State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

PAD's #1 demand is for Samak to step down. What does PAD expect to happen right after that - does PAD have an alternative poo yai (big boss) ready to step in to take the reins?

Personally, I support PAD's right to engage in peaceful civil disobedience. I loathe Samak and his honchos, but (maybe I missed something) I haven't seen a viable alternative. Thailand appears to have a dearth of leadership material.

PPP or it's next incarnation will have a long line of inept self-enriching bumblers waiting in the wings - If Samak steps down.

I'm sure Thaksin, Samak and their buddies are having heated discussions about who they'll appoint to step in as interim PM position - as we speak.

With another Thaksin clone at the top of the heap, what will PAD have accomplished?

"They must accept the four-point demand _ and only if the prime minister is either Somchai Wongsawat or Surapong Suebwonglee," said Mr Sondhi.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Sondhi said the government must promise not to amend the charter in its favour; to observe the Constitution Court's order regarding Preah Vihear temple; to suspend all mega-projects; and to commit to political reforms and increased public participation in politics.

Mr Sondhi said the four-point demand was strictly his own proposal, not the PAD's. He had yet to put the matter to other core members.

"They must accept the four-point demand _ and only if the prime minister is either Somchai Wongsawat or Surapong Suebwonglee," said Mr Sondhi.

I really don't understand this demand of Sondhi's. Is it just a continued flakiness in PAD leadership?

Is he now beginning to distance himself from the others?

Feel free to offer thoughts on this one but my feeling is that Samak has too many good connections in the right places to be much of a pushover and this has created a stalemate.

Why on earth would you demand that Samak step down and replaced with Somchai or Surapong? One is Thaksin's brother in law and the other is inexperienced and has on many occasions said he has no problems referring to Thaksin or taking advice from him. My feeling is that Samak has not turned out to be the Thaksin stooge that was hoped for and it is frustrating some people greatly.

Maybe the PAD have already started producing the signs - "Somchai ok pai", "Surapong ok pai"

These two people don't have the back up of Samak and it is easier to put them on a pro Thaksin platform.

Surely Sondhi can't think people are that stupid though! Maybe someone whacked him over the head with one of those golfclubs.

Mr Sondhi said the government must promise not to amend the charter in its favour; to observe the Constitution Court's order regarding Preah Vihear temple; to suspend all mega-projects; and to commit to political reforms and increased public participation in politics.

Mr Sondhi said the four-point demand was strictly his own proposal, not the PAD's. He had yet to put the matter to other core members.

I really don't understand this demand of Sondhi's. Is it just a continued flakiness in PAD leadership?

Feel free to offer thoughts on this one but my feeling is that Samak has too many good connections in the right places to be much of a pushover and this has created a stalemate.

Why on earth would you demand that Samak step down and replaced with Somchai or Surapong? One is Thaksin's brother in law and the other is inexperienced and has on many occasions said he has no problems referring to Thaksin or taking advice from him. My feeling is that Samak has not turned out to be the Thaksin stooge that was hoped for and it is frustrating some people greatly.

Maybe the PAD have already started producing the signs - "Somchai ok pai", "Surapong ok pai"

These two people don't have the back up of Samak and it is easier to put them on a pro Thaksin platform.

Surely Sondhi can't think people are that stupid though! Maybe someone whacked him over the head with one of those golfclubs.

They could throw it out for a show of hands at the protest. But are those sitting intelligent enough to vote?

With another Thaksin clone at the top of the heap, what will PAD have accomplished?

See my other post above. My guess is that they would like a less well connected and influential clone. The present situation hasn't played along the lines they were anticipating and it is stalemate.

They could throw it out for a show of hands at the protest. But are those sitting intelligent enough to vote?

Real hands or plastic hands? Supposing they are intelligent enough to tell the difference.

Real hands or plastic hands? Supposing they are intelligent enough to tell the difference.

Don't care. On the basis that he supposedly represents the intelligent middle class, more than a couple of them will probably read that article and might wonder, what the hel_l is he doing suggesting these two?

Alternatively, they may shrug their shoulders and accept that that is the level to which Thai politics has fallen and that these two are the best of a very bad lot.

What's logical about the DAAD , the PTV zombies and their rack record?

Again, I'm not making this up.

