State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

i agree so lets to try and find out the truth, oh bugger how do you do that in thailand ? any ideas any one?

News articles by recognized journalists rather than blog entries by unknown writers is a good start.

read 'thai at heart' seems resonable to me or would you be better of with fox news

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=789

During the first 25 days of the rally, the PAD received 26 million baht and paid 24 million, according to the PAD’s coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. During the three months, the PAD has sold 90,000 ‘Patriotic Chinese Descendants’ t-shirts for 25 million baht, according to political scientist and Sondhi Limthongkul’s close associate Chai-Anan Samudavanija. And after the Government House siege, the PAD has 6.6 million baht remaining in its bank accounts, plus gold worth 1,056,000 baht, according to one of the PAD’s leaders, Chamlong Srimuang.

Thailand is held together under the constitutional right that all Thai's are of the same blood and are all equal. What he truly feels in his heart he is definitely not conveying in his speeches now. We have seen what has happened in history when people did not see the facts in front of their eyes. I am not conveying any other facts than I have freely found on the web. This man is very very dangerous. I don't like corruption, I don't like vote buying, but this man is blatently gaining support by turning one class(group) on another.

Where is electoral selection leading? Who is paying for this charade? Who has a vested interest in this mess?

so a 200k profit a day and rising no doubt, good business i think 100 days 20m go on call me a cynic

Is any of this confirmed by any other source other than this blog?

Read the links. If it is only 10% true, I really don't have the words to describe how badly misled anyone could be for supporting the PAD

I was addressing the comment regarding the second link which is from a blog... which while interesting, without confirmation from a viable source, is unverifiable.. 100%.

http://www.prachatai.com/english/aboutus.php

About Prachatai

Prachatai (www.prachatai.com or www.prachathai.com ) is an independent, non-profit, daily web newspaper established in June 2004 to provide reliable and relevant news and information to the Thai public during an era of serious curbs on the freedom and independence of Thai news media.

Prachathai was established by a group of concerned Thais who include a senior member of the Press Council of Thailand, a well-known lecturer in Journalism, two members of the Thai Senate, a number of senior journalists, and a number of Thai NGO leaders.

Prachatai has a 19-member Board and a 7-member Management Committee which consists of 4 Board representatives and 3 senior staff. Since January 2006 Prachatai also been registered as a Thai non-profit foundation, named The Foundation for Community educational Media.

On September 6th 2004, Prachatai began its daily publication on the web with a staff of one editor and five reporters. At present Prachathai has a staff of 14: a Manager, Editor, Network Co-ordinator, 6 central office reporters, 3 regional reporters, a web manager, and a finance officer.

Interesting. Do you know why they use pseudonyms for their writers on some entries or don't identify the writer at all on others?

Is the information contained in the entry verified anywhere else?

i agree so lets to try and find out the truth, oh bugger how do you do that in thailand ? any ideas any one?

News articles by recognized journalists rather than blog entries by unknown writers is a good start.

http://www.atimes.com/mediakit/aboutus.html

Asia Times Online http://www.atimes.com and http://www.atchinese.com, is a quality Internet-only publication that reports and examines geopolitical, political, economic and business issues. We look at these issues from an Asian perspective; this distinguishes us from the mainstream English-language media, whose reporting on Asian matters is generally by Westerners, for Westerners. Our Chinese-language edition presents our articles to Chinese readers around the world.

We are served by more than 50 correspondents and contributors in 17 Asian countries, the US, and Europe. Additional content is provided by news services and renowned think tank and investment analysts and academics.

Asia Times Online was founded in the beginning of 1999 and is incorporated and duly registered in Hong Kong. It derives its revenues from advertising and

the resale of original content to other publications and news services.

Historically, in our publication policy and editorial outlook, we are the successor of Asia Times, the Hong Kong/ Bangkok-based daily print newspaper founded in 1995 and associated with the Manager Media Group,(Amazing and it appears they gave him an interview while he was basking in his glory) which had to cease publication in the summer of 1997 as a result of the Asian financial crisis. Like its predecessor, Asia Times Online gives its readers worldwide an overview of Asian news events, looking behind the headlines that are the staple of the news agencies and networks.

