Computer-made in thailand

expat2

I am planning to buy my first computer, can any one recommend a brand of computer, ( should I go for one made in Thailand ,or not ) The choice seem's vast for a first timer like me. any comments on where to buy / back up service / problems / instruction book's in English / up grading / getting the best deal / Etc,Etc, .... thanks ....

Argh, what an awful website ;-)

* Repeating windows media sample

* Does'nt set to Thai font correctly

* Unbalanced English translation

* Large gifs, also large in filesize, slow to download advertising products

* Text is not nicely laid out.

* Large gifs here, there and everywhere

ok i'm being a little pedantic.  I would'nt even hesitate in recommending Dell.  You can't go wrong.  If it's broke, you have a proper skilled team and community to help you fix it.

Regards

As you don't seem to have experience re computers would strongly suggest you have a computer shop convenient to you with someone you are comfortable talking with make the unit for you.  Computers don't have much in the way of operating manuals so it would be much better to have someone to show you the way.  They will normally be much cheaper than an imported version and able to fix anything that goes wrong without a bunch of static.

If you were more comfortable would consider one of the many pre built units now on sale by the discount superstores as good value.  But believe you should try to find someone you are comfortable talking with and has time to explain things for your first unit.  Things do go wrong so it is very nice to have someone to help when this happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the Info, can any one comment on the computer brand's ... BELTA. , LASER, and ACER...?, Also can any one tell me where I can see a good display of DELL computers, Many Thanks ... computer newbie ...  ???

I would strongly recommend a visit to Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. Laptops are a great idea in Thailand; they run much cooler than desktops, and the battery is great when the power goes momentarily. You also get a TFT screen as well (expensive if bought for a desktop). Saw some great new bargains in Pantip last week. Laptops from 22,000 baht upwards. Also great if you travel a lot. I'm a real convert from desktops.

Having had to service many laptops, I can say I would give caution to buying a laptop instead of a desktop for a personal computer if your not on the move.  

They break and snap so easily, their not really suitable for static desktops and become very expensive to fix.

Strangely a lot of people buy laptops for the look and because others have them, but not for their capabilities. Yes some do look very sleek, but remember to look at the feature set as well.

Most desktops have the option of purchasing a nice TFT screen with them, however their lifetime is small.

Regards

If your new to computers....buy the cheapest you can. It is better to buy a cheap one and replace it in 6 months once you have figured out what you want to do with it (and what annoys you about it) than to go for an expensive one that doesn't do what you want it to.

Be warned though. It doesn't matter how good your computer is. Once you put Microsoft products on it it will run like a dog!

I like ThaiAdventures advice; buy the cheapest you can. After all, you don't need the latest and greatest for word processing and surfing the internet. If its a desktop, it should have some upgrade capability.

expat2, don't you have any computer literate friends who could go along and help you buy a computer? Thats what friends are for!

• 4 years later...