"he who controls the media controls the country." those who watch only astv will be inclined to PAD while those who believed in NBT will support the goverment or prefer the PAD to stand down. this is now a media game. the more you watch astv, chances that you get influenced will be there. Same goes to NBT. If you watch both side, you might consider both are biting each other and is link to some form of mob. the news hosted on UK sites (online news) praising Sonthi belongs to sonthi ( good one) and the uk online news hitting very hard on thaksin or toxin (whatever you call him) is linked to thailand's PAD.

I know and have seen Taksin pulling Thailand out of bankruptcy during the economy crisis. And we all have seen what damage these protest have done to Thailand. Taksin might be a bad guy but is there a better way to resolve the internal issues rather that pulling Thailand into economy crisis? Don't forget that putting Thailand into the limelight for the wrong reason is not right.

news hosted on online sites does not belong to

I severely doubt that the UK media is linked to or controlled by any side in this dispute. It is likely they will criticise the PAD for being undemocratic and Thaksin for being a serial human rights abuser as these are the kind of issues that would stand out. I also guess like all football chairmen in the UK Thaksin gets handled fairly harshly by tabloid journalists. This however has no link to Sonthi's shadowy arm and is just normal.

UK sites (online news) hosted on online sites does not belong to UK media/medias. you can also rent a domain and write whatever you want to write.(provided it is within the country's internet law). if you track back this forum, you will see links to an online news which states that it is owned by a company/corporation held/owned by sonthi. basically he is interviewing himself and putting it in writing what he wants people to read. (UK media has got nothing to do with these online news being hosted in UK.)

OK got you. Just websites/blogosphere pretty much the same as Thaksin does. makes sense now.

See my other post above. My guess is that they would like a less well connected and influential clone. The present situation hasn't played along the lines they were anticipating and it is stalemate.

You have to understand how much Panthamit(PAD) have accomplished already. They overthrew- through their use of miliatry supporters- an elected government. They had the constitution changed to support their aims. They established the Asset Examination committee,they can have whole parties dissolved . AND still, despite all this, they lost the last election. It was just not fair.

Then you had the evil other side (PPP and voters from Issan) questioning the legitimacy of the Asset Examination Committee just because the members were appointed by the leaders of the coup which ousted Thaksin. Again this is unfair as the AEC members like Kaewsan Atibodhi have stated publicy that they have no bias against Thaksin, even when it is known they spoke on the PAD stage during the anti-Thaksin rallies...

Edited by clausewitz

Sondhi was in multiple close business deals with Thaksin, so he might be close® with other members of this clan. Maybe once broken promises have been renewed or a backroom deal is in the making, greasing the wheels of both sides.

Everybody will be happy for the moment, everybody saves face, everybody makes money, and if the "solution" does not fit the PAD, they can just go back on it. Perfect!

Perhaps, if more people knew about the background of Sonthi, Chamlong, Col. Sanders etc., then they will understand what is going on behind the rhetoric. People will also understand why such bitterness exists between the PAD and Taksin faction.

Does anyone have any links to information of this sort?

Numerous links to what to seek are scattered throughout this and other news related threads. If you want some one-stop shopping clues, I suggest you type the name of each of the protagonists you seek information about in a wikipedia search. By the time you read all those, you will have a laymans take on the more recent events.

The Sonthi v Thaksin love story is basically Sonthi lubb Thaksin mahk mahk Until Thaksin made a fast buck off Sonthi. Then Thaksin became pooyai and queered a plan for Sonthi to kamoy the money he lost through badly timed investments through a peuan at a bank. The other political characters, much like a Shakespearean tragedy, are nothing more than supporting actors and bit players. However, they all have some personal agenda, most likely towards smaller (but not insignificant) personal financial gain in these twilight years.

Edited by NanLaew

Sondhi was in multiple close business deals with Thaksin, so he might be close® with other members of this clan. Maybe once broken promises have been renewed or a backroom deal is in the making, greasing the wheels of both sides.

Everybody will be happy for the moment, everybody saves face, everybody makes money, and if the "solution" does not fit the PAD, they can just go back on it. Perfect!

Surely Sondhi can't think people are that stupid though!

He seems to think that the majority are.

Maybe not a stalemate. It looks like a military tactic to me. PAD has barracaded themselves into a prison of sorts. Everyday, things are a liitle less loud, a little less feverish and the followers are not so hysterical. There are reports of people leaving and PAD is loosing what little popularity it had. PAD is tired and many in Bangkok are tired of PAD's tactics. The army will keep the pro-government demonstrations from attacking them and robbing them of the publicity they are so desperate for. A month from now, the demonstration will be over and their leaders will be awaiting trial. In the greatest irony of all, PAD will have given Samak credibility. If the government and military can keep up this policy of patience and restaint and starve PAD of publicity, PAD will be finished.