Asia Times Online is reaching a rapidly increasing global readership. Our readers are people of influence - investors, executives, diplomats, academics, journalists - who need to know about Asian political, economic and business affairs. We have become a "must read" for Westerners and Asians who do business with each other.

read 'thai at heart' seems resonable to me or would you be better of with fox news

Reasonable to me would be to at least know who it is that wrote the entry.

During the first 25 days of the rally, the PAD received 26 million baht and paid 24 million, according to the PAD's coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. During the three months, the PAD has sold 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' t-shirts for 25 million baht, according to political scientist and Sondhi Limthongkul's close associate Chai-Anan Samudavanija. And after the Government House siege, the PAD has 6.6 million baht remaining in its bank accounts, plus gold worth 1,056,000 baht, according to one of the PAD's leaders, Chamlong Srimuang.

Thailand is held together under the constitutional right that all Thai's are of the same blood and are all equal. What he truly feels in his heart he is definitely not conveying in his speeches now. We have seen what has happened in history when people did not see the facts in front of their eyes. I am not conveying any other facts than I have freely found on the web. This man is very very dangerous. I don't like corruption, I don't like vote buying, but this man is blatently gaining support by turning one class(group) on another.

Where is electoral selection leading? Who is paying for this charade? Who has a vested interest in this mess?

so a 200k profit a day and rising no doubt, good business i think 100 days 20m go on call me a cynic

Read the links. If it is only 10% true, I really don't have the words to describe how badly misled anyone could be for supporting the PAD

I was addressing the comment regarding the second link which is from a blog... which while interesting, without confirmation from a viable source, is unverifiable.. 100%.

About Prachatai

Prachatai (www.prachatai.com or www.prachathai.com ) is an independent, non-profit, daily web newspaper established in June 2004 to provide reliable and relevant news and information to the Thai public during an era of serious curbs on the freedom and independence of Thai news media.

Prachathai was established by a group of concerned Thais who include a senior member of the Press Council of Thailand, a well-known lecturer in Journalism, two members of the Thai Senate, a number of senior journalists, and a number of Thai NGO leaders.

Prachatai has a 19-member Board and a 7-member Management Committee which consists of 4 Board representatives and 3 senior staff. Since January 2006 Prachatai also been registered as a Thai non-profit foundation, named The Foundation for Community educational Media.

On September 6th 2004, Prachatai began its daily publication on the web with a staff of one editor and five reporters. At present Prachathai has a staff of 14: a Manager, Editor, Network Co-ordinator, 6 central office reporters, 3 regional reporters, a web manager, and a finance officer.

Interesting. Do you know why they use pseudonyms for their writers on some entries or don't identify the writer at all on others?

Just how do you know its a pseudonnym? and if it is maybe theres a good reason to use one. any way its as valid a point or opinion as we see on here

http://www.atimes.com/mediakit/aboutus.html

Asia Times Online http://www.atimes.com and http://www.atchinese.com, is a quality Internet-only publication that reports and examines geopolitical, political, economic and business issues. We look at these issues from an Asian perspective; this distinguishes us from the mainstream English-language media, whose reporting on Asian matters is generally by Westerners, for Westerners. Our Chinese-language edition presents our articles to Chinese readers around the world.

We are served by more than 50 correspondents and contributors in 17 Asian countries, the US, and Europe. Additional content is provided by news services and renowned think tank and investment analysts and academics.

Asia Times Online was founded in the beginning of 1999 and is incorporated and duly registered in Hong Kong. It derives its revenues from advertising and

the resale of original content to other publications and news services.

Historically, in our publication policy and editorial outlook, we are the successor of Asia Times, the Hong Kong/ Bangkok-based daily print newspaper founded in 1995 and associated with the Manager Media Group,(Amazing and it appears they gave him an interview while he was basking in his glory) which had to cease publication in the summer of 1997 as a result of the Asian financial crisis. Like its predecessor, Asia Times Online gives its readers worldwide an overview of Asian news events, looking behind the headlines that are the staple of the news agencies and networks.

