"school For Life" For Kids

talatnat

A philanthropic friend who wants to duplicate Chiang Mai's "School for Life" center in another country wanted to know what the "local" reactions / feelings are to this effort.

This is a school for disadvantaged children, read more at School for Life.

Any information +/- would be welcome, as would a

ny pointers to other similar Thai and non-Thai efforts.

I could not think of a better place to start the research on this than in this forum.

Edited by talatnat

I helped the Rooftop Party two years ago when they were raising money for School for Life and was very impressed. It was a very happy environment for disadvantaged children and was exceptionally well run. Very professional.

Haven't been there for over a year but I have no reason to believe it is very different. Best thing to do is contact them and ask if you can visit. I am sure they will be happy to show you around.

Have you ever noticed that most of the people who run charities to help the disadvantaged in Thailand are usually expats?

You might consider that this is because in Buddhist philosophy people get the karma they deserve.

In other words, orphans, for instance, would deserve their situation.

I don't know anything about Chiang Mai's "School for Life" center for disadvantaged children but it is nice to hear about Thai's involved in charity work.

You notice this because when a foreigner does charity they make sure everyone knows about it, hence the rooftop parties. Most Thais doing charity don't pander to the English speaking crowd.

And your idea of the Thai view of Karma seems a bit perverted. Most Thais I know beieve what you do in this life will affect what you come back as in the next life. Meaning if you are evil you may come back as a snake or an insect, not as an orphan or a disabled person.

Maybe we just know different kinds of Thais.

Have you ever noticed that most of the people who run charities to help the disadvantaged in Thailand are usually expats?

You might consider that this is because in Buddhist philosophy people get the karma they deserve.

In other words, orphans, for instance, would deserve their situation.

I don't know anything about Chiang Mai's "School for Life" center for disadvantaged children but it is nice to hear about Thai's involved in charity work.

I helped the Rooftop Party two years ago when they were raising money for School for Life and was very impressed. It was a very happy environment for disadvantaged children and was exceptionally well run. Very professional.

Haven't been there for over a year but I have no reason to believe it is very different. Best thing to do is contact them and ask if you can visit. I am sure they will be happy to show you around.

Thanks, and good to hear its well run.

You are absolutely wrong about it being foreigners who mostly do charitable good. Maybe these are the ones with savvy PR to contact media companies, magazines and newspapers, maybe they are the charities your expat friends know of and tell you about. But many many Thais do charitable work by 'pid thong lang phra' (putting the gold at the back of the Buddah, not at the front for all to see). Many times it is also a different form of charity. The western way can sometimes involve communities, while often in Thailand people simply donate privately (or stick massive plaques up at temples! Thais are not all into 'pid thong lang phra'!), or they 'take care' of their extended households, those of their staff and charities which are closer to home and which affect those they cross paths with. All forms of charity is good, Thais are as varied in their efforts as many farang are.