Enjoy?

Nongwahyay

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's any comfort most Americans who spend any time in Thailand end up using alot more British expressions. Out dam_n spot on! Which means we can no longer run for political office in the US because we sound too poofy.

Edited by Jingthing

I was wondering more about the British habit of giving every place a "cutesy" name...Bangers (Bangkok) and Patters (Pattaya) come immediately to mind.

As far as "enjoy", the verb is implied. Hence, "enjoy (whatever it is that you enjoy)".

As far as the irritation factor, both of these pale when one considers the use of buzzwords and ancronyms.

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

you should download the cockney rhyming slang plugin for your browser..it will dynamically translate all posts into cockney for you.

I think that you will find the the phrase "Enjoy" is mainly used by women or men who are of a more feminine persuasion. I have never heard it used by manly or macho guys. I enjoy many of the slang expressions I hear on TV but think the Brits and Aussies have us Yanks by a long shot on using colorful expressions. I have to give credit to the Aussies for having the best and most unique slang.

Edited by jetjock

Chill out or Chilling out is very much like a Thai saying Jai yen or Jai yen, yen. How does one cool their heart anyway? I thought the body must remain at a pretty stable temperature or death results????? Since this is a Thailand oriented forum why don't you focus on such idioms at that instead of putting down the very society that saved yours!

Regards,

Martian

There is a lot more jargon/slang in American English than British English, as you know.

Yes, there are many slang words that are kind of silly, IMO. They come from movies, songs......and sheesh....even commercials. Remember "where's the beef?"

Some slang words are short term fads and used for a short period of time, but they are still said occasionally.

As Jinthing noted, many Americans in Thailand, including myself, use British slang words and expressions. I like them.

Yeah, Chill out, calm down friend it will lower the blood pressure, you will live longer. Just my thought. Cheer Mate. :D:D:D

As a Brit having worked for the last 30 years in an American dominated business, oil & gas, and during that time have also worked in North America I consider myself to be bilingual :o . I have no objections to Americanisms (e.g. pavement for road) nor, in general, American slang (e.g. "chilling out" but not "my bad" - that's just a silly way of saying sorry) and in fact from time to time I use them myself. I think that, due to Hollywood's influence, most British are well equipped to convert from the American to the English whether it be terminology or slang.

Aussie slang is a bit more difficult but usually is easy to figure out from the context in which it is used.

what bugs me is posts made with no capitals or any punctuation when i come across one of these i just skim through but generally ignore it even though they may contain some very valid points they are very difficult to read im not saying im perfect with my use of the english language and especially grammar but i do try and make my posts readable

another thing is that some people,for whatever reason,do not use a space after the punctuation mark.this also makes it difficult,especially on the screen,to pick up on the sentences.

and u r getin on thin ice if u get me on a rant bout teh use of txtish i can c teh point 4 txt msg but wen u hav a ful keybord y not us it

I might be an old dinosaur but even when texting I use capitals where required, correct spelling and correct punctuation.

Rant mode disabled, peace brothers and sisters. :D

What a ridiculous post from a pompous Brit. :D

If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy".

Nongwahyay,

Can you provide an example of someone using "enjoy" as you state above?

I'm from the US and I've never said, nor heard anyone use the expression or word "enjoy" as you have described.

In the way the OP suggests, the object is implied, not the verb. It can mean "enjoy yourself" or "enjoy the movie." I also do not recall Americans saying that much.

I also joke about whilst, amongst, bonnet, boot, etc, but it is amusement, not disgust. But I can be as arrogant as most Brits when I choose to be.

Example:

(In Australia, it's treated semi-ironically and given an exaggerated inflection.)

Woman leaves office: I'm off to meet my boyfriend now

Others chorus, waving: Enjoooooooooooooooy !

I think we learnt it from television programs, but who knows ?

Edited by sylviex

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "<deleted>" years ago.... :o

Saved our "<deleted>" and their "economy", thank you very much. :D

I'm not sure what would have happened to Britain if we had lost the war?? Great beer and sausages would have probably been a bonus, but I'm not sure about a mullet? :D

Perhaps this "enjoy!" exhortation has come from the similiarly slightly annoying, "enjoy your meal !".

Tonight, Patronizing Language. Enjoy.

By FRANK BRUNI

Published: November 7, 2007

A triptych of canapés arrives, and I'm told that proceeding from left to right is the best way "to enjoy them," a statement that blurs the line between helpful instruction and boastful prediction. I'll be the judge of my own joy, and maybe I'll proceed from right to left, just to mix things up.

I pause halfway through an entree, and a server with an itch to clear plates asks if I'm "done enjoying that," a question that's more a presumption. Maybe I was done enjoying it after the first bite. Maybe the unconsumed half is a testament to my limited enjoyment.

Would I "enjoy coffee with dessert?" I don't know; it depends how good the coffee is. I'll have some, yes, then we'll see.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Egads. It's a semantic pox, either getting worse by the moment or simply less bearable upon the thousandth exposure to it. And it's a fine example of restaurantspeak, an oddly stilted language that has somehow survived the shift toward casual dining and that sounds even odder and more stilted in light of the new informality.

continued at nytimes.com/2007/11/07/dining/07note.html

Enjoy ! :o

Edited by sylviex

If it's any comfort most Americans who spend any time in Thailand end up using alot more British expressions. Out dam_n spot on! Which means we can no longer run for political office in the US because we sound too poofy.

I LOVE calling people "wanke_rs"! :o

:D

That is one that I have adopted.

One of my favorite phrases, used by an Aussie co-worker: "...pretentious wanke_r"

If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy".

Nongwahyay,

Can you provide an example of someone using "enjoy" as you state above?

I'm from the US and I've never said, nor heard anyone use the expression or word "enjoy" as you have described.

1st person : "Ok, we are leaving now for lunch...see you later"

2nd person (not going): "Enjoy!"

All of us to some degree or another tend to pick up words, usages, and even pronunciations from those around us, be it jargon related to our profession, or different languages that we hear, or from people who speak a different language than us as their first language. Some (sales/marketing types :( ) will do this in a more obvious, pretentious manner so as to fit in (buzzwords mainly). Others of us (the cool technical types :D ) will do so in a more casual manner, almost through osmosis.

I grew up on the Great Plains (please do not say "Midwest", that is over by Michigan somewhere :o ) of USA, where the people speak in what is likely the most "accent-neutral" manner that you will find amongst (<-dammit, there's one!) those who speak English as their first language. But I am constantly being asked, "Where are you from? I cannot place your accent." I believe that is due to my travels, and having done long-term assignments in several different countries, my manner of speaking has been influenced.

All in all, good fun..let's keep it that way.

Combining a bit of Thai and British slang..."I think I will go outside now and smoke a fag" :D :D :D :D

like the pound "crashing" against the dollar? :D

In the way the OP suggests, the object is implied, not the verb. It can mean "enjoy yourself" or "enjoy the movie." I also do not recall Americans saying that much.

I also joke about whilst, amongst, bonnet, boot, etc, but it is amusement, not disgust. But I can be as arrogant as most Brits when I choose to be.

I do get tired of the British English vs. American English competition and debates. I think this point is on-topic and related to the OP.

English is an international language. 3/4 English speakers are not native English speakers.

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "&lt;deleted&gt;" years ago.... :o

Saved our "&lt;deleted&gt;" and their "economy", thank you very much. :D

I'm not sure what would have happened to Britain if we had lost the war?? Great beer and sausages would have probably been a bonus, but I'm not sure about a mullet? :D

The Beatles would have been singing about duty to the fuher and sporting toothbrush mustaches and brownshirts and would never have made it big. :D