Electricity requirements

TRIPxCORE

You can buy transformers to lower the 230v to 115v at most department or hardware stores.  But with the price of electronics now at rock bottom here (dvd players for about $50) it might be better to leave and buy things here that work here (unless you have top of line and newest equipment - in which case I hope you have duty free import status).

If you are like me and have a 'special' computer that you would like to bring here, it's likely that it will work here just fine without a voltage transformer.  My computer has a switchable power supply and the flat panel moniter that I brought over all accept a voltage input from ~110v through 230v -- you have to check the manufacturer specs to be sure though

Also, do be sure to check if you'll be liable for import taxes... that can vary a lot

You can buy transformers to lower the 230v to 115v at most department or hardware stores.  But with the price of electronics now at rock bottom here (dvd players for about $50) it might be better to leave and buy things here that work here (unless you have top of line and newest equipment - in which case I hope you have duty free import status).

Well, in all the times I have been to Thailand I always looked around for electronics and always found that they were just as expensive or usually more so than in the US.  Where are you locating these items so cheap?  Secondly, as far as shipping items and paying import tax, could I just ship an item ahead of my own departure and address it to a friend that lives there already as if I am sending them a gift via Fed Ex,  then pick it up at my convienence???  That makes sense to me.  Do people have to pay import taxes on gifts they receive from oversea's?

In general the US market is the cheapest as it is the largest.  But recently items have become available here at as low or lower than normal US prices for some made in China and sold at Lotus type places.  Also this equipment is usable without fear that the maid will plug it into a wall outlet and fry it.  For high price and newest items Thailand is usually slow to become competitive but for the low end but usable it is fine.  And these days most electronic stuff can be considered throw away as changes take place so fast.

Any item coming into Thailand is subject to customs duty, just like almost every other country.  If the item is valued below about $20 there will be no charge (if by mail - fed ex may well charge) but anything above will likely be subject to duty on value plus shipping change and probably VAT on top of that.

You don't have to go to Dept. stores for your electronic stuff. Many shopps and bazaars deal with electronic items and will take them back or fix them if you have a problem. Somethings in LOS are way behind the west, proabably as stated earlier because of lack of demand, in car entertainment being an obvious contender!

Also, if you shy away from 'names' like Sony etc and buy local stuff like 'National' they will be far cheaper. For big electrical buys, TVs etc, that you can get in your car, it can pay to go to provinces out side of the usual farang/rich Thai locales. I bought my Grandmother a new large colour TV (National Sony look-a-like) in Lampang for half what it cost in BKK. I also got myself a protable sterio CD player (Sony one) for thirty quid (about $45) - it was £160 in the UK at the time!