Kawasaki Klx 250 Its Here !

imaneggspurt

I had a phone call yesterday afternoon from MP bike shop, said if you still want a klx250 come on down and bring 10k deposit, great i think to myself ,they are in ! ( ive been waiting for 4 months ),.so off i go this morning with my deposit,.when i get there im a bit disapointed to not see one in the shop, .anyway tha guy im dealing with comes over and says, would you like to leave a deposit,.i asked " when is the bike available and what is the price "?,..so he says approx 2 months ! ,,im flabbergasted, i then ask ," how much " , he says between 150.000 and 170.000,.i just cant believe it,. i said why have you called me to come down here, you dont have a firm deliverey date or price, (it seems they are building a new solus kawasaki dealership on sukomvit and want to put off all sales til it opens,).anyway to cut a long story short my friend and i ( he wants one also ) got up and left,.within an hour a lady called me from the same dealership and said, they have a firm price now of 149.900 !, but,,, no bikes for a month,. meanwhile a friend of mine from rayong called me and said they are in the showroom down there for 149.000,.so tomorrow we are off down there, the more i find about thai businesses the more i am amazed ! :o

Sorry , but I have to walk on egg shells now-a-days, but I would not recommend to buy a Kawasaki KLX250 for riding around Bangkok. As I understand, Kawasaki Thailand will not assist you in getting the bike legally registered (with book). It is not impossible, but it is a hard and difficult one... if your the first for this model you pay for model acceptance which is +/- 30,000 Baht per model, which involves emission testing for a serious long time.....

Hi,

is there really a big different between KLX and Dirt-Tracker? I guest not. I´ve a 96 KLX250 with kickstart and it looks simular to the Dirt-Tracker. With 21 and 18 inch wheels the tracker must be a good off-road bike like the KLX is. Streetlegal and with electric-start. And it looks great!

If nothing else.. In a year or twos time we will have a second hand and new market of bigger bikes at reasonable prices.

I know someone selling a rough GS650 for well over 400k.. While a d-Tracker is not the same animal the price for a new one means there should be a compression effect right through the market. All those old, smoke blowing, messed up book off roaders knocking about are going to get price pushed right down.

Great news for us bike buyers.

Sorry , but I have to walk on egg shells now-a-days, but I would not recommend to buy a Kawasaki KLX250 for riding around Bangkok. As I understand, Kawasaki Thailand will not assist you in getting the bike legally registered (with book). It is not impossible, but it is a hard and difficult one... if your the first for this model you pay for model acceptance which is +/- 30,000 Baht per model, which involves emission testing for a serious long time.....
Really, isnt it exactly the same emissions as the d-tracker ?,. and the price quoted was including registration,.im actually in pattaya and if you havent been here lately the roads are worse than parts of cambodia and the klx will suit this area fine,.

Hi,

is there really a big different between KLX and Dirt-Tracker? I guest not. I´ve a 96 KLX250 with kickstart and it looks simular to the Dirt-Tracker. With 21 and 18 inch wheels the tracker must be a good off-road bike like the KLX is. Streetlegal and with electric-start. And it looks great!

Yes it is basically the same bike that has been around since 1993,the d tracker was jdm only from 99 but now added to thailand,.with its updated spec the klx in my opinion will be a great bike for thailand,.

I paid a 10k deposit on the new D-Tracker X, collect it in 3 weeks in Chiang Mai, 149,900 for the bike and another 5k for green book, transportation from BKK and 3rd Insurance. Much better option than the KLX although that's just my opinion!
And mine is the klx will go on and off road.,without the bigger wheels the d-tracker is limited to road really, but if road only i would say theres not much in it,.but i will be getting mine dirty ! :o

i have seen it! :D touched it and sat on it :o .....looks very nice but its only a 2 cylinder.....same engine as a ZZR250.

wouldnt buy it =(

If you are talking about the KLX ita a single cylinder and intended for some off road as well as on, the zzr250 will only go off road if by accident ! :D

If what you say is correct richard ( and i dont doubt you ) then this compounds what im beginning to think that even the big 4 lie/cant give correct info here in thailand,.i was told months ago the bike comes with plate/registered,.and i know for sure that 3 of the customers that have paid deposits on this bike have been told the price quoted includes registration, what a mess thailand is when it comes to business, thank god i dont have to deal with them on a proffesional level,. Edited by imaneggspurt

All this reminds me of a joke,, a chap is walking through bangkok and sees a piece of paper on the ground, he picks it up and sees that its a receipt for a repair on a pair of shoes and dated 1975,..but he actually knows this shop and its still there !,. so off he goes to the shoe repairer and hands in the receipt, .the old thai man looks at the receipt and says " oh yes, be ready friday ",..... :o

If nothing else.. In a year or twos time we will have a second hand and new market of bigger bikes at reasonable prices.

I know someone selling a rough GS650 for well over 400k.. While a d-Tracker is not the same animal the price for a new one means there should be a compression effect right through the market. All those old, smoke blowing, messed up book off roaders knocking about are going to get price pushed right down.

Great news for us bike buyers.

i agree, once these bikes get about the unregistered /grey imports will be knocked about for sure,.my friend has a 20004 honda xr250 he wants 100.000 with no book, i think he will struggle,.