Did anyone see the Samak and Sonthi interviews by Jonathan Head on BBC World this morning?

Samak was extremely odd to say the least considering it was for an internatioanl audience and Sonthi very calm.

I have to say hats off to Jonathan Head, consistently fair and reliable.I had wondered whether he might be cowed by his recent FCCt experience but no sign of it.

Recent overseas reports describe Samak as a "bruiser" which seems to me an apt description.His English isn't that far from the snake snake fish fish variety whereas Sondhi is a fluent speaker and thus more effective with an international audience.Sondhi is also a more charismatic character than Samak though both are obviously obstinate.I'm on record on this forum for my distaste for Samak:unlike most I was there in the 1970's.

And yet there's much about Sondhi that makes my blood run cold.Is it melodramatic to sense pure evil here?

First night of emergency state passes with no violent incident for PAD

The People's Alliance for Democracy continued its demonstration in the Government House throughout the night without any violent incident.

But rumours spread throughout the night that either pro-government protesters or security officials would raid the Government House to evict PAD demonstrators.

When the morning came, the tension apparently eased and many protesters left the rally site while many others had breakfast provided by the PAD.

Source: The Nation - 03 September 2008

It's positive note that there was no repeat of this....

102-1.jpg

110.jpg

398.jpg

101.jpg

In the Bangkok Post today there were a number of similar photographs including some of those shown above.The key difference was that the Bangkok Post showed thugs and victims from both sides.The poster has simply omitted images which don't fit in with his preconceptions.

There certainly seems to be an overwhelming abundance of photos in the international media (from where these came from) of one side more so than another, which is reflected in the above.

As always, you should feel to post whatever relevant photos you wish.

Edited by sriracha john

Bear in mind that with Gen. Anupong talking negotiations and threatening to talk to NBT as well as ASTV for inflammatory speeches the SoE has not gone as Samak intended. To the PPP faithful MPs Samak gave one thign - a connection to the military and bureaucracy that implied they would stick with him. Samak has announced the SoE and also announced it would be used to clear government house. Now the military havent agreed to that (or at least not just yet), and they have also dragged NBT which hosts government MPs making speeches into this. Samak's use to the party faithful is now limited. Throw into the equation Sonthis remarks. A little encouragement to a couple of ambitious men maybe, but more to the point previously PPP felt only Samak could be PM as he had the connections and anybody else would make things worse. Now Sonthi the biggest PPP hater says otherwise!

Add in that Samak is no doubt under extreme pressure to go, which he wont want to do as he is a very very arrogant and egomaniacal man (witness the BBC interview today), and you see the games turn to trying to force Samak out to allow negotiations. It may not be democracy but it may allow some movement. Well actually it could be democracy if it happens through resignation, court action, party removal, parliamentary removal.....etc

My other hope is, that maybe through all this, public awareness will increase of what is going on in this country....

Poor people not having enough to eat or get medical care, so they borrow money at 20% interest per month. (This is widespread everywhere and keeps the poor in slavery). A lot of them have employers who lend them money at 20% per month and for the rest of their lives, they will be working as slaves, just to pay the interest. This has gone on for a long time, longer than I have been in Thailand (I've only been living here for about 6 years)Young women only being able to get jobs, if they are pretty

The disabled being refused jobs, because many Thai businessmen don't want them to be seen working for them

Family violence

Mafia control and extortion of beggars and prostitutes

Even though, the PAD may not be adressing these problems directly, Sondhi has shown that the people have power. One day they will wake up and realize that they can use that power for all kinds of positive social change in this Nation.

Awakening the People was a good thing. We may not all agree on the motives, but showing the people how much power they really have, is a positive, in my thinking.

The Thai unions which are backing PAD that you seem to so vociferously defend are in one sector only, the government sector. The union leadership has alot to lose if the current government breaks down the stranglehold the leadership has on the unions. It wasn't so long ago that public serrvice unions in the west were given to enforced discrimination against visible minorities, women etc. and fought long and hard when the western governments forced them to stop their favourtism and preferential treatment of certain groups. That's what's happening in Thailand. Of course unions like Thai Airways are scared shitless. If the government has its way it won't be the happy club reserved for the lighter skinned preferred middle class, but would *gasp* let those dark skinned Issan types get hired.

