Enjoy?

Nongwahyay

A minor irritant is the incorrect usage of 'already'.

For example: "Let's go already!" or "stop complaining already!"

Incorrect verb tense makes it sound silly.

I am not sure where it originated but seems to be cropping up more & more often in print & on tv.

I just wish it would just go away already. :o

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A minor irritant is the incorrect usage of 'already'.

For example: "Let's go already!" or "stop complaining already!"

Incorrect verb tense makes it sound silly.

I am not sure where it originated but seems to be cropping up more & more often in print & on tv.

I just wish it would just go away already. :o

LOL! Ages ago, it was "Let's go - yesterday, if not sooner!"

American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted.

but american english cannot be understood by a lot of people who are not familiar with it.

try this: "we have a situation. there's a guy with an attitude with a two-by-four" :D

Must be something about a university trained carpenter not being accepted by his mates? :o

In the way the OP suggests, the object is implied, not the verb. It can mean "enjoy yourself" or "enjoy the movie." I also do not recall Americans saying that much.

I also joke about whilst, amongst, bonnet, boot, etc, but it is amusement, not disgust. But I can be as arrogant as most Brits when I choose to be.

I'm delighted, PB. The difference between we Brits and you colonials is that we have much to be arrogant about.

Ask anyone involved with the evolution of new products. It's well known that Britain invents, America develops and Japan produces.

More comes from those little islands off the north coast of France than arrogance and sarcastic put downs, y'know!

You mean like Rock n' Roll? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "<deleted>" years ago.... :o

Oh yeah, <deleted> were you in the Battle of Britain then?

How about "verbing" nouns?

Examples:

"While I am on that project in <other country>, I will office at the local <my company> site" or "I am currently officing at <xyz>".

And now we are starting to see the "nouning" of verbs:

"<company's> printers will help you to minimize your spend on consumables".

"Through strict cost-saving measures, we have reduced our monthly travel spend by 15%".

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

Almost correct.

"Enjoy" is technically intransitive but you can bend it a little as in "The things I enjoy": but "Enjoy" alone should have an object or another

verb after it.

P.S. American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted. Get over it.

Is '"enjoy" technically intransitive?? In your example, "the things I enjoy", the verb "enjoy" has an object, "the things (which)". In my opinion, grammatically incorrect expressions, such as this (i.e. "enjoy"), are brought into being by "hignoramuses", who have no idea, that there there are such things as intransitive and transitive verbs and that a transitive verb - such as "enjoy" - is always followed by an object (i.e. ...the meal/the film etc.). They coin an incorrect phrase, which is then adopted by other "hignoramuses" and in some cases they become widespread and are adopted by (dare I say ignorant....?) sections of society, despite the fact that they´re bastardizing the English language.

Now you can call me pompous, if you wish (whoever it was....)..... :D

It was me.

And you're not pompous, your comments are right on the money.

However, you and the OP can't ignore the ievitable development of language; I've seen many words fall in

and out of use during my long life.

In Germany the media invite nominations for the silliest word of the year every January.

I think last year's was "Ich AG" (one man company). They had to invent Kanzlerin (chancelloress) when

Merkel took office because they always had a man in the post before.

And the Germans borrowed "Happy ending" long ago, which they they always utter as "Happy end" - and

a cell phone here is called a "handy".

I use "spot on" in my own lexicon now. I love it. I wish I could use "&lt;deleted&gt;" as well as the word just sounds great.

People have probably complained since the days of homo erectus about the bastardization of language. But that is how language progresses. I have read Beowulf (or should I write, I tried to read it?) and what is written there has only a passing resemblence to English, any kind of modern English.

Brits "enjoy" using bloody everywhere (I understand this old term derived as a reference to the St. Valentines day massacre)? Right, that does it!

I always though that "bloody" came from the Middle Ages, when it was "by our lady" (ie Mary), so was blasphemous. By Shakespeare's time it had transmogrified into "by'r lady", and thence down to modern day "bloody". The word was popularised in the 60's by Alf Garnett in the British TV show "Till Death Us Do Part", before then it was considered vulgar.

History lesson over.

Willem king gret Gosfregð scirgerefan and ealle þa burhwaru binnan Lundene

freondlice. And ic beode eow þat ge on Lanfrances lande archbisceopes þe

gebyrað into Hergan ne mman ne heort ne hindan ne hran, ne ge nates hwon

ðærinne æig ðing huntian butan ðam he rylf bebyt oððe leofe togyfð.