Asia Times Online is reaching a rapidly increasing global readership. Our readers are people of influence - investors, executives, diplomats, academics, journalists - who need to know about Asian political, economic and business affairs. We have become a "must read" for Westerners and Asians who do business with each other.

Thank you, but as I said, I was only addressing the comment made about the second entry and not this one.

Edited by sriracha john

I'm Wondering has there been a coup today? But a silent coup.

We have had reports about Samak lifting the SoE, along with conflicting reports that he has enforced 2 more decrees giving absolute power under whatever act it is.

Anupong did a no show at a press conference this morning..., no explanation offered.

Samak has been very quiet indeed (By his standards).

All in all today (Friday) has been a bit odd in terms of what has been reported, quite suspicious in fact.

I am wondering if MAYBE Samak attempted to take absolute control, but Anupong said NO NO NO, and Samak was powerless to do anything. Perhaps Anupong is now in Power whilst reporting to his boss, the #1 boss in the land. If I am right then kudos the military for taking control of bad situation.

****Disclaimer, I may be well off the mark but I am rather drunk. And need to divert my attention to my beloved Swindon Town FC who kick off in 15 minutes*******

During the first 25 days of the rally, the PAD received 26 million baht and paid 24 million, according to the PAD's coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. During the three months, the PAD has sold 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' t-shirts for 25 million baht, according to political scientist and Sondhi Limthongkul's close associate Chai-Anan Samudavanija. And after the Government House siege, the PAD has 6.6 million baht remaining in its bank accounts, plus gold worth 1,056,000 baht, according to one of the PAD's leaders, Chamlong Srimuang.

About Prachatai

Just how do you know its a pseudonnym? and if it is maybe theres a good reason to use one. any way its as valid a point or opinion as we see on here

I know they use pseudonyms because the website said it was a pseudonym on one of the earlier blog entries you posted a link for.

Indeed, it is an opinion.... but apparently we can expect to encounter difficulty in discovering just who's opinion it is.

and while there's nothing wrong with occasionally posting the personal opinions of other people who are not thaivisa members, it should be posted with a disclaimer detailing it as such.... similar to the occasional letters to the editor that sometimes get posted.

I'm Wondering has there been a coup today? But a silent coup.

We have had reports about Samak lifting the SoE, along with conflicting reports that he has enforced 2 more decrees giving absolute power under whatever act it is.

Anupong did a no show at a press conference this morning..., no explanation offered.

Samak has been very quiet indeed (By his standards).

All in all today (Friday) has been a bit odd in terms of what has been reported, quite suspicious in fact.

I am wondering if MAYBE Samak attempted to take absolute control, but Anupong said NO NO NO, and Samak was powerless to do anything. Perhaps Anupong is now in Power whilst reporting to his boss, the #1 boss in the land. If I am right then kudos the military for taking control of bad situation.

****Disclaimer, I may be well off the mark but I am rather drunk. And need to divert my attention to my beloved Swindon Town FC who kick off in 15 minutes*******

good call i was getting very broed with what is a credited report and what is not, media is media and most are bare faced liers. swindn sorry bit sad but enjoy hope i awake tomorrow to a new happier world,as is

During the first 25 days of the rally, the PAD received 26 million baht and paid 24 million, according to the PAD’s coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. During the three months, the PAD has sold 90,000 ‘Patriotic Chinese Descendants’ t-shirts for 25 million baht, according to political scientist and Sondhi Limthongkul’s close associate Chai-Anan Samudavanija. And after the Government House siege, the PAD has 6.6 million baht remaining in its bank accounts, plus gold worth 1,056,000 baht, according to one of the PAD’s leaders, Chamlong Srimuang.

About Prachatai

I don't know is the honest answer. All I know is that Prachathai is a respected academic.The other name I can see from "about us" is Jon Ungkaporn who is universally hated, which is probably a good thing. I found the name after reading in the Post that Prachathai was criticised by PAD for being allied to the "Alliance for the poor". There is a link somewhere buried in the forum. I am an honest bloke, who has been in Thailand for 13 years, and when I see things happening like this I have learnt to understand that the leaders often have an ulterior motive for what they say.

