Can We Have Pinned Thread Just For Updates On Current State Of Emergency?

Familyonthemove

A pinned thread just for factual updates on demonstrations, travel disruption, strikes and other practical impacts of the current political situation would be very useful.

Any political views or opinions should be posted in (or moved to) the many other more appropriate threads to keep the info clear and current.

A pinned thread just for factual updates on demonstrations, travel disruption, strikes and other practical impacts of the current political situation would be very useful.

Any political views or opinions should be posted in (or moved to) the many other more appropriate threads to keep the info clear and current.

:D

Mods: I 100% agree.

I am here in Greece with family/loved ones in BKK. Hard to get factual reports from news (even BBC World Service only covering the items that have 'news value', i.e. a riot or street disturbance). And most of the other news sources don't even have that.

I would appreciate a source where I can just read what is happening without wading thrrough a lot of opinon from over-excited posters (we even have people calling each other fascisits or stooges of the other political party/side on the forum).

It would be so nice just to have a place where political news items could be placed without comment allowed. Those who want to comment can do that on the General forum section, basically as they do now.

I realise the delicate problem involved with the fact that one person's information might be regarded by the other side as provocation or misinformation. However, I think the mods are already clever enough to know how to walk that tightrope without falling off either side.

Anything that can be done to just present factual information for those of us outside Thailand to follow during the current crisis would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

:o

:D

Mods: I 100% agree.

I am here in Greece with family/loved ones in BKK. Hard to get factual reports from news (even BBC World Service only covering the items that have 'news value', i.e. a riot or street disturbance). And most of the other news sources don't even have that.

I would appreciate a source where I can just read what is happening without wading thrrough a lot of opinon from over-excited posters (we even have people calling each other fascisits or stooges of the other political party/side on the forum).

It would be so nice just to have a place where political news items could be placed without comment allowed. Those who want to comment can do that on the General forum section, basically as they do now.

I realise the delicate problem involved with the fact that one person's information might be regarded by the other side as provocation or misinformation. However, I think the mods are already clever enough to know how to walk that tightrope without falling off either side.

Anything that can be done to just present factual information for those of us outside Thailand to follow during the current crisis would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

:o

In the meantime, I would suggest to you, what I am doing now....I have several pages up on my monitor at the same time and fequently refresh them.....Nation Newspaper Thailand, Bangkok Post, plus I have ASTV running all day, to see if anything exciting is happening right down at government building. (There are also many other Thai TV channels accessable over the internet...NBT, Channel 3, 5,7,11 and so on)

I am in agreement with having a sticky of just News Articles, too. (as long as the original thread stays open for people to debat e the issues, as I feel that to be an important part of the democratic process)

What do we have to do to get a response to this suggestion from the TV Mod Team ...... occupy the TV Head Office 'till our demands are met? :o

- Seems you need to make sexist or racist remarks or post a link to your business to get the Mods attention?

Come on team ..... you run the best Thailand Forum on the net - so how about a pinned and moderated thread just for updates on the current political crisis, with no politcal comments or opinions in this particular thread? It's only the biggest issue in Thailand at the moment. Apart from the new Fortuna of course.

Which incidentally is available at http//www.evenmorehelpfulthanexpatmotors.com

**This post sponsored by http//www.knowsmoreaboutthaibusinessthansunbeltasia.com**

I think this idea has some merits, I have given up reading any thread relating to PAD/Samak because you know it will only go one way, with rocks being hurled from both sides of the Maginot Line.

A factual only thread, locked and only edited by a Mod regarding this issue and anybody posting in any other thread could request moving into the locked one, so it doesn't degenerate into a potless comment and vitriol show.

Good Luck

Moss

My use of TV has dropped dramatically since it became so difficult to get News from the News forum.

I am now reading the BKKPost and Nation websites more often than I did.

I am sure it's the same for a lot of other people.

Cheers

A fine idea.

I have people abroad asking me what is going on here and I can tell them little. They worry I am here with the way the news portrays events.

Granted, where I am we do not really feel any effects at the moment but it would be good to point friends and relatives to a reliable source of information. Also somewhere for us in Thailand to be kept aware of any updates.

• 2 months later...
I am not new to the TV but have never properly understood what a 'pnned' thread really is....could you please give a quick idea? Thanks.

The forum/thread is "pinned" to the top of the list, indendent from the other threads which fluctuate their positions in the list by activity levels. This is my understanding at least. Closing it off to extraneous banter keeps it on point for communicating critical updates only.

I think this is the perfect example of when to use pinned/closed threads.

Mods - please support.

I am not new to the TV but have never properly understood what a 'pnned' thread really is....could you please give a quick idea? Thanks.

The forum/thread is "pinned" to the top of the list, indendent from the other threads which fluctuate their positions in the list by activity levels. This is my understanding at least. Closing it off to extraneous banter keeps it on point for communicating critical updates only.

I think this is the perfect example of when to use pinned/closed threads.

Mods - please support.

Thanks kindly; that makes sense.

So what is the present status of affairs in the capital? All anyone is saying in this thread is Same Same, Hear Hear. What are the facts!! What is actually happening? Can someone with access to info please post it.

So we all agree its a good idia so can we all stop wank##g about it and start it .lease

So what is the present status of affairs in the capital? All anyone is saying in this thread is Same Same, Hear Hear. What are the facts!! What is actually happening? Can someone with access to info please post it.

News Forum Read here for all things news and how to insult each others opinions.

So we all agree its a good idia so can we all stop wank##g about it and start it .lease

I think the delay could be down to the fact it might be a little onerous and time consuming, they are a little busy trying to dampen the ardour of quite a few who are pushing the boundaries, to coin a phrase.

But as I stated earlier in the thread, I whole heartedly agree with you.

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

If it hasn't been done by now (despite Buckwheat saying earlier it was being discussed) it's unlikely to be done at all. As with the political problems which sparked up this thread originally back in September, the current strife will undoubtedly die down pretty soon, rendering the pinned thread pointless. Keeping it going will be a lot of hard work for what will be a very temporary feature.

I agree it would be very useful (I'm currently not using Thaivisa at all for a news source due to the aforementioned problems, as well as frustration with sensationalist / inaccurate headlines), but this pinned thread idea is probably too much like hard work, and too impractical, for it to be implemented. So, off to the Nation & BKK Post then...

I suspect the reason it hasn't been started is due to the legal side of it. As I understand it Thai Visa dot com is a forum and not a news service. Running a pinned section on the current political situation could have ramifications and could even lead to Thai Visa being blocked.

This is only me thinking out loud (as it were) and trying to understand what is happening. I would like to hear from others as to the whys and wherefors.

Cheers Ken.

Edited by LeungKen