Translation in to Modern English:

King William extends friendly greeting to Geoffrey the sheriff and all the citizens of London. And I order you that you not take stags or hinds or other deer from the land of Archbishop Lanfranc at the manor of Harrow, and that you not hunt anything there without the archbishop's order or license. Source: David Bates, Regesta Regum Anglo-Normannorum: The Acta of William

I (1066-1087) (1998) [no. 78]

I am sure glad the English language remains "pure" and unadulterated, free from ghastly American influence! :o

American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted.

but american english cannot be understood by a lot of people who are not familiar with it.

try this: "we have a situation. there's a guy with an attitude with a two-by-four" :D

I dont want to correct you germans :o but I think this reads better :

we have a situation. there's a guy with an attitude and a two-by-four :D

I'm an American and find the term "Chill Out," if used in the proper context, to be quite appropriate and makes perfect sense. In America, or at least in California, we kind of use it when someone gets a little Hot Headed; i.e., wants to fight or escalate things. Usually you say something like "Chill Out, I was only joking." Basically someone said it already, it's used when someones blood pressure really gets flowing, so cooling off, or in this case chilling out, seems very reasonable.

Anyway, I've been here in Chiang Mai for awhile now, but I have to say, there seems to be far more English expressions here than American. But that's just my impression, as I've run into far more people from England than America here in Thailand.

I'm an American and find the term "Chill Out," if used in the proper context, to be quite appropriate and makes perfect sense. In America, or at least in California, we kind of use it when someone gets a little Hot Headed; i.e., wants to fight or escalate things. Usually you say something like "Chill Out, I was only joking." Basically someone said it already, it's used when someones blood pressure really gets flowing, so cooling off, or in this case chilling out, seems very reasonable.

Anyway, I've been here in Chiang Mai for awhile now, but I have to say, there seems to be far more English expressions here than American. But that's just my impression, as I've run into far more people from England than America here in Thailand.

i'm in chiang mai and i heard someone use the expression 'ecky thump' the other day. which i quite enjoyed.

it's a good thing that language evolves, keeps it interesting. unfortunately some english people would prefer it that everyone still spoke as if they were characters in an agatha christie novel.

or like a scouser (Kidding stevie boy and why have you left the football forum, got lost?) :o

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "&lt;deleted&gt;" years ago.... :o

Oh yeah, &lt;deleted&gt; were you in the Battle of Britain then?

They were ignoring the warnings they were given about Pearl Harbour that's where they were, they knew it was coming but.........doh!!

But I am constantly being asked, "Where are you from? I cannot place your accent." I believe that is due to my travels, and having done long-term assignments in several different countries, my manner of speaking has been influenced.

ze zame happens to me all ze time. zere iss hartly annyboddy who deteckts ze slight acktsent vhich klearly indikates zat i am a :o

"tchermann"

I understand perfectly............ what are you a "Chairman" of ??

Correct...and the vast majority are speaking neither "Queen's English" nor "American English", but rather a combination of the two.

"Spot-on" as they say across the Pond. :D

I tear my hair out with my Thai university students. They all insist on speaking "American" English (presumably because it's fashionable right now), but write and spell British English. Ninety-five percent of our written materials are also in British English.

Frequently, the two systems collide and students register confusion. I teach both systems, because I think it's helpful to the students to be aware of the "other." However, I always tell them to choose ONE for themselves and be consistent, particularly in their speech and spelling.

If the Brits just hadn't taxed our tea.... :o

On another forum, I read a posting about a mobile phone, and the OP said "surfing the 'net on this phone is insane!!" To this day, I've no idea whether he meant it was very good or very bad (hmm - but bad means good, right?)

One of the few I do like is "diddley squat". No idea where it comes from, but it sound good!

G

how about the word troll does that sound like anyone YOU know. Why even "go there" oops "my bad" :o

. . . and there's another one "my bad" - my bad what? where the hel_l did that come from?

My bad has faded from popularity. Not to worry peeps. Enjoy!

Edited by Jingthing

One of the few I do like is "diddley squat". No idea where it comes from, but it sound good!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diddle

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diddle

Also came across this:

Jack Squat and Diddley Squat got together one night and fell into a black hole. The result was they *really* came up with nothing!

i'm in chiang mai and i heard someone use the expression 'ecky thump' the other day. which i quite enjoyed.

Actually, "chilling out" and derivatives thereof are my pet hates......!!! But ´that´s just me...... you Murkins can use it, if it makes you feel better...... :D But "ecky thump".... well... it just says it all...... great expression!!!! :o