Re- Claiming Vat At Airport

whatsoever

Has anyone claimed a VAT refund - for goods purchased in Thailand - at the airport? What is the proceedure? I have the Tax/Invoice receipt but i am wondering if the Thais may add some additionl BS when it comes to actually handing money back to a ferang. (Just doesnt seem right - thais actually giving something back)

it works...farang or not.follow the details on the tourist refund form when u buy something without the form you can forget it.

Go to customs point before checkin get them to stamp it..show the goods.

check in...

go to departure area.

go to refund counter collect your cash.

Done it many times for values of 10k+ refund in cash - no issues.

Edited by dekka007

it works...farang or not.follow the details on the tourist refund form when u buy something without the form you can forget it.

Go to customs point before checkin get them to stamp it..show the goods.

check in...

go to departure area.

go to refund counter collect your cash.

Done it many times for values of 10k+ refund in cash - no issues.

When i bought the item i received a receipt on sellors offical paper. States: Tax/Invoice Receipt - and shows pruchase price with VAT paid. However i dont have tourist refund form. Can i get one from elsewhere?

Thanks

It is a little tedious and confusing for getting the VAT refund for first timers. You have to pass all the check in counters (with your luggage) and hand in the form at a fairly well hidden office at the back end of the arrival hall. The VAT office gives you a stamped form, where you can get cash after you check in, and then exit the arrival hall (so called exiting Thailand) and you are in the area where the duty free is, and then you take the form to a bank exchange and receive your refund.

You should arrive well ahead of your scheduled departure, as it could take quite a while if there are people ahead of you.

To be very clear: you must go to the tax office at the airport BEFORE you check in as you may be required to show the items (never happened to me). Also, when shopping, take your passport as some shops will ask to see it.

I find the procedure straight forward and no hassle at all. And we are talking cash back here (to be promptly blown in the Duty Free shops).

To be very clear: you must go to the tax office at the airport BEFORE you check in as you may be required to show the items (never happened to me). Also, when shopping, take your passport as some shops will ask to see it.

I find the procedure straight forward and no hassle at all. And we are talking cash back here (to be promptly blown in the Duty Free shops).

They must of changed it for swampy then as the times I did it in DM the only counter was airside. It's the same in Singapore also - office being airside that is.

But as had been said it's very straight forward just provide your reciept and form and they'll give you the cash.

The one point is that has been mentioned but not made clear on this thread is you can only claim back VAT on purchases 10,000baht and over. Personally I think this is a bit high - 5k or 7.5k baht would be a bit more realistic but the 10k is probably there to reduce their workload! :o

The airport is straight forward but I often wonder how I'd claim back VAT on things I buy on my trips from Laos returning via Friendship Bridge . . . does anyone know about that?

I do it at DM several times (when I was a tourist, can't do it now) and the inspection counter where you had the goods inspected and the forms stamped was before check in, the counter airside was only to get your money.

Never any hassles except for the queues but I've never seen anyone at the refund window in Swampy.

• 8 months later...

hi.

hope to get some assistance.

i bought a laptop in bkk, and would like to claim vat at suvarnabhumi.

i dun intend to bring the box with me. just the laptop only.

will this create any unnecessary issues for vat refund?

thanks.

But as had been said it's very straight forward just provide your reciept and form and they'll give you the cash.

The form (P.P. 10) is the one key thing to know about. For the first time ever I bought enough big things to qualify the last trip, but I hadn't had the forms done. It looks like your forms can be done only with 2,000 baht per day per store minimum. So pool your purchases.

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/howwill.html

I'd like to know how many people qualify for this:

"2. Refund amount exceeding 30,000 baht, will be made by bank draft or credit to your credit card account."

thanks.

The box was not needed when I did the vat refund procedure for a netbook in March '09.

Oh yes you right on this one.

At the old airport, presenting a notebook to the VAT for refund.

She smile and said can not do, you have to clear item before customs (long wait)

She was so happy about that, but she did not count I have a friend working for kingpower who took the item and went to the inspection counter for stamps and bring it back to me.

She was furious to give me a refund! Like if I was steeling money from THAILAND

I decide from this time, I will not buy any laptop / mobile phone in this country and will purchases during a oversea trip

I did exactly that a couple of months ago and had no problem, carried the laptop they just asked if that was the one and stamped my form.

Once air-side just went to the refund desk where I was paid out, did not have to go to an exchange desk as was suggested by shepsi.

At the old airport no problem and was paid out in cash 84,000 baht.

I did have the VAT Refund Form, with my passport number on. all done at the Rolex Shop all the serial numbers were printed on the Form, and they did ask to see them, but no problem and very simple.

I did exactly that a couple of months ago and had no problem, carried the laptop they just asked if that was the one and stamped my form.

Once air-side just went to the refund desk where I was paid out, did not have to go to an exchange desk as was suggested by shepsi.

appreciate heaps.

Net of the VAT refund, did you all get a good deal on laptops versus your home countries?

I was looking at cameras and they are more expensive than in the US. But a lot of the difference is the VAT, which didn't occur to me until right now.

• 2 months later...

