How Do I Get A Credit Card Here?

Has anyone successfully applied for a credit card in Thailand?

I have a Non-Imm B, a Work Permit (for 2 weeks now!) and work at a reputable school.

I have the standard bank account for my salary to be paid into, and have tried at many banks without success. Problem is, the banks all seem to want me to have held a Work Permit for at least a year (Tesco for two years, and MajorCineplex for farangs with incomes over 80k/mth), and while I had a WP at my first school, until now (since March) I haven't had a Permit cos the other school I worked at took forever with their local offices, and I left for pastures new before it had been issued.

So it seems like I'm back at square one. I have heard that there is an office somewhere in Bangkok which has all the foreign teachers' work history recorded, somewhere... But would it be any use to a Credit Agency even if I could access those records?

I do have CCs from the UK but paying them each month would cost a fortune in sending the money back, and I want to buy off the web - hence the need for a credit card...

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

Has anyone successfully applied for a credit card in Thailand?

I have a Non-Imm B, a Work Permit (for 2 weeks now!) and work at a reputable school.

I have the standard bank account for my salary to be paid into, and have tried at many banks without success. Problem is, the banks all seem to want me to have held a Work Permit for at least a year (Tesco for two years, and MajorCineplex for farangs with incomes over 80k/mth), and while I had a WP at my first school, until now (since March) I haven't had a Permit cos the other school I worked at took forever with their local offices, and I left for pastures new before it had been issued.

So it seems like I'm back at square one. I have heard that there is an office somewhere in Bangkok which has all the foreign teachers' work history recorded, somewhere... But would it be any use to a Credit Agency even if I could access those records?

I do have CCs from the UK but paying them each month would cost a fortune in sending the money back, and I want to buy off the web - hence the need for a credit card...

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

I successfully applied for credit card with Standard Charter Bank as well as Krung Thai Bank. I’ve held a work permit for close to 6 years, but don’t know if that played a part or not? I did have to show them all the relevant papers (passport, work permit, salary record), and for a gold card they required you to have a salary of at least 80000 baht per month.

To be honest, I don’t think they are too keen on giving you a credit card if you’ve only had your work permit for 2 weeks. However, try Krung Thai bank as many of my friends (farang) have successfully applied for a credit card with them. The staff in the Silom branch are very friendly – if you are anywhere close to silom.

Thanks for the info guys!

Having had a look at that Lonely Planet link I reckon I'll live without it happier, knowing that those cards I do have are at least fraud protected!

And I wasn't sure if I could use the debit cards online - are they fraud protected or open to abuse as well? As far as I know, you can't abuse a debit card if there's no money in the bank at the time of the transaction, right?

Having had a look at that Lonely Planet link I reckon I'll live without it happier, knowing that those cards I do have are at least fraud protected!

And I wasn't sure if I could use the debit cards online - are they fraud protected or open to abuse as well? As far as I know, you can't abuse a debit card if there's no money in the bank at the time of the transaction, right?

IMHO SCB is the way to go ( if you change your mind )

IMHO SCB is the way to go ( if you change your mind )

Yes, SCB are nice, and I got a free clock as well and some other stuff.

Nice new branch up here in Suphanburi, and no waiting !!!! :o

I applied for one just over a month ago. They said that it would take about 3 weeks. I asked how long it would be before I knew if I had been approved or not and they said a week.

After a week I get a phonecall asking for my work phone number. They also asked which address they should use. I asked them "To send what?" and they said slip for credit card.

Still nothing! Would you say this means:

1. It's coming but taking a while, or

2. I haven't been approved and they can't be bothered informing me.

I applied for one just over a month ago. They said that it would take about 3 weeks. I asked how long it would be before I knew if I had been approved or not and they said a week.

After a week I get a phonecall asking for my work phone number. They also asked which address they should use. I asked them "To send what?" and they said slip for credit card.

Still nothing! Would you say this means:

1. It's coming but taking a while, or

2. I haven't been approved and they can't be bothered informing me.

Hi Withnail,

I'm getting the same sh*te with the bank right now, mine has been in processing for 2 months. I have called a few times and asked them outright if I have been turned down, each time they said NO but they are so busy bla bla....They have contacted my Boss and all my paperwork is in order. I will contact them again on Friday to gee them up.

I have heard that he Bank of Thailand is putting pressure on the banks with regards to CCs for farangs as in being very strict.

I will let you know the outcome when I get it or not as the case may be.

I sent Bangkok bank a message through internet banking. This is the reply I got:

Thank you for your bank mail. We would like to inform you that we have already received your

application. Now it is on process for approval. Due to many applications, the approval might

be delayed for sometime. However, we will follow up your case and inform you as soon as

possible.

