Enjoy?

Nongwahyay

But I am constantly being asked, "Where are you from? I cannot place your accent." I believe that is due to my travels, and having done long-term assignments in several different countries, my manner of speaking has been influenced.

ze zame happens to me all ze time. zere iss hartly annyboddy who deteckts ze slight acktsent vhich klearly indikates zat i am a tchermann :o

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the way the OP suggests, the object is implied, not the verb. It can mean "enjoy yourself" or "enjoy the movie." I also do not recall Americans saying that much.

I also joke about whilst, amongst, bonnet, boot, etc, but it is amusement, not disgust. But I can be as arrogant as most Brits when I choose to be.

I do get tired of the British English vs. American English competition and debates. I think this point is on-topic and related to the OP.

English is an international language. 3/4 English speakers are not native English speakers.

Correct...and the vast majority are speaking neither "Queen's English" nor "American English", but rather a combination of the two.

I´m late in replying... but anyhow........ yes, I´ve seen it used mainly as in "bon appetit", but cannot accept that "enjoy" should establish itself as the equivalent. Using it (incorrectly) in this manner would be as ludicrous as wishing somebody "Have a nice...." on a Friday afternoon when, of course "....weekend" would be implied.

I thought I´d seen "enjoy" used mainly by Americans but will not rule out that perhaps it was used by Brits.

And finally........ how did whoever it was get the idea from, that I´m "pompous"?????? I only expressed a simple opinion in a fairly courteous manner...... :o

wishing somebody "Have a nice...."

You probably won't like the phrase "Have a nice one" either. :o

I thought I´d seen "enjoy" used mainly by Americans but will not rule out that perhaps it was used by Brits.

To be honest, I don't really remember hearing anyone use it except in the movies and I'm American.

why not whine about brits using 'lads'

it sounds homosexual.. a LOT

everytime i hear someone using that word, im really unsure of their sexuality.

This says alot more about you and your hangups, then the Brits using it, mate. I'd invite you out for a fag, but I don't smoke.

Edited by Jingthing

In either the US or UK, you can take comfort in knowing most of the slang will be country/culture-centric. However, I would agree that much more American slang is understood worldwide than other versions. This is simply because of the global dominance of Hollywood and prevalence of American film. Music, to a bit lesser degree has also influenced slang, as well as Americans traveling worldwide.

As far as Expats in Thailand? They are all mixed up, jumbled up, using slang from Britain, US, and Australia! It all sounds quite messy, really.

Somewhere, at some point over the recent past, someone decided that it was no longer acceptable for a person to say what he or she means; it was no longer acceptable to speak in precise, direct words. And what’s worse, someone, somewhere decided that we should all be offended when someone calls a problem a problem! Everything has to be translated into some sort of euphemism. I don’t really know why it started, but can we please stop referring to every problem as an issue?

An employee no longer has a problem keeping up with production; he has an issue. A child no longer has a problem behaving in class; she has an issue. A married couple in therapy no longer has problems in their marriage; they have issues.

Even bad weather now causes performance issues on the football field and traffic issues on the road; and a basketball player with a sprained ankle has an ankle issue. I’m not sure what’s so offensive about discussing traffic problems, health problems, or a sloppy football game. Is it just me?

The problem—that is, what’s wrong—with substituting issue for problem is that those two words are not synonymous—and no amount of being politically correct, disingenuous, or even condescending—yes, it can be condescending—will make it so.

An issue is a topic, such as The candidates will discuss the issues at the debate. That means that the candidates will discuss the different topics, or subject areas, involved in running our country.

A problem is something negative. A problem is something that needs to be solved. A problem is something that we try to overcome. A problem is something that we don’t want. An issue is not a problem, but I’ll tell you what is a problem: the grammatically incorrect trend of telling someone that he has an issue when what you really mean is that he has a problem. Call it what it is, and it’ll be easier to solve.

An issue is a topic, such as The candidates will discuss the issues at the debate. That means that the candidates will discuss the different topics, or subject areas, involved in running our country.

"Issue" has multiple definitions depending on its' context/usage. These are a couple of probably a dozen definitions.

6 a: a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties b (1): a vital or unsettled matter <economic issues> (2): concern, problem <I have issues with his behavior> c: the point at which an unsettled matter is ready for a decision <brought the matter to an issue>

1: in a state of controversy : in disagreement

Source: Merriam-Webster's dictionary.

In the way the OP suggests, the object is implied, not the verb. It can mean "enjoy yourself" or "enjoy the movie." I also do not recall Americans saying that much.

I also joke about whilst, amongst, bonnet, boot, etc, but it is amusement, not disgust. But I can be as arrogant as most Brits when I choose to be.