I am no pro PPP or TRT activist. I didn't like the coup, and didn't bother to pay attention when the elections came along, knowing that PPP would win. Corruption at the ballot box absolutely must be rooted out. That has nothing to do with appointed legislatures or Phraer Vihar. I have spent more than my fair share of time with the poor all over Asia and I can't believe why would anyone take anything away from them. They have nothing other than dirt to give. I could show statistics about wealth distribution over Asia and in who's hands it lies, it is freely available.

But, what I see now with 70:30 or 50:50, and how supposedly intelligent people are actually believing that it is worth considering it as a relevant discussion is really frightening and may well split the country asunder.

Call them up if you like, they obviously aren't hiding

Mailing Address: 409 Ratchada Soi 14, Huaikwang, Bangkok, 10320 Thailand

Telephone: +66 2 690 2711

Facsimile: +66 2 690 2712

E-mail: [email protected]

About Prachatai

I know they use pseudonyms because the website said it was a pseudonym on one of the earlier blog entries you posted a link for.

Indeed, it is an opinion.... but apparently we can expect to encounter difficulty in discovering just who's opinion it is.

and while there's nothing wrong with occasionally posting the personal opinions of other people who are not thaivisa members, it should be posted with a disclaimer detailing it as such.... similar to the occasional letters to the editor that sometimes get posted.

i do think it was bleeding obvious as it was a link. that it was another person make of it what you will, the forum needed some life injecting. worked, good night.

About Prachatai

I don't know is the honest answer. All I know is that Prachathai is a respected academic.The other name I can see from "about us" is Jon Ungkaporn who is universally hated, which is probably a good thing. I found the name after reading in the Post that Prachathai was criticised by PAD for being allied to the "Alliance for the poor". There is a link somewhere buried in the forum. I am an honest bloke, who has been in Thailand for 13 years, and when I see things happening like this I have learnt to understand that the leaders often have an ulterior motive for what they say.

I am no pro PPP or TRT activist. I didn't like the coup, and didn't bother to pay attention when the elections came along, knowing that PPP would win. Corruption at the ballot box absolutely must be rooted out. That has nothing to do with appointed legislatures or Phraer Vihar. I have spent more than my fair share of time with the poor all over Asia and I can't believe why would anyone take anything away from them. They have nothing other than dirt to give. I could show statistics about wealth distribution over Asia and in who's hands it lies, it is freely available.

But, what I see now with 70:30 or 50:50, and how supposedly intelligent people are actually believing that it is worth considering it as a relevant discussion is really frightening and may well split the country asunder.

Call them up if you like, they obviously aren't hiding

Mailing Address: 409 Ratchada Soi 14, Huaikwang, Bangkok, 10320 Thailand

Telephone: +66 2 690 2711

Facsimile: +66 2 690 2712

E-mail: [email protected]

I think I sleep well tonite on that note thank you

About Prachatai

I don't know is the honest answer.

Thank you.

About Prachatai

i do think it was bleeding obvious as it was a link. that it was another person make of it what you will, the forum needed some life injecting. worked, good night.

Merely providing a link is not a disclaimer that it was the unverified personal opinion of an unknown writer.

While that may be a acceptable for General Forum threads, it's disingenuous to post it as a news article in the News Clipping Forum.

some bed time reading its interesting they are making a profit.

As a general inquiry, do most of these blog entries identify the writer with only a pseudonym or as in the case I had twice inquired about, without response, to the blog entry that permanent disorder had linked earlier that didn't contain any identification of the writer at all?

The article was written by Dr. Kasian Techapira and you can find him easily on Google being a political scientist.

Personally I think this highly intelligent Gentleman wrote a masterpiece in the link above...but, of course only for those who really see what's going on; not the PAD protesters and some others who shout and scream and do not even know who the 9 leaders of PAD are and/or stand for....