Best regards,

Cardmember Service Section

Looks like a standard reply to me rather than a personalised message (i.e. no mistakes). I find it odd though why they don't just send you a note saying not approved. If that's the case I don't have a problem with it just wish they'd let me know either way.

Under regulations imposed last year because of serious problems with bad debts and out of control consumer credit the Thai government requires banks to verify that an applicant is in employment (and if a Thai earns at leat 15000THB per month) which means a foreign applicant MUST have a work permit.

No resrictions on debit cards of course.

Cold-Ko1. If you are prepared to "block" funds against your credit limit why on earth not get a Be1st visa debit card? Agreed there are some places which cannot accept Visa Electron but then cash is a useful substitute for plastic.

Under regulations imposed last year because of serious problems with bad debts and out of control consumer credit the Thai government requires banks to verify that an applicant is in employment (and if a Thai earns at leat 15000THB per month) which means a foreign applicant MUST have a work permit.

No resrictions on debit cards of course.

Cold-Ko1. If you are prepared to "block" funds against your credit limit why on earth not get a Be1st visa debit card? Agreed there are some places which cannot accept Visa Electron but then cash is a useful substitute for plastic.

I needed it for "Paypal" service to make purchase over the net,

because paypal don't have service for "UAE" where i live.

Can thai Visa debit card be used for Paypal service? i need it

because sending money by wire or western union cost a lot

I've got a credit card, no work premit though , bank of auattaya

How long have you had the Credit Card? As I understand it one needs a work permit now to get one. In saying that I am sure there must be exceptions, i.e. if you have a VERY healthy bank balance...

Had it about 6 months. Would'nt say VERY healthy, but its not on life support, more like an out-patient :o

We've got a few accounts with them, inc a current account, in joint names that we run the buisseness off. They offer'd one to me never even used it, the wife uses hers usually. I would of tought its something to do with haveing the current account, as they can see there is money regularly going into the bank.

Random Chances.

Probably your bank assumed you are an honest sort of guy and have a WP. Or is your card an additonal card issued on your wifes credit card account.

It might be issued of hers, cant see anything on it though. The current account is in both names, and I dont need a WP as I dont work, they did'nt ask me if I had one either.

i recently got a new VISA Supplementary card from SCB ....thru my Wife....and well its only 3 weeks to get it....and for every1 info...i do not possed a work permit or own any company...

i only got a multiple visa non O...and a married cert....and a house reg card...all photocopy

this is the document that i give to the bank....and i just called the bank 3 hours ago t activate my acc

During the 3 weeks process they just called my wife to verify our address and thats all....Simple....

next we are trying for the Babgkok bank and other local bank....

I think they appove us because my wife is holding a very high Post in her Company....and also the salry counts...

Just keep a decent balance with any bank (and that's every single bank... except for Bank Thai, Thai Military or UOB... don't know about those three) for a few years and they'll sales pitch you every time you do any transaction with your passbook, they even typically offer to throw in silly freebies like glass sets, hot pots, etc.

But yeah, as the other poster said.... why get a card with unlimited liability? Debit cards are the way to go IMO. Amex Thailand offers the standard limited liability also I think (so says their "on hold" message for customer service)... same as the standard US Amex.

:o

I've got a credit card, no work premit though , bank of auattaya

How long have you had the Credit Card? As I understand it one needs a work permit now to get one. In saying that I am sure there must be exceptions, i.e. if you have a VERY healthy bank balance...

I also applied for a credit card with the bank of bangkok...got it no problems without WP and in my own name. However my account is healthy, they offered me gold. Interesting to see how different the reaction is when they realise you have money. The only difference is when I am in + status the interest offered is .25% instead of the nationals @ .75%

However I do already have a Be1st visa electron, are you sure you can use them online?

No, you can not.

Yes, you cannot buy off the internet with a Be1st visa electron card...

Before you sign up for a Thai credit card, read this Thai Credit Cards Can Damage Your Finacial Status

i don't understand why you would a credit card fromn a thai bank anyway!

interest and charges are high and you cannot do chargebacks!

if you can get one from your western home country, get it and use it only if you have to.

i prefer cash all the time as at least i know where my money is going! :o

Before you sign up for a Thai credit card, read this Thai Credit Cards Can Damage Your Finacial Status

i don't understand why you would a credit card fromn a thai bank anyway!

interest and charges are high and you cannot do chargebacks!

if you can get one from your western home country, get it and use it only if you have to.

i prefer cash all the time as at least i know where my money is going! :D

Because I live and work here! :o