Tourists Cancelling Travel Plans

photojourn

There's an article and poll on Thailand Travel Online that says tourists are already canceling their travel plans because of the current political situation (http://www.thailand-travelonline.com/thailand-forum/index.php?topic=36.0)

In part is says: "Thailand may fail to meet its target of 15.7 million foreign tourist arrivals this year after several foreign governments issued travel alerts advising their citizens to postpone travel to the country unless necessary as political turmoil in the capital increases.

The analysis is contained in the latest newsletter from Travel Mole, the travel industry's largest online community for the travel and tourism industry.

In it's latest briefing document it says airlines and hotels have already reported cancellations following the state of emergency imposed by Thailand' Prime Minister following clashes between pro- and anti-government rivals that left one dead and dozens injured."

According to Thailand Travel Online, "Apichart Sankary, President of the Association of Thai Travel Agents said 'The global economy has already delayed travel decisions. If the situation can't be resolved by the middle of this month, we will lose a lot of tourists.'"

Anyone else read this?

Anyone already feeling the effects?

I got a friend working at some hotel. He said that there have been a lot of room cancellation since the protests. I wish that this would end soon or Thailand will face a massive setback. :o

The hotel business in Thailand has been somewhat sad for quite a while prior to the current political unrest.

Don't know if it's just the global credit crunch or the if the problems in BKK are already influencing things but in my motorcycle rent shop in Chiang Mai, this month has started very very quietly, and the whole city from a tourist level point of view. I'm preparing myself for a very low "high season"....... :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Arrived at Suvarnabhumi around 8pm last night. No lines at immigration, baggage arrived in 10 minutes and when I walked out to the public area there were only a couple of people standing around. No line at the taxi counter and light traffic all the way home. Quickest I've ever made it home.

this week is a change over in tourist the summer tourist have gone to put there kids back in school,the next lot alwats come in around the 7th ,not sure but i think the fares get a little cheaper around then too,lets not panic just yet guys..

Oh well Thailand. Better you put your long tortuous struggle towards something resembling true democracy here, you're putting off punters who want to come and sit on your beaches and play with your bargirls. Dear Lord. Don't you understand you are, after all, simply grown ups' Disneyland.

Well can't blame tourists... PAD's actions have been irresponsible, one thing to protest, another to interfere with utilities, airports, block roads ect.

It seems that the way to protest today is to hit them where it hurts. Their pockets. PAD is not a terrorist organization (from what I can tell), but the tactics are the same. Mess up the economy.

I can't figure out who are the good guys or the bad guys in all this, but I can see PAD's reasoning on wanting him to resign.

Tourists could be the harbinger of what is to follow: as Burma knows, the sanctions will follow if Thailand gives in to authoritarian gang wrongly named "PAD".

This is just that tourists are the first to boycott the place before bigger sanctions are introduced.

Let's see how that guy who is trying to rent out a 1BR condo for 60,000B per month goes. Real estate may be the next victim.

Tourists could be the harbinger of what is to follow: as Burma knows, the sanctions will follow if Thailand gives in to authoritarian gang wrongly named "PAD".

This is just that tourists are the first to boycott the place before bigger sanctions are introduced.

Let's see how that guy who is trying to rent out a 1BR condo for 60,000B per month goes. Real estate may be the next victim.

Boycott normally indicates a protest by people/group avoiding the product,service, country, etc. to coerce some kind of change. In Thailand's case I think the tourists are staying away solely out of personal safety fears.

I doubt that the US would impose any Burma-like sanctions on Thailand because of the PAD protests. Many Thais argue that the TRT/PPP etc have been proved corrupt in taking over the govt (see recent court cases and EC rulings) and that the TRT/PPP should step aside for new elections.

I agree that the two biggest victims in this protest will be anything tourist-related (right now) and real estate (esp hotels) in the not too distant future. I had some tourist friends visit Bangkok last week and they were buying things at Suan Lum Night Bazaar at 1/3 the asking prices without prolonged negotiations. I had not seen that situation recently.