I'm delighted, PB. The difference between we Brits and you colonials is that we have much to be arrogant about.

Ask anyone involved with the evolution of new products. It's well known that Britain invents, America develops and Japan produces.

More comes from those little islands off the north coast of France than arrogance and sarcastic put downs, y'know!

I'm delighted, PB. The difference between we Brits and you colonials is that we have much to be arrogant about.

Ask anyone involved with the evolution of new products. It's well known that Britain invents, America develops and Japan produces.

More comes from those little islands off the north coast of France than arrogance and sarcastic put downs, y'know!

That is really quaint being called colonials. Do Brits really still say that? Its been a few hundred years, and you redcoats lost. I guess it goes down better than being called Yankee Imperialists.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm glad you're still arrogant. It must be hard to be arrogant and speak Romanian as your first language. :o

Somewhere, at some point over the recent past, someone decided that it was no longer acceptable for a person to say what he or she means; it was no longer acceptable to speak in precise, direct words. And what's worse, someone, somewhere decided that we should all be offended when someone calls a problem a problem! Everything has to be translated into some sort of euphemism. I don't really know why it started, but can we please stop referring to every problem as an issue?

An employee no longer has a problem keeping up with production; he has an issue. A child no longer has a problem behaving in class; she has an issue. A married couple in therapy no longer has problems in their marriage; they have issues.

Even bad weather now causes performance issues on the football field and traffic issues on the road; and a basketball player with a sprained ankle has an ankle issue. I'm not sure what's so offensive about discussing traffic problems, health problems, or a sloppy football game. Is it just me?

The problem—that is, what's wrong—with substituting issue for problem is that those two words are not synonymous—and no amount of being politically correct, disingenuous, or even condescending—yes, it can be condescending—will make it so.

A problem is something negative. A problem is something that needs to be solved. A problem is something that we try to overcome. A problem is something that we don't want. An issue is not a problem, but I'll tell you what is a problem: the grammatically incorrect trend of telling someone that he has an issue when what you really mean is that he has a problem. Call it what it is, and it'll be easier to solve.

Agree wholeheartedly here!

I'm almost looking forward to the day when my son dislikes something he has read in a newspaper or magazine. I will take him in to their office and say (pause for dramatic effect):

"My issue here as an issue with an issue in your current issue."

Generally, I enjoy the evolution of this language with so many influences, but deliberate obfuscation palls somewhat, what?

Thirty years ago, some ivory tower British academics were predicting that British and American English were becoming so diverse that bi-lingual dictionaries would be needed 50 years hence.

Then the 2 nations began selling TV series and films to each other and it is generally agreed that this factor has tended to keep the 2 closer together and more universally comprehensible.

Enjoy..........................!

Tywais, did you not ever hear mothers in Illinois instructing their little toddlers to wear their rubbers in rainy weather? And in winter, we wore boots in snowy weather. In south Texas,:D we wore boots even if we were not riding horses. As for issue, I think another meaning is a bodily secretion, like pus. :o

Midwest is the least accented American accent because the media said it that way for decades.

Richard Nixon was from southern California, but he could be arrogant.

Thaksin Shinawatra did not pick up a Texas accent while going to school there. George W. Bush, from New England, did.

wishing somebody "Have a nice...."

You probably won't like the phrase "Have a nice one" either. :o

To be honest, I don't really remember hearing anyone use it except in the movies and I'm American.

It could have come from those James Bond movies (from what I recall). Back in the hippie days, slang took off and started incorrect anti-establishment lingo. Chill out is from the "stay cool" or "cool it" which just turned into "Cool" in the late 60's and 70's. Our inner city ethnic slang has crept into the international market (to my disgust) but I'm sure many parents were nauseated by "Hey, man...how ya doin...peace...out'" crowd sporting a joint (a left handed cigarette...pot, weed, dooby...) I'm American and have only heard it in movies (usually to a toast from a Brit)...."Cheers" or "Enjoy". It definitely isn't used in every day life (never heard it in real life in the US so my guess is it's a Brit using what he things is American just as Americans like Brit terms (it's fun)! The origin of "enjoy"? I would pin that more on the Scots or Brits (Americans would never say something sounding congratulatory or kind in this new arrogant age my country is in the midst of ).

I agree with other posters. I use Brit slang far more than ghetto American slang any day! The Austrians and Aussies actually think I'm a Brit (I am careful not to mumble words like many Americans have begun; I "enjoy" using words to their best effect and enunciation.

Dang it, dag namit, gosh darn, gee whiz, oh my gosh, awww heck, dern toot'in, dam_n skippy, hot dam_n

Brits "enjoy" using bloody everywhere (I understand this old term derived as a reference to the St. Valentines day massacre)? Right, that does it!