All of a sudden you have declared yourself in favour of mom, apple pie and happy families. Well, maybe you should take it up with the governnment sector unions that certainly haven't done their bit to fight conjugal violence or to make workplaces accessible to the disabled. The government unions represent the priveliged. Do some digging and look at who the government sector leadership is. Do they truly represent the working men and women or are they in the pocket of vested interests? Take a look at what happens to the real union organizers in Thailand and ask yourself why the government unions have never helped them out. Solidarity? Not in your wildest dreams.

The government unions are Thailand's version of Jimmy Hoffa's Teamsters. When's the last time, these unions you laud allowed a free and private vote on the leadership? Go on, do your research. Better yet, contact some of the reputable international unions and ask for their views on how the government sector unions are run. You won't like the answer. Do you really think the end justifies the means?

Edited by geriatrickid

Did anyone see the Samak and Sonthi interviews by Jonathan Head on BBC World this morning?

Samak was extremely odd to say the least considering it was for an internatioanl audience and Sonthi very calm.

I have to say hats off to Jonathan Head, consistently fair and reliable.I had wondered whether he might be cowed by his recent FCCt experience but no sign of it.

Recent overseas reports describe Samak as a "bruiser" which seems to me an apt description.His English isn't that far from the snake snake fish fish variety whereas Sondhi is a fluent speaker and thus more effective with an international audience.Sondhi is also a more charismatic character than Samak though both are obviously obstinate.I'm on record on this forum for my distaste for Samak:unlike most I was there in the 1970's.

And yet there's much about Sondhi that makes my blood run cold.Is it melodramatic to sense pure evil here?

Whatever opinions on people. I dont think the refusal of Samak to answer questions by saying I forgive you repeatedly will do much but show him in a very bad light to casual western viewers, as for rambling about his age! Im not sure bruiser would cover this interview tbh as it lacked agression even seeming weak by Samak's usual standard. I think Head's striaght out statement (not question): well Gen Anupong asked you to resign last week probably knocked it out of Samak.

Point taken about Sonthi's better English.

Who is evil? Probably quite a lot in Thai politics and that which surrounds it tbh;). That is the underlying problem or at least one of them

Bear in mind that with Gen. Anupong talking negotiations and threatening to talk to NBT as well as ASTV for inflammatory speeches the SoE has not gone as Samak intended. To the PPP faithful MPs Samak gave one thign - a connection to the military and bureaucracy that implied they would stick with him. Samak has announced the SoE and also announced it would be used to clear government house. Now the military havent agreed to that (or at least not just yet), and they have also dragged NBT which hosts government MPs making speeches into this. Samak's use to the party faithful is now limited. Throw into the equation Sonthis remarks. A little encouragement to a couple of ambitious men maybe, but more to the point previously PPP felt only Samak could be PM as he had the connections and anybody else would make things worse. Now Sonthi the biggest PPP hater says otherwise!

Add in that Samak is no doubt under extreme pressure to go, which he wont want to do as he is a very very arrogant and egomaniacal man (witness the BBC interview today), and you see the games turn to trying to force Samak out to allow negotiations. It may not be democracy but it may allow some movement. Well actually it could be democracy if it happens through resignation, court action, party removal, parliamentary removal.....etc

It does indeed leave some options on the table. I wrote previously, that it would be absolutely disastrous to the country if the government was to leave simply because PAD demanded it. The people at the top always knew this, I believe. The compromise was always likely to be that Samak would go and someone step in. Classic negotiation tactics. Sondhi wouldn't be so silly as to try to nominate Abhisit, so these two are in his opinion the best of the rest.

Why no one will ever know. But I don't believe it is because he wants some Man City season tickets.

Then take the personalities involved and realise that if face is anything to go by backing down under what would appear to be personal demand wasn't ever really an option also. It was always likely that the PAD would have to give Samak a way to go and keep some (even the tiniest piece) of face. He can maybe walk away now claiming he is doing it for the good of the country's unity.

As for arrogant and egomaniacal, in this whole situation, I don't believe that can be limited to Samak alone.

BBC World also had a guy from Amnesty International on today who was worried over loss of media freedom and freedom of expression after the announcement of SoE. He also made intersting remarks that unless the underlying problems of division were resolved then no government elected, coupist or mobbist would be able to do anything. He also was worried that things could get worse. The BBC does seem to be giving this relatively high profile now.

