does have other fees when you use their BKK Bank ATM card either out of the BKK area or at other banks' ATMs in Thailand beyond a certain number of uses..