New Style Index Helmet Available Baht 1800

bobbin

While at a Mittyon Pattaya shop on Thepprasit today, I saw a new model Index as described in the heading.

Being from the New World, we do not have this style available to my knowledge. I vaguely remember reading that Snell or whoever would not give their approval. However, I have seen that German motorcycle police use it, and i think that is a good endorsement.

The face-shield and jaw-protection swing up after pressing a button. The interior padding is removable for washing and the fit is very good. Snug.

Since my Shoei is reserved for longer highway rides, I use Thai helmets for city riding and replace them every year or two. At least that is what i have been doing for 6 years now, as they get too funky after much use in this climate and the stop and go of city riding.

Since this model's padding is washable that is a plus.

Perhaps some of the European riders with some experience with this style of helmet could give some feedback on the pros and cons of a flip-up full-face helmet.

The hybrids are great for normal day to day usage. I used them back home in Europe, and if you stop and ask for something like drink some water, do the un-manly thing as ask for direction, talk to other riders etc. It's great just open it up and you have the benefit from it. On touring it's brilliant when you stop for a little sip of water or what have you. 1800 Baht and DOT sounds like a good deal.

Originally, I only knew of BMW having this, for a price of like US500. But Nolan had one, that I bought for US229, in early 2001, when it may have set around for a year. It is brilliant for eyeglass wearers. Could not get it from my local Nolan dealer here. Saw they are offered now by many brands, in the west. 1,800 is quite a fair price in Thailand.

I have given up on DOT, Snell and Euro labels in Thailand, because I do not pay 18,000 fr Showy helmets. But you should recognize heavy-duty, dense foam padding when you see it.

Many of the new Index helmets also are washing machine washable. I agree that a 1800 Baht index helmet is probably not comparable with my Shoei X-spirit. But for downtown riding I'm thinking longer of getting a helmet which makes it easier to wear a dust mask. And a hybrid helmet is maybe the answer, need to test that, and for 1800 Baht you can hardly call it expensive.

thai helmets fit poorly and have dodgy fittings.

I tried on 4 or 5 size large index helmets of the same model and they all fitted differently.

The one i bought was a MX style with a visor, problem is the visor is has sharp bends right where you look through and distorts your view badly, it would never be passed by oz 1698 standards

I also found that the polystyrene crush padding to be very very hard, which is the important thing

on a side note

an australian guy designed a cone shaped crush padding which hes is marketing to helmet makers atm

excellent idea, cones start small so in a small crash the padding can absorb the impact and if a harder impact the further the cones compress the harder they become.

a progressive function.

sorry if this is off t.

While at a Mittyon Pattaya shop on Thepprasit today, I saw a new model Index as described in the heading.

Being from the New World, we do not have this style available to my knowledge. I vaguely remember reading that Snell or whoever would not give their approval. However, I have seen that German motorcycle police use it, and i think that is a good endorsement.

The face-shield and jaw-protection swing up after pressing a button. The interior padding is removable for washing and the fit is very good. Snug.

Since my Shoei is reserved for longer highway rides, I use Thai helmets for city riding and replace them every year or two. At least that is what i have been doing for 6 years now, as they get too funky after much use in this climate and the stop and go of city riding.

Since this model's padding is washable that is a plus.

Perhaps some of the European riders with some experience with this style of helmet could give some feedback on the pros and cons of a flip-up full-face helmet.

I have had one of these index models for about 18 months now, they are quiet good apart from the screws that hold the visor latches on keep coming loose.

I have had one of these index models for about 18 months now, they are quiet good apart from the screws that hold the visor latches on keep coming loose.

Sorry but for me as part-time inhabitant it would be helpful to know where to get such a helmet (e.g. in BKK-Region, Buriram Region)

Thanks.

I have a Zeus full-face to 3/4 flip-up, and it's been my favourite helmet so far. I bought it in Canada (I know there is someone on here that is looking for Zeus in Th.), if Index is making one now it would make a great backup! I wonder how long until we can see it at the Tesco?

I almost gave up to look for helmets in Thailand. I ordered now a helmet from the US through a dealer. It might take months, but I am sick of paying money for 4rd class helmets of low quality. One's head deserves good protection anyway!

Cheers

I almost gave up to look for helmets in Thailand. I ordered now a helmet from the US through a dealer. It might take months, but I am sick of paying money for 4rd class helmets of low quality. One's head deserves good protection anyway!

Cheers

I fully agree with Moo9, I also ordered a Shoei from US for a realistic price <300 $ same lid in Thailand is easy 20k baht +. Actually the shipping is not that slow either. I usually get my stuff within 2 weeks, and if you shipper is good he put down the value as well.

I have an index helmet I use for shopping in the area and leave it on the bike, if someone steals it it's not a big deal. However all the Thai made helmets I have tried have poor fittings, and is made for round heads, so anyone with a typical western oval head will get a squeeze in your forehead. I don't mind for 5 - 10 minute trip but anything longer I need something which fits properly. I checked out the Index flip top, and again it squeezed my head, so no thanks.