Samak interview in which he threatens CNN's Dan Rivers when he's confronted with a lie...

"You don't use this word to me, eh? Don't use this word to me again. This is an insult to me", said in a threatening and menacing tone while pointing his finger at the interviewer...

Thai PM speaks about clashes

CNN's Dan Rivers talks with Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej about political tensions and unrest.

Interview Video Link:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world...ref=videosearch

It does indeed leave some options on the table. I wrote previously, that it would be absolutely disastrous to the country if the government was to leave simply because PAD demanded it. The people at the top always knew this, I believe. The compromise was always likely to be that Samak would go and someone step in. Classic negotiation tactics. Sondhi wouldn't be so silly as to try to nominate Abhisit, so these two are in his opinion the best of the rest.

Why no one will ever know. But I don't believe it is because he wants some Man City season tickets.

Then take the personalities involved and realise that if face is anything to go by backing down under what would appear to be personal demand wasn't ever really an option also. It was always likely that the PAD would have to give Samak a way to go and keep some (even the tiniest piece) of face. He can maybe walk away now claiming he is doing it for the good of the country's unity.

As for arrogant and egomaniacal, in this whole situation, I don't believe that can be limited to Samak alone.

Hope you are right on a way out.

Sure there are many who are arrogant and egomaniacal;)

BBC World also had a guy from Amnesty International on today who was worried over loss of media freedom and freedom of expression after the announcement of SoE. He also made intersting remarks that unless the underlying problems of division were resolved then no government elected, coupist or mobbist would be able to do anything. He also was worried that things could get worse. The BBC does seem to be giving this relatively high profile now.

I caught the end of that myself, he also went onto say that these problems will not go away unless the government became transparent, accountable and had respect for the rule of law.

So true, and yet such a simple things will be a very tall order.

Samak interview in which he threatens CNN's Dan Rivers when he's confronted with a lie...

"You don't use this word to me, eh? Don't use this word to me again. This is an insult to me", said in a threatening and menacing tone while pointing his finger at the interviewer...

Thai PM speaks about clashes

CNN's Dan Rivers talks with Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej about political tensions and unrest.

Interview Video Link:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world...ref=videosearch

I saw that, way over the top!! It was a fair question that is being asked worldwide and handled very unprofessionally

National Police distribute notices for arrest warrants of PAD leaders

Following the issuance of arrest warrants for the 9 leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy on several major charges by the Criminal Court, the criminal records division of the National Police have produced notices of the warrants.

The notices have been distributed to police databases across the nation, similar to warrants issued for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his Ratchada land purchase case.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 September 2008

Supreme Administrative Court schedules hearing to consider issuing injunction against Emergency Decree

Human Rights attorney of the Lawyers Council Nitithorn Lumlua (นิติธร ล้ำเหลือ) revealed that Supreme Administrative Court has scheduled a hearing to consider accepting a call to issue an injunction against the Emergency Decree. The Lawyers Council has sought legal action against Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej for issuing the emergency declaration in Bangkok.

The filed suit claims that the Government did not have a just and reasonable cause for issuing the Emergency Decree. They stated that the situation occurring in Bangkok does not meet all the needed criteria of the Emergency Situation Act of 2005. The suit also stated that the stipulations of the decree are unconstitutional when operating under the 2007 constitution.

The suit has called for an immediate review of the decree and the issuance of a temporary injunction to end the Emergency Situation, until the Supreme Administrative Court may come to a final ruling on the matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 September 2008

PAD : ready to negotiate once PM resigns

People's Alliance for Democracy Leader Somkiat Pongpaiboon (สมเกียรติ พงษ์ไพบูลย์) declared the decisions of the PAD's 5 main leaders affirming that the group will not negotiate with the government or Royal Thai Army Commander General Anupong Paojinda (อนุพงษ์ เผ่าจินดา). The PAD leaders stated that they would only agree to negotiations once Prime Minister and Defense Minister Samak Sundaravej resigned from the government.

PAD Leader Somsak Kosaisuk (สมศักดิ์ โกศัยสุข) stated that he has not yet been contacted by the army commander and has not received any topics for negotiation. He stated however, that the time has passed for negotiation as the People Power Party led government is unjust and is unfit to administer the country.

The ongoing PAD rally is still being broadcast via ASTV and the group affirms they will resist the cancellation of the channel.