I do see the English language has evolved into a middle ground betwixt Queen's and ghetto leaving most of the world with a happy medium. I also observe much behavior in LOS is interpreted by movies but never from real life. My wife says, "farang do, so Thai do and I tell her "farang not do THAT sure"! Only in movie!

Perhaps you're going through a cultural clash but it isn't American's fault in LOS! "Enjoy" isn't from our soil (unless it's Hollywood).

I'm feeling randy now, got to go.

Edited by HYENA

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "&lt;deleted&gt;" years ago.... :o

Saved our "&lt;deleted&gt;" and their "economy", thank you very much. :D

I'm not sure what would have happened to Britain if we had lost the war?? Great beer and sausages would have probably been a bonus, but I'm not sure about a mullet? :D

We'd probably be speaking Russian now, the war in Europe was a side show to what really went on in the East.

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

Almost correct.

"Enjoy" is technically intransitive but you can bend it a little as in "The things I enjoy": but "Enjoy" alone should have an object or another

verb after it.

P.S. American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted. Get over it.

Edited by qwertz

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "&lt;deleted&gt;" years ago.... :o

With the 1,000 year Reich in the 'good ole' USA too?

OMFG what a typically American quote to say 'save their &lt;deleted&gt; years ago'.

What about the Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders etc? Did they not play a part? And how many of those dear, sweet American folk were of Brit descent anyway?

I better &lt;deleted&gt;.

I agree that "Enjoy!" is often used as a shortcut to mean to "have a good time", or as related to food, to suggest that the food is good and a pleasure to eat.

Another overused expression is when parting company and one person says, "Have a good one!" similar in meaning as "Enjoy!"

Another odd expression is "snarled traffic".

Edited by AmeriThai

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

Almost correct.

"Enjoy" is technically intransitive but you can bend it a little as in "The things I enjoy": but "Enjoy" alone should have an object or another

verb after it.

P.S. American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted. Get over it.

Is '"enjoy" technically intransitive?? In your example, "the things I enjoy", the verb "enjoy" has an object, "the things (which)". In my opinion, grammatically incorrect expressions, such as this (i.e. "enjoy"), are brought into being by "hignoramuses", who have no idea, that there there are such things as intransitive and transitive verbs and that a transitive verb - such as "enjoy" - is always followed by an object (i.e. ...the meal/the film etc.). They coin an incorrect phrase, which is then adopted by other "hignoramuses" and in some cases they become widespread and are adopted by (dare I say ignorant....?) sections of society, despite the fact that they´re bastardizing the English language.

Now you can call me pompous, if you wish (whoever it was....)..... :D

What about the Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders etc? Did they not play a part? And how many of those dear, sweet American folk were of Brit descent anyway?

I better &lt;deleted&gt;.

Quite so, to say nothing of the fact the 'Few', stopped the invasion all by their 'lil ole selves'. Quaint

Good Luck

Moss

American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted.

but american english cannot be understood by a lot of people who are not familiar with it.

try this: "we have a situation. there's a guy with an attitude with a two-by-four" :o

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "&lt;deleted&gt;" years ago.... :D

Saved our "&lt;deleted&gt;" and their "economy", thank you very much. :D

I'm not sure what would have happened to Britain if we had lost the war?? Great beer and sausages would have probably been a bonus, but I'm not sure about a mullet? :D

We'd probably be speaking Russian now, the war in Europe was a side show to what really went on in the East.

Without the Americans would ThaiVisa be a Japanese language website? And, if so, would the moderators prohibit discussions about comfort women? :o

Also don't forget that had Britain and her allies lost the war in Europe it would not just be a different Great Britain we would be looking at today.

Anyhow back to the topic. I don't know too much about American and Aussie slang but there is no one version of British slang. Virtually every region of the country has it's own version. Calling someone in Southampton a numptie would probably pass unnoticed but the same in Glasgow would most likely get you some quality hospital time to "enjoy".

Also slang is constantly evolving, back in the 60's everything was swinging (good) but you don't hear that term any more although the negative dodgy (bad) is still used.

Also slang is constantly evolving, back in the 60's everything was swinging (good) but you don't hear that term any more although the negative dodgy (bad) is still used.

I agree that slang is constantly evolving. During the 60s in the US, "cool" meant something good, "far out" meant something impressively good. A decade or so later, "bad" became popular to mean something good. Go figure. (Can't remember when that became a popular expression though.)

Slang and expressions in the US not only change over time, but can often be regional or ethnic in origin.

Even language itself changes over time. I'd guess in a couple of hundred years (if not less), people will probably not understand some of the expressions and slang (maybe even much of the language) that's used today.