Visa Debit Cards, Hire Cars And Hotels?

Hi All!

Just the other day I got one of those rediculous credit card statements you get from time to time with fees and charges that are essentially B-S :o

Anyways to have the upperhand I decide to say bye bye to the credit card, went down to my bank and hooked up a Visa debit facility to my bank account.

Question: I hav'nt taken a card like this and used it in Thailand for doing things like hiring cars and booking hotels before and I heard that these cars are not allways accepted for some things. Is this really the case?

What sort of things if I can't use this for if it can't be used?

Damo.

In those situations where your card is being used not only as a form of payment but also as a "deposit" or "guarantee", you may find that a debit card is not accepted. This would include guaranteeing hotel reservations or renting a car (where the card is a deposit against damages).

When you rent a car, for example, the rental company will pre-authorise your credit card for the anticipated cost of the rental (and often a bit more). Once the charges have been pre-authorised, your credit provider is obligated to honour a charge up to the pre-authorised amount, even if in the interm you go over your credit limit. Banks won't pre-authorise amounts on a debit card because there's nothing to stop you emptying your bank account between the time the pre-authorisation is made and the time the final charge goes through.

I have had no problem using a Visa debt card for over 20 years.

The case given by the last poster is not my experience.

If the hotel or car rental company get authorisation for $x, that immediately comes off your "available balance", while the amount you actually have in the account does not change until the account is submitted. The same happens when you have transactions in countries other than the one the account is held in, they can take up to a week to appear on your account. So you can look at your account and think you have money, but not be able to draw on it. The banks are not that stupid.

I have had no problem using a Visa debt card for over 20 years.

The case given by the last poster is not my experience.

If the hotel or car rental company get authorisation for $x, that immediately comes off your "available balance", while the amount you actually have in the account does not change until the account is submitted. The same happens when you have transactions in countries other than the one the account is held in, they can take up to a week to appear on your account. So you can look at your account and think you have money, but not be able to draw on it. The banks are not that stupid.

good comment, even better signature!!!

I have found that I have not been able to use my Thai debit card for hotel and car hire bookings, including Thai Visa car hire, made on-line. I have been able to use my debit card to book into hotels but not to rent a car. I have not been able to use my debit card to book theatre or airline tickets on line, and whilst my bank, Kasikorn, does offer a virtual credit card card for use on line, it's no good if you have to show your card before you fly or collect theatre tickets.

Having given up my UK credit card I had to swallow my pride and take on a Thai credit card, difficult but not impossible without a work permit.