Which Passport To Use When Entering Thailand ?

My mom a naturalized US Citizen is going back to live in Thailand. She plans to be in Thailand for about a year then come back to the US. She still has a valid Thai passport.

Which passport should she use when entering Thailand ? thanks.

- Nationality: US and Thai

- Her age: 72

PS: She already got a Thai visa on her US passport (good for 90 days, I think). Also, while there in Thailand she plans to go do some tourism, possibly traveling to Malasia, Singapore, etc.

My mom a naturalized US Citizen is going back to live in Thailand. She plans to be in Thailand for about a year then come back to the US. She still has a valid Thai passport.

Which passport should she use when entering Thailand ? thanks.

- Nationality: US and Thai

- Her age: 72

PS: She already got a Thai visa on her US passport (good for 90 days, I think). Also, while there in Thailand she plans to go do some tourism, possibly traveling to Malasia, Singapore, etc.

If she has a Thai passport by all means use it to enter and leave Thailand as she will be free to do so any time she wants

If she uses her USA Passport even with a visa she will be restricted by the terms and validity of the visa and period of stay allowed upon entry in Thailand.

By using her Thai passport she will have the added advantage to be able touse the very short queues at Bangkok airport reserved for Thai passport holders

If she uses her thai passport to get in as you've suggested. Which passport would she use then when leaving the country ? If she leaves with Thai passport, it wouldn't have US visa there.

And if she uses her US passport, wouldn't they question her on how she got in since it wouldn't have an entry stamp ? I just am worried that she will be hassled and fined for doing something wrong or illegal.

But if this is how thai people with US citizenship are doing it and not run into any problems then fine.

I would appreciate hearing from someone with similar situation/circumstances, how they do it when entering/leaving Thailand.

Again, thanks in advance. regards.

Edited by Aswin

Nothing illegal about it....

She should leave USA on her USA passport. I have heard that this is USA law, that a USA passport holder must use that passport to leave or enter USA.

Enter Thailand on Thai passport. She would have no need for any visa or anything else for Thailand.

Leave Thailand on Thai passport. She would now have matching stamps for in/out of Thailand.

Enter USA on USA passport. Again, USA law.

She definitely should not enter on one passport and leave on the other.

I do not understand your statement: "If she leaves with Thai passport, it wouldn't have US visa there."

Edited by mgjackson69

The airline will not allow her to check in without proof of meeting entry requirements into the USA. She will do that by showing them both passports on exit of Thailand.

US passport for entry/exit USA (required by US law).

Thai passport for entry/exit Thailand (for convenience).

Best choice for other countries - but always use same passport for both entry/exit.

I thought there was some new law where U.S. citizens must use their passport for flights entering or leaving the U.S.? It has to do with some homeland security check thing. My friend had a problem once, when checking in to a flight on the U.S. the check-in counter types in the U.S. passport number. In the immigration queue the flight info and name is already linked from check-in counter so if a Thai passport is shown the info doesn't link up. I just pay the money and get a thai visa on my U.S. passport with multiple entry. Usually you can get a 1 year renewable visa no questions asked just by showing you Thai ID card. However for local flights I just use a Thai passport in and out.

I thought there was some new law where U.S. citizens must use their passport for flights entering or leaving the U.S.? It has to do with some homeland security check thing. My friend had a problem once, when checking in to a flight on the U.S. the check-in counter types in the U.S. passport number. In the immigration queue the flight info and name is already linked from check-in counter so if a Thai passport is shown the info doesn't link up. I just pay the money and get a thai visa on my U.S. passport with multiple entry. Usually you can get a 1 year renewable visa no questions asked just by showing you Thai ID card. However for local flights I just use a Thai passport in and out.

The suggestion was to show both passports to the *airline* when checking in, to show that you meet entry requirements for the destination. But use the USA passport to *leave* USA, Thai passport to enter/leave Thailand, USA passport to re-enter USA.

Use the Thai Passport to enter and leave Thailand.

You will get blasted by the customs official (and this is the mild treatment) if they know you're Thai and entering under a different passport.

Thai wife, naturalized US citizen, uses US passport for *all* travel (including entering and leaving Thailand). No problems. I don't see how there could/should be any.