Christmas

tuky

I personally have no attachement to xmas, but I want my children to know about it, hence we have a tree and will swap a couple of presents.

This is because I want my kids to know about my customs, I am hoping that they will want to study in Australia when they are old enough, so therefore I want them to know all that they need to know seeing as they are half aussie.

What do you all do?

We usually have a tree and exchange gifts on Xmas morning with family and relatives who spend their Xmas in Thailand. :D

Pretty fun considering Xmas is not recognised as a holiday in TH.........and the Muslim countries such as Malaysia and Indonesia do......go figure! :o

Malaysia and Indonesia both have significant Christian minorities...north Sumatra and Sulaweisi in Indo are predominately Christian as is former province E. Timor (portugese influence).

I had two Christian girlfriends in Indo...not at the same time, of course...quite different than the muslim girls...

I think the Thais are catching on to the idea of Christmas. It won't be long until its a holiday there too.

Tukyleith,

I'd make it a special day for your kids. Take them out of school for the day and spoil them rotten. Make it a special day for them first and foremost. This is what a friend of mine does. He lives in Tak and takes them to CM for Christmas to join in the festivities with other Westerners. Cultural identity is important especially if they are going to be educated in the West.

I think the Thais are catching on to the idea of Christmas. It won't be long until its a holiday there too.

Tukyleith,

I'd make it a special day for your kids. Take them out of school for the day and spoil them rotten. Make it a special day for them first and foremost. This is what a friend of mine does. He lives in Tak and takes them to CM for Christmas to join in the festivities with other Westerners. Cultural identity is important especially if they are going to be educated in the West.

IMO, not much trouble with that. People enjoy the mood, never mind it's not their religion.

BKK is decorated for Xmas surpisingly well.

In Japan, shops and departments stores, it was all up 30th of October. Spectacular. Inside and outside.

Being quarter Norwegian, I go to a Danish restaurant in town on the 24th and take out open sandwiches. The herrings go down a treat with scnapps.

Don't know about the 25th. Will have to start asking around to find out who's doing Xmas meals. Possibly the two of us will attend one. The 24th is more important for me.

Best Xmas over here was a few years ago when friends who had a restaurant/bar introduced a swear box around Oct time. 10 Baht a hit, or you could just buy "a day ticket" for 100 Baht and swear along to your heart's content. About 15 of us were contributing. Money raised allowed the Norwegians to make the sandwiches on the 24th and we all had a traditional meal on the 25th, including a big stilton and a couple of bottles of port.

Anything will involve lots of booze.

Last couple of years I have found myself cooking turkeys by the dozen for local supermarkets. This year I will only be cooking one but expect to be entertaining about twenty, Thai and Farang to a five+ course meal with wines, brandies and port..

Father Christmas always comes to visit the little ones, and presents are under the tree to be opened after lunch.

Lots of booze and a very relaxed, genial time is had by all.

I personally have no attachement to xmas, but I want my children to know about it, hence we have a tree and will swap a couple of presents.

What do you all do?

Hi Leith & Tuky,

I had catholicism shoved down my throat so early in life that I ran away from being a devotee of it quite a while ago. But I think the holiday has evolved to a point where the original unitarian roots are but a small part of the holiday.

I think there is a lot your kids can learn besides the religious aspects. For example, they can learn the practice that it is better to give than receive. Or that it is a time of year to remember to be charitable (not only then but throughout the year). Or that it is a time of year to reflect and realize how fortunate they are compared to some people in other parts of the world.

Obviously these are heavy concepts for little ones to grasp. But there is always a way to show them a little bit at a time in simple terms.

As for me and what I will do, I think it is a time to share not only gifts, but company, companionship and experiences. I'll be spending most of my time on airplanes, going to see my mom & dad who aren't well, then to go to a wedding (also a mini-family reunion) and then to Japan and Thailand to see my fiancee' and her family. Also, it is time to give thanks to the universal spirits who have helped me to survive and thrive in another good year.

It's not all quaint and innocent with me either. I'll probably toss back quite a few partying with friends and family, and also try to relax and have a good time. :o

Best to you and yours, as well as everyone else in TVF.

Cheers,

Spee สพี

This year I'll be at work over Christmas & New Years so no booze and frivolity here...bummer! :D

But, me & the missus will be returning to LOS in early January where I intend to make up for all the deprivation! :D

Hope y'all have a very good Holiday Season! :o