Naughty Cheats At Siam Paragon

chivo

I recently bought a krups espresso maker at siam paragon. i figured a mall of that stature would be on the up and up.

The scam occurred when after the sale was made, the employee then asks if I want to buy the water filter which is not included. He explained the benefits and it seemed a worthwhile device. I offered my credit card for the 875 thai baht purchase. He says no, that it can only be paid in cash. I found this strange, but was in a hurry so offered him a 1000 thai baht cash note.

Feeling strange I followed him silently over to where the cash register is. But he produces my change 125 baht from his own personal wallet. I ask for a reciept. He makes some excuse about can't do it now. I am in a hurry so I leave. At home, it all becomes obvious: the label on the filter says FREE SAMPLE.

So basically they got a free promotional sample that I believe is normally given to consumers but decided to make some pocket money. I guess they couldn't read the english FREE SAMPLE on the pack or hoped I wouldn't notice it.

and of course, i try to use siam paragon website to look for a contact email or complaints address and it's down.

i'm not gonna lose sleep over 875 baht, and i can't be bothered to go thru traffic to go there and make a fuss, so thought i'd pass on the reminder to you all, keep yer eyes open!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also their food court always charges double what it should be, and if you forget to keep your receipts when you go to get the refund on your card, you obviously can't prove it. this has happened to me 3 times now, because i am stupid and throw away my receipts. only about 30-40 baht worth each time, but it's still a scam.

well i guess it shows a degree of enterprise on their part ... and irrespective of whether you got what you paid for or not - any further action would have as much impact as a fart in a cow shed.

the volume of rip-offs, theft and corruption is a large part of what gives thailand such a bad name - and rightly so - but it's all part and parcel of the game here i guess.

to enjoy the game just treat it as one.

speaking of coffee - where can i buy PG Tips in this town?

How can they charge you double and not make it show up on the receipt?

it's a food court- you put money towards a card, get your food, pay what you owe. then i usually have about 40 baht left on the card but have thrown away the receipts with my food, so when i go to return the card and get a refund they give me nothing, or less than i am owed anyway.

I have been short-changed a few times at a coffee shop I go to regularly. I really have no problem with someone trying to make an extra baht for themselves, and only want to kick myself for being stupid. If you've ever been to Eastern Europe, Thailand is a piece of cake. There it's outright robbery.

true i could skytrain it, but, diminishing returns really... just a hassle... write this one off to experience...

My hats off to you Chivo as I am sure the guy who was down right irate about losing 40 baht at Carrefour over some bananas would have burnt the place to the ground over 875 baht... I say the same, 'lesson learned' and take it on the chin (or in the wallet in this case).

the management of a shopping centre like siam paragon would not be happy knowing that staff working in the stores or franchises there are behaving like that.

thai shoppers would not stand for it , so why should foreigners , if its not reported then it will just continue to happen.

we expect it at markets , but not at a mall that prides itself on good customer relations. if it happened in your own country would you just write it off ?

email: [email protected]

Address:

991/1 Rama 1 Road

Pathumwan Bangkok 10330

Tel. 0-2690-1000

Opening hour:

Daily 10.00am. -10.00 pm.

Restaurant on Gf open until 11.00pm

------------------------------------------------------

Office hour:

Mon - Fri 10.00am - 6.00pm

Office tel. 0-2610-8000

you should get in touch with the management there and report it and mention that you are posting about it on thai travel web sites.

Kriengsak Tantiphipop holds a key management position as Managing Director of The Emporium shopping complex, and takes role as Chief Marketing Officer of Siam Paragon Development Co., Ltd. His primary role is to select world class brands and local Thai to join this prestige development with the intention of providing a world class experience to shoppers from all over the world. Kriengsak began his career as an executive trainee with American Appraisal. He went on to join Kodak (Thailand), where he built his strong reputation from directing sales and marketing strategies for 5 major departments. He was later invited to join the Business Development Department at The Mall Group. His initiative and strong vision has finally brought the so-called ‘One-Stop Shopping Retail Entertainment Concept’.Kriengsak’s outstanding performance earned him promotion to managing director with responsibility for The Emporium, one of The Mall Group’s luxurious shopping complexes in Thailand.

speaking of coffee - where can i buy PG Tips in this town?

I undertook an odyssy aroound most of the food courts between Asok and National Stadium in search of Tetley tea bags. I eventually found them in Central at Chit Lom - but toooooooo expensive). I'm sure I saw PG Tips several times, but as I wasn't looking for them and they didn't register very highly. Central's pretty likely though - IIRC it's a Marks and Spencer's food hall.

Cheers,

K.

the management of a shopping centre like siam paragon would not be happy knowing that staff working in the stores or franchises there are behaving like that.