Shop at stores that display the blue, white and red "VAT REFUND" signs. They are efficient and give you an official brochure which explains the rules and procedures. 2000 baht minimum per item purchase with total minimum purchase of 5000 baht.

There is 100 baht processing fee paid at time of redemption. Incidentially, the brochure is in Japanese, Chinese, German,

French, Korean, English and of course Thai.

I did the refund thing twice, without any hassle.

first time I brought a camera and a video camera home that I had purchased at Carrefour. They have a service counter where you fill in a form with your details and passport number, and they print the documents that are necessary at the Tax office near the Check-in area at Suvarnabumi.

In the Tax office you have to show them the documents and the purchased goods that you plan to reclaim VAT for. After they stamp the documents, and after you check in, you can claim the money at a counter near the Duty free area.

Second time, 6 months ago, I bought a nice high end laptop in Pantip Plaza.

Brought it home same way: documents filled in at the counter of the shop; before departure I took it out of the box and in to a rucksack on departure. The box i filled it with other stuff and brought it separately in my main luggage.

This time, the officer at the Tax office just stamped the form without asking to see the goods. It would not have been a problem to do that anyway, but I was in and out in minutes.

Did I make a profit? Yes. The laptop with the same configuration would have cost me 800 euro in my home country. We have 19% VAT :D

I bought it for 28500 THB; roughly speaking 570 euro, and with 2 GB extra RAM added to it in the shop.

The Tax refund was around 2200 THB, so another 40 euro discount on my laptop purchase. Coool... :D

However, at the arrival airport, don't forget to go through the 'green', nothing to declare gate :)

At no time I have seen a queue, all went pretty swiftly.

I found this thread searching for VAT REFUND and just now noticed it's in the airport forum. Well, I'll ask anyway...

I bought a laptop in BKK in May and on June 13th I left via the Koh Samui airport to Singapore. I went to the VAT refund counter, all was OK only I didn't get cash, I had to give them a credit card account for them to send my refund to (roughly 1000 baht). They said it would take 30 days but of course, almost 2 months later I haven't seen it and that's why I'm writing. Is it safe to say I just got screwed over? Or is there some way to get it back? I'm in Thailand again but flying out via Suvarnabhumi on Wednesday. If I bring any paperwork I have to the VAT refund counter would they be able to help?

I feel silly asking these questions because TIT and all that - but what the heck.

I found this thread searching for VAT REFUND and just now noticed it's in the airport forum. Well, I'll ask anyway...

I bought a laptop in BKK in May and on June 13th I left via the Koh Samui airport to Singapore. I went to the VAT refund counter, all was OK only I didn't get cash, I had to give them a credit card account for them to send my refund to (roughly 1000 baht). They said it would take 30 days but of course, almost 2 months later I haven't seen it and that's why I'm writing. Is it safe to say I just got screwed over? Or is there some way to get it back? I'm in Thailand again but flying out via Suvarnabhumi on Wednesday. If I bring any paperwork I have to the VAT refund counter would they be able to help?

I feel silly asking these questions because TIT and all that - but what the heck.

I do not think you can do a lot for your claim, without getting more agro about loosing your time.

Perhaps if you want, you could but your own post, internet and its forums have done the most damage to the tourists industry:

Showing the real picture of many scams

But for sure, please put a reply if you do get your refund in the end, late or by your own resource !

Yo!

I'm buying a camera, phone and a laptop and will apply for the VAT-refund. I dont wanna bring the goods back to home, because dont wanna fight with my customs officers back at home, and I will return quite quickly in just a couple weeks anyways.

As I've read this thread, one needs to get the stamp, and sometimes show the goods, before checking in. After this, can I give the goods to my wife and go to the check in counter and continue through check-in, immigration and go to the refund counter at the tax-free zone? I guess they wont/cannot check the goods at the refund counter after the check-in, as obviously the passengers could have checked the goods in with their luggage?

Am I right? has anyone done this? I guess it should work ok, no hazzle..

• 6 months later...

Is there a limit on the time between making the purchase and leaving the country? Is 5 weeks too long?

Does the type of visa affect the possibility of a refund? For example, might a holder of a non-immigrant visa be considered ineligible?

Is there a limit on the time between making the purchase and leaving the country? Is 5 weeks too long?

Does the type of visa affect the possibility of a refund? For example, might a holder of a non-immigrant visa be considered ineligible?

Visa type is not a factor, yes there is a time limit, 30 days I believe, I have been burned on this one, bought too early from the departure date.

• 9 months later...

The VAT refund is for tourists, so if you're not on a tourist visa it's unlikely you'll get it back.

Hey PattayaParent... Where did you get the above information from... Also, your statement contradicts.. alstaxi..

Visa type is not a factor, yes there is a time limit, 30 days I believe, I have been burned on this one, bought too early from the departure date.

Also, in here there is no mention of visa types..

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/index.html

And, another one contradicts..

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/index.html (see the last question).

CAN SOMEONE VERIFY THIS.. and provide clear direction.

Visa Type matter or not???.. or is there any loop hole to claim VAT if you are holding Non-Immigrant Visa.

Thanks.

Edited by ihightower