Problems Getting My Netgear Wireless Router Working

mynextgig

I have an internet connection with TT&T and have recently purchased a NETGEAR DG834G wireless router to replace the standard single port ADSL2+ router that TT&T provided.

I have configured the NETGEAR router and can access maybe 2 - 3 websites, all other sites that i try to access automatically re-route me to the Routers configuration page.

The following list details the troubleshooting i have already performed, any help would be appreciated.

1. NETGEAR configured with TT&T username, password, PPPoE, LLC, VPI/VCI settings

2. NETGEAR configured for wireless with no security and my wireless laptop successfully connects to the router

3. I can connect to www.citibank.com and do my internet banking

4. I can connect to www.google.com

5. Any other website i try to connect to defaults to the NETGEAR automatic setup page

6. Running NETGEAR automatic setup, it runs for about 10 minutes and then says i have no ADSL connection

7. Switching back to my TT&T router is successful 100% of the time so no issue with the carrier

8. When the NETGEAR router is working on the 2 successful websites, my laptop connecting through wireless will also default to the NETGEAR configuration programme when trying to connect to any website.

Any idea ?

Give an example of "any other website"...or better, two or three examples.

I am curious if you could connect to same sites using the IP address rather than URL....maybe a DNS problem.

Any webiste really, but examples of the ones i have tried - www.bbc.co.uk, www.dailyfx.com, www.me.com. You may be correct that its a dns problem because the ones that have been successful are ones that i have accessed when the PC was connected to the original TT&T router and may still be in the cache. But this would be a problem with TT&T because they handle all the DNS configuration..

ok, try to connect to www.bbc.co.uk

if that fails, try 212.58.253.67

post your results back

Yep your right this works.

So the websites that worked are those that i had accessed on the old router before i switched across to the NETGEAR router and hence were still cached locally.

Trying the websites that previously worked again, they no longer work.

This also explains why an application i use to receive financial information has always worked, as it must use a different protocol which does not need DNS.

Thanks for your help, i will try the helpdesk at TT&T again.

Once i have an answer i will post it here as the Router i am using is very common !

In your netgear router, how are you getting DNS, auto-discover or user-discovered? (That is the nomenclature that my TT&T Hatari modem/router uses, yours might be different).

I am guessing that in copying the config to your new router, you might have inadvertantly hard-coded a DNS server that is not reachable.

If you do not get some satisfaction from TT&T...

You can try opendns.com....for your DNS, configure 208.67.222.222, if there is a spot for a secondary put 208.67.220.220

Might take care of your problem.

I would just add openDNS servers to your DNS servers on your netgear as 1st and second forget thai DNS servers

Thanks folks, works now !!!!

This is a NETGEAR DG834G Wireless ADSL2+ Router. The automatic config option does not work with TT&T and you have to manually configure the settings through the interface.

Maybe worth pinning this, i suspect i am not alone.