The only thing the management of the shopping center is not happy about is that the clerk did not remove the "free sample" tag on the item thus causing a slight loss of face over an action that they would otherwise give a wink and a nod to.

I had a similar experience at a steak counter at Central World. I ordered a premium price Australian steak and was served Thai beef (I know because I had had the same meal at the same place before and the taste was totally different). The clerk wrote up my tab on a piece of scrap paper (there was no doubt he just stole the money). I was not in the mood to make a federal case, just never return.

I recently bought a krups espresso maker at siam paragon. i figured a mall of that stature would be on the up and up.

The scam occurred <snip>

Go back with a mate. Let him do the same deal while you get the management. Just as the guy hands over the 125 baht change, get the management involved.

Could be an interesting way to spend the afternoon.

Edit:

P.S. "Free" in Thai is ฟรี and is pronounced "free". You see it on a lot of signs in shops.

Edited by JetsetBkk

The scam occurred when after the sale was made, the employee then asks if I want to buy the water filter which is not included. He explained the benefits and it seemed a worthwhile device. I offered my credit card for the 875 thai baht purchase. He says no, that it can only be paid in cash. I found this strange, but was in a hurry so offered him a 1000 thai baht cash note.

Feeling strange I followed him silently over to where the cash register is. But he produces my change 125 baht from his own personal wallet. I ask for a reciept. He makes some excuse about can't do it now. I am in a hurry so I leave. At home, it all becomes obvious: the label on the filter says FREE SAMPLE.

So basically they got a free promotional sample that I believe is normally given to consumers but decided to make some pocket money. I guess they couldn't read the english FREE SAMPLE on the pack or hoped I wouldn't notice it.

and of course, i try to use siam paragon website to look for a contact email or complaints address and it's down.

i'm not gonna lose sleep over 875 baht, and i can't be bothered to go thru traffic to go there and make a fuss, so thought i'd pass on the reminder to you all, keep yer eyes open!

It’s a nice little illusion to think that because you are in a high-end department store you will not be subject to staff rip offs. The most common one I have encountered is not giving customers their sales discount. Several times at Emporium, Central and Paragon, I have had to physically pick up the sign and insist on the discount. Some staff are very amusing once they get caught going so far as to say “I did not think you wanted the discount”. One even told me the discount was for Thai people only. Give me a break. I am not sure what their motivation is – do they get more commission not giving you the discount? I have also had similar experiences to the OP, but more in terms of not being given the promotional items that accompany the sale. Sadly for these thieves I can read Thai and know what I am entitled to.

Edited by Furbie

Try India if you want to see street-vendor rip-offs. Short-changing, distractions, switching your purchase for inferior goods.

And they are proud of it.

i think you are only trying to give india bad press in a thai forum....:o

...but somehow your post has pulled siam paragon down to the same level as the street vendors in india.....this should indeed make them feel proud...:D

I bought the same thing from the same place about 6 months ago and the filter came with the device. All I can say is that I would not have left without a receipt and without the manager knowing. I don't accept that complaining about rip offs is a waste of time. Get a receipt or get the manager, or both!

I bought the same thing from the same place about 6 months ago and the filter came with the device. All I can say is that I would not have left without a receipt and without the manager knowing. I don't accept that complaining about rip offs is a waste of time. Get a receipt or get the manager, or both!

Always check the cash register is giving the correct price as displayed , that is why there is a screen for your perusal , always check the contents of the box that it contains all that is listed on the outside , always check your change before you leave the cash-out and ensure you get a reciept for your purchases , and ALWAYS complain if there is a problem or discrepancy because NOTHING will ever change if you do not .

When i purchase any electrical goods , i get the staff to plug them in to ensure they actualy work , always keep the original packaging with the reciept , gives me ammunition if i need to return faulty goods .

I've noticed in many places they sell sometimes free samples, usually of goods that come from abroad...

After paying for some medications at a well-known hospital's pharmacy, I discovered they were imprinted "free sample"

On a different but to my mind related point even Siam Ocean World (in the same building) is jumping on the bandwagon with two-tier pricing. After an initial period when everybody paid the same, they have now got different prices for Thais and non-Thais. Another rip-off!

I remember buying a TV at a Comet or similar in London a few years ago. The young assistant asked if I wanted the stand to go with it at the time of sale. I didn't cos it was an extra £100. As he was wheeling the TV out to the car he asked would I be interested in the stand for £30. I said maybe, but at £20 I'd be reaching for the note. With that he moved the TV and he'd brought the stand out anyway just in case, without putting it through the till. Deal done as he was loading them into the car.

Am I bad for not getting the manager and telling him that this young chap is ripping off the chain? Hypocritically I would have if the guy was ripping me off (like with the coffee filter) but as I was getting a tempting deal on the stand I kept it shut.