More State Enterprises Threaten To Strike

george

More state enterprises threaten to strike

BANGKOK: -- The Confederation of State Enterprise Labour Union on Monday announced that about 200,000 workers at 43 state enterprises will jointly go on strike to protest against the government for allegedly using violent measures to disperse the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters.

According to the confederation, 43 state enterprises will suspend their public utility and assistance operations all together on September 3 at 9am.

The confederation claimed that Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej is damaging the democratic regime. In order to end the problem, the premier and his government have to resign from politics completely.

The confederation insisted its potential strike would not trouble the majority of the people.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-09-01

According to the confederation, 43 state enterprises will suspend their public utility and assistance operations all together on September 3 at 9am.

The confederation insisted its potential strike would not trouble the majority of the people.

Hmmm .... I don't get it.

There are 43 state enterprises, which if the workers go out on strike, will have no effect on the majority of the people. If taken at face value, this looks like a great opportunity to do some downsizing in the national budget and bureacracy.

On the other hand, if these 43 state enterprises are indeed important, then there is way to much government control and involvement, and the state should divest about 35-40 of these enterprises into the private sector.

Government should be in the business of governing, not in the business of running businesses.

Hmmm .... I don't get it.

There are 43 state enterprises, which if the workers go out on strike, will have no effect on the majority of the people. If taken at face value, this looks like a great opportunity to do some downsizing in the national budget and bureacracy.

On the other hand, if these 43 state enterprises are indeed important, then there is way to much government control and involvement, and the state should divest about 35-40 of these enterprises into the private sector.

Government should be in the business of governing, not in the business of running businesses.

just under Thaksin private sector meant that he'll own them.

:o:D:D That's one of the most hilarious things I've read for ages.

EDIT TO ADD: Sounds like the sort of thing the Minister would have said to Humphrey in 'Yes Minister' for you UK bods, tho' he'd have got at at least 2 more 'businesses' in there..

Edited by Slip

"Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) labour union leader Pian Yongnu said the union will call on the national army chief, Gen Anupong Paojinda, who has been appointed to head a committee responsible for enforcing the emergency decree to consider three conditions to resolve the civil strife. They include the resignation of Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej, the dissolution of the House of Representatives, and the military administration of the government. According to Mr Pian, the unrest situation has spread to all corners of the country following clashes between members of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) early Tuesday, leading to one death and dozens of injuries. The union chief further claimed that the country is collapsing, and democracy cannot move forward. Although the army has been taking a neutral stance, other state officials could not maintain the situation, he added.

Mr Pian threatened that if the union does not receive any response, it will cut off electricity to the Ministry of Defence on Wednesday".

[http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=130274]

The leader of the Bangkok electrical workers' union (not even national boss) is threatening to black out the Ministry of Defence of one of the most powerful militaries in SE Asia?! :o

Amazing Thailand............

"Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) labour union leader Pian Yongnu said the union will call on the national army chief, Gen Anupong Paojinda, who has been appointed to head a committee responsible for enforcing the emergency decree to consider three conditions to resolve the civil strife. They include the resignation of Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej, the dissolution of the House of Representatives, and the military administration of the government. According to Mr Pian, the unrest situation has spread to all corners of the country following clashes between members of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) early Tuesday, leading to one death and dozens of injuries. The union chief further claimed that the country is collapsing, and democracy cannot move forward. Although the army has been taking a neutral stance, other state officials could not maintain the situation, he added.

Mr Pian threatened that if the union does not receive any response, it will cut off electricity to the Ministry of Defence on Wednesday".

[http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=130274]

The leader of the Bangkok electrical workers' union (not even national boss) is threatening to black out the Ministry of Defence of one of the most powerful militaries in SE Asia?! :D

Amazing Thailand............

:o More power to them! :D

We as small company, if electric is cut off, we can't produce anymore and my second company which needs internet does not work anymore!

I as owner will happily burden that. When electric goes out, all our staff is released so they can do what they want and this is to join the PAD.

Hmmm, this sounds more and more like a class struggle............

THe state enterprises of Thailand have long been little fiefdoms rank with nepotism and corruption. Thaksin threatened to privatize a lot of them. One of the first things that the Sarayuth government did was to replace the upper management in many of these with people more to his liking (more anti-Thaksin). (Recall Saprang taking the helm of the AOT). this might explain why we have heard next to nothing from the 'governors' of the various enterprises (not the union bosses- not the ministries responsible- but the executives who govern the enterprise). Normally, one would expect them to be screaming that the reasons for strikes to not include unseating the government.

Of course any government that would threaten privatization will be opposed by the management- who dole out the budget pretty much as they see fit- by the union bosses who as Giles U points out- have rarely demanded better conditions for the workers- but MAY enjoy a mutually rewarding relationship with management- and in fact, by the workers who are pretty much the only working group in the country to enjoy job security and a relatively generous perc package.

Not a class struggle, I'm afraid- more like a rational decision to protect a good thing from a government which in a previous incarnation, sought to privatize them- and halt the gravy train.

I may be wrong in my analysis- and this involvement of the State Enterprise Unions (and that has to be stressed- the ONLY unions that are throwing in with the PAD that I am aware of are in the state sector)- does seem like strange on the surface--if so I would welcome clarification.

Edited by blaze

well its almost 9:30 any signs of a strike?

Almost 11:00 any signs of a strike?

I suspect the posters ran out of gas when it comes to news and information. The train people told me this morning that I would not be able to go from BKK to Chumphon tomorrow as scheduled. Now this quaint little protest is affecting me personally.

well its almost 9:30 any signs of a strike?

Almost 11:00 any signs of a strike?

I suspect the posters ran out of gas when it comes to news and information. The train people told me this morning that I would not be able to go from BKK to Chumphon tomorrow as scheduled. Now this quaint little protest is affecting me personally.

sorry to hear that....

I think there are (or were??) flights to Ranong by air asia.

Maybe thats an option?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130336

Forty-three state enterprise unions largely failed to deliver their nationwide strike Wednesday - planned to show workers' support for the PAD protesters at Government House.

The strike promised to cut basic utilities such as electricity and water to selected government targets and close down the port in Bangkok.

On Monday, representatives of some 43 state enterprises and 200,000 state employees threatened a nationwide strike starting 9 am Wednesday to support members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) who have occupied the seat of government since August 26 - forcing the prime minister to declare a state of emergency after violence early on Tuesday.

As of mid-day Wednesday there had been almost no worker action, although some state enterprises such as the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand reported an unusually large number of absentees.

A Thai Airways International flight from Phitsanulok to Bangkok was cancelled by the captain and crew Wednesday morning on the excuse that they weren't "feeling ready" to fly.

Im sure yesterday's announcement of only negotiations by Gen. Anupong has helped to calm tensions, and result in less disruption.

in a day or tweo we even find ourselves back where we were before Friday as long as the other side remain calm too.

Edited by hammered

Im sure yesterday's announcement of only negotiations by Gen. Anupong has helped to calm tensions, and result in less disruption.

in a day or tweo we even find ourselves back where we were before Friday as long as the other side remain calm too.

I am afraid that you are right and that we will be in for a long standoff again. Although a standoff is better than violence I think .....

Waerth

POLITICAL SHOWDOWN

Klong Toey strike means B10m hit

Costs 4,000 baht per container to move

POST REPORTERS

About 5,000 containers of export and import shipments at the Bangkok port were affected after more than a thousand employees of the Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) labour union went on strike yesterday. Shippers estimated the country could lose up to four billion baht a day from the strike, which is part of the anti-government protest led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Rest of story at http://www.bangkokpost.com/040908_Business...p2008_biz35.php