Paying Income Tax In Thailand?

I am not sure of the proper forum, but here goes anyway....

Under what circumstances would a foreigner be obligated to pay income tax in Thailand.

I know about the obvious, of being under a work permit.

How about a situation where a person is working outside of Thailand, payroll is outside, income tax etc is paid outside, and the person is in Thailand when not working?

There seems to be some conflicting information around in this regard.

Any advice, experience, anecdotal evidence appreciated.

I am not sure of the proper forum, but here goes anyway....

Under what circumstances would a foreigner be obligated to pay income tax in Thailand.

I know about the obvious, of being under a work permit.

How about a situation where a person is working outside of Thailand, payroll is outside, income tax etc is paid outside, and the person is in Thailand when not working?

There seems to be some conflicting information around in this regard.

Any advice, experience, anecdotal evidence appreciated.

As far as I understand it, if you spend more than 180 days a year in Thailand you are technically classed as "resident" there for tax is technically owed, but seeing as you are not working here, therefore no tax number, how do you pay it ?

You are already paying tax somewhere else, therefore you would have a record of tax paid, should the thai tax man ever come knocking

I think you are liable for tax if you remit income into Thailand in the year in which it was earned.

Therefore just send in savings from previous years income and you should be fine.

And how would this money be any different from that he earned this year? I mean how would this be controlled?

If i bring in say 200 000 baht, no one could say if it was earned this year or the past year, could they?

Edited by fritiof

I think you are liable for tax if you remit income into Thailand in the year in which it was earned.

Therefore just send in savings from previous years income and you should be fine.

And how would this money be any different from that he earned this year? I mean how would this be controlled?

If i bring in say 200 000 baht, no one could say if it was earned this year or the past year, could they?

Exactly....Thats why I wouldnt be too worried about the Thai tax man in his circumstances.