Economic Status For Retirement Extension

If using 800k bank account only (not 300k) it has to be there 3 months but if using along with a pension/income letter from Embassy there is not requirement for a 3 month wait.

I am a permanent resident of Canada, but I am a British Citizen. My income is generated in Canada, so which Embassy should I use, and do I have to get the embassy letter in Thailand?

Also, is it only pension/social welfare income that will be accepted? Other topic posts suggest that rental etc income is okay.

Thanks.

I would have thought it would be the British Embassy in Bangkok. Assume you have a UK passport.

It can be any income.

I would agree with those who say just do the renewal at the Pattaya office. They probably process the most retirement extensions in Thailand and have it down to a science. The only way they know where you "live" is by what you tell them as your address on the form. Just put down the name and address of a hotel or condo in Pattaya as I don't think they ever check-up on this for extensions based on retirement. (At least in 10 years, they have never checked-up on any of the 5 places I have lived in during that time.)

You will quite often get someone who for some reason will rightly or wrongly knock you back for some obscure reason, my advise is not to start waving the rules under their nose and telling them they ARE WRONG - unless of course you don't really want to get an extension to your visa - as they (Immigration) can always find something amiss-like your picture isn't 4x 6 cm - looks like the same pic. you used last year, your bank balance isn't current - please go and update your book - we need a bank statement issued and signed for today etc.

Bengt, I have seen other members posting that they go to Jomthien for there extensions instead of Sriracha and Jomthien accepts the applications because they know that the officers at Sriracha do not know their job. you might wont to try that.

--

Maestro

Thanks for replying Maestro.

Maybe I will try immigration at Jomtien as they seems used to farangs rather than SR immigration.

Just want everyone to know that I have all the required documents in order.

Application and photo,,certificate from Swedish embassy whith a stamp,,statement from Bangkok bank ,,photocopies of passport and visa registred condo at land office in chonburi , certified address in chonburi.

My financial staus is pension and bank account alltogether almost 900.000 THB a year.

I really appreciate all of you that advice me because I really feel small like a mosquito in front of the immigration officer and I cannot say to an officer that hes wrong...I have to behaive politely whatever.

I also married to a Thailady but immigration recommend us to apply for retirement extension instead of marriage extension and thats no problem.

Regards.

I find it odd, I use the 800,000 Fixed term Deposit, no problem at all in the last 5 years of renewals at Bangkok Suan Plu.

A friend in the next Village used the over 65,000 per month pension, UK Embassy letter, for 2 years he had nothing but problems at Suan Plu, the last 2 year he has gone to Pattaya Immigration, with no problems...

We live 50km North West of Bangkok, so the nearest is Bangkok, but it appear fine to use Pattaya.. so maybe is fine to use any Immigration ?

We made the same enquiry only a week ago at Hua-Hin immigration and they told us that "As long as we provided documentation from the British Embassy confirming our income, then that could offset this against the 800,000baht requirement, so presumably if it exceeds the 800,000Baht you DO NOT have to have any money showing in your account at the time of application ( not that you would do that anyway - but just hyperthetically speaking)

The one thing that I am not sure about, is if the documentation states that we will receive £x per month/ year for a set number of years then do we have to apply to the Embassy EACH year to confirm this - or will they accept that the documentation is good for the 'stated period of guaranteed income' as per many private pension schemes have to do by law now in the UK - the reviews normally being every 5 years.

I understand that it cost about 2300Baht to obtain the confirmatory documentation from the British Embassy in Bangkok, irrespective of the number of 'incomes' that they are confirming at the same time. Anybody got any experience of this situation ?

Hi Mr. Musicman,

I get a letter from the British Embassy each year. I take my P60 from the Pension company, pay my 2,300 baht and collect the letter from the Embassy the following morning. They will send it EMS if you do not want to stay in BKK overnight.

The letter states your name, passport number, address and also says that they have no "bad" information relating to you. It shows my GROSS income for the previous year.

I then took it with the other required documents to Korat this year (have always used Nong Khai in the past) and was trying to get a "Child Support" Extension. The officer said that my request involved too much work, but he would give me another Retirement extension as my income exceeds to 65,000 monthly requirement. However, he kept the original letter from the Embassy and said that I need to get a new one every year.

I did have a bank book and letter from the bank, showing 300,000 on deposit, but I was not asked for it. The application was processed solely on the letter from the Embassy.

Thanks for that 'Justincredible' that clears that point up - a new one every year OK.

• 1 month later...

"It is very frustrating when there are officers in Immigration offices that change the rule"s to suit them self."

If, as according to farangs, their wealth is the only thing that is keeping the economy afloat, why would making things difficult suit Immigration?

If using 800k bank account only (not 300k) it has to be there 3 months but if using along with a pension/income letter from Embassy there is not requirement for a 3 month wait.

I renewed my retirement extension at Suan Phlu last July using the 65K income requirement (with an actual income of more than one Mil) and had to sign a form that I need to have also a deposit of Baht 200,000 in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the renewal in 2009, being told “that this is the current requirement.”

I hope this info is of some help.

I extended my retirement visa two days ago, in Chiang Mai. Likewise, pension over a million baht. I have no Thai bank account in my name, and none was required. Embassy letter, nothing more. No questions asked, not even "Do you like Thai food?"