Some excerpts from Dr. Kasian Techapira from Thammasat University:

The PAD-style rally needs huge financial resources, and the fact indicates the social and economic status of its support base.

and:

To achieve its ‘decent’ political goal, the PAD is not selective of the means, or anything goes, no matter how morally or politically decent it is or not. The end justifies the means.

The PAD always justifies its means with the following:

i.The enemies are so mean and vicious that any means will do to get rid of them (PAD speaker on stage Praphan Kunmee and PAD leaders’ explanations for its raid at the NBT station).

ii.What the PAD has been defending and upholding is of the utmost importance, so much so that all other principles pale in comparison (Sondhi Limthongkul).

The PAD has therefore readily used any weapons including lèse majesté allegations, the Preah Vihear dispute, etc., to arouse people to rise up against the government and Thaksin.

I disagree with this, seeing that this is risky and dangerous to awaken violent forces that can run out of control and turn disastrous, and human beings are manipulated, victimized and martyred for the sake of the goal and belief.

and:

Now our country is on the brink of a sheer cliff, with the ‘general uprising’ of the anti-government crowd.

This is the same point where we reached on the eve of Oct 14, 1973, and May 17, 1992, and we are plunging further.

We have reached this point today because of all the minor and major mistakes, deliberately and accidentally, done by people on both sides.

Just a little further on, flames would erupt, and blood would be spilled once again.

To stop and step back from the abyss,

The government must urgently withdraw its security apparatus from encountering the PAD anywhere.

The 9 PAD leaders who have been issued arrest warrants must turn themselves in to the authorities to fight in the legal process at once.

This is so that the political and legal processes would take their course, instead of the country moving towards mayhem in which all are losers.

LaoPo

Does a State of Emergency in anyway affect what can be posted on Thai Visa.

Sure would be a lot fewer posts if only gov't sanctioned posts were allowed!

Good post. Thought about this but didn't want to seem paranoid. Believe it would take much for cencorship... Exactly what that is we can only wait and see. It's all good

Post 1698.

Does a State of Emergency in anyway affect what can be posted on Thai Visa.

Sure would be a lot fewer posts if only gov't sanctioned posts were allowed!

Good post. Thought about this but didn't want to seem paranoid. Believe it would take much for cencorship... Exactly what that is we can only wait and see. It's all good

Post 1698.

:o

I think that answers that question.

We're moving in serious times now - from a Thailand political and communal perspective, things are at a precipise, the likes of which most of WE (farang) would not be used to in our home countries.

I can't believe some of the comments coming from a bunch of farang commentators who clearly think they know what is best for this wonderful country that we choose to live in.

Keep your political statements to yourselves and try to take a neutral perspective and you may escape with some credibility - if you're lucky - but I doubt it....

Take a good hard look at yourselves and you may just be as embarassed as I am for some of you.

Then you can add to them that today, Unions around Thailand are supporting the PAD, so are people from all walks of life. I know which side I am on. I don't like what Samak has done so far in the past and I support Unions and the average working stiff, so for me, this is a no brainer which side to pick

the only good thing on the PAD - they are no socialist.

again, you keep talking about those Unions. please explain who are those "unions"? you seems to know more about them.

i doubt that we can compare them to unions in the west or see them like some kind of social working class movement like they are in the west (europe).

i think those unions of state own companies are nothing more like civil servants getting a job with good connection and if they obey well a senior position with a nice state pension. some semi elitist circle. but is just a guess. someone knows more about those unions?

anyway i don't see where unions are any good. they limit freedom, slow down progress. promote mostly nationalistic ideas and so on. and of course against a modern society in a globalized world. i can not imagine how in any part of the world a union member would welcome an immigrant. immigrants are always pose a threat to a union member. and how someone who left his home country still don't get was union is about is behind me.

ahh, now i get it. they are just against the privatisation and economic reforms, right?

sure that a ultra right wing movement want held everything in state control.