Boycott normally indicates a protest by people/group avoiding the product,service, country, etc. to coerce some kind of change. In Thailand's case I think the tourists are staying away solely out of personal safety fears.

I doubt that the US would impose any Burma-like sanctions on Thailand because of the PAD protests. Many Thais argue that the TRT/PPP etc have been proved corrupt in taking over the govt (see recent court cases and EC rulings) and that the TRT/PPP should step aside for new elections.

I agree that the two biggest victims in this protest will be anything tourist-related (right now) and real estate (esp hotels) in the not too distant future. I had some tourist friends visit Bangkok last week and they were buying things at Suan Lum Night Bazaar at 1/3 the asking prices without prolonged negotiations. I had not seen that situation recently.

Thailand

Worse than a coup

Sep 4th 2008

From The Economist print edition

An authoritarian rabble should not be allowed to turf out a deeply flawed but popularly elected government

EPASTANDING up for democracy sometimes entails standing up for some unappealing democrats. Thailand’s pugnacious prime minister, Samak Sundaravej, is an especially hard man to defend. A ferocious rightist, Mr Samak was accused of inciting the policemen and vigilantes who slaughtered dozens of unarmed student protesters in Bangkok in 1976. On becoming prime minister following the election last December that restored democratic rule after a 2006 coup, Mr Samak chose for his cabinet some of the most unsavoury figures linked to the government of Thaksin Shinawatra, the prime minister deposed in the coup. But with the army on the streets of Bangkok again, Mr Samak is for once, if not in the right, then at least less wrong than those calling for his head.

His government is deeply flawed. But it would be wrong and dangerous if the authoritarian rabble who have seized Government House in Bangkok forced it out of office. After violent clashes between supporters and opponents of the government, Mr Samak this week declared a state of emergency in Bangkok. The army chief backed his decision, but by mid-week was still ruling out the use of force to clear the squatters out. If the protesters, the woefully misnamed People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), do succeed, democracy in Thailand—not so long ago a beacon, by Asian standards, of pluralistic politics—will be in grave danger.

Some in the crowds at PAD rallies are liberals, appalled both at the abuses of power in Mr Thaksin’s government and the sad signs that Mr Samak’s is no better. The PAD’s leaders, however, are neither liberals nor democrats. A gruesome bunch of reactionary businessmen, generals and aristocrats, they demand not fresh elections, which they would lose, but “new politics”—in fact a return to old-fashioned authoritarian rule, with a mostly appointed parliament and powers for the army to step in when it chooses. They argue that the rural masses who favour Mr Thaksin and Mr Samak are too “ill-educated” to use their votes sensibly. This overlooks an inconvenient electoral truth: the two prime ministers had genuinely popular policies, such as cheap health care and credit.

One paragraph removed. Me, TTM, had to censor The Economist. Their site economist.com site has the complete article

In the official version of modern Thai history, the king is the great defender of peace and democracy, who comes to the rescue at moments of crisis. Now would seem to be one such moment: some wise words from the king could do much to defuse tension. Thais like to believe they are good at seeking compromise to avoid conflict. But there has been little sign of compromise in the past three years, and there is now the risk of a bad one. The elected government might be forced out of office to pacify the PAD’s demagogues, it might be made to share power with the undeserving opposition Democrat party, which has shown little leadership while waiting for power to be handed it on a plate, or, as in Bangladesh, a civilian front might provide a cloak for de facto military rule.

It is just possible to imagine a decent compromise in which Mr Samak gives way to a more emollient figure from the ruling coalition—and the PAD and its supporters in the army, the bureaucracy and (if they exist) the royal palace accept the verdict of the people. But the PAD’s leaders may well not stop until they have imposed their own, undemocratic vision of Thailand. In this sense they are even more pernicious than the coupmakers of 2006, who at least promised to restore elected government and, under popular pressure, did so.

