Sending Stuff To Thailand

gary773

Hi,

I need to ship some personal stuff to Thailand as I will be moving there.

Anyone know of a cost effective way or recommend any companies that may help?

Thanks.

G

Maybe a silly question, but from where to Thailand?

To get a meaningful answer to your question, please could you post as to how much stuff you are sending (how many m3) and what is it? (e.g. furniture, books, hi-fi, papers, clothes, CDs).

Also do you have/plan to get, a work permit?

Hi,

Thanks.

G

Firstly you need the correct visa. I got a quote not so long ago. The most cost effective method is by sea.

Here is the quote I got for a container (7'6" x 7' x 5'2") (250cft):

We now have the destination costs back from Thailand and can offer the following based on 1 case at the sizes given in your request below.

From collected xxx in Hampsjire to arrival Bangkok port uncleared.....GBP 373.00

Destination costs from arrival Bangkok port to delivered at xxx (370 km from Bangkok) ....GBP 390.00

Destination costs exclude any import duty tax, vat, customs exam if required etc.

This quote is almost 9 months old now.

PM me if you want the the company name or just google for a selection of companies.

I hope this helps :o

Edited by maprao

Hi,

Thanks.

G

Have a look at http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ they seem fairly competitive pricewise. Whoever you go with make sure you send your belongings and get a quote 'Door to Door' and NOT just to a port in Thailand. A 'door to port' price might look the cheaper option but you will pay far more than the difference in 'tea money' to various people getting your possesions through Thai customs etc. I know from experience how much it costs in 'tea money'. I found the company I've suggested for a friend after my problems and the price they quote 'door to door' is the full cost and there are no hidden extras but it takes about six weeks for your things to arrive here. They will also provide free packing cases if required.

Got a Thai partner?

If yes, then shipping the goods in their name can avoid a lot of import duties. The shipping company will know the ins and outs of this and provide the necessary forms. It also sidesteps work permit/visa issues that would come into play if the goods are shipped in your name.

Once you have a one year extension on your visa, based on your work permit,

your goods can be imported duty free.

Any other situation you must expect to pay duty.

However look around for a good forwarding agent in Thailand

they will be able to "negotiate" a fixed fee for the importation. :o

I shipped 17 boxes of personal possessions from the UK to Thailand in April this year... I used the UK company Simpsons Removal and Storage ltd. ( based in Dartford, Kent ). They arrived on time at my address in North london, took my pre packed boxes, (Though they do supply boxes and pack your stuff for you if you need that done), and delivered them to my Thailand address about eleven weeks later. The consignment included a desktop computer and peripherals, Books, a collection of miniature figures, glassware and other items. Everything arrived intact, the computer booted up happily first try, none of the glasses were broken, and nothing was missing from the consignment. At the Thailand end, the customs clearance and delivery was handled by a company called United re-locations Ltd, and their customs fixer negotiated a low duty fee for the computer peripherals that came to about 900 baht. That was the only duty that I had to pay, as I entered Thailand on a full O/A non immigrant visa, and therefore all my household goods were exempt from duty, with the exception of any electrical goods after the first Item, (Which I designated as the computer itself)

I paid for insurance, and had no need to make a claim. I was very happy with the service, my quote from Simpsons was accurate and actual, even though I had to revise the number of boxes to be sent several times. The quote was based on the dimensions and weight of the bozes... no complex volumetric computations involved. The service was arranged at the last minute, and had there been any delays it could have proved disasterous. In the event, there were none.

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend Simpsons to anyone contemplating shipping goods to Thailand. They can be contacted on www.simpsonsuk.com or 44(0)1322386969

I had tried to contact sevenseasworldwide... but they didn't respond to my enquiries by e-mail. As such, I didn't deal with them.

Murg

Edited by Murgatroyd

I shipped 17 boxes of personal possessions from the UK to Thailand in April this year... I used the UK company Simpsons Removal and Storage ltd. ( based in Dartford, Kent ). They arrived on time at my address in North london, took my pre packed boxes, (Though they do supply boxes and pack your stuff for you if you need that done), and delivered them to my Thailand address about eleven weeks later. The consignment included a desktop computer and peripherals, Books, a collection of miniature figures, glassware and other items. Everything arrived intact, the computer booted up happily first try, none of the glasses were broken, and nothing was missing from the consignment. At the Thailand end, the customs clearance and delivery was handled by a company called United re-locations Ltd, and their customs fixer negotiated a low duty fee for the computer peripherals that came to about 900 baht. That was the only duty that I had to pay, as I entered Thailand on a full O/A non immigrant visa, and therefore all my household goods were exempt from duty, with the exception of any electrical goods after the first Item, (Which I designated as the computer itself)

I paid for insurance, and had no need to make a claim. I was very happy with the service, my quote from Simpsons was accurate and actual, even though I had to revise the number of boxes to be sent several times. The quote was based on the dimensions and weight of the bozes... no complex volumetric computations involved. The service was arranged at the last minute, and had there been any delays it could have proved disasterous. In the event, there were none.

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend Simpsons to anyone contemplating shipping goods to Thailand. They can be contacted on www.simpsonsuk.com or 44(0)1322386969

I had tried to contact sevenseasworldwide... but they didn't respond to my enquiries by e-mail. As such, I didn't deal with them.

Murg

How much was the shipment in volume/weight? If you do not mind a rough idea of what it cost to ship excluding the 900Baht excise duty? (but including the handling firm in Thailand to clear customs).

Thanks

Edited by maprao

Once you have a one year extension on your visa, based on your work permit,

your goods can be imported duty free.

Any other situation you must expect to pay duty.

However look around for a good forwarding agent in Thailand

they will be able to "negotiate" a fixed fee for the importation. :o

Astral, the Customs website says :

....are qualified under the requirements listed below:

....provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department.

Does that mean a 1 year non-immigrant visa or an annual extension of stay based on business?

Under the documentation heading though, they go on to say they require:

# The letter issued by the Immigration Department confirming that an annual temporary stay is granted;

# A one-year (or more) work permit issued by the Department of Labor;

So do we take it that one needs a ONE YEAR NON-IM VISA with ANNUAL EXTENSION OF STAY based on business, plus A WORK PERMIT valid for min 1 year?

I remember talk of 1 year work permits coming available on a 1 year non-im visa WITHOUT annual extension of stay. Is it the case that the annual extension of stay is "definitely" req.?