Fight Agains Corruption

Pierrot

It may not look so obvious now days but Hong Kong under British rules used to be a very corrupted place, with police officers at the highest level on the take and police sergeant one of the most lucrative job in the territory.

Then in 1974 was established the ICAC (Independent Commission against Corruption) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_C...ion_(Hong_Kong)

Below you find the leaflet that was handed to me two days ago by the ICAC regarding the coming election.

If the people who are now protesting in the streets are really serious in their fight against corruption, why don't they try something similar? But the question will remains, is it really corruption they're after ?

post-54001-1220347479_thumb.jpg

It may not look so obvious now days but Hong Kong under British rules used to be a very corrupted place, with police officers at the highest level on the take and police sergeant one of the most lucrative job in the territory.

Then in 1974 was established the ICAC (Independent Commission against Corruption) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_C...ion_(Hong_Kong)

Below you find the leaflet that was handed to me two days ago by the ICAC regarding the coming election.

If the people who are now protesting in the streets are really serious in their fight against corruption, why don't they try something similar? But the question will remains, is it really corruption they're after ?

that would be worth so much more if hong kong had elections for posts that really matter.... :o

Edited by Payboy

That's because a lot of the more corrupt Hong Kong Chinese are now too busy doing their thing all over the world (Thailand included).

:o

Agree with you, a solution would be to send all corrupted Thais abroad. At the same time we would definitively solve the problem of road congestion.

Great idea Heng !

That's because a lot of the more corrupt Hong Kong Chinese are now too busy doing their thing all over the world (Thailand included).

:D

Agree with you, a solution would be to send all corrupted Thais abroad. At the same time we would definitively solve the problem of road congestion.

Great idea Heng !

tempting... :o but i believe some may have already fled to london... :D

Good idea. As would an "Assets Examination Committee", also.

:o

Great idea Heng !

LOL maybe revive Australia as a penal colony!

If the people who are now protesting in the streets are really serious in their fight against corruption, why don't they try something similar?

So Thailand should be looking to China for advice on fair and ethical elections?

Yeah .... right.

But where they offered half there monthly salary to vote?

First time i have ever agreed on one of Hengs comments ( hope not the last :o )

It's really a simple thing to stop corruption. Unfortunately the first step is to really want to stop it. How many politicians can account for their wealth. Just follow the money. It's really difficult in this computer age to hide money. If it is that well hidden, what good is it if you can't spend or enjoy it?

It's really a simple thing to stop corruption. Unfortunately the first step is to really want to stop it. How many politicians can account for their wealth. Just follow the money. It's really difficult in this computer age to hide money. If it is that well hidden, what good is it if you can't spend or enjoy it?

Even when you have a "gray economy" that parallels the real one, and with so many people benefitting from it?

If a public servant earning 10,000 baht per month is living in a 10 million baht home with two Mercedes parked in the driveway, I'd say that is suspicious.

reminds me of the Chewang police cheif with his nice BMW 730 I ...... must of got a good finance package :o

If a public servant earning 10,000 baht per month is living in a 10 million baht home with two Mercedes parked in the driveway, I'd say that is suspicious.

perhaps he has a rich wife?

Good point, Thaksin's wife is VERY wealthy.

ICAC came into being as a result of a huge public outcry over a particular incident. It had a large budget and draconian powers. However, its success has been largely due to education and widespread public support, including a desire to rid Hong Kong of corruption. Until this exists in Thailand setting up something similar here would be of little use.

There is still corruption in Hong Kong, mostly in business and low level politics. But nothing like the pre ICAC days and, apart from odd one offs, not amonst Government servants. One thing that helped was paying civil servants a good wage and provinding good conditions of service.

I would like to see something done about corruption in Thailand, but the first thing that is required is a major change of culture and attitude of the public at large.