Gas Bbq On Condo Outside Balcony

jm49er1

i own a condo in Pattaya and have been using a LPG gas BBQ to cook ribs etc on my condo balcony - i was told by the condo management that gas BBQ's are not permitted - does anyone know if this is ok in other condo buildings in the Bangkok or Pattaya area?

The management of my condominium banned LPG about three years ago following a drunken 'farang' inspired gas explosion in a nearby condominium.

At the time I was a bit annoyed; because it meant sending all my LPG gear 'up north' however now I think it was for the best.

The problem is, insurance often won't pay up for damage done, and Thais and 'farang' are either dead and injured or won't pay up either.

However I have realised that alternatives are O.K. ie electric and even charcoal burners on the balcony make tasty snacks.

Our condo off soi Arunothai also bans LPG cylinders but most people still have and use them. Sometimes people have LPG cylinders replaced empty for full and as the guys bring them in security don't challenge it and turn a blind eye to it. I've stayed in 3 different rooms here and 2 out of 3 had LPG. Depends how strict your condo management enforces the rule.

Ling

My condominium bans the use of gas too, I certainly agree with this and would not think that BBQ's on the balcony should be allowed.

It is easy to police the rules by stopping people bringing gas on site, once you start bending the rules where will it stop?

BB

I believe that this is actually a serious infringement of the law. Don't do it.

If you object to it then speak to your Condo Co-owners Commitee and point this out.

Good point. You dont want dramas over a burnt sausage

No idea, but I do know that if any of my neighbours ever lights up a stinking smoky charcoal barbecue, he will quickly discover that it is raining very heavily on his balcony! :D

Is it the cooking smell or the possible explosion that bothers you most?

I didn't know charcoal barbecues could explode? :o

No idea, but I do know that if any of my neighbours ever lights up a stinking smoky charcoal barbecue, he will quickly discover that it is raining very heavily on his balcony! :D

Is it the cooking smell or the possible explosion that bothers you most?

I didn't know charcoal barbecues could explode? :D

This thread seems to be getting :o

The issue is Bottled Gas, for those who can not see what the problem is with gas in high-rise buildings maybe a read of this will help ""RONAN POINT".

BB

A house is the answer. Why pay a lot of money to have some anal retentive jerks rain on your parade. Not sure if the condo rules are the same here but in the U.S.(& I know this is not the U.S.) but it usually takes 80% of a vote to make or enforce any rule of the condo association - Which it is very difficult to get 80% to have any interest to show up for the meeting. Having lived at several condos Or Condoms I have challenged & beat the association on the 3 rules. besides if your using charcoal & using wood chips to start it & watching it. Hard to burn a concrete monster to the ground. Gas I can see could be a problem.

I know I'm a bad dog but rules are made to be broken. :o

A house is the answer. Why pay a lot of money to have some anal retentive jerks rain on your parade. Not sure if the condo rules are the same here but in the U.S.(& I know this is not the U.S.) but it usually takes 80% of a vote to make or enforce any rule of the condo association - Which it is very difficult to get 80% to have any interest to show up for the meeting. Having lived at several condos Or Condoms I have challenged & beat the association on the 3 rules. besides if your using charcoal & using wood chips to start it & watching it. Hard to burn a concrete monster to the ground. Gas I can see could be a problem.

they were objecting to the gas cannister - they do permit charcoal BBQ's - rather than fight i bought a small charcoal BBQ this afternoon - not as convenient or as clean as the gas but gets the job done

i never had any problem with the gas bbq's in any of the condos i lived in in the US but i suspect that the safety regulations here are not as stringent

they were objecting to the gas cannister - they do permit charcoal BBQ's - rather than fight i bought a small charcoal BBQ this afternoon - not as convenient or as clean as the gas but gets the job done

i never had any problem with the gas bbq's in any of the condos i lived in in the US but i suspect that the safety regulations here are not as stringent

I would agree that a gas canister could create a problem especially in the heat around Thailand. The condo I lived in California wouldn't allow any type of bbq'r & my X & I contested the validity of using wood chips to start it instead of gas 2 people out of 90 showed up at the meeting to vote & we got to keep the bbq but agreed not to use a gas source- which we were not using anyway. Even in our house the gas container is shut off after use- in the shade & I inspect it frequently to make sure it has no leaks. I would be real bum kicked if I couldn't BBQ . In America its a tradition not just a convenience.

Have you found any decent BBQ sauces out here yet? Anyone?