If what you say is correct richard ( and i dont doubt you ) then this compounds what im beginning to think that even the big 4 lie/cant give correct info here in thailand,.i was told months ago the bike comes with plate/registered,.and i know for sure that 3 of the customers that have paid deposits on this bike have been told the price quoted includes registration, what a mess thailand is when it comes to business, thank god i dont have to deal with them on a proffesional level,.

Its quite possible that it will get plated.. I think roachard is warning against being the first people to end up with them if that price doesnt come plated or if its promised as coming soon, getting initial type approval side can cost time and money to pass emisions.. I am sure these will get legalised, but being first can be dangerous.

Its all down to are Kwaker doing this, or is it being done by dealers themselves almost as a grey import structure ?? If its Kwaker then your much safer than if its done ad hoc by dealers.

All this reminds me of a joke,, a chap is walking through bangkok and sees a piece of paper on the ground, he picks it up and sees that its a receipt for a repair on a pair of shoes and dated 1975,..but he actually knows this shop and its still there !,. so off he goes to the shoe repairer and hands in the receipt, .the old thai man looks at the receipt and says " oh yes, be ready friday ",..... :o

while this may be an old joke.. this (almost) actually happened to my old man.. I swear !!

He put a grandfather clock head into a repair shop for cleaning, forgot it and left the area, a year or two later when into the shop and the shopkeeper calmly told him to come back next week, after a year to do the job.

Imaneggspurt,

I said that Kawasaki would not assist you in registering the motorcycle, but as you buy it from dealership it is likely that the dealer does the registering for you. There is basically no difference, maybe a few days waiting longer for the actual plates.

For the 30,000 Baht for registering and emission tests, this is only if the motorcycle is a new model for the Department of Land Transport. My g/f is confident that you would not have any problems registering the KLX250; the KLX250 is not new for the Department of Land Transport (can we not call this DLT)

The DLT doesn’t care if a motorcycle has an identical engine as an already approved model, they simple… new model new test… Official if you change anything on your bike what changes the riding position, overall wide, wheelbase or modification-involving frame, engine, exhaust and suspension you need a new DLT test.

Imaneggspurt,

I said that Kawasaki would not assist you in registering the motorcycle, but as you buy it from dealership it is likely that the dealer does the registering for you. There is basically no difference, maybe a few days waiting longer for the actual plates.

For the 30,000 Baht for registering and emission tests, this is only if the motorcycle is a new model for the Department of Land Transport. My g/f is confident that you would not have any problems registering the KLX250; the KLX250 is not new for the Department of Land Transport (can we not call this DLT)

The DLT doesn't care if a motorcycle has an identical engine as an already approved model, they simple… new model new test… Official if you change anything on your bike what changes the riding position, overall wide, wheelbase or modification-involving frame, engine, exhaust and suspension you need a new DLT test.

Im a bit confused richard,is the Kawasaki dealer not part of Kawasaki ?.is it the dealers responsibility to get these bikes through the tests ? .as far as the other 8 bikes i have bought new the dealer has always registered them,..sounds like a mess this one,.

Dealers are each a private franchise, so the dealer can do things that come from official Kawasaki, and also do sidelines like a grey import kawasaki..

Just my guess.

Well if this is the case its totally different to the uk where all dealers can only sell bikes supplied by the consessionaire,( new ) the supplier sends all bikes ready to retail ,no tests of any sort needed , only a pdi and registration,i do know there is a big push in thailand now to get the dealers to go solus hence this confusion i think, as i said ther dealer in pattaya definatly is trying to put off delivery til their solus showroom opens in october,.

I belief that Kawasaki is not selling official motorcycles to dealers which also do grey import....

Anyway Imaneggspurt, you not have to worry about any emission test, the KLX250 is already clear....

thanks for that, so does the quoted price include everything, ie, 149.900 on the road ?

A 20004 honda xr250 for 100.000 with no book, but with invoice, is actually a very fair price on the Thai second hand market. He should advertise it in the Thai web classifieds. There are couple of really good ones but you should post in Thai. I think you would be surprised by by how quick it would be picked up.

Actually, I'm after a Yamaha WR250. I simply can't stand road bikes...I must have an "enduro" (trail bike).

Actually the KLX250 is an "enduro" bike. Not a motocross nor a supercross bike, but a (trail bike) in a tamed street legal spec, similar to the WR250R. "Dual purpose" as you can ride the road legally to get to the trail.

Equivalent road bikes would be the Kawasaki Dtracker or the Yamaha WR250X or the tamer XT250. So don't go for those.

"Refurbishing"?
NEW PLASTICS, WHEELS, MUFFLER SYSTEM, TYRES, CHAIN SPROCKETS, BARS,IM BORED AND HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS, EXPENSIVE !,. BUT WHO CARES, :D .IM ACTUALLY PREPARING IT FOR AN OVERLAND TRIP THROUGH LAOS AND CAMBODIA, BIGGER FUEL TANK TOO,( THIS PIC IS THE BEGINNING ) SORRY FOR CAPS, I CANT BE BOTHERED TO RE WRITE OT ALL ! :o

post-62885-1220504126_thumb.jpg