does that do any good? forget it! foreing capital is less keen to come. okay, they are no socialist, but also no capitalists. they don't want jews money greedy imperialist from dirty foreign nations of thiefs and betrayer of pure thai blood. i would be not surprise if the next step would be nationalization.

someone knows more about the economic plans of PAD, beside that they are against market liberalisation? but wouldn't nationalization the next logical step take away from the jews money greedy imperialist from dirty foreign nations of thiefs and betrayer of pure thai blood what belongs in the hand of thailand.

they seems to be just obsessed with as much state power as possible. you could call it dictatorship on all levels. how will this over dose of nationalism look like?

albania in 1983, north korea, brunei, bhutan, burma? how they want keep the wealth of the middle class? thailand don't have any petrol dollar. will we ever know it or will they kick us out. chase grünkurt the hill p or down?

for sure to keep this running thailand must become an self isolated state. brain wash the people to some non materialistic mind set and tie the nation together with superstitiousness fear of black khmer magic.

anyway beside this i would like to know more about Unions in thailand and how they are organised?

and which unions taking part? grünkurt, do you know more? do you know anything?

(Kurt, a literature tip about union movement - read "last exit brooklyn" by Hubert Selby. a must read for union lovers, you will love it and also learn so much from it)

But OMR dont forget the village headmen will tell them that nasty Mr. Abhisit will cut all their manhoods off with a pair of shears if he gets to power and that we must all chant 6 doobries for 6 months a hundred times a day and rememeber it is only since that nasty Mr. Abhisist set the shadow cabinet up that the economy had failed and thirty baht health cards stopped working so well, and if Mr. Thaksin came back the price of rice would quadruple immediately and all those nice rice miller middlemen and money lenders who are all TRT MPs would not be forced by Mr. Abhisist to rip off every farmer and it is only a dreadful lie that Mr. Abhisit wants to let all rural kids compete education to first degree level fro free and we all know that Mr. Thaksin and Mr. Samak's little plan to stop all free rural education at M3 is the real way ahead because degrees dont grow rice and they dont teach you to wai your rural master properly and show respect to the local big name mafia family and after all that is what it is all about.........

So now now OMR dont go suggesting the rural poor dont make well informed decisions at elections. After all we all know they get lots of information.... on which to base their decisions

Hammered, I agree completely with your comments (now that I know what a doobrie is).

People upcountry are not stupid and in fact, like in all countries, some are very, very smart. In the west we know that people born from the poorest of families can be CEO's of the biggest companies if given the opportunity.

Below is a link to the recent article by Chang Noi. According to Chang Noi, the people upcountry have got smart and they have learned to use their votes too well, being consistent and rational with their votes (i.e. voting for Thaksin and his incarnates).

I think that Chang Noi has it wrong. He is confusing voting intelligence with the ability to vote intelligently. I agree with your comments that pressure is put on people in the northeast to vote a certain way, regardless of whether they are paid to or not paid to. In fact, it has nothing to do with payments, but rather safety for one's self and one's family. I am very surprised that Chang Noi has not addressed this.

http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2008/09/...mocracy-is.html

Thanks for posting- Perhaps he didn't address the issue of risk for the same reason that he down played vote buying- because it is largely a myth that serves to undermine the legitimacy of votes cast in the north east. It is a good article- one that some on this forum have been arguing for three years. Democracy IS working up country- so lets try to figure out what Bangkok's problem is...

Blaze, actually it isn't working upcountry, but it has nothing to do with the intelligence or lack of intelligence of the voting community (which so many people get caught up on), nor does it having anything to do with payments (which so many more people get caught up on). The fact is, people upcountry are pressured into voting a certain way. Perhaps this is what they want anyway, but how do we know?

Do people upcountry really want a government that cares more about its survival than managing the country? Really, is that how they feel? If it is and they are the majority, then democracy has spoken. However, right now we can't say for sure, and that is the problem with the current process. Let votes be counted away from the poll sites and make sure that votes delivered to central locations are not given to just anyone because "their bosses are busy". So many tactics.