Prosperous, modern and open, Thailand has so far inhabited a different era from the dark ages in which its dismal neighbour, Myanmar, languishes under a thuggish, isolationist junta. Thailand’s foreign friends should make clear to the Thai elite that toppling elected governments would be a step backwards. As Myanmar has found, it might also court sanctions. Foreign tourists, seeing the unchecked disorder on their television screens, including blockades of some airports, may soon be imposing a boycott of their own.

Edited by think_too_mut

Let's keep the perspective. As others suggested, there were problems before the current protests. Airfare/fuel costs. Violence against tourists. Etc. As far as the current protests, they aren't even on the radar on places like the US State Dept. travel warnings. This seems to be a pretty clear indication that the protest problems are highly localized, and the declines in tourism are maybe only slightly correlated at most.

The US or UK or any other large nation aren't about to impose any kind of sanctions against Thailand. Regardless of the political problems, it is a relatively stable, productive democratic nation in a region full of unstable, less productive, non-democratic nations. The US, UK and others will act so as to protect their economic and political interests.

I doubt that the US would impose any Burma-like sanctions on Thailand because of the PAD protests.

But if they get it their way? Where would that lead?

You understand what they want? 70% of the Parliament to be nominated, not elected, as they know they have no appeal to the masses and must be installed by a decree.

There's an article and poll on Thailand Travel Online that says tourists are already canceling their travel plans because of the current political situation (http://www.thailand-travelonline.com/thailand-forum/index.php?topic=36.0)

In part is says: "Thailand may fail to meet its target of 15.7 million foreign tourist arrivals this year after several foreign governments issued travel alerts advising their citizens to postpone travel to the country unless necessary as political turmoil in the capital increases.

The analysis is contained in the latest newsletter from Travel Mole, the travel industry's largest online community for the travel and tourism industry.

In it's latest briefing document it says airlines and hotels have already reported cancellations following the state of emergency imposed by Thailand' Prime Minister following clashes between pro- and anti-government rivals that left one dead and dozens injured."

According to Thailand Travel Online, "Apichart Sankary, President of the Association of Thai Travel Agents said 'The global economy has already delayed travel decisions. If the situation can't be resolved by the middle of this month, we will lose a lot of tourists.'"

Anyone else read this?

Maybe this chap, Apichart Sankary, can talk to TAT and ask them WHY the TAT doesn't supply the official statistics anymore !

It's a shame and I'll bet they're hiding the truth...

:D

It's IMPOSSIBLE to find the 2008 statistics, not even for January 2008.

"Thailand Tourism Statistics 2008----------------There is not Thailand Tourism Statistics of this year."

http://www2.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_tts.php?Year=2008

Why not Mr. TAT - something to hide ? :o

LaoPo

I've had a few calls and emails from overseas friends, wondering if everything was ok - and I always have to explain to them that the demonstrations occur in a small part of Bangkok, with some airports in the South occasionally having to suspend service.

I'd say it was plainly clear that the recent activity has cast a shadow of doubt on people thinking about visiting Thailand. They do not view it in the same way as we residents do.

Having said that, on a number of occasions I've been invited to visit Tel Aviv - and all I can think of is that there used to be a lot of unusual activity there as well - while my friends there keep telling me that everything is normal.

In an article I read today it was mentioned that arrivals at Suvarnabhumi are down 33% since the delcaration of the state of emergency in Bangkok. Not sure if those figures are year-year or last week/this week?

With higher airefares, and no drop in fuel surcharges, obviously fewer people are flying longer distances. Add on the political issues here and it's not surprising that the fall-off is dramatic. And it can take a long time to re-fill the pipeline with tourists as they may have cancelled any trip or decided to go elsewhere, perhaps closer to home.

I wonder if the King will act ?

I am afraid, the divisions within the Thai society are too deep, even tectonic.