Hi OMR- if I understand your arguement correctly, it's kind of a catch 22:- if the upcountry people are genuinely voting for their party of choice (no intimidation, no vote buying) then they are voting for the survival of the gov''t rather than in the best interest of the country- so democracy isn't working.

But if they really have the best interest of the country in their heart, but are cowed/bought into voting for the govt- - democrcracy isn't working.

While I would accept the second premise as an indication that democracy is failing upcountry- I'm not so sure about the first.

I fully agree in implementing every possible measure available to ensure that votes are cast freely- without bribe or intimidation.

BUt you've left one thing out- the mess in Bangkok is not due to the fact that the elections were bought/coerced- but rather that some absolutely refuse to accept that the polls were legit. The bigger problem, I think, is how to convince the opposition that the election results truly reflect the wishes of the people.

How do you convince the losing team that the umpire wasn't crooked? And that, I think is even more of a challenge.

again, you keep talking about those Unions. please explain who are those "unions"? you seems to know more about them.

i doubt that we can compare them to unions in the west or see them like some kind of social working class movement like they are in the west (europe).

i think those unions of state own companies are nothing more like civil servants getting a job with good connection and if they obey well a senior position with a nice state pension. some semi elitist circle. but is just a guess. someone knows more about those unions?

THat is pretty much my understanding of the state enterprise unions also. The corruption in the state enterprises is notorious. That was one of the reason that Thaksin threatened to privatize a bunch of them. By the time the ministry budget had trickled down through the grasping fingers of upper management- there wasn't a lot left. Still, they do provide a measure of job security and percs that no other labor sector does. But that doesn't mean the union bosses really have a lot of consideration for their membership- rather, their role is to ensure that the gravy train isn't derailed -to serve as mediators between the workers and the bosses- and keep everything on track.

Recall also that immediately after the coup, the new gov't replaced a lot of the state enterprise 'governors' with people more in line with it's thinking- eg, Gen Saprang became head of the AOT. This may explain why we haven't heard any opposition to strike plans from the governors of those enterprises.

Edited by blaze

Scarier than Samak, a leader on record as having advocated and condoned violence?

In 1976 as interior minister, Samak used his radio programme to stir up hatred against student demonstrators at Thammasat University, intentionally disobeying the Prime Minister's orders to "stop creating divisiveness." In defending the return of dictator Field Marshal Thanom over the radio, Samak told listeners that students demonstrating against the dictator's return were 'committing suicide'.

Flash forward to the aftermath of the 1991 coup. As Deputy Prime Minister in General Suchinda's junta, Samak justified the military's brutal suppression of pro-democracy demonstrators by declaring that the government had the right to do so as long as the United States could send troops to kill people in other countries.

As for blatant divisive propaganda, this must take the biscuit

The link you cite does not appear to be the source of the economic info you provide after. Where does this info come from, please? Link?

I have wondered at whether there could be a racial component to the fight between PAD and the government. I'm not quite sure I'm really ready to ask that question, but the idea of 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' T-shirts sold makes me wonder all the more...

End of emergency near

By Aekarach Sattaburuth and Manop Thip-Osod

The state of emergency could soon be lifted but anti-government protesters expect the move would do little to ease political tension.

Full story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130437

A a lot more in story than the headline says. Worth a read.

Thai at heart, can you please make up your mind about sinister forces backing Sondhi - is it Thai sakdina elites, who disowned him once but you say he is back in their pocket again, without any shred of evidence?

Or us it Thai Chinese business (who all flocked to TRT), or is it Thai Chinese middle class? Or is it Thai generals thirsty for the war with Cambodia?

With so many contradicting theories you sound less and less plausible.

did anybody bother to read this i thought interesting

I did.

Indeed it is an interesting article and also balanced in the sense the it slams both sides equally, equally it gives neither side any credit whatsoever.

While asserting that a triumberate of soldiers and a policeman are running Bangkok...

New foreign minister

By Thanida Tansubhapol

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has nominated former Thai Ambassador to France Saroj Chavanaviraj to the palace for royal endorsement to succeed Tej Bunnag, who resigned as foreign minister on Thursday.

Full story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130429