1 city country, the city of BKK where the elite is mostly concentrated, just screams for more say.

They can hardly accept any popular vote that represents the country as a whole, while they stand no chance of winning any elections.

That is what is happening now. And will continue.

Anyone else read this?

:o

You have to understand that many embessy/consulates are just doing their job and warning their citizens of possible problems in Bangkok and Thailand with the continuing protests for tourists traveling to Thailand. Therefore, tourists cancel the flights they had planned.

It is just human nature, that when your government puts out an official warning on possible problems in the country you were planning to travel to, you think again about your vacation plans.

I know that the U.K, Singapore and South Korea have issued such warnings. Some tourists from those countries are bound to think again, and maybe cancel their planned holiday.

Anyone else read this?

:o

You have to understand that many embessy/consulates are just doing their job and warning their citizens of possible problems in Bangkok and Thailand with the continuing protests for tourists traveling to Thailand. Therefore, tourists cancel the flights they had planned.

It is just human nature, that when your government puts out an official warning on possible problems in the country you were planning to travel to, you think again about your vacation plans.

I know that the U.K, Singapore and South Korea have issued such warnings. Some tourists from those countries are bound to think again, and maybe cancel their planned holiday.

Also, although its been a long time since I have taken out holiday insurance, that used to be an issue as well. If a Government does declare certain types of travel advisory notices and you travel anyway, your holiday insurance may be invalid in some cases. I am lucky enough to live here now and know the situation is not that bad. However, if I were looking to book an annual care free holiday, I would not wish to go to a country that had this sort of aggravation - who needs it!

Its a great shame for the Thai people. The English News station here in Pattaya stated tourism was down by 20 percent in the low season. What this figure is measured against and includes I really don't know, but it sounds bad.

I have advised my friends to delay travel plans if possible. I really don't see much physical danger but it is certainly possible that communication and services could be affected. Staying in a nice hotel without communications, water or electricity would not be much of a holiday.People "AGAINST" democracy are determined to kill the democratic process in Thailand. Shame on the Thai people if they allow the PAD lunatic leaders to depose the government.

Let's keep the perspective. As others suggested, there were problems before the current protests. Airfare/fuel costs. Violence against tourists. Etc. As far as the current protests, they aren't even on the radar on places like the US State Dept. travel warnings. This seems to be a pretty clear indication that the protest problems are highly localized, and the declines in tourism are maybe only slightly correlated at most.

The US or UK or any other large nation aren't about to impose any kind of sanctions against Thailand. Regardless of the political problems, it is a relatively stable, productive democratic nation in a region full of unstable, less productive, non-democratic nations. The US, UK and others will act so as to protect their economic and political interests.

But here in Australia the govt is going way overboard giving out misinformation about tourists being attacked in Bkk, and advising against travelling to thailand,we notified centrelink about our thailand trip, a caring member of staff advised us all about the dangers that lurk around everycorner in Bkk, and to beware of the vicious riot police, when we asked about her last visit to thailand she replied Oh I never leave australia!! surely eventually commonsense will prevail :o

Maybe this chap, Apichart Sankary, can talk to TAT and ask them WHY the TAT doesn't supply the official statistics anymore !

It's a shame and I'll bet they're hiding the truth...

It's IMPOSSIBLE to find the 2008 statistics, not even for January 2008.

"Thailand Tourism Statistics 2008----------------There is not Thailand Tourism Statistics of this year."

http://www2.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_tts.php?Year=2008

Why not Mr. TAT - something to hide ? :o

LaoPo

Or maybe there are no 2008 stats as 2008 hasn't finished yet? The full stats always some out around March / April the following year. So expect to see 2008 stats, for the full year, in 6-7 months time.

Marriot in Phuket have reported 4.5 Million USD of cancellations for September ( mostly corporate bookings )

And a friend of deals with the Korean market lost 400 Bookings for this month and has seen his High Season bookings go from 100% to 50 %!!